View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ] 
 Kenny Vaccaro - Safety 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Post Kenny Vaccaro - Safety
I'm starting to really like Vaccaro and so are NFL scouts and GM's. He's an all around stud. And alot of people compare him to Adrian Wilson. Hits hard, always around the ball, great hands, makes interceptions and forces fumbles. Would be a dynamic duo with Reshad Jones. Experts are now saying he will likely go top 8, so we may not have a shot, but if he is there I would take him.

Quote:
Russ Lande of the National Football Post suggests Texas S Kenny Vaccaro could be a top-five pick in April's NFL Draft.
"Everybody has him in the top ten," Lande said. "He’s a ball-hawking safety that can come up and hit and tackle. He’s the real deal. I wouldn’t be shocked if Detroit — if there’s no elite pass-rusher there — Detroit at No. 5 may take him. He’s really good." A first-team All-Big 12 pick in both 2011 and 2012, Vaccaro amassed 107 tackles as a senior and recorded five career interceptions. Jan 25 - 8:31 PM
Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:47 am

Post Re: Kenny Vaccaro - Safety
Quote:
Vaccaro was very good in 2012. He was a tough run-defender while covering a lot of ground in pass defense. Vaccaro recorded 92 tackles, 4.5 tackles for a loss, five passes defensed, two interceptions and two forced fumbles this season.

The senior stepped up with a good game against West Virginia's high-powered offense. He had 11 tackles with a tackle for a loss and wasn't overmatched with the Mountaineers' speed receivers. Vaccaro helped himself with a good tape from that outing. He also had impressive games against Kansas State and TCU. Scouts were disappointed Vaccaro passed on the Senior Bowl, but it wasn't surprising since his stock has been rising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vd8KrpbG3g

he's like a heat seeking missile in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W2vFYz-1pE

Last edited by swerve13 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:06 am, edited 5 times in total.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:02 am

this analysis says it all

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/future ... ny-vacarro

Quote:
Studying football players is a solitary pursuit. So it feels good when a performance catches your attention and months later you learn that it did the same for another writer, scout, or talent evaluator. Everyone enjoys that kind of validation.
One of those moments occurred last spring when I was watching Keenan Allen. As fun as it was to watch the Cal receiver, I couldn’t keep my eyes off Texas’ Kenny Vaccaro.
The free safety didn’t have an incredible game, but his potential leaped off the screen -– and in one case, over running back Iso Sofele (see below) -– as a versatile prospect capable of starting at either safety position as well as being a force on special teams. According to Orangebloods.com writer Chip Brown, it was this Cal game that had an NFL scout tell him that Vaccaro would have been "the best Longhorn in the [2012 NFL Draft] ... He might have been a first-rounder with the way he can cover and the way he defends the run."

Vacarro might be the most impressive defender on an underachieving Longhorns defensive unit. Six defensive backs from Texas have earned top-50 selections in the NFL Draft, Vaccaro is likely to become the seventh in 2013. There’s a lot to like about his game.
Although his edge sometimes crosses the line to recklessness, I love Vaccaro’s ability to play with abandon. Once he improves his ability to disengage from blockers, he’ll be a consistent force in the box. As good of a tackler as he is and will become, the most impressive thing about Vacarro’s game is his pass defense. He can cover elite college receivers as disparate as the 6-foot-3, 210-pound Keenan Allen and the 5-foot-9, 174-pound Tavon Austin. While he’ll lose a battle or two, he’s shown that he can win these matchups when examining the overall scope of the game. Size. Speed. Skill. Intensity. Vaccaro has it all.

Quote:
Vaccaro had responsibility in some form of coverage on Austin on 26 of Smith’s throws, but Austin’s production on those plays was minimal. Six of these plays were attempts with Vaccaro in shallow zone coverage. On those plays Austin had 21 yards on two catches –- and the longest came after he left the free safety’s zone. Austin was open four times and only once was this in Vaccaro’s area. On that play, the safety made the tackle.
What’s far more impressive is the number of times Vaccaro faced Austin in single coverage. The safety had Austin one-on-one on 18 pass plays; only three times did Vaccaro receive help from an additional defender in bracket coverage. The other 15 times Vaccaro covered Austin heads-up.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:05 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Your secondary is only as good as your front 7. No way do you take a safety 1st rd.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:34 am

Makchell wrote:
Your secondary is only as good as your front 7. No way do you take a safety 1st rd.

you do if he's 'by far' the best player on your board at the time. This guy plays like a front 7 player. We might get a guy like Datone Jones in the 2nd round who is just as good of an end as Ezekial Ansah. But Vaccaro changes your defense and impacts the game like a Bob Sanders/Ed Reed/Adrian Wilson. He gives QB's and Coordinaters fits. He plays like a corner and a linebacker.

And I also believe pass rush is important, but the only two that I would take over this guy are Damontre Moore and Bjoern Werner. But they likely won't be there.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:40 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Couldn't agree with you more Swerve...........to make a blanket statement, that you don't take a safety with your first round pick is a bit out there. If teams knew what Troy Palamalu, Ed Reed or Ronnie Lott would produce, they likely have been taken in the first 3 picks of their respective drafts.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:27 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

swerve, you got me sold on Enzekial Ansah. After seeing him dominate the Senior Bowl, I am just salivating at him at one DE and Cameron Wake at the other DE. Improve that pass rush, and your secondary play will get better. Miami will not have to blitz as much if they can create pressure with their front 4, or bring just an extra guy every now and then.

Miami is not going to have to sign Chris Clemons to a mega deal, and he is a solid young safety along with Reshad.

Miami needs cornerbacks, even more so with the fact that it looks like Sean Smith will not be back.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:40 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Ansah is a sensational athlete.

Sensational pass rusher? Not so much.

I'm cooling off on him. I don't see him as an elite edge rusher.

That said, kick him inside and you've got yourself Justin Tuck.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:38 pm

phinsfansc wrote:
swerve, you got me sold on Enzekial Ansah. After seeing him dominate the Senior Bowl, I am just salivating at him at one DE and Cameron Wake at the other DE. Improve that pass rush, and your secondary play will get better. Miami will not have to blitz as much if they can create pressure with their front 4, or bring just an extra guy every now and then.

Miami is not going to have to sign Chris Clemons to a mega deal, and he is a solid young safety along with Reshad.

Miami needs cornerbacks, even more so with the fact that it looks like Sean Smith will not be back.

from what i've been reading SC, scouts are of the mind that Ansah is settling in at that top 20, maybe top 15 range. And Vaccaro is rising into the top 10. If Vaccaro is still avilable I think that Ireland would select him over Ansah. Like PR I have also cooled some on Ansah. He only produced 4.5 sacks this year and he lacks pass rush skills. He's more of a run stuffer/bullrusher. Not sure if that's good enough for the 12th pick. I'm starting to really get excited about this Datone Jones. Onlookers were raving about this guy. Jones was better than Ansah against the top offensive tackles. Would love to get him and Vaccaro if possible.

Quote:
When asked who the "next big thing" will be from the 2013 draft class, CBS Sports' Pete Prisco answered with UCLA DL Datone Jones.
Prisco cited Jones' dominant Senior Bowl practices, even when facing Eric Fisher, as evidence. Jones did have a great week of drills and offers a lot of positional versatility in terms of rushing for the edge or inside. Still, he was caught hand fighting too much at UCLA, something that needs to change in order to succeed in the NFL. Jan 28 - 3:24 PM
Source: CBS Sports

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:37 am

Quote:
Defensive Linemen

1. Ezekiel Ansah (6052/274), BYU - The inexperienced end certainly wasn’t productive in practice, appearing as though he was thinking rather than reacting. You aren’t getting a natural edge rusher with Ansah, so don’t expect JPP. Instead, the BYU product’s best role may be to grow into the five-technique end role in a three man front. Once in space, his closing speed is the best in the draft. Ansah just has to learn how to create that space and shed blocks. His strength on first contact and run defense is already good.

2. Datone Jones (6041/280), UCLA - During practice, Jones looked like the player we had hoped Ansah would show up as. He won with quickness inside or strength on first contact as an edge rusher. Because he wins from multiple places, Jones has earned the versatile label, but he needs to stop hand fighting at the line of scrimmage as much.

-Josh Norris

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:38 am

the good thing about this draft to me is that it's very deep at corner and seems to keep getting deeper. I think we can find 2 or 3 nice corners in rounds 2 thru 5.

a few mid round guys I like are Jamar Taylor, B.W. Webb and Robert Alford

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:57 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Couldn't agree with you more Swerve...........to make a blanket statement, that you don't take a safety with your first round pick is a bit out there. If teams knew what Troy Palamalu, Ed Reed or Ronnie Lott would produce, they likely have been taken in the first 3 picks of their respective drafts

Hindsight is 20/20. Sure, if you "knew" he would be like those three, sure. But you actually made my "out there point" by stating 3 safeties that made an impact dating allllllll the way back to the early 80's. I don't like my chances. You don't draft a safety in the 1st rd IMO, just like you don't a TE or a kicker in the 1st rd. again, just my opinion.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:55 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phins Rock wrote:

He is RAW. Kid has been playing football for 2 years and a starter for the 1st time this past football season.

He needs development, sure, but he has raw tools that a coach like Kacy Rodgers can take this kid to another level. I hate to let a Jason-Pierre Paul type talent slip away. By the way JP, you were WRONG on JPP........... :ann0y:

swerve, after the performance in the Senior Bowl, I would think his stock might be a little higher. And I expect this kid to BLOW UP at the combine. If he does, He could be top 10.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:54 pm

phinsfansc wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

He is RAW. Kid has been playing football for 2 years and a starter for the 1st time this past football season.

He needs development, sure, but he has raw tools that a coach like Kacy Rodgers can take this kid to another level. I hate to let a Jason-Pierre Paul type talent slip away. By the way JP, you were WRONG on JPP........... :ann0y:

swerve, after the performance in the Senior Bowl, I would think his stock might be a little higher. And I expect this kid to BLOW UP at the combine. If he does, He could be top 10.

I was. But Ansah isn't JPP, Tony...

Pierre Paul was an absolute freak. Bigger, longer arms, quicker than Ansah is.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:34 pm

phinsfansc wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

He only played well in the actual senior game. He was lacking in the entire week of practices.
And the JPP comparisons were way off according to experts that watched him this week.

Quote:
One NFL scout downplayed comparisons of BYU DE Ezekiel Ansah to Jason Pierre-Paul.
"When I went to Mobile I heard all this buzz – Jason Pierre-Paul and that kind of stuff," the scout said. "He isn’t Pierre-Paul. He is not as shifty. He is not as urgent. He’s not as slippery as a rusher. He’s more powerful than he is a finesse guy. Pierre-Paul is a finesse guy and a power guy. I like Ansah but I think he is a project." The scout essentially said that Ansah doesn't know how to rush the passer yet because he is so inexperienced.

It's hard to draft a project at 12

Last edited by swerve13 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:44 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

He only played well in the actual senior game. He was lacking in the entire week of practices.
On the JPP comparisons were way off on him

Do you think he will slip Swerve? JP?

Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:46 pm

Swerve, I agree with that scout's assessment. I think Ansah is much more Tuck than he is JPP.

OK rusher from the edge, but it's when you kick him inside on 3rd down that he'll create havoc.

For the record I'm fine with that. A pressure player is a pressure player...Whether we compliment Wake with Justin Smith or Aldon Smith, it doesn't make a difference to me.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:47 pm

Makchell wrote:
On the JPP comparisons were way off on him

Do you think he will slip Swerve? JP?

The DE/OLB class is too good to take Ansah top 10. I think he'll be there for Miami.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:48 pm

in my updated Mock I have us taking Vaccaro and have Ansah slipping to Dallas.
In round 2 I have us getting Markus Wheaton at 42 and Datone Jones at 54.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:52 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I know Ansah did not light it up in the practices. He DOMINATED the game.

Jason-Pierre Paul 6'5, 270 lbs, 34 3/4 arm length, out of college from Combine
Enzekial Ansah 6'5 1/4, 274 lbs, 34 5/8 arm length, out of college at Senior Bowl

Jason-Pierre Paul 45 tackles, 16.5 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks in his last season at USF
Enzekial Ansah 62 tackles, 13.0 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks in his last season at BYU

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:11 pm

to tell the truth I'm not 100% sold on Pierre-Paul yet either. I think the media way overhyped him too soon after that one breakout year. I mean some people were naming him as the best defender in the league going into this season and he registered "6.5" sacks????? really?

Wake blows him away. So does Ware, Watt, Miller and Aldon Smith.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:11 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

A lot of the big passing plays we gave up this year wasn't because our cornerbacks blew coverage, but rather because of miscommunication between the corners and Clemons. Clemons for whatever reason always seems to be out of position. He misreads the play a lot. I have zero faith that Clemons will ever be a solid free safety.
It would be a huge boost if we were able to add a ballhawking free safety either in the 1st or 2nd round this year. Vaccaro seems to fit the bill. I'd be happy if we were able to get Vaccaro (FS) in the 1st, Amerson (CB) in the 2nd, and the Honey Badger (Nickel CB) in the 3rd. Then add a pair of receivers with the extra 2nd and 3rd we have.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:23 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

swerve13 wrote:
to tell the truth I'm not 100% sold on Pierre-Paul yet either. I think the media way overhyped him too soon after that one breakout year. I mean some people were naming him as the best defender in the league going into this season and he registered "6.5" sacks????? really?

Sacks can be misleading.

Jason Taylor only had 2.5 sacks his third year in the league despite playing 15 games.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:33 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Sacks can be misleading.

Jason Taylor only had 2.5 sacks his third year in the league despite playing 15 games.

I agree, sacks don't tell the whole story. You don't have to sack the quarterback to have an impact. If a defensive end draws constant double teams, pressures the quarterback six times, and knocks the quarterback down three times, did he have a bad game? Definitely not, that player had an impact, even if it didn't show up on the stat sheet.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:42 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

swerve13 wrote:
I'm starting to really like Vaccaro and so are NFL scouts and GM's. He's an all around stud. And alot of people compare him to Adrian Wilson. Hits hard, always around the ball, great hands, makes interceptions and forces fumbles. Would be a dynamic duo with Reshad Jones. Experts are now saying he will likely go top 8, so we may not have a shot, but if he is there I would take him.

Quote:
Russ Lande of the National Football Post suggests Texas S Kenny Vaccaro could be a top-five pick in April's NFL Draft.
"Everybody has him in the top ten," Lande said. "He’s a ball-hawking safety that can come up and hit and tackle. He’s the real deal. I wouldn’t be shocked if Detroit — if there’s no elite pass-rusher there — Detroit at No. 5 may take him. He’s really good." A first-team All-Big 12 pick in both 2011 and 2012, Vaccaro amassed 107 tackles as a senior and recorded five career interceptions. Jan 25 - 8:31 PM

Ireland said he wants to add playmakers on offense AND defense....this kid is a playmaker! If Milliner is gone and we can't trade down, I'd have no problem with us taking Vaccaro!

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:45 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I would look at taking Bacarri Rambo of Georgia in the 3rd round. The only reason this kid is going to drop is because he failed 2 drug test while at Georgia, and that is a concern.

He is similar in size to Vaccaro with better numbers in the premier conference in the nation in the SEC. Georgia has been good to Miami with Reshard Jones. I would make another trip to look at this kid.

Vaccaro 49 games played 245 tackles, 20 pass break ups, 5 interceptions
Rambo 47 games played 235 tackles, 18 pass break ups, 16 interceptions.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:41 pm

MdDolfan wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Quote:

Ireland said he wants to add playmakers on offense AND defense....this kid is a playmaker! If Milliner is gone and we can't trade down, I'd have no problem with us taking Vaccaro!

Vaccaro's a way better safety than Milliner is a cornerback.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:12 am

swerve13 wrote:
[Vaccaro's a way better safety than Milliner is a cornerback.

That's debatable.

There's a reason Milliner is going top 10, and Vaccaro likely outside the top 15.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:30 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Quote:

Who says so?

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:35 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
[Vaccaro's a way better safety than Milliner is a cornerback.

That's debatable.

There's a reason Milliner is going top 10, and Vaccaro likely outside the top 15.

not anymore. Milliner is the top corner in this draft but he is not a special corner. Corners are in more demand than safeties so he should go higher.
Everyone agrees that Vaccaro is a special player. And is now being considered in the top 5 picks.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:27 am

MdDolfan wrote:
Quote:

Who says so?

here's just one opinion off SB nation but there are more of this mindset on Milliner.

Quote:
Dee Milliner will be a dangerous cornerback in the right scheme, but he's not a lock to be dominant in the NFL. He plays the boundary well and has the ability to read and react on the football. Given his size, Milliner also plays the game with a physical edge. Does he have the ability to dominate in man coverage? Maybe not. But after losing Aqib Talib, cornerback has become one of Tampa Bay's biggest needs.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:42 am

Quote:
In a conference call Tuesday, ESPN analyst Mel Kiper, draft expert, said the Lions should target the secondary in the 2013 draft, but there aren't any cornerbacks with elite grades.

Kiper ranked Alabama's Dee Milliner as his top cornerback; the junior is No. 11 on his Big Board and has yet to declare for the draft.

"Dee Milliner is a very, very solid, reliable player," Kiper said. "(He's) very well-coached, he's got good ball skills, he locates the ball, he turns well, he's got obviously very, very fluid hips.

"But he's not a shutdown corner. He's not Patrick Peterson coming out with elite skills. He's not in the top five for those reasons."

Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:47 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
I would look at taking Bacarri Rambo of Georgia in the 3rd round. The only reason this kid is going to drop is because he failed 2 drug test while at Georgia, and that is a concern.

He is similar in size to Vaccaro with better numbers in the premier conference in the nation in the SEC. Georgia has been good to Miami with Reshard Jones. I would make another trip to look at this kid.

I thought Bacarri Rambo was a SS?

If Rambo can play FS then I'm all for giving him a look see. The failed drug tests scare me a bit, but the kid is a very good athlete who could really project well at the next level.

I've said this before, I'm not sold on Clemons. I really hope we at the bare minimum bring in someone like Rambo to compete with him and push him for the starting job.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:56 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

wkloiber13 wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

I thought Bacarri Rambo was a SS?

If Rambo can play FS then I'm all for giving him a look see. The failed drug tests scare me a bit, but the kid is a very good athlete who could really project well at the next level.

Shawn Williams was the SS for Georgia. I like Chris athletic ability, but his ball skills have always been a concern for me. Rambo is a playmaker and he will come up and bring the wood as well.

I've said this before, I'm not sold on Clemons. I really hope we at the bare minimum bring in someone like Rambo to compete with him and push him for the starting job.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]