Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next
 Post subject: Re: I have been..
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:47 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Rich wrote:
And as long as we continue accepting the two party lie, we will fall victim to this trap. Look where the two parties have us. All people do in this country is bicker along ideological lines.

I preach this all the time to family and friends when they want to engage me in political discussion. Most of them are Democrats who opt to turn the blinders on to what is actually happening behind all of the rhetoric. And part of me thinks they cling to a candidate just so they can claim they're winners when said candidate gets elected. Yet they continue to complain about safety, job security, health care costs, etc.

How many more giant government programs do we need before we realize they are political money grabs disguised as social justice? Outside of the GI Bill what has actually worked? All I get is fluff and sob stories, never any numerical evidence showing positive trends.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:59 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

jammer wrote:
How many more giant government programs do we need before we realize they are political money grabs disguised as social justice? Outside of the GI Bill what has actually worked? All I get is fluff and sob stories, never any numerical evidence showing positive trends.

And by the way, both major party candidates are proposing growing some of these giant government programs. Neither of them has a realistic solution to reduce the national debt.

This is my #1 issue. We can't continue living with maxed out credit cards.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:06 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Rich wrote:
And by the way, both major party candidates are proposing growing some of these giant government programs. Neither of them has a realistic solution to reduce the national debt.

Of course. I thought the whole Trump/wall thing was supposed to be funded by stripping Mexico of its annual economic aid. I think that is in the realm of a 250 million per year. But that is just talk, probably not reality.

Actually, if you look at how much money we give to other nations for economic and military aid your jaw would drop...well not you individually, but most people who've never bothered to investigate.

Another ironic comment came from Apple CEO Tim Cook, who is a major Hillary supporter. He said its not worth repatriating the company's money due to the tax rate. So again, how would we pay for these programs if large percentages of wealth are parked in tax friendly accounts overseas?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:55 am 

jammer wrote:
Rich wrote:

Of course. I thought the whole Trump/wall thing was supposed to be funded by stripping Mexico of its annual economic aid. I think that is in the realm of a 250 million per year. But that is just talk, probably not reality.

Actually, if you look at how much money we give to other nations for economic and military aid your jaw would drop...well not you individually, but most people who've never bothered to investigate.

Another ironic comment came from Apple CEO Tim Cook, who is a major Hillary supporter. He said its not worth repatriating the company's money due to the tax rate. So again, how would we pay for these programs if large percentages of wealth are parked in tax friendly accounts overseas?

The whole concept of building a wall and deporting 12 million people is a pipe dream. It is not a realistic solution at all.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:22 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Rich wrote:
The whole concept of building a wall and deporting 12 million people is a pipe dream. It is not a realistic solution at all.

Honestly, someone who will simply enforce the laws on the books would get more done than what is currently happening. You'd probably have a lot of self deportations from people overstaying visas in that scenario.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:02 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:
Rich wrote:

A wall will happen if hes elected. He knows how to get it done. The economic growth alone to the areas in south Texas will profit immensely. As far as deporting people........buses wont pull up to their homes and take them away in the middle of the night. But once the pipe line is cut off, no more free stuff, people who hire them get fined huge amounts they will leave on their own. But I could care less. Mexicans never did a thing to me. They work hard landscaping here in South Fla. Its the Supreme court judges I care about. You had better also. Its everything.

Last edited by MiamiMenace on Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:14 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Quote:
="Rich"]If you pay attention to the polls, Gary Johnson takes more support from Hillary than Trump. Head to head, Hillary wipes the floor with Trump and not just in the NBC lefty polls. In Fox News as well. Once you add Johnson, Trump has a fighting change. So you should want him running.

I will concede that. I hope your right. I dont think so , but I hope you are.

Quote:
Anyway, you're showing your true Trump fan boy colors now for all to see. It wasn't that difficult to make that happen. Just some facts and sound arguments and now that you have nothing of value left to say, you're turning towards histrionics and attacking people's personal beliefs.

SIGH. 3 words brother. Supreme Court Justices. Thats it. I could care less about the rest. Also Repealing Obama care will save me $400 a paycheck easily. Trump isnt playing the game and he is calling out some pretty powerful people . The entire system has been exposed thats to him. I really wasn't a fan boy of his, but I'll admit Im rapidly growing into one. If he wins , against the odds he is up against thats got to even earn your respect. :awe:

Quote:
You want people to vote on the issues in one breath, but then tell them the person that most closely aligns to their beliefs can't win in the next. You're becoming completely unhinged and insulting people's personal beliefs. That's not an effective way to get people to see your point of view or change their vote.

You work for the media? You seem to have a knack to look way into something said only to twist and spin towards your agenda (whatever that is).

Quote:
This will be my last response to you as clearly you've become too fanatical and blind to have a civilized discussion with.

Cant even have a discussion will a fellow Dolphins fan? I should be the pissed off one , have you seen the last Trump polls!? Lol.........Alright then. Take your pail and shovel and leave the sand box. You sound like the rest of the butt hurt supporters who still are crying because the American people spoke in the primaries. :boo:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:01 am 

jammer wrote:
Rich wrote:

Honestly, someone who will simply enforce the laws on the books would get more done than what is currently happening. You'd probably have a lot of self deportations from people overstaying visas in that scenario.

Agreed. But, the guest worker visa program has to be revamped. It is an absolute disaster and it is the primary reason companies (farms) are hiring illegals instead of following the law. In order to get approval into the program, you have to provide exactly how many workers you need for exactly how long and exactly how much you will produce. When you're growing crops, you can't predict what the weather will do and how many crops you'll grow.

It's an insanely difficult process that needs to be revamped.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:45 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Rich wrote:
It's an insanely difficult process that needs to be revamped.

Sounds as ridiculous as every other government run program.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:21 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

As the lone Clinton supporter (apparently) in this entire thread, I will say: I hope Gary Johnson is in the debates as well. I lean strongly to the left, but would like to see a serious candidate that has a social left-lean with a fiscal right-lean.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:26 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:
Rich wrote:

Not only building a wall, but getting Mexico to pay for it. Not sure how that's gonna happen.

Also, you immediately kick out 12 million people, you're eliminating six percent of the current work force and opening jobs in an industry that is, not only vital, but where most folks have no interest doing the work.

We need immigration reform, no question. But this is the wrong track to take. Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:28 pm 

Also, there are plenty of tunnels being used to get into the U.S.

How deep is the wall going to go into the ground?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:32 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Rich wrote:

This too. If a wall is built, they'll just find a way to climb it (or go under it).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:39 pm 

MNDolfan wrote:
Rich wrote:

This too. If a wall is built, they'll just find a way to climb it (or go under it).

Trump is ready for all this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:41 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Rich wrote:
MNDolfan wrote:
Rich wrote:

Trump is ready for all this.

:)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:44 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

This is the first election since I have been able to vote that I may not vote. I will probably end up writing in a candidate.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:46 pm 

AQNOR wrote:
This is the first election since I have been able to vote that I may not vote. I will probably end up writing in a candidate.

The biggest internal crisis facing our nation is the mountain of debt we are under.

Only one candidate has a realistic plan to address this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:53 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

AQNOR wrote:

You may not like the candidates at the top of the ballot, but not voting isn't the answer. Hell, leave the top of the ballot blank.

No matter what sides of the issues you're on, be sure to go vote for no other reason than the local races within your hometown and state. This is where a vast majority of the governing you see on a daily basis gets done.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:56 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

There is one issue with Mr. Johnson that will cause me to not vote for him. I can not support someone who is imo for killing the most vulnerable among us. I also would like to hear some more specifics on how much his cutting of the military would effect the nations preparedness for war. I would like a very strong military in the hopes that we would never have to use it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:59 pm 

Here are his positions on abortion:

http://www.ontheissues.org/2012/Gary_Jo ... ortion.htm

But let's face it, whether we keep abortion legal or ban it is not going to decide the fate of our nation.

Whether we keep maxing our credit cards or become fiscally responsible definitely might.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:01 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

MNDolfan wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

You may not like the candidates at the top of the ballot, but not voting isn't the answer. Hell, leave the top of the ballot blank.

No matter what sides of the issues you're on, be sure to go vote for no other reason than the local races within your hometown and state. This is where a vast majority of the governing you see on a daily basis gets done.

I think I wrote that I will probably end up writing in a candidate. It was a statement in part to show my disappointment for the choices for the presidential candidates. I was specifically referring to that race and vote not to other votes. Sorry I was not more specific. Thanks for the encouragement to vote. I am a poll worker and take seriously the right to vote. Thanks to all the vets for helping secure that privilege.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:03 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

AQNOR wrote:
There is one issue with Mr. Johnson that will cause me to not vote for him. I can not support someone who is imo for killing the most vulnerable among us. I also would like to hear some more specifics on how much his cutting of the military would effect the nations preparedness for war. I would like a very strong military in the hopes that we would never have to use it.

You're never going to be able to balance the budget without significant cuts to military spending. It's the most expensive thing we pay for.

We need to invest in a 21st Century military of the future: A force built on sheer size isn't what we need anymore. Any war that would need massive numbers of troops is likely the war that ends the planet.

Instead, let's get leaner but smarter. We have two massive oceans protecting our borders and technology that would make it impossible for a Pearl Harbor-style attack on our home soil. We should be spending money to defend our homeland from terrorist threats and that has nothing to do with the size of the military.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:07 pm 

MNDolfan wrote:
You're never going to be able to balance the budget without significant cuts to military spending. It's the most expensive thing we pay for.

This is not true. But I am happy to hear a liberal say we should be targeting the most expensive things, because Medicare and Social Security are far more expensive than the military.

I agree with the idea, however, of streamlining the military. How many trillions are being spent on concept fighters with nothing to show for it?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:10 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rich wrote:
Here are his positions on abortion:

http://www.ontheissues.org/2012/Gary_Jo ... ortion.htm

But let's face it, whether we keep abortion legal or ban it is not going to decide the fate of our nation.

Whether we keep maxing our credit cards or become fiscally responsible definitely might.

We disagree on which issue is more important. I in no way want to be misunderstood about agreeing with you that the nation is at risk fiscally because of its policies and practices.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:17 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Rich wrote:
MNDolfan wrote:

This is not true. But I am happy to hear a liberal say we should be targeting the most expensive things, because Medicare and Social Security are far more expensive than the military.

I agree with the idea, however, of streamlining the military. How many trillions are being spent on concept fighters with nothing to show for it?

Should have written more clearly: How we spend militarily is more expensive than the other social programs we spend at home.

Example: We spend more on the military than the next nine countries in the world combined. Most of the countries are allies.

I am all for reforming our social programs as well. The retirement age should be raised. We need to perfect health care. We need to make cuts and streamline processes from all kinds of programs. None should be untouchable. Medicare and Social Security are complex problems, however. We have an aging population and no concrete plan to care for them.

Another thing to consider: Our infrastructure in this country is crumbling. Bridges and roads are in serious disrepair. Nuclear facilities are vulnerable. We need to invest billions of dollars there as well.

We are also in the midst of the warmest year on record. Global warming is real, I don't care what folks on the right say. Science says so. Recent history says so. This is a problem that we need to meet head on.

But it needs to start with military. There is no reason to be spending $700 billion on it when we could probably be just fine spending half as much.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:18 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

MNDolfan wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

We need to invest in a 21st Century military of the future: A force built on sheer size isn't what we need anymore. Any war that would need massive numbers of troops is likely the war that ends the planet.

Instead, let's get leaner but smarter. We have two massive oceans protecting our borders and technology that would make it impossible for a Pearl Harbor-style attack on our home soil. We should be spending money to defend our homeland from terrorist threats and that has nothing to do with the size of the military.

Did I say anything in particular about the size of the military? Imo the ability to project force is a deterrent too. Our Navy and Marines consider oceans to be a highway and I think WWII proved this concept in the pacific campaigns.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:22 pm 

MNDolfan wrote:
We are also in the midst of the warmest year on record. Global warming is real, I don't care what folks on the right say. Science says so. Recent history says so. This is a problem that we need to meet head on.

Several new studies have come out indicating a significant decrease in solar activity leading to global temperatures significantly dropping. These are by scientists that work in academia, not for the fossil fuels industry.

Global warming may be real, but there is virtually nothing man kind can do to change the planet's weather.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:26 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Rich wrote:
MNDolfan wrote:

Several new studies have come out indicating a significant decrease in solar activity leading to global temperatures significantly dropping. These are by scientists that work in academia, not for the fossil fuels industry.

Global warming may be real, but there is virtually nothing man kind can do to change the planet's weather.

I'd be interested to see that study. Because July was the by far the hottest month on record. http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20160816/article/160819718

And maybe you're right: Perhaps there is nothing we can do. But that doesn't mean it isn't good for the country and good for our economy to try and invest in renewable energy sources and reducing carbon emissions.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:28 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
A team of European researchers have unveiled a scientific model showing that the Earth is likely to experience a “mini ice age” from 2030 to 2040 as a result of decreased solar activity.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/6 ... hibernates

Quote:
New study by respected German scientists discredits alarmist global warming claims. Carbon dioxide levels are not linked to temperatures and climate cooling, not warming more likely for the rest of this century.

http://principia-scientific.org/study-g ... g-unusual/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:34 pm 

MNDolfan wrote:
I'd be interested to see that study. Because July was the by far the hottest month on record. http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20160816/article/160819718

The study was forecasting future weather based on current declines in solar activity, not studying current weather.

Quote:
And maybe you're right: Perhaps there is nothing we can do. But that doesn't mean it isn't good for the country and good for our economy to try and invest in renewable energy sources and reducing carbon emissions.

Renewable resources are inefficient and far less productive than fossil fuels. Not to mention more expensive to make and therefore to sell to consumers.

I'm trying to get solar panels for my house so that I can produce my own electric. It is not cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:36 pm 

For as much as we use fossil fuels and emissions continue to increase, we contribute a fraction of the CO2 levels in the atmosphere. CO2 levels would increase or decrease on their own due to variability over time. If we eliminated all fossil fuels tomorrow, it would literally have no impact on how much CO2 is in the atmosphere.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:39 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Rich wrote:
MNDolfan wrote:

The study was forecasting future weather based on current declines in solar activity, not studying current weather.

Quote:

Renewable resources are inefficient and far less productive than fossil fuels. Not to mention more expensive to make and therefore to sell to consumers.

I'm trying to get solar panels for my house so that I can produce my own electric. It is not cheap.

I agree that it is too inefficient and expensive. We need to find a way to make it more efficient. That involves investment and research. Investment is a problem for a country with a budget that's already too fat. That was my original point several posts ago when I introduced the idea.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:41 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Rich wrote:
For as much as we use fossil fuels and emissions continue to increase, we contribute a fraction of the CO2 levels in the atmosphere. CO2 levels would increase or decrease on their own due to variability over time. If we eliminated all fossil fuels tomorrow, it would literally have no impact on how much CO2 is in the atmosphere.

CO2 is only a part of the problem. There are national security implications. We send too much money to places that don't like us for oil. That number is decreasing over the last eight years, but it'd be nice not to send any money there. That should be our goal.

MNDolfan wrote:
I agree that it is too inefficient and expensive. We need to find a way to make it more efficient. That involves investment and research. Investment is a problem for a country with a budget that's already too fat. That was my original point several posts ago when I introduced the idea.

Then the private sector should invest, except that Obama has created an environment so hostile towards business that the small guy has to jump thru hoops to invest leaving the big guys that can afford all those lawyers to figure out what the regulations require to either own innovation or suppress it.

VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
Approximately 300 people including scientists, engineers and other experts, about half with doctorate degrees, have petitioned U.S. House Science Committee Chairman Lamar Smith, R-Texas, to carefully investigate suspiciously overheated climate temperature book-cooking by the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

NOAA’s adjustments to previous ocean temperatures between 1998 and 2012 made recent global temperature changes appear more than twice warmer than the original records showed.

This was accomplished by throwing out global-coverage satellite-sensed sea surface measurements taken since the late 1970s — the best data available — and upwardly adjusting spotty and unreliable hit-and-miss temperature readings taken from ocean-going vessels which present well-recognized problems. ...

Breaking News at Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/LarryBell/CATO-D ... z4HcJys3W1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:42 pm 

MNDolfan wrote:
Rich wrote:

CO2 is only a part of the problem. There are national security implications. We send too much money to places that don't like us for oil. That number is decreasing over the last eight years, but it'd be nice not to send any money there. That should be our goal.

Agreed. We have all the resources right here in North America. So let's move forward with the Keystone Pipeline and further exploration offshore.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:42 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

AQNOR wrote:
Quote:
A team of European researchers have unveiled a scientific model showing that the Earth is likely to experience a “mini ice age” from 2030 to 2040 as a result of decreased solar activity.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/6 ... hibernates

Quote:
New study by respected German scientists discredits alarmist global warming claims. Carbon dioxide levels are not linked to temperatures and climate cooling, not warming more likely for the rest of this century.

http://principia-scientific.org/study-g ... g-unusual/

Interesting. Not sure I buy it, but it's interesting.

This is not the widely held industry belief, however. And the numbers over the last 50 years bear out a different story.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:45 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Rich wrote:
MNDolfan wrote:
Rich wrote:

Agreed. We have all the resources right here in North America. So let's move forward with the Keystone Pipeline and further exploration offshore.

I support Keystone, one of the few lefties who do. We should also explore drilling sites in lots of places. Ultimately, we don't have a never ending supply of these resources. We will run out, whether it's 20 years, 50 years or 150 years.

Why not invest now, get in on the ground floor of this movement and be a world leader in the field. This is what we used to do. And it made our country very, very rich.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:50 pm 

MNDolfan wrote:
Interesting. Not sure I buy it, but it's interesting.

This is not the widely held industry belief, however. And the numbers over the last 50 years bear out a different story.

The planet has been around for billions of years (or 6,000 years if you are Mike Hukabee).

Whether billions or 6000, 50 years of data is a blip on the radar.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:52 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

The temps for the last 50 years do not agree and if we are talking about global climate change then the fact that temps change over time is not something to get upset about it has happened and will continue to happen. I remember well in the 1970 being warned that global cooling was coming and it was mans fault now it is global warming and it is mans fault. Who's fault was it in the last ice age.

Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next