View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Dose of Reality 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Dose of Reality
http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... er-market/

There is going to be some serious competition in the wide receiver market. I know we all talk here like its guarantee we land one of the big names but rosters are going to start getting purged, opening up money, and the reality is that Miami may not land one of the bigger names.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:33 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Dose of Reality
Well, the recent track record in Miami almost guarantees we won't land any of those receivers. The team is typically cheap and it is hard to convince a player to come to a perennial loser when playoff teams are vying for his talents.

I think Bowe stays in KC. I don't see Miami spending enough money to lure Wallace. I actually hope we don't get Jennings. He is old, injured and won't be worth the money he will want.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:37 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

We have a nice amount of breathing room with 46 mil in cap space. Should be able to make some moves.

We get a bunch of BS from the FO, one sentence its looking to fill holes, next sentence FA is not the answer.. Its obvious they will sign FA's, Dansby, Marshall etc.. So I will never buy the line that they are only looking to the draft.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:43 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Well, the recent track record in Miami almost guarantees we won't land any of those receivers. The team is typically cheap and it is hard to convince a player to come to a perennial loser when playoff teams are vying for his talents.

I think Bowe stays in KC. I don't see Miami spending enough money to lure Wallace. I actually hope we don't get Jennings. He is old, injured and won't be worth the money he will want.

Its hard to say because we don't know what was Ireland and what was Parcells for 2008-2010.

I agree that Bowe stays in KC, especially with Reid wanting to give a new QB a safer target.

The thing with Ireland is that his job is on the line. He needs both short and long term answers. This will be a test of how far he is willing to go.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Another dose of hypothetical reality... The Patriots let Welker walk & trade for Percy Harvin. FML...

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:54 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

jammer wrote:

The thing with Ireland is that his job is on the line. He needs both short and long term answers. This will be a test of how far he is willing to go.

I think the hot seat is simply a media myth. I have seen nothing that indicates his decisions are based on short term, they have all been long term.The marshall trade, the Davis trade, no urgency to sign our FA's.
It looks to me like a team in the beginning of a rebuild.

Now how many moves were hi before is a question tho.. Parcels claims he controlled the draft 08 - 10, and I know Sparano had say in personnel in 2011. So who really knows...

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:55 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
jammer wrote:

I think the hot seat is simply a media myth. I have seen nothing that indicates his decisions are based on short term, they have all been long term.The marshall trade, the Davis trade, no urgency to sign our FA's.

I agree. Ross stressed consistency. I don't think that means Ireland has a ton of job security, but it doesn't mean he's gone if he doesn't draft 3 rookie day 1 starters either. Personally, progress is the key.

10acjed wrote:

More like the middle. 2012 saw a new HC, new defensive scheme, drafting a rookie QB, and the beginning of a purge of existing starters.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

10acjed wrote:
jammer wrote:

I think Ireland is gone after this year if Miami doesn't make the playoffs. A lot of this will depend on whether Tannehill continues to improve. But Miami has to make a splash in free agency this year to sell more tickets and fill the stadium. That splash begins with a big name free agent WR. IMO, With the cap space and draft choices available, this is Ireland's last chance to produce a playoff team.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:50 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

This is what I've been trying to say. I won't be surprised, and won't lose sleep over the WR position looking like it did last season, heading into the draft.

Wallace/Jennings is absolutely not a given.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:37 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phins Rock wrote:
This is what I've been trying to say. I won't be surprised, and won't lose sleep over the WR position looking like it did last season, heading into the draft.

It's not a given, but Miami is in a strong position with the salary cap. The pressure is on Jeff Ireland this year like no other. WR is one of the MAIN positions that need to be addressed.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:53 pm

phinsfansc wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

It's not a given, but Miami is in a strong position with the salary cap. The pressure is on Jeff Ireland this year like no other. WR is one of the MAIN positions that need to be addressed.

Wallace is a hell of a deep threat. Jennings has been a very good WR over the last 5-6 years.

But are either of them worth the money that might come their way? And if so, would they be worth it if they weren't the only 2 options in Free Agency?

Have to be careful to not spend money for the sake of spending it. I'm not convinced Wallace is worth 11 million, nor Jennings worth the money somebody might pony up for him.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:02 am

While I am not crazy about him , Jennings is as close to a given as you can get & if we do not get him the reasoning why should be interesting.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:01 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
Have to be careful to not spend money for the sake of spending it.

Spoken like a true 2013 Red Sox fan and I'm right there with you in terms of not spending just to spend.

However, Wallace or Jennings would do a lot more for the biggest investment, Tannehill, than any rookie. The Marshall trade and sign showed that you can at least get out from something after a couple of years if need be.

If Ireland wants to go thru the draft then I really hope he at least re-signs Hartline first.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:38 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Signing a guy like Wallace is not spending just to spend. It's spending to add a dimension to your offense that doesn't exist today.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]