View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Mel Kiper & Todd McShay Mock Draft 4.0 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Mel Kiper & Todd McShay Mock Draft 4.0
Quote:
Mel Kiper & Todd McShay Mock Draft 4.0
By Mel Kiper and Todd McShay
ESPN.com

The draft is getting close, but the experts can't agree on many picks

It's been a full month since the last time we joined forces for a mock draft, and while a lot of things have changed -- nearly every player on this mock went through a pro day during that period -- some mock scenarios have remained.

But not many. That's because the added evaluation process truly has brought about some changes on our boards. Players who struggled at the combine and lost some momentum regained it, and there are a number of players in the mock who are showing off their physical skills in workouts for the first time after not being fully healthy to participate in Indy.

As for changes, the mood at the very top has stayed relatively consistent -- chalk that one up to Sam Bradford's solid performance for scouts recently -- but beyond that, there are many changes. Free agency and trades have shifted priorities, and the mock will show a lot of shifts.

12. Mel Kiper
Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee

Kiper: Getting Karlos Dansby minimizes a need for a player like Rolando McClain here, and the Dolphins are thin up front, and also facing suspensions (Jason Ferguson). I liked Williams here before, and I still do. A great leverage player, he can occupy blockers and disrupt for the Fins.

12. Todd McShay
Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech

McShay: We would like to see Morgan in a 4-3 front, but Miami's 3-4 scheme features bigger bodies up front and Morgan would provide the pass-rush ability and toughness against the run a depleted Miami front seven desperately needs.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/ ... id=5059813

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:59 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Re: Mel Kiper & Todd McShay Mock Draft 4.0
:hithead: Do you guys realy think we need that much help on the d-line to pick eather of these guys before we get a top (wr) i.e Dez or (fs) Taylor I mean everyone knows that the Tuna likes his player big and who is bigger at there positions than Dez or Taylor. we can get a big man for d-line in the later rounds dont think we should rush into d-line with the 12 pick

Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:18 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Mel Kiper & Todd McShay Mock Draft 4.0
phinphan-n-buffalo wrote:
:hithead: Do you guys realy think we need that much help on the d-line to pick eather of these guys before we get a top (wr) i.e Dez or (fs) Taylor I mean everyone knows that the Tuna likes his player big and who is bigger at there positions than Dez or Taylor. we can get a big man for d-line in the later rounds dont think we should rush into d-line with the 12 pick

Bryant can't be picked if he isnt available. There are lots of good Receivers later in the draft. Golden Tate, Eric Decker, Carlton Mitchell, Riley Cooper, Mike Williams and Marcus Easley just to name a few.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:02 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Ggippo....how many of those guys are legit number 1? Most of those guys are either very developmental, or 3rd and 4th WR's.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:00 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Re: Mel Kiper & Todd McShay Mock Draft 4.0
Ggippo: Im just saying that a (dt) with the 12 pick we can get one later in the draft I think that Dez will be there for use if not then we can go deffence. But still say he will be there for use

Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:52 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Ggippo....how many of those guys are legit number 1?

How many in this draft are? Nobody knows.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:17 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Exactly its a huge mystery. WR's are drafted early and end up bust all the time and vice versa

Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:36 pm

ggippo wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Exactly its a huge mystery. WR's are drafted early and end up bust all the time and vice versa

How many of those had the complete package that Dez has?

I've said this before and I'll say this again. Most WR's that bust either were pure speedsters coming out, had character issues, or went to terrible organizations. I don't think we or Dez fit any of those things.

You look at the busts taken in the top 15 in recent years:

Donte' Stallworth - Pure speedster
Charles Rogers - Lions, character issues
Roy Williams - Lions, lazy as hell
Reggie Williams - Not a complete bust, but very underwhelming.
Michael Clayton - Great rookie season, not sure what has happened since.
Troy Williamson - Pure speedster.
Mike Williams - Character issues.
Ted Ginn - Pure speedster, not a complete bust.
Darrius Heyward-Bey - Pure speedster.

With the exception of Clayton, and maybe Reggie Williams, most of those guys had bust written all over them.

And none of them, maybe with the exception of Charles Rodgers, had the skill set that Dez Bryant has.

Bryant is one of the best WR's to come out this decade, and more times than not, WR's of his caliber with the right mind set work out.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:08 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I like Bryant at pick 12 just dont think he will be there. However if you ask me how many of the guys that I listed besides Bryant are true number ones honestly nobody knows. Carlton Mitchell has been compared to Brandon Marshall.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:16 pm

ggippo wrote:
I like Bryant at pick 12 just dont think he will be there. However if you ask me how many of the guys that I listed besides Bryant are true number ones honestly nobody knows. Carlton Mitchell has been compared to Brandon Marshall.

We already have a Carlton Mitchell on our Practice Squad....Taurus Johnson, also out of USF. Mirror images of each other.

Mitchell is nothing like Brandon Marshall though....not sure where those comparisons come from.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:20 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Ggippo: Im just saying that a (dt) with the 12 pick we can get one later in the draft I think that Dez will be there for use if not then we can go deffence. But still say he will be there for use

I agree w/ the point of taking a DT at #12... I don't like that pick, I think Williams is a reach right there. If Bryant was there I wouldn't mind that pick either, but I'd still like to go with a LB here in the 1st with either McClain, Morgan or someone like Brandon Graham who can likely hybrid it.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:49 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I remember when Phins Rock was telling me how great Williamson is, and how he was poised to have this season without Favre...and now he's labeling him a bust.
Gets more and more ridiculous every day.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:51 pm

Iowafin wrote:
I remember when Phins Rock was telling me how great Williamson is, and how he was poised to have this season without Favre...and now he's labeling him a bust.
Gets more and more ridiculous every day.

??

When did Williamson ever play with Favre?

Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:11 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

IamPZ wrote:

I agree w/ the point of taking a DT at #12... I don't like that pick, I think Williams is a reach right there. If Bryant was there I wouldn't mind that pick either, but I'd still like to go with a LB here in the 1st with either McClain, Morgan or someone like Brandon Graham who can likely hybrid it.

I think at 12 Dez will still be there but if not still dont like a (dt) here a (lb) yeah but not (dt)

Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]