View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Cotton Bowl 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Cotton Bowl
Did anyone watch the Cotton Bowl last night?

Before watching that game I wanted to see us draft Jake Matthews (RT) and Ryan Swope (WR) from Texas A&M. I had seen them play once or twice over the last two years. But yesterday, I saw one of the most dominant performances I've ever seen from a college RT. I also saw another great young receiver who's destined to play on Sundays.

I don't know the Oklahoma player he was matched up against, but he literally didn't give that guy a single inch. Once he set his feet, the defender literally didn't drive him back an inch. On every passing play the defender didn't even get within two or three yards of Manziel. In fact, he kept driving the defender back on a consistent basis. Even more impressive was a play where he pulled from the right side all the way to the left end. Once he got outside he took out the linebacker opening up the hole for the runningback, and then after that he got about another ten yards downfield and blocked the safety. It was one of the most impressive blocking plays I've seen in a while. Needless to say, I now understand why this kid is rated as a 1st round prospect even though he plays RT.

The other key player in this game was Swope. Swope put up huge numbers last year with Tannehill behind center. He put up solid numbers again this year despite having a scrambling quarterback in Manziel. Similar to how Tannehill looks for Hartline when he's in trouble, Manziel always was looking this guys way when he got into trouble. He had 8 catches, 104 yards, and a touchdown in this game. He was almost always open. I think he's worth every bit the 3rd or 4th round pick it will take to get him. He reminds me a lot of Wes Welker the way he can line up anywhere and always get open.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:15 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Cotton Bowl
I'd love to get Swope in the 4th

Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:08 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I did watch the game last night. I thought I saw something that said Matthews was coming back for his senior year, but I could have it confused with something else I saw.

I agree though that Swope always seems to be open and is a very solid WR.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:32 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Those system, slot WR's in college always look good...Remember Jordan Shipley?

I want to see how he times at the combine. As of right now I don't see the elite quickness or explosiveness, but I'll admit having a hard time evaluating guys who play in his role.

As for Matthews he's definitely a stud i pass protection. But it would probably take the 12th pick to get him. No way in hell I'm drafting a RT, (or LT), at 12.

Like Tony said, word is he's going back to school for his Sr. year. That said, Matt Kalil also said he would come back at this time last year, then realized how high he'd go....and left. So nothing is official yet.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:44 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

How far has Landry Jones fallen? I remember last fall I was praying this kid would enter the draft for Miami. Rocket arm, good accuracy and prototypical size. He's going to be lucky if he gets picked in the 3rd round this year.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:50 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

jammer wrote:
How far has Landry Jones fallen? I remember last fall I was praying this kid would enter the draft for Miami. Rocket arm, good accuracy and prototypical size. He's going to be lucky if he gets picked in the 3rd round this year.

Tannehill is better

Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:53 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
Those system, slot WR's in college always look good...Remember Jordan Shipley?

I want to see how he times at the combine. As of right now I don't see the elite quickness or explosiveness, but I'll admit having a hard time evaluating guys who play in his role.

As for Matthews he's definitely a stud i pass protection. But it would probably take the 12th pick to get him. No way in hell I'm drafting a RT, (or LT), at 12.

Like Tony said, word is he's going back to school for his Sr. year. That said, Matt Kalil also said he would come back at this time last year, then realized how high he'd go....and left. So nothing is official yet.

ya, remember Wes Welker and Danny Amendola too.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:00 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:

he was always overrated

Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:01 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:

If I recall from last year. Jones got a ton of Yds off YAC.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Swopes is good, but too bad that Mike Evans of A & M was only a freshman.

Now that kid is a beast @ 6 '5 with 82 catches and 1100 yards in his first collegiate season. If he stays healthy, look for him to emerge as one of Division 1's best future NFL recruits at wide out.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]