View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Jonathan Martin is no Jake Long 
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Jonathan Martin is no Jake Long
Quote:
Many Dolphins fans seem ready to let Long walk away in free agency in March. He’s suffered a litany of injuries over the last three years, his play seems to be declining and the $8-10 million the Dolphins would spend on Long could be used instead on offensive playmakers. Plus, the Dolphins already have a solid replacement in Martin who can step in seamlessly, as the theory goes.

But let’s pump the brakes on that point for now, because Martin, while still a promising young player, is no Long — not yet, at least.

The website Pro Football Focus ranked Long’s play as decidedly average in 2012 – ranking him 46th among 80 offensive tackles – but he was still significantly better than Martin, who ranked 76th. Long allowed four sacks and 10 quarterback pressures in 12 games, while Martin allowed six sacks and a whopping 47 pressures in 16 games. Martin, who admitted to teammates that he has to improve his upper-body strength this offseason, allowed more pressures in four games at left tackle (13) than Long did in 12.

PFF also graded the offensive line units for the season, and ranked the Dolphins 23rd out of 32. They named a “stud” and “dude” on every line, and the Dolphins’ dud was Martin.

“You spend a high pick on a rookie, then it’s likely at some point you’re going to want to see what you’ve got. Well, the Dolphins got a good long look at Jonathan Martin (-22.0) and they’ll know he’s got a long way to go before he becomes the player they drafted him to be.”

So, enough with the talk that the Dolphins can plug Martin in at left tackle and not skip a beat. Long may not be worth $10 million a year for five years, but he’s certainly the best option the Dolphins have for left tackle next season.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... s-offense/

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:38 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Jonathan Martin is no Jake Long
There's few linemen that could match Long's output his first 3 years, but the new system and continued injuries have taken their toll...........I'm not sure you can realistically expect him to survive past week 12 in any given season.

Martin was definitely thrown into the fire his rookie season starting at RT and then moving to LT. Of course it would have been great to see him have a rookie season like Long or Pouncy, but in fairness he wasn't a top first round pick. As a positive, he stayed healthy and never lost his starting job.........I expect him to be a much improved player in 2013.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:53 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

The main thing that Jonathan has to improve on is his power. I saw him get bull rushed and overpowered way to many times not to be concerned.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:32 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I don't think Martin is a bust by any means. He might end up being just fine as our LT. You would expect the guy to bulk up in the off season and he gained valuable experience last year.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:15 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Anyone is better than Long when he's on the bench hurt.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:54 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
I don't think Martin is a bust by any means. He might end up being just fine as our LT. You would expect the guy to bulk up in the off season and he gained valuable experience last year.

Hard to live up to expectations when people compare a 2nd round pick coming off a rookie season to a # 1 overall pick with 4 years of NFL exp...

Martin should get a shot to compete for that spot. I honestly do not see how we can retain Long. I just feel there will be a few other teams out there more than willing to throw money at him and take a chance.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:04 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Funny how Martin played better when he moved over to left tackle. That is his natural position. I've said this in other threads after Martin was drafted: If Long walks this offseason, his replacement is already on the roster. A right tackle is cheaper and easier to get than a left one.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:15 am

TommyNoleFin wrote:
Funny how Martin played better when he moved over to left tackle.

He did?

Quote:
Martin, who admitted to teammates that he has to improve his upper-body strength this offseason, allowed more pressures in four games at left tackle (13) than Long did in 12.

27% of the pressures he allowed were from the left side even though 25% of the games he started were from the left side.

I don't see the improvement....

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:24 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I hate to say it, but Jake Long below 100% was better than Jonathan Martin at 100%. The Dolphins are in a bit of a jam here. Do they pay for Long and hope that he gets back to what he used to be, or do they hope that Jonathan Martin takes a step forward from his rookie season. I actually do not know which way they should go.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:43 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

The big reason why I don't want to see Jake Long back is that I think he has Tony Boselli Disease (Jacksonville got lucky when Houston decided to take him in the expansion draft). Let him be someone's cap nightmare somewhere else.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:50 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
I hate to say it, but Jake Long below 100% was better than Jonathan Martin at 100%. The Dolphins are in a bit of a jam here. Do they pay for Long and hope that he gets back to what he used to be, or do they hope that Jonathan Martin takes a step forward from his rookie season. I actually do not know which way they should go.

Which do you think is more likely:
A) hoping for a guy with declining play and significant injuries across several body parts will stay healthy for the first time in years and improve his play to levels of past glory or;
B) hope a rookie improves?

If Long wanted a one or two year incentive based deal, it might be worth consideration. But a 4-6 year, $6m+ per year deal????

Seems a no brainer to me

Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]