Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
 Post subject: Dr Carson........
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:55 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

I cant help it. But the more this guy speaks, the more I like him:

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2015/09/ ... ho-we-are/

His lack of experience is alarming however. But his demeanor and ability to articulate and convey issues , I think he may be one of the best public speakers I've ever heard.

Can a guy with such a lack of experience surround himself with people who could get the job done?
That's the question I'm waiting to see if he can answer for me. But he is the only candidate so far that sends really good vibes when he speaks to me.

I'm not endorsing him for President. Just saying I really like the guy. Cant say that about ANY of the other candidates. No politicians anywhere actually..........

Post subject: Re: Dr Carson........
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:40 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

The way he speaks annoys me. He looks half asleep and then puts me half to sleep. He needs some 5 hour energy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:10 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Rich wrote:
The way he speaks annoys me. He looks half asleep and then puts me half to sleep. He needs some 5 hour energy.

I think he's calm and his demeanor shows a brilliant articulate person whos not in a rush to take over a conversation. Almost feels like a personal one on one when he speaks. But that hardly makes him presidential. That Carly Fiorina scares me. Shes out to even the odds on all those men that fired her over the years. I'd like to see her smile just once. They could place her a$$ in the North pole and end global warming.......

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:42 pm 

Carson needs to stop blinking so much. He looks confused.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:18 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

He doesn't believe in evolution and even called the theory the work of the devil.

So subtract a bunch of points from his "brilliant" column.

His skill as a doctor is beyond question, but his views on the above... Not good.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:10 am 

1984phins wrote:
He doesn't believe in evolution and even called the theory the work of the devil.

His skill as a doctor is beyond question, but his views on the above... Not good.

They are all Christians, right? So I have to vote for someone who doesn't share my religious views no matter what.....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:49 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Rich wrote:
1984phins wrote:

They are all Christians, right? So I have to vote for someone who doesn't share my religious views no matter what.....

If you stick with the Republicans, yes, I believe they are all religious. Even if they're not really religious, I think they all will at least say they are for votes. I don't know yet who is running as a Democrat, so I dunno about them, but at least there is one I know of that isn't really religious.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:00 pm 

Cathal wrote:
If you stick with the Republicans, yes, I believe they are all religious. Even if they're not really religious, I think they all will at least say they are for votes. I don't know yet who is running as a Democrat, so I dunno about them, but at least there is one I know of that isn't really religious.

All of the Democrats running are "religious" as well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:10 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Rich wrote:
Carson needs to stop blinking so much. He looks confused.

I noticed that. Its definitely a tick of some kind. It could be because he's really nervous. I don't see him stressed at all. he's retired, he has 59 Doctorates. Yes.....59. He consults all the time still on cases.

I get trump sort of. He's a billionaire several times over. He can have anything he wants. I think he just wants the big chair once. I think a lot of the things he says are true , and he has balls , but its definitely and ego issue with him

But Dr Carson I haven't figured out yet. This is definitely not for power or ego. He's not mega rich , but he is certainly well off. I'm trying to figure out his deal.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:15 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Rich wrote:
1984phins wrote:

Exactly. A few months ago a few here jumped all over me for raising the point that I like alot of these candidate's. I just wish they would leave the religion and Pro life stuff out of it. I do not have ANYTHING in common spiritually with the GOP. However Fundamentally , family value wise , I agree with them whole heartedly. I believe they lose a lot of vote on religion alone.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:44 am 
Admin | Forum Design
Admin | Forum Design

I know this was awhile back, but I thought I'd come hang in the political forum a minute or two.

I'm with Rich to the point of Carson making me snooze.

Nobody can argue his brilliance, but to me, he doesn't have that "it" factor. Sure he's one lined Trump with the "He's an OK doctor" thing and a couple others, but he doesn't have the spark, the chutzpah needed to get the job done imo.

I know this is a side question really, but it's an honest one. I've never undrestood why things like The Big Bang Theory and other scientific theories can't align with religion. I'm the first to admit I'm no theology guy when it comes to the Bible, so I may be way out of context here. But didn't God say "Let there be light" at some point? If that's the case, why couldn't the Big Bang Theory be the result of that action he took? Maybe that's how he created the light?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:05 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Coots I am no expert but I understand that there are many Christians who don't have a problem with seeing the big bang and the bible as being on the same page so to speak.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/06/ ... -big-bang/

For the record I am not one of them but I would think that the majority of people who self identify as Christians would also believe the big bang theory.

Last edited by AQNOR on Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:06 am 

The world is not 6,000 years old.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:31 am 
Admin | Forum Design
Admin | Forum Design

Rich wrote:

All valid points and thanks for the link and chatter.

I'm at a personal crossroads in my own life regarding faith/religion. I was raised in a common bible belt Alabama baptist church, my father is currently a Pastor at a non-denominational church. I started having questions about God, science and all of that a few years ago.

I have many questions that probably shouldn't be brought up in a Dr. Carson thread, but at this point in my life, I feel like there is a God. Being honest, I don't think it's the way that the modern church has made it out to be or wants it to be.

The short version of why I am at that point and am currently seeking answers to is, at some point something was created. If you go back to the beginning of everything, religious belief or science, at some point something had to be created from nothing. It's hard for me to wrap my mind around "somthing just is" or in this case "the universes just were". What, who, how, or when all that happened I doubt we'll ever know in our lifetime. That's just where I'm at personally.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:36 am 

I'm open to the idea of something just being with no beginning and no end.

We as humans tend to want to explain things based on what we are willing to accept.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:40 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I am a pk too. It is normal to question. I think there are answers and that faith in God is also reasonable but like you said Dr. Carson thread.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:56 am 

Well AQNOR this is pertinent to DR Carson since he has some strong creationist beliefs.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:10 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I think Dr. Carson has already stated his views on this.

Quote:
"And people say, 'Well, you believe the earth is 6,000 years old.' I didn't say I believe the earth is 6,000 years old. I do believe in the Bible though. The Bible says 'In the beginning God created the heaven and the Earth,' period. Now we don't know how long lapsed between that period and the next sentence. It could have been five years, it could have been 50 billion years. We don't know the answer to that," he continued. "But I tell you something else: God is God, and He can create the world any age He wants to. It is very arrogant for any scientist to say, just because they can't explain it, it doesn't exist."
Read more at http://www.christianpost.com/news/ben-c ... 66jaLw4.99

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:34 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Coots wrote:
Rich wrote:

All valid points and thanks for the link and chatter.

I'm at a personal crossroads in my own life regarding faith/religion. I was raised in a common bible belt Alabama baptist church, my father is currently a Pastor at a non-denominational church. I started having questions about God, science and all of that a few years ago.

I have many questions that probably shouldn't be brought up in a Dr. Carson thread, but at this point in my life, I feel like there is a God. Being honest, I don't think it's the way that the modern church has made it out to be or wants it to be.

The short version of why I am at that point and am currently seeking answers to is, at some point something was created. If you go back to the beginning of everything, religious belief or science, at some point something had to be created from nothing. It's hard for me to wrap my mind around "somthing just is" or in this case "the universes just were". What, who, how, or when all that happened I doubt we'll ever know in our lifetime. That's just where I'm at personally.

Its a tremendous question one we will probably never know the answer to in this life , or aspect of "this life". Religion to me is a deeply personal thing that can be interpreted in so many ways depending on so many factors. When I look at it over thousands of yrs, even the most popular religions have changed with society. Today you have Hollywoods famous "Kabbala" and Jews for Jesus. Its really people taking what they like from certain religions and just forming their own.

And I think that's great if it makes you feel spiritual and just plain better. But it also signals to me that religion might be very much man made. But I am human and I want and need to believe in something like everyone else. I think Believing in a god or some sort keeps us divided from the animals. Keeps us from killing, keeps us "Human".

I believe very much in "Karma". You get what you give out of life. So who is balancing that? Their is a spiritual entity out there somewhere. Do I believe in a heaven and hell? heaven just might be a made up story like the Jihadist 40 virgins . And as I get older and closer to the evitable I just may "humanly" choose to believe in heaven to make myself feel better about dying. To feel better about a loved ones passing so I can convince myself I'll see them again. Who knows? Who is right and who is wrong?

You should believe is what makes you feel better. That's why I don't approve of the Religious right constantly injecting religion and their beliefs in every speech. Its what's holding back the GOP from becoming truly great and the main party. They need to change. Fundamentally I agree with it all. The family values, the core of the GOP is me. God , Freedom , and the American way. But let people choose who that god is for themselves.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:23 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Religions are usually man made that is why God came to earth as a human the God/man Jesus the Christ. He came to underscore God's offer of relationship not religion. He sacrificed himself to pay the penalty for our sin. He made it possible for man to be reconciled to God.

Humans are made for relationship with God and we have it through repenting from our sins and turning to God with Jesus the Christ as our savior.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:03 pm 

Several other faiths... belief systems... whatever you want to call them... have savior-like figures.

Christianity is not original in this regard.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:15 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

AQNOR wrote:
Religions are usually man made that is why God came to earth as a human the God/man Jesus the Christ. He came to underscore God's offer of relationship not religion. He sacrificed himself to pay the penalty for our sin. He made it possible for man to be reconciled to God.

Humans are made for relationship with God and we have it through repenting from our sins and turning to God with Jesus the Christ as our savior.

May I ask how you know all that? I believe you have a great faith. And I respect that immensely. I respect all religions and everyone's "faith". To believe in something without actual proof. But should it be a cornerstone of a presidential bid? My only point is that republicans (GOP) should be more grounded in their family values and other issues. They lose a lot of votes to their labeling themselves as a Christian run organization only.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:29 am 

MiamiMenace wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

May I ask how you know all that? I believe you have a great faith. And I respect that immensely. I respect all religions and everyone's "faith". To believe in something without actual proof. But should it be a cornerstone of a presidential bid? My only point is that republicans (GOP) should be more grounded in their family values and other issues. They lose a lot of votes to their labeling themselves as a Christian run organization only.

Their heavy lean towards religion and backwards views on several "social" issues is why I am not a Republican. I cannot vote for a Ted Cruz or Mike Huckabee.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:40 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Quote:
Their heavy lean towards religion and backwards views on several "social" issues is why I am not a Republican. I cannot vote for a Ted Cruz or Mike Huckabee.

I hear that. I actually like Ted Cruz a lot , but when he speaks it turns more into a sunday morning sermon which annoys me. Religion is a wide spread personal thing. Making it so apparent in a presidential bid , no doubt alienates people and loses votes. Stop shoving the religion thing down peoples throats. Your representing yourself so of course you need to mention it, but after that get off it and on the issues. That's probably the only really attractive thing about Trump. He hardly mentions his faith. And look how popular he has become. Am I the only one that can see that?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:47 am 

Ted Cruz is creepy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:40 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Rich wrote:
Ted Cruz is creepy.

Name one that isn't Creepy is some sort of way. Except for maybe Gov. Palin. But she is about as bright as a solar powered flashlight........

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:37 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

MiamiMenace wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

One reason why I know this is because of my relationship with God. I know what I was before God saved me. I was lost, I was a sinner without hope. I was alone, cut off from God because of my sin. He saved me and I have a personal relationship with him. I don't have a blind faith but a reasonable one. I have a faith based on a personal relationship with God and I have His word where He has recorded some of His thoughts for me to be guided by.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:25 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

AQNOR wrote:
MiamiMenace wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

One reason why I know this is because of my relationship with God. I know what I was before God saved me. I was lost, I was a sinner without hope. I was alone, cut off from God because of my sin. He saved me and I have a personal relationship with him. I don't have a blind faith but a reasonable one. I have a faith based on a personal relationship with God and I have His word where He has recorded some of His thoughts for me to be guided by.

I think that's awesome. I'm really happy for you that you found peace and a faith to live. I feel we all speak to the same god, just in many different ways. All faith is good. And I never meant to disparage anyone's faith or religion, I just think because so many people speak to god in so many different ways it should be left to the individual. The GOP is very close minded IMO because they all seem to push only one labeled view and ultimately it has cost them in the last two elections drastically. They need to change and not just cater to the middle aged white American. America is getting very diverse and they need to change with it.

Americans are suffering , the American way of life is at stake , Lets get God Period back into the American way of life. Let the people decide which god it will be later on. :yay:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:36 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

If you want "God" back in the life of America and the people choose then you may soon be living under Sharia law. The USA was founded under Judeo/ Christian principles. The God of the Bible in other words. Not sure how you are going to get God back into the American way of life if you are not sure what "God" that is.

I believe in religious liberty people worshiping God as they see fit. It certainly was a founding principle in the formation of this country. The principles of morality I find in the Bible are the ones I think are best for this country or any country for that matter. I will continue to promote and back those principles.

I in no way want a church-state though to be clear.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:01 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

AQNOR wrote:
If you want "God" back in the life of America and the people choose then you may soon be living under Sharia law. The USA was founded under Judeo/ Christian principles. The God of the Bible in other words. Not sure how you are going to get God back into the American way of life if you are not sure what "God" that is.

I believe in religious liberty people worshiping God as they see fit. It certainly was a founding principle in the formation of this country. The principles of morality I find in the Bible are the ones I think are best for this country or any country for that matter. I will continue to promote and back those principles.

I in no way want a church-state though to be clear.

I think we are on the same plane. No labels, but respecting a higher power and realizing you are just a small part of it all.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:11 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

I thought this was cool:

'
Pretty much sums it up.......back when democrats were not really disguised as activist socialists.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:49 am 

Many of the Founding Fathers were Deists. Not firm believers in the Bible.

de·ism/ˈdēizəm,ˈdāizəm/
noun
belief in the existence of a supreme being, specifically of a creator who does not intervene in the universe. The term is used chiefly of an intellectual movement of the 17th and 18th centuries that accepted the existence of a creator on the basis of reason but rejected belief in a supernatural deity who interacts with humankind.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:02 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I agree that many were indeed Deists but I don't think that the definition you put for Deists is one that fits them completely although it did for some.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:46 am 

AQNOR wrote:
I agree that many were indeed Deists but I don't think that the definition you put for Deists is one that fits them completely although it did for some.

Quote:
3.the largest group consisted of founders who retained Christian loyalties and practice but were influenced by Deism. They believed in little or none of the miracles and supernaturalism inherent in the Judeo-Christian tradition. Holmes finds a spectrum of such Deistic Christians among the founders,[citation needed] ranging from John Adams and George Washington on the conservative right to Benjamin Franklin and James Monroe on the skeptical left.[page needed]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:09 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
“The longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?”

Below are two more quotes from Franklin that express his understanding of God:

“My dear friend, do not imagine that I am vain enough to ascribe our success [Revolution] to any superiority…If it had not been for the justice of our cause, and the consequent interposition of Providence, in which we had faith, we must have been ruined. If I had ever before been an atheist, I should now have been convinced of the being and government of a Deity!”
—In a letter to William Strahan, August 19, 1784

“I must own I have so much faith in the general government of the world by Providence that I can hardly conceive a transaction of such momentous importance to the welfare of millions now existing, and to exist in the posterity of a great nation, should be suffered to pass without being in some degree influenced, guided, and governed by that omnipotent, omnipresent, and beneficent Ruler.”
—On the impact of Independence on generations of Americans during the Constitutional Convention

https://thescroogereport.wordpress.com/ ... ependence/

Franklin believed in a "God" who is active in His creation. He did not believe as the Bible teaches about Christ.

Quote:
"Here is my Creed," Franklin wrote to Stiles. "I believe in one God, Creator of the Universe. That He governs it by His Providence. That he ought to be worshipped. That the most acceptable Service we render to him, is doing Good to his other Children. That the Soul of Man is immortal, and will be treated with Justice in another Life respecting its Conduct in this ... As for Jesus of Nazareth ... I think the system of Morals and Religion as he left them to us, the best the World ever saw ... but I have ... some Doubts to his Divinity; though' it is a Question I do not dogmatism upon, having never studied it, and think it is needless to busy myself with it now, where I expect soon an Opportunity of knowing the Truth with less Trouble."

He was guided by a Judeo/Christian ethic and principles.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/se ... fs/1014592

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:12 pm 

Great, I can find quotes to the counter.

Quote:
1823 April 11. (Jefferson to John Adams). "The truth is that the greatest enemies to the doctrines of Jesus are those calling themselves the expositors of them, who have perverted them for the structure of a system of fancy absolutely incomprehensible, and without any foundation in his genuine words. And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter. But we may hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away all this artificial scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this the most venerated reformer of human errors."15

Quote:
Benjamin Franklin - "How are we to interpret the Bible? Although they place such importance on it, the fundamentalists, in my experience, strangely misuse the Bible. Actually the term "Fundamentalist" is a misnomer. The more proper term is "inerrantists", those who believe that the Bible is not only the devinely inspired word of God but the actual transcribed, unaltered word of God, and that it is subject to only one kind of literal interpretation, namely theirs. Such thinking, to my mind, only impoverishes the Bible."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:35 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Great, I think we are probably talking about two different things. I am not saying that they were not Deists. The quotes I offer support the idea that they were Deists. That they did not hold to the Bible as being absolute truth I am not disputing. The quotes you offered imo do not counter the point I was making.

The quote you gave to start with as what a Deists was, that they did not think the higher power had anything to do now with the present universe. That was true for some but not all was my point. Your second quote even seemed to suggest that Franklin was one of those on the skeptical left. But Franklin did believe that Deity did intervene in the natural universe. That was the point.

My other point was that the founding fathers did, for the most part, buy into Judeo/Christian ethics and principles. I was not trying to say that they believed in an inerrantist view of the Bible. An inerrant view of scripture is not a Judeo/Christian ethic or principle in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:46 pm 

AQNOR wrote:
Great, I think we are probably talking about two different things. I am not saying that they were not Deists. The quotes I offer support the idea that they were Deists. That they did not hold to the Bible as being absolute truth I am not disputing. The quotes you offered imo do not counter the point I was making.

The quote you gave to start with as what a Deists was, that they did not think the higher power had anything to do now with the present universe. That was true for some but not all was my point. Your second quote even seemed to suggest that Franklin was one of those on the skeptical left. But Franklin did believe that Deity did intervene in the natural universe. That was the point.

My other point was that the founding fathers did, for the most part, buy into Judeo/Christian ethics and principles. I was not trying to say that they believed in an inerrantist view of the Bible. An inerrant view of scripture is not a Judeo/Christian ethic or principle in my opinion.

Where did I state that Deists do not believe in a supreme being? That is exactly what they believe in. They just don't believe in all the religions mumbo jumbo.

The plurality of Founding Fathers were Deists.

There are too many people that have this belief that the Founding Fathers were Christian. The fact is they were Deist, which essentially means they didn't believe in this nonsense such as the resurrection and all the acid trip garbage you read in Revelations.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:12 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I don't think we are speaking about the same thing. I am not sure why you are asking about Deists not believing in a Supreme Being. Could you point out where I said, you said, Deists don't believe in a Supreme Being. I have said nothing of the sort.

I have never disputed that they were Deists not sure how you are reading my posts.

If you could point to any of my posts where I said the founding fathers were Christians not Deists, if that is what you think I said, maybe it could help clear things up. Otherwise I think we are talking about different things.

You say that the resurrection is nonsense. I assume you mean that Jesus the Christ resurrection is nonsense. Is it not a wonder that He still loves you. He loved you enough to die for you to die for our sins. The God/man the only one who was able to pay the penalty for our sins. I pray that His love will disperse your unbelief I am sorry that you think that the book of Revelations is garbage. I also pray that you will never undergo the truth that is contained there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:10 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

I see believe whatever you wish if it brings you comfort. If you were once a troubled person and now you are not......how can it be a bad thing? But again , that's why I believe it should be kept personal. Because so many people believe in different things only bad things will come when you try to make others believe as you do.

One thing I don't get......I see many religious people. They seem happy enough and that's great. But then they have to start going door to door to convert others to believe what they believe. Why?
And I get that same feeling from the GOP many times. I wish they would stop alienating others from voting republican by trying to convert them to Christianity. Promote the family values , The American way of life, let others decide what God to believe in and how to speak to him/her. If the GOP can seize that , they will be hugely successful. Until then its always going to be a battle.

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next