View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Ireland still believes in Egnew 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Ireland still believes in Egnew
http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/2/23/4 ... hael-egnew

Quote:
Earlier this week, Dolphins general manager Jeff ireland was asked by WQAM's Joe Rose about Egnew, and what he sees in the disappointing rookie. "I see a 6-4, 260-pound guy who runs a 4.65," Ireland responded. "I see a guy having vertical speed down the middle of the field. I see a big guy that moves well. I see a developing player with his hand in the dirt.

"I see a competitive guy. I can name several players at that position that did very little in their first year and became big time playmakers. That's a position that develops differently. Other than quarterback, that position is the most mentally and physically demanding."

Despite Egnew only playing 25 snaps this season, the Dolphins seem to not have given up hope on him developing for 2013. However, reports from anonymous Dolphins players continue to leak out, expressing just how bad a year Egnew had last year. This week, a Miami Herald report stated Egnew was still having problems in Week 17 learning and remembering the team's game plan and play book.

Personally, I have defended Egnew because I feel that, as Dolphins fans, we have gotten way to quick to declare someone a bust, never allowing a player time to adjust to the NFL. Tight ends do develop slowly sometimes, including a player like Jermichael Finley, who many Dolphins fans want to acquire this offseason. Finley only caught six passes his rookie season. Egnew has talent, and could become a weapon for the Dolphins. While at Missouri, Egnew was used more like a slot receiver than as a true, in line tight end; Egnew had to learn how to play with his hand in the dirt and, essentially, how to block.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:58 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Ireland still believes in Egnew
Ireland see stats.

Unfortunately the football field doesn't give a shhhhhhhhhhhhhh ..............

The guys has the gonads of a 5 year old.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:14 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

The only reason he's being given another shot is because Ireland invested a third round pick on him.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:57 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

TommyNoleFin wrote:
The only reason he's being given another shot is because Ireland invested a third round pick on him.

I agree but somewhere DEEP down inside me I hope this kid is reading what everybody is saying about him and works his butt off in the offseason to get in the field. If he doesn't show anything in preseason....so long Egnew!

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:55 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

I read that Egnew is taking the "soft" label seriously. He's been practicing MMA during the offseason with American Top Team, one of the premiere MMA teams in the country.

Antonio Silva, who viciously knocked out Alistair Overeem recently, Thiago Alves and Thiago Silva are some of the prominent fighters that have come out of ATT.

Here's hoping they can not only help him with his toughness, but with his agility as well.

He needs all the help he can get.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]