View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Report: MIA has made Long 'multiple' offers 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Report: MIA has made Long 'multiple' offers
Quote:
Report: MIA has made Long 'multiple' offers

MIAMI HERALD (ARMANDO SALGUERO): "Obviously, the idea of Long returning to the Dolphins isn't totally on the Dolphins. The club wants Long to return. Long wants to return. But Long wants to be paid a salary akin to the highest left tackle in football or close to it -- a status he's enjoyed most of his career. The Dolphins are not there right now. They see a player who's been injured each of the last two years and who is no longer as athletic as he was before. They are somewhat concerned he has started to break down and want to protect themselves. The club has made Long multiple offers but no deal. I'm not getting the idea Long's side is really budging all that much, sensing it has leverage."
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... phins.html

NBC SPORTS: "There were reports in January the Dolphins made a "low-ball attempt" to lock Long up in-season, but this is the first we've heard of offseason offers. Clearly, none of them have been to Long's liking. Beat writer Armando Salguero is "getting the idea" Long's side isn't budging on its demands, and "sensing it has leverage." Long said Tuesday it was on the Dolphins to make a deal happen. They must believe it's on him to be more reasonable."

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/50862936/ ... ayer_news/

Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:22 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: Report: MIA has made Long 'multiple' offers
Sounds like its time to move on from the Parcells & Sparano guys. We have a new regime with new philosophies that gear toward agile OL and speed over size. Long has been a warrior for the Phins but it's time for him to pack his bags and play out the rest of his career elsewhere.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:38 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The draft class appears to have some quality OT options so maybe teams won't throw huge dollars at Long. I've been convinced for a while that he'll end up in SD or Chicago with a big contract but both teams are well positioned to get help through the draft.

Maybe Ireland waits him out and Long crawls back on his hands and knees to accept a team friendly deal.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:42 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If the Dolphins keep throwing cheap offers out there, then Long is likely gone. That said, I agree with the Phins for not throwing big money at the guy. He's just too much of a risk at this point in his career. There are just too many questions about his durability right now to pay him big money.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:07 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

wkloiber13 wrote:
If the Dolphins keep throwing cheap offers out there, then Long is likely gone. That said, I agree with the Phins for not throwing big money at the guy. He's just too much of a risk at this point in his career. There are just too many questions about his durability right now to pay him big money.

I agree. While the last 2 years of injuries and drop in play has dropped Long out of the elite catagory, I still consider him to be solid. Make him a solid offer that he and the team can live with. If he turns it down, then he is looking for the dollars.

And no, I am not one of those that begrudge the guys the money they get, but Jake has been the highest paid OL in the league for a good bit of time until Joe Thomas got his new contract a few years ago.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Let Long Walk!

Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:18 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Jake Long is the second coming of Tony Boselli. He is a great player when healthy. The problem is, he won't be 100% healthy ever again.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]