View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 Free Agent List 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Free Agent List
I know we always talk about the big time guys but here is a list of all free agents. Keep in mind many my re-sign with their current team but it will at least give some ideas of roster fillers that could be upgrades over current Fins.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/4 ... er-list-13

Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:10 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Free Agent List
The free agent moves will be limited and we keep focusing in WR/TE, but how about Michael Johnson from Cincy?

Coyle has some familiarity with him, it allows Odrick to move inside and have Miami spend FA money on depth over Starks, and opens up Miami's possiblities with the 12th pick.

I'm not advocating the move, just looking at something other than another 30 posts on Wallace versus Jennings.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:37 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

jammer wrote:
The free agent moves will be limited and we keep focusing in WR/TE, but how about Michael Johnson from Cincy?

Coyle has some familiarity with him, it allows Odrick to move inside and have Miami spend FA money on depth over Starks, and opens up Miami's possiblities with the 12th pick.

I'm not advocating the move, just looking at something other than another 30 posts on Wallace versus Jennings.

That would certainly be an interesting move. Coyle is certainly familiar with Johnson, and he has certainly developed into a nice rush DE. And he is only in his mid 20's also.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:07 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

This draft is so strong on the defensive side of the football, I'm not an advocate of spending money in Free Agency there.

I'll be continuing to beat this horse for the next few months, but I want a pass rusher at 12.

TE, O-line, depth are the 3 musts in Free Agency, to me. WR if the right opportunity/deal is there.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:33 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
This draft is so strong on the defensive side of the football, I'm not an advocate of spending money in Free Agency there.

I'll be continuing to beat this horse for the next few months, but I want a pass rusher at 12.

TE, O-line, depth are the 3 musts in Free Agency, to me. WR if the right opportunity/deal is there.

The draft is never a sure thing. I'm not opposed to upgrading any position in FA if the fit is there.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:57 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Phins Rock wrote:

At first I didn't agree with you but now I do. We should get a DE at 12 and another in later rounds similar to the Giants depth of pass rushers!

Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:05 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Hey look 7 former Miami qb's are on the list :grin:

Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:52 pm

jammer wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

The draft is never a sure thing. I'm not opposed to upgrading any position in FA if the fit is there.

Exactly. Which is why you have to play to its strengths.

By the way, Free Agency has treated this team worse than the draft;).

We all agree that Free Agency should supplement the draft. To me, that involves getting what you can't get in the draft, and leaving the strengths of the draft for the draft.

The only other option of "value" at 12, realistically, is OT. Is this team really drafting one at that spot? You know you can get a darn good DE at 12, but TE, OT later, even WR to a certain extent is not a sure thing, or at least not nearly as sure of a thing. Those have to be the priorities in FA. I just don't see money spent on a position or unit where the talent will far and away exceed others at 12.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:17 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:

Just ask Shula...Or the Eagles or the Bills........

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:24 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
Exactly. Which is why you have to play to its strengths.

We all agree that Free Agency should supplement the draft. To me, that involves getting what you can't get in the draft, and leaving the strengths of the draft for the draft.

The only other option of "value" at 12, realistically, is OT. Is this team really drafting one at that spot? You know you can get a darn good DE at 12, but TE, OT later, even WR to a certain extent is not a sure thing, or at least not nearly as sure of a thing. Those have to be the priorities in FA. I just don't see money spent on a position or unit where the talent will far and away exceed others at 12.

If Ireland got Jennings and Johnson in FA and drafted Milliner at 12 I think we'd all be very happy.

There are so many directions this team could go.

I do agree that DE in the draft presents the most opportunity and they shouldn't shy away if its BPA, but Johnson shouldn't be ruled out simply because Dion Jordan might be there at 12.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:31 pm

And if Milliner doesn't get to 12?

The difference is there are going to be, at worst, 3 legitimate top 10-15 caliber DE's available. What other CB is even close to top 15 worthy outside Milliner?

My point is DE is a given at 12. You know you can get one. Only other position you can say that about, that has decent value, is OT.

Plus, I just flat out like Jordan, Jones, Ansah, Moore, and Werner better than Johnson lol.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:35 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
The difference is there are going to be, at worst, 3 legitimate top 10-15 caliber DE's available. What other CB is even close to top 15 worthy outside Milliner?

My point is DE is a given at 12. You know you can get one. Only other position you can say that about, that has decent value, is OT.
Outside of a FA signing at DE. Miami needs to take the most impact player at 12 & that should be DE. There will still be very good Wr in the 2nd.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:41 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:

And if the BPA at 12 is OT you take him to help protect your biggest investment, Tannehill.

I've seen plenty of sure thing d-linemen bomb in the NFL over the last 5 or 6 years.

I agree with your point to play to the draft's strengths (DE, CB), and I'd be in complete favor of signing Wallace, Jennings and a TE in FA, but we just don't know how things will shake out. If Miami can't get offense in FA then I wouldn't be opposed to signing Johnson to secure a decent FA target.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:59 pm

jammer wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

And if the BPA at 12 is OT you take him to help protect your biggest investment, Tannehill.

Disagreed. Difference between a solid OT and a 2009 Jake Long is marginal. A high draft pick needs to be invested in the positions that require great talent.

You'd be hard pressed to find me considering an OT near the top
10 if I was an NFL GM.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:43 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
jammer wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Disagreed. Difference between a solid OT and a 2009 Jake Long is marginal. A high draft pick needs to be invested in the positions that require great talent.

You'd be hard pressed to find me considering an OT near the top
10 if I was an NFL GM.

Johnthan Banks from Miss St seems to be top 15 worthy at CB.

I understand your opposition to an OT, and I'm not even pushing for one, but if you address other needs in FA then why not? If Coyle tells Ireland that Johnson would be a stud and he knows how to use him then, again, why not?

You have to keep an open mind because so many different scenarios could play out.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:26 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
And if Milliner doesn't get to 12?

Plus, I just flat out like Jordan, Jones, Ansah, Moore, and Werner better than Johnson lol.

Jonathan Banks is rising up to the middle of round one but I don't want a corner in round 1. I want a pass rusher, gonna be alot of great ones come out of this draft, like the one with Von Miller, Watt and Aldon Smith.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:52 pm

jammer wrote:
Johnthan Banks from Miss St seems to be top 15 worthy at CB.

I understand your opposition to an OT, and I'm not even pushing for one, but if you address other needs in FA then why not? If Coyle tells Ireland that Johnson would be a stud and he knows how to use him then, again, why not?

You have to keep an open mind because so many different scenarios could play out.

My point is the difference between the OT you get at 12 and 42 is marginal. The difference between the DE you'll get at 12 and 42 is huge.

And I'm not talking specific to this draft. To me, drafting an OT that high is wasting a chance at a playmaker elsewhere.

The draft (specifically the top part) isn't about plugging in current holes. It's about acquiring players you can build around. OT might be a current need, but it doesn't justify passing on a WR, DE, or CB that's going to be a playmaker for years to come and that you can build around.

Regarding Banks, I need to do more work on him. But I have been able to catch one of his games so far, and he looks to me like a CB being over valued because of a weak top-end of the class. Doesn't look like a top 15 guy to me in most drafts. That's just my personal opinion though.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:28 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
My point is the difference between the OT you get at 12 and 42 is marginal. The difference between the DE you'll get at 12 and 42 is huge.

You sure you want to go this route?

Please provide all historical evidence you have at your disposal to prove this. I'm willing to bet the difference between a DE taken at 12 and 42 is just as marginal.

I'll throw this general statement out there. What is the difference if you sign a playmaker DE for five years and draft an OT with a rookie deal for 5 years versus signing an OT replacement for Long and drafting a playmaker DE? You're getting the same results for the same dollars. In fact, you're probably seeing more of an immediate impact with the signed playmaker DE.

To be fair, I think what you're advocating is what will actually happen. I just don't think Miami should turn down the chance to sign a guy if they have a gut feeling that he can be special just because they can get a potentially cheaper version in the draft.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:19 pm

jammer wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

You sure you want to go this route?

Please provide all historical evidence you have at your disposal to prove this. I'm willing to bet the difference between a DE taken at 12 and 42 is just as marginal.

I'll throw this general statement out there. What is the difference if you sign a playmaker DE for five years and draft an OT with a rookie deal for 5 years versus signing an OT replacement for Long and drafting a playmaker DE? You're getting the same results for the same dollars. In fact, you're probably seeing more of an immediate impact with the signed playmaker DE.

To be fair, I think what you're advocating is what will actually happen. I just don't think Miami should turn down the chance to sign a guy if they have a gut feeling that he can be special just because they can get a potentially cheaper version in the draft.

I was speaking more to the impact the DE would have vs the OT.

We'll agree to disagree.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:16 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Wondering if Travis Beckum could have a career jump start in Miami as a bargain price TE. Giants already have Bennett and A. Robinson so I could see Beckum looking for an opportunity elsewhere.

Obviously not the number one target but a potential plan B.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:15 pm

Ross just said in his press conference that Free Agency is not the answer. So we'll see just how aggressive they're willing to be.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:39 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
Ross just said in his press conference that Free Agency is not the answer. So we'll see just how aggressive they're willing to be.

I'd argue two big splashes and probably some fillers from Green Bay or guys that Philbin knows.

I think Ross has also learned from Ireland not to spout off or give information away.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:08 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Paul Kruger and Jennings....But i would want to resign Long or atleast trade him.

We can't just walk away with nothing for Long

Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:06 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Kev1321 wrote:
Paul Kruger and Jennings....But i would want to resign Long or atleast trade him.

We can't just walk away with nothing for Long

They can and probably will. Miami can't afford to re-sign Jake for the money he wants in hopes of trading him.

Dan, I want the Dolphins to re-sign Randy Starks.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:37 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

phinsfansc wrote:

I don't want him to go either, but he might be thinking of cashing in and Miami can just as easily slide Odrick over and sign a guy for depth. Just thinking of it from a money perspective. It could very well be a case of being willing to overpay because his value to the team is high.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:55 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

jammer wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

I don't want him to go either, but he might be thinking of cashing in and Miami can just as easily slide Odrick over and sign a guy for depth. Just thinking of it from a money perspective. It could very well be a case of being willing to overpay because his value to the team is high.

Randy Starks has been in beast most ever since joining this team... would love to see him retire here.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:39 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm hoping the majority of what we do this offseason is re-sign/re-structure the contracts of our current vets, and then build the roster the best we can through the draft. If we do make any free agent signings, I'm hoping they're not major ones. Big free agents moves rarely have worked out for us. We're better off going after the less noteworthy signings like we did when we got guys like Wake and Bess.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]