View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Zimmerman 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Zimmerman
Any thoughts on the verdict?

Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:45 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: Zimmerman
Yes. Based on the law, it was the only verdict the jury could have reasonably handed down. I know a lot of people think he should have been guilty of manslaughter, but the prosecution brought little evidence, the testimony of their witnesses blew up in their face and at the end of the day, the self defense claim could not be disproved.

That being said, I think Zimmerman could have made a better decision as far as deciding to get out of his truck. And I think him being armed gave him that little bit of bravery to do that. Or perhaps he could have announced to Martin that he was part of the neighborhood watch. But I also think his heart was in the right place given the recent string of burglaries in that neighborhood. Burglaries by the way, that were supposedly carried out mostly by members of a gang called the Goons that wear black hoodies.

As for Trayvon Martin, I too think there was an opportunity for him to avoid this situation IF he had a chance to get away and get to his house... but IF he did indeed confront George Zimmerman, that was his mistake and if indeed he escalated it to a physical altercation (which given evidence of him liking to get into fights seems plausible) then it was an even bigger mistake.

Both sides could have done something to avoid this.

And frankly, the Sharptons and Jacksons of the world, who make money of their own people's suffering, turned this into a race issue, along with NBC and their malicious editing of the 911 call.

Now we have race relations at a boiling point, because once many in the black community heard that edited 911 call, there was no going back.

It is a tragedy all around, for the Martin family, for the Zimmerman family and for America.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:00 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Great post Rich. I 100% agree. The race card is played out. Where is the outrage regarding black on black murders in Chicago? The media and left wing zealots have the "sheeple" eating out of their hands.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:13 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:
Great post Rich. I 100% agree. The race card is played out. Where is the outrage regarding black on black murders in Chicago? The media and left wing zealots have the "sheeple" eating out of their hands.

This. The media, politicians and celebrities are profiting from this incident and the more it is fueled the better for them. When I say celebrity, I mean anyone in the public eye, and yes they draw attention to themselves which in turn exposes us to their work in film, television, music, sports, etc. Never let a good crisis go to waste as Rahm Emanuel used to say.

The lesson to be learned here is that there are consequences for our actions. Zimmerman, while possibly having his heart in the right place, positioned himself to be confronted by a tougher individual and subjected himself to physical harm. Because he used his weapon to get out of that incident he now has to live his life in hiding knowing he put himself in a bad position to take someone's life.

Martin seems to have decided to confront the unknown and his actions unforutnately cost him his life. I don't get the sense that Zimmerman would have "hunted" him and shot him in the back if he ran, so it appears he had that option. He wasn't backed into a corner and didn't have to attack Zimmerman.

As Rich mentioned, you can't discount the fact that a preceding chain of events created the possiblity for this situation. It just proves that everyone's actions have consequences...sometimes beyond what they imagine. I wonder if the the robbers are playing the "what if" game and saying geez, if only I hadn't created panic in that community then perhaps an armed, hero wannabe wouldn't have been patrolling the streets and Martin would still be alive today.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]