View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Stephen Ross said "free agency certainly isn't the answer." 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Stephen Ross said "free agency certainly isn't the answer."
this is interesting....

Quote:
Speaking with reporters Monday, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross said "free agency certainly isn't the answer."
"We've all seen that," Ross said. Ross did allow that he's "willing to spend whatever it takes to build it," but it certainly doesn't sound like Miami is aiming to make a big splash in free agency. The Dolphins have been frequently connected to impending free agent receivers, particularly Dwayne Bowe. Ross is right in his belief that rebuilding teams are best off building through the draft, but Miami's receiver corps is more than a pick or two away from being viable. If Ross opens his wallet up for any position this offseason, it should be wideout.

-Rotoworld

Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:59 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Stephen Ross said "free agency certainly isn't the answer."
We're more than a "pick or two" away from a respectable receiving core? If we had a competent individual who was capable of hitting on two wide receivers in the draft, that would be enough off the bat to label as a respectable core...with the addition of one of the 3 big free agents as well. I am not saying Ireland is extremely incompetent, but he has THIS off season to show his worth and if he doesn't succeed, he is gone. No more valid excuses from blind homers.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:19 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Free Agency isn't "the" answer. Just look at Buffalo's defense and see the proof.
But that doesn't mean you cannot improve your team greatly by adding a key piece via free agency.
I somehow don't think Bew Orleans would be where they are without that free agent QB of theirs.
And I think there are options to improve the Miami Dolphins, greatly improve, with some free agents who will be available. Notably at the WR position.

But you have to get most of your players through the draft

Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:57 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

He's not saying Miami won't add some pieces in FA, he's just saying they aren't rebuilding their roster with that approach. I think its reasonable to assume one or two big signings.

Its going to be like Parcells and Sparano with Dallas guys, Philbin will try to poach players he trusts/knows from Green Bay to fill holes in Miami.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:05 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

No, it's not the answer. But if used WISELY, along with the draft it can be part of the solution.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:39 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

jammer wrote:
He's not saying Miami won't add some pieces in FA, he's just saying they aren't rebuilding their roster with that approach. I think its reasonable to assume one or two big signings.

I think you're right but its hilarious that we have to reason out what our owner says. In fact, why does he talk as much as he does? Haha

Truth is we have some money. He would be a fool if he doesn't encourage our FO to get a fairly big FA

Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:32 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm glad to hear this. It's about time this team seriously tried to build it's roster through the draft. I'm tired of us over spending and getting mixed results.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:52 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Steve Zissou wrote:
Truth is we have some money. He would be a fool if he doesn't encourage our FO to get a fairly big FA

There is a minimum spending level under the CBA. If they don't spend enough, I believe they have to give the extra money to the players under contract. I imagine if we just signed our rookies and our existing free agents, we wouldn't reach that minimum level. We are going to have to be a player in FA. And that's good.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:33 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

degs wrote:
I imagine if we just signed our rookies and our existing free agents, we wouldn't reach that minimum level. We are going to have to be a player in FA. And that's good.

They could re-sign almost every free agent, all of their rookies and probably still have room to make a decent free agent signing. 48 million is a ton of cap room.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]