View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Obama goes to the Republican retreat and takes questions. 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Obama goes to the Republican retreat and takes questions.
I enjoyed watching this and think it would be constructive to have an occasional Q&A session like the British.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/35147797#35147797

Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:55 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: Obama goes to the Republican retreat and takes questions.
Thanks for posting this. It was a very good watch and it's unfortunate that most Americans will never see things like this and may only get a brief overview through their preferred filter.

But good for Obama for accepting the invitation to show up to get grilled by a chamber full of ravenous Republicans. But he handled all of the tough questions very well with sincerity and tact, in my opinion.

This was one of my favorite quotes from the affair. Obama responds to Republican efforts to attack bills as if they were part of "some Bolshevik plot":

THE PRESIDENT: If the way these issues are being presented by the Republicans is that this is some wild-eyed plot to impose huge government in every aspect of our lives, what happens is you guys then don't have a lot of room to negotiate with me.

I mean, the fact of the matter is, is that many of you, if you voted with the administration on something, are politically vulnerable in your own base, in your own party. You've given yourselves very little room to work in a bipartisan fashion because what you've been telling your constituents is, this guy is doing all kinds of crazy stuff that's going to destroy America.

And I would just say that we have to think about tone. It's not just on your side, by the way -- it's on our side, as well. This is part of what's happened in our politics, where we demonize the other side so much that when it comes to actually getting things done, it becomes tough to do.

Amen to that.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:34 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

GERIDROPA wrote:
Thanks for posting this. It was a very good watch and it's unfortunate that most Americans will never see things like this and may only get a brief overview through their preferred filter.

But good for Obama for accepting the invitation to show up to get grilled by a chamber full of ravenous Republicans. But he handled all of the tough questions very well with sincerity and tact, in my opinion.

This was one of my favorite quotes from the affair. Obama responds to Republican efforts to attack bills as if they were part of "some Bolshevik plot":

THE PRESIDENT: If the way these issues are being presented by the Republicans is that this is some wild-eyed plot to impose huge government in every aspect of our lives, what happens is you guys then don't have a lot of room to negotiate with me.

I mean, the fact of the matter is, is that many of you, if you voted with the administration on something, are politically vulnerable in your own base, in your own party. You've given yourselves very little room to work in a bipartisan fashion because what you've been telling your constituents is, this guy is doing all kinds of crazy stuff that's going to destroy America.

And I would just say that we have to think about tone. It's not just on your side, by the way -- it's on our side, as well. This is part of what's happened in our politics, where we demonize the other side so much that when it comes to actually getting things done, it becomes tough to do.

Amen to that.

This is a bullcrap argument by Obama and his followers.

The fact of the matter is that Mr. Post-Partisan was compiling an enemies list his 1st week in Washington. Who was on this enemies list? Any visible conservatives or Republicans. They were targetting Rush Limbaugh, the Chamber of Commerce, Fox News etc instead of worrying about addressing the nation's problems.

Democrats were shutting out Republicans out of committee meetings and negotiations before they even got started. Locking committee doors, not allowed additional time for senators to speak (Al Franken), something that simply doesn't happen in the Senate.

And lastly, since when does the opposition party have to agree with things they are opposed to? What Obama is doing is saying "here, I have presented an idea and you are rejecting it. You don't want to negotiate or compromise".

What he should be saying if he were being honest is "I am presenting you with an idea so left leaning and ideological that I am forcing you to say no so I can paint you as a party that does not want to negotiate or compromise".

Republicans argued for tort reform, selling insurance accross state lines, etc. Obama said tort reform would be a part of Obamacare.

WHERE IS IT IN THE HEALTH REFORM BILLS?

Nowhere. You won't find it anywhere in the 2000+ pages.

Why? Because the Democrat Party is owned in large part by trial lawyers.

And Geri, were you calling out Democrats when they were unwilling to negotiate with Bush on anything? I bet not.

He is just as guilty of not negotiating or compromising as he accuses the Republicans of being. He is just as guilty of serving the special interests that line his campaign coffers as the next politician.

Except he has the upper hand. He had all this political capital that he squandered by trying to push policies on the American people that they DO NOT WANT. A clear majority of Americans reject Obamacare. Yet he keeps trying to get it passed. He has a supermajority and a huge majority in the House, and yet has not been able to accomplish anything of note. But he isn't going to give up.

What happened to representative government? Or is Obama only interested in representing the 20% of Americans that make up his liberal base or the 30-35% who support his health reform bill? Obama attacks Republicans for succumbing to their own base (something Obama does as well). Does he not see the polls saying 50+% of Americans DO NOT WANT HIS HEALTH REFORM?

If that 50+% is the Republican base, then how do Democrats get elected?

If Obama were truly as smart as people seem to think he is, he would scrap this health reform 2000 page bill and instead try to pass it in phases (actually if he were smart he would have never given the reins to Pelosi). Everyone agrees on pre-existing conditions. Lets pass a bill that reforms that. Everyone agrees on lowering costs. Let's pass a bill that addresses that. Everyone agrees that private insurers need to be reined in. Let's pass a bill that addresses that.

The whole point of health reform was to provide access to the supposed 30 million Americans. But it is also reforming healthcare for Americans who are happy with their current insurance just the way it is. If you don't want healthcare, too bad, you have to either buy it or pay a $3000 fine. If you don't pay the fine, get used to crappy bed and food in jail. Why not just focus on getting access to those 30 million? Why try to overhaul the entire thing in one fell swoop? Our government was not designed to work so rapidly.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:17 pm

[/quote]The President's GOP Outreach Comes Too Late
A photo-op is not the same as compromising on policy.Article Comments (346) more in

By KARL ROVE
Last Friday, President Obama met with House Republicans in Baltimore. He took questions, parried criticisms, and allowed all of it to be put on television.

Framed as an opportunity for the president to hear from the other side, Mr. Obama's real aim was to portray Republicans as obstructionist and boost his own public standing in the process.

Afterward, Gallup found that Mr. Obama's approval hit 51%, up from 47% after the State of the Union address two days earlier. But in winning that small victory, Mr. Obama also further poisoned his relationship with Republicans by repeatedly saying things that are demonstrably not true.

For example, when Texas Rep. Jeb Hensarling asked if the president's new budget would, "like your old budget, triple the national debt" and increase "the cost of government to almost 25% of the economy," Mr. Obama denied it. But that's exactly what Mr. Obama proposed doing in his budget framework that Congress passed last April, according to both Congressional Budget Office and White House documents.

In Baltimore, Mr. Obama criticized the GOP's response to last year's $787 billion stimulus package saying, "I don't understand . . . why we got opposition . . . before we had a chance to actually meet and exchange ideas."

In truth, the president met with congressional Republicans to talk about the stimulus package the day before the press said Speaker Nancy Pelosi and House Appropriations Committee Chairman David Obey completed drafting the 1,073-page bill. What occurred was a photo-op, not an exchange of ideas. Democrats at both ends of Pennsylvania Avenue were scornful of Republican input.

When Georgia Republican Rep. Tom Price complained in Baltimore that the president kept saying "that Republicans have offered no ideas and no solutions," Mr. Obama shot back, "I don't think I said that."

But of course Mr. Obama and his people have said that repeatedly. They did so starting in April, when White House aides swarmed Sunday talk programs to label the GOP the "party of no" and say that the party lacked both constructive ideas and vision.

Republicans did score a small victory in Baltimore. They got Mr. Obama to admit that the GOP has offered ideas on health-care reform, economic growth and spending restraint. But that doesn't mean the president will now draw on any of those ideas.

Mr. Obama's problems remain reality rather than optics. Over the past year, he hemmed himself in by leaving it to Democratic congressional leaders to draft his health-care reform and other items of his agenda and by not pressing those leaders to negotiate with Republicans.

Until Mr. Obama changes those practices, the country will see more party-line votes in Congress, albeit with increasing defections among vulnerable Democratic members.

The next battle brewing in Washington is over the president's proposed budget, released earlier this week. Under Mr. Obama's blueprint, federal spending would rise to $3.8 trillion in the next fiscal year, up from $3.6 trillion this year. The budget is filled with gimmicks.

For example, the president is calling for a domestic, nonsecurity, discretionary spending freeze. But that freeze doesn't apply to a $282 billion proposed second stimulus package. It also doesn't apply to the $519 billion that has yet to be spent from the first stimulus bill. The federal civilian work force is also not frozen. It is projected to rise to 1.43 million employees in 2010, up from 1.2 million in 2008.

As Mr. Obama's approval ratings have dropped, the White House has been consoled by the Republican Party's poor image. But that's changing. Since last October, Democrats dropped from a 30-point net favorability to a one-point advantage over the GOP today, according to a recent CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll.

The fall of support for Democrats is also reflected in the generic ballot. Since October, Democrats have gone from six points up (49%-43%) to three-points behind (45%-48%) according to Gallup. The GOP has a seven-point (45%-38%) lead in the latest Rasmussen generic ballot survey.

Every week, it seems, more bad news accrues for Mr. Obama's party—whether it is a bad poll, a lost election, or a new retirement of a House Democrat in a competitive district. Democrats are in the midst of the painful realization: Mr. Obama's words cannot save them from the power of bad ideas.[/quote]

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... el_opinion

Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:31 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I really love the open and bipartisan way that our President led in the whole health reform effort. No behind the door meetings, no special deals for special interests, no buying of votes with special promises, and everything was televised just like he said it would be.

The tone of his question and answer sounded like a lecture to wayward children to me.

While I applaud his willingness to meet and talk with those who oppose him
the fact is that he was/is trying to force governmet into more of our lives and has plans to do more with the cap and trade tax he wants to impose. Doing all kinds of crazy stuff that will destroy America, which elected republicans made that accusation? I am glad that republicans don't want to negotiate with him about the terrible policies he is proposing. If he has any good ones I am sure he will get bipartisan support like the decision to send more troops to Afghanistan.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:08 pm

AQNOR wrote:
I really love the open and bipartisan way that our President led in the whole health reform effort. No behind the door meetings, no special deals for special interests, no buying of votes with special promises, and everything was televised just like he said it would be.

The tone of his question and answer sounded like a lecture to wayward children to me.

While I applaud his willingness to meet and talk with those who oppose him
the fact is that he was/is trying to force governmet into more of our lives and has plans to do more with the cap and trade tax he wants to impose. Doing all kinds of crazy stuff that will destroy America, which elected republicans made that accusation? I am glad that republicans don't want to negotiate with him about the terrible policies he is proposing. If he has any good ones I am sure he will get bipartisan support like the decision to send more troops to Afghanistan.

Wait a minute... the Republicans supported the President on Afghanistan?

Sure because it was his request, they would do no such thing.... right??? Because they are just the party of no... right???

Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:55 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I think that even some of the bitter, gun-toting, bible thumping, racist, xenophobic, anti-trade crowd in Pennsylvania supported our President on the Afghanistan decision. lol

Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:41 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Gentlax13 wrote:
I enjoyed watching this and think it would be constructive to have an occasional Q&A session like the British.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/35147797#35147797

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xUy2inkGHQ

Um, no thank you.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]