View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 What do you make of last night's election 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post What do you make of last night's election
I'm very curious to see reactions, both local and national.

On a national level it is about what I expected. Seems like Marco Rubio is beginning to get the Obama treatment of 2004 when he was dubbed a star in the making. I think of anyone I was hoping Barbara Boxer would lose her seat. I can't get past that ridiculous comment she made demanding to be called senator as opposed to ma'am. That just defined elitist dope. It was a given the House would change to republican and the democrats would hold a slight edge in the Senate. As much as the tea party energized conservatives to vote I think they overreached on their candidates in Nevada and Delaware. Angle and O'Donnell weren't savvy enough politicians to overcome the campaign game. They were painted as extreme and couldn't overcome it.

For my local results it was an enormous disappointment. Living in MA you pretty much get used to the fact that unless you vote democrat you shouldn't expect much. I thought this was the year the republicans gain a seat or two in the HOR. I also thought we would purge the Obama-clone Deval Patrick from the governor's office. Sad thing is that there are already predictions he will leave the post within a year to take up a position with Obama. Thanks for the 2 billion dollar deficit and tax increases. I also desperately wanted Barney Frank to lose. I work in the financial industry. None of my colleagues can understand how this guy, with all of the evidence tying him mortgage, TARP and stimulus scandals is re-elected and was allowed to chair banking and finance. I'll try to find video of his victory speech, its almost appalling how vindictive and obnoxious the man is.

I'm also beginning to wonder if the Scott Brown victory in January was more him or more anti-Obamacare. His seat is up in 2012 and I'd hate to have MA lose its last sense of balance.

For all of you guys in FL, I couldn't be happier that Alan Grayson was ousted. That guy is the definition of embarrassment, regardless of your political beliefs. Just a classless jerk. Sink and Rubio were very big pickups. Haven't really followed your House results.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:07 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: What do you make of last night's election
In Ct, we had a nightmare race for Senate. Both candidates were awful. The Democrat won. Linda McMahon lost despite spending $50m. The US Postal Service is crying at the loss of her revenue. I've never received as much mail as I did from her the past few months.

Our Gubnatorial race is going to be decided in the courts. Malloy (D) won the election, but the Republicans are contesting it. I don't think they will get anywhere.

Nationally, the one I am disappointed at is that Meg Whitman lost in California. I really believe that in order to restore bi-partisanship in this country the California Republicans have to wrestle control of the party back. They won't be able to do that if they can't even win their own state.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:55 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

degs wrote:
In Ct, we had a nightmare race for Senate. Both candidates were awful. The Democrat won. Linda McMahon lost despite spending $50m. The US Postal Service is crying at the loss of her revenue. I've never received as much mail as I did from her the past few months.

Our Gubnatorial race is going to be decided in the courts. Malloy (D) won the election, but the Republicans are contesting it. I don't think they will get anywhere.

Nationally, the one I am disappointed at is that Meg Whitman lost in California. I really believe that in order to restore bi-partisanship in this country the California Republicans have to wrestle control of the party back. They won't be able to do that if they can't even win their own state.

I didn't realize you were a CT guy. I work with a lot of folks from CT. I'd say Blumenthal is about as a low as you go with his "when I got back from Vietnam" remark. You just don't lie about combat service, especially with the sensitivity of the Vietnam War. I also love that he couldn't respond to the question about how you create a job in the private sector. A few of the folks at my office pretty much hated Linda McMahon by the end because of the non-stop phone calls and mailings.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:41 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

My issues with Blumenthal go far deeper than a moronic mis-statement.

I see him as nothing but a career politician and the sleaziest of lawyers. Both at the same time. It's a shame he won. In Washington, he'll fit right in and nothing will ever change.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:48 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

degs wrote:
My issues with Blumenthal go far deeper than a moronic mis-statement.

I see him as nothing but a career politician and the sleaziest of lawyers. Both at the same time. It's a shame he won. In Washington, he'll fit right in and nothing will ever change.

I agree with you on his character. I don't think that was a mistatement. I think it was a calculated move to curry favor with veterans. He was reading a speech, not going off the cuff.

And yes, he's never held a job outside public employment.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:09 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Yeah, jammer I'm shocked that Patrick won. I don't know what the feeling up in Boston was, but the feeling here in the Southeast was that he wouldn't win re-election.

That said you're right. Unless the Dems have another Martha Coakley, Mass will always put the Democrat in office.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:45 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Phins Rock wrote:
Mass will always put the Democrat in office.

Like they did William Weld and Mitt Romney.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:01 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Mass will always put the Democrat in office.

Like they did William Weld and Mitt Romney.

Different times but yes, MA has put a couple Republicans in the governor's mansion. The difference this time was Patrick's ability to turn over every rock for a vote. They mobilized most that probably didn't care to vote in a massive last minute effort.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]