View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ] 
 Craft beer 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Craft beer
So I went out with a few friends and they introduced me to craft beer. Micro brews around the country. I'm not a beer drinker, it's usually red wine, vodka, or if I want to get dumb it's rum. I must say, these different micro brew beers are great tasting that pair well with certain foods, just like win does. Now, I've had craft beer before, but I can really appreciate these beers especially when you are sticking it to Bush, bud, and coors! LOL. I like the sierra Nevada IPA Winter Blend and kona winter blend that has coffee infused in it. Anyone else like these beers? What else should I try?

Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:53 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Craft beer
for really expanding on craft beers there are a few things to do. First off, explore what microbrews are made in your area and give them a try. There might even be some brewhouses around that don't bottle and sell at stores locally, you might have to go there and buy growlers full or just drink at the bar they have there.

first thing though, identify what types of beers do you like? Stouts? Lagers? Ales? etc. and what flavors appeal to you. IPA's can leave a bitter taste at times and have a strong taste of hops. Some people love it, others not. Kona with it's coffee might lead you to trying some of the darker heavier beers that have that caramel, malty, and even coffee flavors to them.

Find liquor stores that offer the ability for you to build your own 6 pack of bottles and see what is available to make. Usually the smaller nonchain liquor stores carry smaller brands of beer to try out. Smaller breweries that are distributed nationally are Goose Island out of Illinois, Bells out of Michigan, New Belgium out of Colorado, etc. All offer delicious beer and can be more accessible to a national market.

In my opinion, the Midwest offers some of the best microbrews around (and I am sure there are some darn fine microbrews in other areas, just my opinion as people can argue beer for hours). Colorado and Minnesota have some amazing breweries. Beeradvocate is a nice website to research on too.

And then if you want to get crazy, brew your own! Not a hard process to get into and it is something you can do in your basement or garage (depending on where you live and seasonal temps)

Lastly, don't forget about imports! European countries have some delicious beers and are worth paying for. Even readily available Tecate and Dos Equis from Mexico are great. Pass on Corona and grab Modello.

wheew. As you can see, I love beer. =)

Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:25 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'm a big fan of hoppy IPA's. If you like those try Stone IPA (CA), Bear Republic Racer 5 (CA), Lagunitas (CO I think), Southern Tier 2XIPA. They are widely distributed.

There are a lot of small breweries popping up in Massachusetts and Maine (I live maybe 40 minutes from the Maine border) so I try to support their business. Doubt you'll see much of their stuff in your area.

Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:01 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Thanks for the tips. I like them all which is weird, from IPA to porters, I like them. It's like wine, it's so diverse that I don't have a favorite. I live in Bradenton Florida and there are 3 micro brews opening downtown which is cool. I went to a local store and mix matched and I ended up buying 4 six packs so I got a little carried away. My favorite is UFO which was delicious. I also had an "extra Rich" lager with honey which was pretty good, I forget who made it. I tried the coffe infused beer from Kona, again awesome. The one that I tried tonight was a sierra Nevada IPA,....man, I had one bottle and a killer buzz!

Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:12 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

My brother brews.

He brewed his first not-so pale ale, added passion fruit. It's really good... 6% alcohol by volume with a citrus flavor. I think he needs to scale back a bit on the passion fruit and it will be perfect.

He's moving onto ciders and lambics though.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:25 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Wow, that's awesome Rich. I'd try it! I just drank a Cigar City "Fl Cracker", this beer is highly rated and I believe it's over rated, it was OK. I also tried Shipyard Ale fortified with Oysters, weird but in a strange way, I like it! I love raw oysters and I always have a beer or 2 per dozen, usually an Amstel light so the beer hits the spot.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:41 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

What about for somebody who doesn't like beer at all?

I don't drink that much to begin with, but I don't have any problems with any mixed drinks. Just can't drink beer to save a life. Haven't found one that I even find remotely tolerable yet, although I haven't tried too hard thus far to find one.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:22 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
What about for somebody who doesn't like beer at all?

I don't drink that much to begin with, but I don't have any problems with any mixed drinks. Just can't drink beer to save a life. Haven't found one that I even find remotely tolerable yet, although I haven't tried too hard thus far to find one.

Try ciders. Pear cider is pretty good.

Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:42 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Angry Orchard apple cider is good too. I think if you visit a brewery you will appreciate the beer much more and aquire a taste for it. I found 2 that I love, UFO White and Cigar City Jai lai IPA.

Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:38 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

How's your borther's ciders doing Rich? I just had a left hand milk stout. OMG.....

Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:35 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Stone IPA tonight. Thanks Jammer....wow, good beer. I think I like the hoppier beers. Motorworks brewery just opened up in Bradenton. Their beers are delicious, unfiltered, hoppy, awesome. they also offer 50 bottles and around 30 taps. What a cool bar.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:09 pm

Angry Orchard is great stuff.

My brother hasn't brewed another batch yet.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:42 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:
Stone IPA tonight. Thanks Jammer....wow, good beer. I think I like the hoppier beers. Motorworks brewery just opened up in Bradenton. Their beers are delicious, unfiltered, hoppy, awesome. they also offer 50 bottles and around 30 taps. What a cool bar.

Glad you liked it.

This is a website my buddy uses, you can find all types of beers to try. I went to the IPA page for you.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/116/

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:23 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Thanks Jammer, I found that site and ratebeer among others....lol

Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:41 pm

I wish I could get into IPAs, but the flavor just doesn't do it for me.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:21 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
I wish I could get into IPAs, but the flavor just doesn't do it for me.

Definitely an acquired taste. The problem is once you acquire it you constantly judge other beers by IPA standards.

I still enjoy other types of beer, but I find myself constantly seeking the hoppiest beer that is not on the verge of tasting like rubbing alcohol. I know, I'm weird.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:02 am

jammer wrote:
I still enjoy other types of beer, but I find myself constantly seeking the hoppiest beer that is not on the verge of tasting like rubbing alcohol. I know, I'm weird.

I threw up just reading that sentence. That sounds brutal.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:25 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Definitely an acquired taste. The problem is once you acquire it you constantly judge other beers by IPA standards.

I still enjoy other types of beer, but I find myself constantly seeking the hoppiest beer that is not on the verge of tasting like rubbing alcohol. I know, I'm weird

Funny you said that. I was told to try IC light since it's a "lite craft beer" it has flavor. I can't even drink lite beer anymore, it's water with a weird beer flavor! lol. BUT...a corona lite with a shot of barcadi lemon, now we are talking.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:10 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

You're officially screwed up too Mak. Welcome to the club!

JP, man up!

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:33 pm

jammer wrote:
JP, man up!

He's going to be a Chardonnay sippin girlie man.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:42 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

He's going to be a Chardonnay sippin girlie man.

A nice Chardonnay with fresh caught lobster over looking the bay watching the sunset is a slice of heaven though. Just don't go to the bar JP and order a Chardonnay unless you are with Sam and his friends..... :haha

Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:47 am

Girlie? I prefer sensitive. Girls like that.

Supposedly.

I've heard.

On TV.

Jokingly.

Dammit I need to man up. I'll be 21 soon. When that happens I'll spend too much on booze and drink a beer or two every night until I get the hang of it.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:24 pm

Phins Rock wrote:

Girls SAY they like that.... but typically wind up with the alpha male jerk.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:49 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

So, are you all talking about "ale"? I guess I like the mild tasting beers that they make in Mexico. I really can't stand ale. Is that what these micro beer companies are producing?

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:21 pm
Profile WWW

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

I'm in college. The home of ^^.

Hence the funny…or not so much, evidently.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:22 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Yeah, Michelle had a friend named Dan and he was sensitive and liked Michelle. She always said he sooooo nice in a friend way and he's just a friend. I come in all loud, macho, took Dan's beer money and married Michelle. Don't be sensitive JP. Lol..

Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:39 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

So, are you all talking about "ale"? I guess I like the mild tasting beers that they make in Mexico. I really can't stand ale. Is that what these micro beer companies are producing?

I think you mean "indian pale ale", no you won't like it since you drink Mexican piss. Ale, however refers to top fermenting yeast that usually produces lighter bodied beers. Lager refers to bottom fermenting yeast. To answer your question, no, craft beer is not "ale" beer. Craft beer is beer brewed in small batches defined by the brewers association think anything other then IN-Bev corp beer (bud), coors, or miller. Now the macro beer company's have bought some craft breweries so you have to be careful.

There are thousands of beer styles Dave. A few are porters, stouts, lagers, apa, ipa, hybrids, ciders, and various types stemming from ales and lagers. I think it's an American success story how these micro brewies have taken appx 10% of sales away from the "big beer". I support local and craft beers. It's pretty amazing.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:56 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:
There are thousands of beer styles Dave. A few are porters, stouts, lagers, apa, ipa, hybrids, ciders, and various types stemming from ales and lagers. I think it's an American success story how these micro brewies have taken appx 10% of sales away from the "big beer". I support local and craft beers. It's pretty amazing.

There are very good light or mild tasting craft beers. And I agree, the big boys have to overspend to stock store shelves in an attempt to hide the smaller, craft beers. Its a nice achievement.

And while I completely support the little guy, I will argue they have gotten a bit greedy lately and really raised prices. That may be due to increased fuel costs and overall business costs, but it still stinks for the consumer.

Do I sense an annual Phinfever Beer Tasting/Dolphins Game trip brewing? Pun COMPLETELY intended!

Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:26 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

That would be awesome Jammer!

Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:33 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Had some sour cherry beer last night at a local brewery that was locally made, talk about a freshness and awesome taste, wow. Going back today to get a growler filled, it's awesome.

Sun May 11, 2014 11:08 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If you like IPA's, here are some of the absolute best:

Stone - Ruination Extra IPA
Stone - Arrogant Bastard Ale (or Double Bastard for the extra strong)
Bells - Hopslam IPA
Sierra Nevade - Torpedo Extra IPA
Southern Tier - 2X IPA
Dogfish Head - 60 or 90 Minute IPA

Side note - Stone Brewery and Sierra Nevada have several seasonal and limited supply offerings from time to time. If it's either, and an IPA, it is good.

Mon May 12, 2014 12:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]