View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 I'm watchin the receivers run their 40's 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: I'm watchin the receivers run their 40's
MdDolfan wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
MdDolfan wrote:
I also LOVE the deep rout over the shoulder drill...shows the hand eye coordination.

yup. and Goodwin was exposed for being more of a trackster than a receiver. Very underused at Texas.

Did he struggle in the drills? Ive only seen highlight videos of him, does anyone know if he has good hands?

He barely played at Texas. I wouldnt take him.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:51 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

MdDolfan wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
MdDolfan wrote:
I also LOVE the deep rout over the shoulder drill...shows the hand eye coordination.

yup. and Goodwin was exposed for being more of a trackster than a receiver. Very underused at Texas.

Did he struggle in the drills? Ive only seen highlight videos of him, does anyone know if he has good hands?

Nope. He looked great, from what I heard.

He was tremendous in the Sr. Bowl. Beat press consistently, caught everything, played as fast as he times.

I don't get why he wasn't used in Texas more. Being the 3rd option, and way behind the first 2 guys (neither of which are draftable players, IMO), with his skill set is unexplainable knowing what we know. Which means there must be something we don't know....Or Mak Brown and his coaching staff are a bunch of complete idiots. One or the other. Both believable.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:55 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

What all these fast 40 times tell me is that these kids are taking combine preparation serious. In recent years, a lot of players have been going to camps to help them perform better in measureables.

There are ways to shave time off on the 40. From the way you start to, for longer guys, learning how to take quicker steps early and turn them into longer strides towards the end of the run.

At the end of the day, you still have to put on the tape and watch the football player and not become enamored solely with what time he can get in the 40, in a controlled environment and in a straight line.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:04 pm

Rich wrote:
What all these fast 40 times tell me is that these kids are taking combine preparation serious. In recent years, a lot of players have been going to camps to help them perform better in measureables.

There are ways to shave time off on the 40. From the way you start to, for longer guys, learning how to take quicker steps early and turn them into longer strides towards the end of the run.

At the end of the day, you still have to put on the tape and watch the football player and not become enamored solely with what time he can get in the 40, in a controlled environment and in a straight line.

It's something to talk about, but it means close to nothing.

No GM's opinions are getting changed any significant amount based on a 40.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:07 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Nope. He looked great, from what I heard.

He was tremendous in the Sr. Bowl. Beat press consistently, caught everything, played as fast as he times.

I don't get why he wasn't used in Texas more. Being the 3rd option, and way behind the first 2 guys (neither of which are draftable players, IMO), with his skill set is unexplainable knowing what we know. Which means there must be something we don't know....Or Mak Brown and his coaching staff are a bunch of complete idiots. One or the other. Both believable.[/quote]

It all sounds confusing because I also heard he did well at the SB and he plays as fast as he runs. But as much as Texas struggled why wouldn't he be 1st or 2nd option. If he is still there in the 4th I hope we pick him up!

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:35 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

the NFL network panel doesnt trust him as a player and even compared him to Clyde Gates. Yikes!
(he's also only 5'8")
Too many good proven receivers in this draft I'd rather have over Goodwin. But he'll get bumped way up purely on his 40 time. At least with Austin he has a proven resume, not just speed.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Steve Zissou wrote:
Justin Hunter - 6'4" running 4.4's . . . Wouldn't be upset if that was our 2nd pick

:yay: :yay: :yay:

You and me both. Hunter is a beast. He's a better prospect than Patterson in my opinion. He's two inches taller, got better jump ball skills, and he's just as fast on the outside. If you look at Hunter's numbers before he got hurt, he was playing the same position as Patterson and putting up much bigger numbers. The kid averaged 25 yards per catch and scored 7 touchdowns in 2010 on only 16 catches!!! This kid spent 2012 learning to play three different receiver roles, and he was also having to come back from injury. A full healthy player going into 2013, this kid is a big play receiver waiting to happen. I really hope we snag him with our 2nd round pick.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:52 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
No GM's opinions are getting changed any significant amount based on a 40.

RIP Al Davis

Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2