View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 Kiper: options for the Dolphins 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Kiper: options for the Dolphins
http://www.thephinsider.com/2013-nfl-mo ... hins-needs

The Miami Dolphins have several needs heading into the 2013 NFL Draft, including major holes at wide receiver, defensive end, and cornerback. Looking over ESPN's Mel Kiper, Jr.'s most recent Big Board lets us see who might be available for the Dolphins at the 12th pick.

The 2013 NFL Draft is three months away, but every day that passes is one less day teams have to prepare, and is one fewer day fans have to speculate. Of course, with the Miami Dolphins not in the playoffs, their fans have plenty of time to speculate, especially with holes like the ones Miami has at wide receiver, defensive end, and cornerback. Meanwhile, ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper, Jr. has begun to ramp up his own draft preparation.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:18 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post Re: Kiper: options for the Dolphins
Not a huge fan of Kiper to be quite honest... but did find this post quite hilarious:
http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/1/10/3 ... -offseason

Good thing he's not the GM... this isn't Madden son, wake up

Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:08 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

IamPZ wrote:
Not a huge fan of Kiper to be quite honest... but did find this post quite hilarious:

Good thing he's not the GM... this isn't Madden son, wake up

That was not the greatest mock draft I've ever seen.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

And his article shows complete ignorance of how the salary cap works

Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:08 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

WOW. To say I hate that mock draft is an understatement.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:46 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

he didnt even get the right player. He wrote Marcus Trufant instead of Desmond Trufant.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:50 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Defensive end a major hole? Odrick and Vernon combined for 8.5 sacks, I've seen worse...

Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:38 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Agreed....i think we are fine at DE

Wr/CB/O-Line

Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:07 am
Profile YIM
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

The key word is "major", which means if you don't address the position in the off-season, you're screwed. After finishing 7th in the NFL with 42 sacks, I think we will be fine...

Not to mention Vernon is raw, and can only get better. I really like what I saw from him this year.

The only major hole is WR, with needs at CB, TE and maybe OT depending on the Jake Long situation. We could also use an upgrade over Chris Clemons at strong safety.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:22 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

If they re-sign Starks then its possible they simply keep the current line and see if Vernon develops more. They can address another DE in the 2nd or 3rd round to develop as well.

If there is an elite pass rusher at 12 and he is BPA then I can't see not grabbing him unless maybe Milliner is there.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:38 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I agree that you can't never have enough good pass rushers, but you can't draft "depth" in the 1st round, especially in the top half.

The thing is, I don't think there's a WR worth the 12th pick. I'm praying CB Dee Milliner falls to us. I was drooling over him in the BCS game. What a stud!

We also have to double down on WRs. My "perfect draft" would be:

1. CB DeMarcus Milliner
2. SS Matt Elam
2. WR Justin Hunter
3. WR Ryan Swope
3. A TE

Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:02 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I would like to see Miami trade picks to get two picks in the first round, moving up in the round if necessary. Getting a top CB and a top WR prospect in that round would be sweet.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

StereoMike wrote:
I agree that you can't never have enough good pass rushers, but you can't draft "depth" in the 1st round, especially in the top half.

The thing is, I don't think there's a WR worth the 12th pick. I'm praying CB Dee Milliner falls to us. I was drooling over him in the BCS game. What a stud!

We also have to double down on WRs. My "perfect draft" would be:

1. CB DeMarcus Milliner
2. SS Matt Elam
2. WR Justin Hunter
3. WR Ryan Swope
3. A TE

you don't draft depth in the 1st round, you draft the best player available, especially in the top half

Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:07 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

swerve13 wrote:
you don't draft depth in the 1st round, you draft the best player available, especially in the top half

By your reasoning, we should draft a QB if he's the BPA at #12...No thanks.

We have a major hole at WR, and we desperately need a shutdown CB. We need to start looking at positions other than defensive and offensive linemen...

Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

StereoMike wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

By your reasoning, we should draft a QB if he's the BPA at #12...No thanks.

We have a major hole at WR, and we desperately need a shutdown CB. We need to start looking at positions other than defensive and offensive linemen...

there is no quarterback ranked in the top 12 so you're wrong. But if there was an Andrew Luck sitting there at 12, then my answer is 'YES', you take him, regardless of Tannehill.

the major hole at wide receiver will get addressed first in free agency.
The Giants already had a strong defensive end rotation when they selected JPP, and low and behold the rode them all to a Championship. Cannot have enough pass rush, just look at the Niners when they took Aldon Smith and already had a strong pass rush.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:25 pm

A CB wouldn't be depth at this point it's a necessity.

Who knows if we resign Smith and Marshall and Patterson would be a disastrous 1, 2 CB combo.

If Milliner is there and we pass it'd be idiotic.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:48 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Really, not a bad look at some ideas for the Dolphins April's draft as I see a few good ones mentioned that could help out. I never really thought about T'eo for our number one pick as our first need, but the guy is a baller, so if he was to come in and start, perhaps not a bad thought.

Round 1: Manti T'eo, MLB, Notre Dame

Burnett left a lot of things to be desired this season and Dansby is getting older. Enter the all-american Lber. He has terrific instincts and great coverage skills. He should be ina foot race with Dansby every play to the ball carrier. Good ole Zach Thomas and Junior Seau style.

Round 2: Marcus Trufant, CB, Washington

We have no #1 CB, whether we re-sign Smith or not. To correct this, we need to take a CB early. Trufant fits that bill and will be a valuable piece to our secondary for years to come.

Round 2: Justin Pugh, LT, Syracuse

This prospect should be an instant plug in at LT. He should be able to start there immediately and keep Tannehill upright.

Round 3: Tony Jefferson, FS, Oklahoma

This concludes our race to fix our secondary starters. This safety is a good cover man that should excel in Coyle's system where the safeties can sit back and read the QB's eyes. He needs to fix his tackling technique, imo, but that can be fixed.

Round 3: Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati

The fast TE is an athletic beast that needs more refinement. He improved his run and pass blocking abilities his senior season, so he should be ready to go.

Round 4: Duke Williams, SS, Nevada

The safety from Nevada has the range to play either safety position, but he would do best at SS. He would provide excellent depth along with Jimmy Wilson. He is fast and a great tackler, meaning heshould do great on ST. He played a lot of 2 deep safety in college, so he will pick up the Coyle system quickly. With Landry's injury history, this would be a smart pick.

Round 5: Omoregie Uzzi, OG, Georgia Tech

Our OGs were not good at run blocking this season and let up too much pressure. In order to fix this problem, we need to draft OGs.

Round 7: Braden Hansen, OG, Brigham Young

Round 7: Caled Sturgis, K, Florida

The kicker has a strong leg and would compete with Dan Carpenter in camp. If he can't outright win the position battle, I would like to keep him anyways. We could use DC$ for kicks under 40 yards and the rookie for kicks over 45 yards and kickoffs. Kicks between 41 and 45 yards would be determined by conditions. Windy or wet conditions should go to the strong legged rookie, but good conditions should go to the accurate veteran.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:35 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Someone else posted that mock and the guy also had Miami signing Laron Landry. We'd be fielding a team of safeties.

It really is impossible to do a mock draft until we see who is re-signed, picked up in FA and maybe even traded for.

The only guy I'm somewhat convinced Miami will add is Greg Jennings...just makes too much sense for both parties. The Miami Herald is reporting that Miami will do whatever it needs to re-sign Starks. That may change things for Miami's first pick.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:31 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Speculation, but its what I thought if Miami re-signs Starks. I just get the feeling they will keep the current line and look to develop Vernon some more. Unless of course they plan to move on from Odrick soon.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/

Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:35 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I do not want Te'o. Big fish in little pond syndrome.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finhead34 wrote:
http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/1/10/3862332/revamp-the-defence-a-mock-offseason

Really, not a bad look at some ideas for the Dolphins April's draft as I see a few good ones mentioned that could help out. I never really thought about T'eo for our number one pick as our first need, but the guy is a baller, so if he was to come in and start, perhaps not a bad thought.

Round 1: Manti T'eo, MLB, Notre Dame

Burnett left a lot of things to be desired this season and Dansby is getting older. Enter the all-american Lber. He has terrific instincts and great coverage skills. He should be ina foot race with Dansby every play to the ball carrier. Good ole Zach Thomas and Junior Seau style.

Round 2: Marcus Trufant, CB, Washington

We have no #1 CB, whether we re-sign Smith or not. To correct this, we need to take a CB early. Trufant fits that bill and will be a valuable piece to our secondary for years to come.

Round 2: Justin Pugh, LT, Syracuse

This prospect should be an instant plug in at LT. He should be able to start there immediately and keep Tannehill upright.

Round 3: Tony Jefferson, FS, Oklahoma

This concludes our race to fix our secondary starters. This safety is a good cover man that should excel in Coyle's system where the safeties can sit back and read the QB's eyes. He needs to fix his tackling technique, imo, but that can be fixed.

Round 3: Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati

The fast TE is an athletic beast that needs more refinement. He improved his run and pass blocking abilities his senior season, so he should be ready to go.

Round 4: Duke Williams, SS, Nevada

The safety from Nevada has the range to play either safety position, but he would do best at SS. He would provide excellent depth along with Jimmy Wilson. He is fast and a great tackler, meaning heshould do great on ST. He played a lot of 2 deep safety in college, so he will pick up the Coyle system quickly. With Landry's injury history, this would be a smart pick.

Round 5: Omoregie Uzzi, OG, Georgia Tech

Our OGs were not good at run blocking this season and let up too much pressure. In order to fix this problem, we need to draft OGs.

Round 7: Braden Hansen, OG, Brigham Young

Round 7: Caled Sturgis, K, Florida

The kicker has a strong leg and would compete with Dan Carpenter in camp. If he can't outright win the position battle, I would like to keep him anyways. We could use DC$ for kicks under 40 yards and the rookie for kicks over 45 yards and kickoffs. Kicks between 41 and 45 yards would be determined by conditions. Windy or wet conditions should go to the strong legged rookie, but good conditions should go to the accurate veteran.

With all the needs on offense, this has 3 of the top 4 picks being used on defense.

Really???

Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:37 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

crap! Taylor Lewan and Jake Matthews are staying in school. That only hurts us. 2 of the top 12 prospects

Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:17 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I do not want Te'o. Big fish in little pond syndrome.

I think a guy named Zach Thomas fit that mold too. I am not saying Miami should get him with their first pick, but I do think he will be a good NFL player. He has the intangibles, heart, commitment, a nose for the football and a love for the game along with his talent.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:05 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

To accent the author's ignorance, he proposes signing Laron Landry as a starting strong safety even though our starting strong safety just had a very nice year.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:17 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
South Carolina Gamecocks wide receiver/punt returner Ace Sanders has elected to forego his senior season to enter the 2013 NFL draft.

Sanders was a second-team All-America and was named the SEC's co-special teams player of the year. He also led the Gamecocks with 45 receptions for 531 yards and nine touchdowns

Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:56 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I don't think that you let necessarily let Long, Bush, and Clemons go. I think a far more likely casualty is Smith who is not a big time player but wants big time money. I would much rather keep Bush and Long for instance than re-sign Smith. It all comes down to dollars and sense, how much bang are you going to get for your bucks by committing to these guys.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:22 am

Rich wrote:
To accent the author's ignorance, he proposes signing Laron Landry as a starting strong safety even though our starting strong safety just had a very nice year.

Not only that he recommends outright cutting Jones lol.

Look at the comments people are ripping him. Terrible mock.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]