View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Dolphins need to find players that fit Philbin's system 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Dolphins need to find players that fit Philbin's system
Quote:
Instead of rebuilding the roster the Dolphins added a rookie quarterback and moved some aged, beaten up furniture around, then added a new coat of paint to the roster. Never mind that the foundation had been compromised by three straight seasons of losing.

As a result we learned a west coast offense without tight ends who can threaten the seams of the field doesn't work.

A zone blocking scheme without offensive guards who can pull can not gel.

An up-tempo offense without players who can serve as interchangeable parts isn't effective.

A passing game that lacks receivers who possess the speed to stretch the field won't be explosive.

A secondary that features cornerback, linebackers and safeties who lack the ball skills and the flexibility to play both man and zone coverage won't produce turnovers.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss

Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:15 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Dolphins need to find players that fit Philbin's system
We need to find the right players?!?

Really?!?

Talk about stating the obvious.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:08 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Hey degs, I'm going to put up a blog called "Dolphins need to make the right moves instead of the wrong ones".

Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:49 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Well what players out there in free agency and the draft fit his system? Usually when you write an article like that you throw in a few nuggets for the fan base to start thinking about.

Also, who doesn't fit the system? Again, names of guys that you as a reporter get the inside track on in terms of their standing with the team.

We've seen a lot of topics lately about what you would do to fix the team. Best place to start is see who in this roster fits the system and may still have a job when camp rolls around.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:59 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Does Reggie Bush fit his system , he benched him once.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:10 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:
Does Reggie Bush fit his system , he benched him once.

I really hope they re-sign him. Reduce his carry load but line him up at WR a heck of a lot more. He's not small and seems like he could offer some serious YAC if the middle is opened up a bit.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:48 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
Hey degs, I'm going to put up a blog called "Dolphins need to make the right moves instead of the wrong ones".

Now that is funny.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:31 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

They actually brought in Philben's type of players in the last draft. I don't think they'll go away from that.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
They actually brought in Philben's type of players in the last draft. I don't think they'll go away from that.

It was a good start. But we still have a long ways to go. Like the article points out. We could probably stand to add at least two offensive linemen, a pair of wideouts, and tightend.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:20 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

wkloiber13 wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

It was a good start. But we still have a long ways to go. Like the article points out. We could probably stand to add at least two offensive linemen, a pair of wideouts, and tightend.

And that's just on offense.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:49 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

bobby0112 wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

And that's just on offense.

Yep, my opinion of this team is we're two year off from being a fully Philbin roster. Here is why. We need in my opinion at least two more offensive linemen, two more receivers, and a tightend on offense. Then we need at least two cornerbacks and a free safety on defense. Then we need at least a season to get them up to speed and let them learn the systems. Then after we acquire all eight or so players and they're developed, then I think we'll be a playoff caliber team.

This is why I'm a huge proponent of us trading back once or twice. We pick at #12. I don't see a receiver worth the 12th overall pick in this draft. But I do see a lot of good talent that will likely be there in the 2nd and 3rd round. So what I hope the Dolphins do is this. Trade back from 12 to somewhere around 20 or 22. That should net us a 2nd round pick. Then trade back from the early 20s to 28 or 30. That should net us a 3rd round pick. After that we would have a late 1st, three 2nds, and three 3rds. If we don't sign anybody big we'll likely get another 3rd round compensatory pick for Long.

That would leave us with exactly 8 picks in the first three rounds, exactly the number of players I said we'd need. While there is no way we'll hit on all 8, at the very least we'll get a huge jumpstart on rebuilding the roster through the draft.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]