All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:08 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:39 pm
Posts: 1184
Rich wrote:
First of all, those are exit polls, which are wildly unreliable. Remember the exit polling showed Kerry beating Bush handily. It is also well documented that white Evangelicals loved Bush and he specifically targetted that group with his compassionate conservatism approach. There was no love lost between white Evangelicals and McCain and in fact some white Evangelicals went to Obama because Obama positioned himself as an Evangelical and the "climate change" message resonates with some Evangelicals who believe in end times prophecies.

Lastly, a portion of white Evangelicals are not OK with Mormonism and Romney is a Mormon.


First off, what is the data you have to back the original claim?
The exit polls do show that you are right that Obama got a bigger share of the Evangelical vote than Kerry, but the polls also show this support eroded in 2012.

Rich wrote:
That being said, your percentages are misleading because they don't take into account actual count. As an example, there are 4 million "missing" white Evangelical votes from 2014. This means, people that were expected to vote but didn't.


The percentages I listed represent their makeup of the electorate, which directly answers if they stayed home instead of voting. If they did stay home, then their share of the electorate should have declined.

I'm not being combative. What data suggests this? Saying exit polls can be inaccurate is a correct, but do we have something else that is more reliable?

The 2014 vote doesn't seem to apply to the original query, which was presidential elections, but I am curious anyway.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:21 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:39 pm
Posts: 1184
MiamiMenace wrote:
I saw a bumper sticker the other day that summed it up perfectly. Obama put us in the toilet.



Give me four reasons to back this up. Use facts/data when possible. Thanks.



PS: I'm going to take a break from this for a while. Need to focus on getting about 15 books read. Have fun, guys!

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:33 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10253
Location: MA
1984phins wrote:
Here is the Gallup trend : as of May, 60% supported marriage equality.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/117328/marriage.aspx

Abortion trend is volatile. Currently at 50% pro choice, 44% pro life.

Also, if you dissect it a bit, 81% are in favor of abortions in all (29%) or some (51%) circumstances. Only 19% are in favor of illegal in ALL circumstances. That is the current Walker position, apparently. So the GOP should be careful here.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/1576/abortion.aspx


So lets put it to the test. Have each issue as a ballot question in every state.

Again, I say this as someone who supports gay marriage. As for abortion, tough call.

As for Walker, I thought his position was to not allow it after 20 weeks. Doesn't matter, he isn't getting the nomination. And I really don't think this issue is a deal breaker for either side. Immigration, foreign policy and jobs are the factors.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:26 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:55 am
Posts: 619
1984phins wrote:
MiamiMenace wrote:
I saw a bumper sticker the other day that summed it up perfectly. Obama put us in the toilet.



Give me four reasons to back this up. Use facts/data when possible. Thanks.



PS: I'm going to take a break from this for a while. Need to focus on getting about 15 books read. Have fun, guys!



Well if your leaving then what's the point? Enjoy reading ,,,,,,,,,,,,

At this point I don't care who is nominated , as long as they can beat Hillary. Not a more crooked politician alive.........


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:05 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:55 am
Posts: 619
Will this guy go away? he seems to be actually getting stronger.........and I love this quote:

---------------------------------------
The other candidates, he says, “have pollsters; they pay these guys $200,000 a month to tell them, ‘Don’t say this, don’t say that, you use the wrong word, you shouldn’t put a comma here.’ I don’t want any of that. I have a nice staff, but no one tells me what to say. I go by my heart. The combination of heart and brain. When Hillary gets up there she reads and then goes away for three days.”

---------------------------------------
Wow.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/int ... ar-BBlMjEf

This guy keeps saying the right things, it just may be really bad news for the GOP.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:37 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26234
Location: Miami, FL
Obama didn't put us in the toilet, he just flushed it while we were still in there.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:20 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:55 am
Posts: 619
Rich wrote:
Obama didn't put us in the toilet, he just flushed it while we were still in there.

It certainly wasn't the "change" we were promised though was it? :crap


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26234
Location: Miami, FL
MiamiMenace wrote:
Rich wrote:
Obama didn't put us in the toilet, he just flushed it while we were still in there.

It certainly wasn't the "change" we were promised though was it? :crap


I don't see a post partisan or post racial America. That's for sure.

If anything, those things have gotten worse.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:00 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:55 am
Posts: 619
Rich wrote:
MiamiMenace wrote:
Rich wrote:
Obama didn't put us in the toilet, he just flushed it while we were still in there.

It certainly wasn't the "change" we were promised though was it? :crap


I don't see a post partisan or post racial America. That's for sure.

If anything, those things have gotten worse.



No doubt. Obama had a chance to make things much better. He choose to throw salt into the wounds, further divide the country. It explained why Al Sharpton was invited to 81 dinners over the last 7 yrs.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:02 pm 
Offline
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:48 pm
Posts: 16
I'm voting for Trump. Not because he's the President America deserves, but because he's the one it needs right now. So I'll vote for him. Because he can do it. Because he's not politically correct. He's not a silent guardian. Or in anyone's pockets. He's A Dark Knight.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:46 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:13 am
Posts: 71
Martin wrote:
I'm voting for Trump. Not because he's the President America deserves, but because he's the one it needs right now. So I'll vote for him. Because he can do it. Because he's not politically correct. He's not a silent guardian. Or in anyone's pockets. He's A Dark Knight.


I'm sure that's a joke, so I laughed. :) Otherwise, I'm scared.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:23 pm 
Offline
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:48 pm
Posts: 16
Cathal wrote:
Martin wrote:
I'm voting for Trump. Not because he's the President America deserves, but because he's the one it needs right now. So I'll vote for him. Because he can do it. Because he's not politically correct. He's not a silent guardian. Or in anyone's pockets. He's A Dark Knight.


I'm sure that's a joke, so I laughed. :) Otherwise, I'm scared.


You should be scared, for the socialists and the feminazi's and social justice warriors.

Dr. Ian Malcolm famously said "Life finds a way". Life has found a way.... of correcting the situation, fixing the damage, eradicating the disease. And unfortunately for us it's Donald Trump. He's the universes reaction to the pest. He's the colon cleansing we need.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:25 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:55 am
Posts: 619
The one thing I like about Trump is that he's not in anyones pocket. All before him needed others $$$ to get them in the public eye. Get them votes. This would be the first Billionaire President. I don't think anyone in the past 50 yrs was even Multi millionaires until after the presidency. So they all had their hands out. Now here's the question.........is Trumps only agenda to help the American people? :headscratch Or is this just his latest want because its something he cant buy or have no matter how much money he has?


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:28 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10253
Location: MA
If you haven't realized that every recent president has made sure to maximize the bottom lines of himself, his family, his colleagues and his donors...we just keep getting the bill.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:32 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:55 am
Posts: 619
jammer wrote:
If you haven't realized that every recent president has made sure to maximize the bottom lines of himself, his family, his colleagues and his donors...we just keep getting the bill.



That's what I said. But Trump doesn't need any of that. His family friends, no one could spend his money in a life time. So what's his agenda? Is he really captain America or just a pompous racist?

I want a republican in the white house period. So I want the best chance of shutting Hillary or whoever gets the nod. If its Trump then I'm willing to give him the chance, but I'm not certain the country is.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:45 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26234
Location: Miami, FL
Trump also has a long history of progressivism. He is a strong believer in eminent domain, he was for Planned Parenthood before he was against it, etc etc etc.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:52 am 
Offline
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:55 am
Posts: 619
Rich wrote:
Trump also has a long history of progressivism. He is a strong believer in eminent domain, he was for Planned Parenthood before he was against it, etc etc etc.



I agree. And I don't see that as a bad thing. Not at all. He was a developer, that's how he made his fortune. He's talked about beautiful cities, roads, and cities all over the world. He's sees America going backwards. Money going out to other countries. Those third world countries getting better while we fall apart. And many of their outcasts coming here. Not wanting to improve anything. he makes a lot of sense that way.

What I don't like is he cant run this country like a company that he is the CEO of. That's kind of what Obama is trying to do . You have to work with others, take the peoples opinions, and wants into consideration. Not so sure he can handle that. But I'm definitely not as steadfastly against him as I was when I started this thread. I think he's changing peoples hearts and minds a bit , making people think. Even other Right wingers. That's an accomplishment.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:59 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26234
Location: Miami, FL
You don't see a strong believer in eminent domain as a bad thing?

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:00 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:55 am
Posts: 619
Rich wrote:
You don't see a strong believer in eminent domain as a bad thing?


I was referring to Trump having a long history of progressivism. I'm for it.

As far as eminent domain you cant say its a good or a bad thing IMO. Sometimes its downright necessary. Right now where I live they are planning a bridge over a river that will greatly help the Traffic problems in this area. As it grows and the people come, this is a necessary evil. a few dozen residents lost their homes to eminent domain to have the bridge constructed. They were paid fair prices and its sad , but it was necessary.

Eminent domain to build a giant casino in Atlantic city like Trump tried on a old woman and lost? NOT necessary and wrong. Things like that make me hesitant about the guy.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26234
Location: Miami, FL
MiamiMenace wrote:
Rich wrote:
You don't see a strong believer in eminent domain as a bad thing?


I was referring to Trump having a long history of progressivism. I'm for it.

As far as eminent domain you cant say its a good or a bad thing IMO. Sometimes its downright necessary. Right now where I live they are planning a bridge over a river that will greatly help the Traffic problems in this area. As it grows and the people come, this is a necessary evil. a few dozen residents lost their homes to eminent domain to have the bridge constructed. They were paid fair prices and its sad , but it was necessary.

Eminent domain to build a giant casino in Atlantic city like Trump tried on a old woman and lost? NOT necessary and wrong. Things like that make me hesitant about the guy.


Agreed. Eminent domain should require the strictest standards in order to be exercised.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:36 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:55 am
Posts: 619
Did you see who Trumps latest backer is?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ ... smsnnews11


Tom Brady. :hithead: I don't know if its a good thing or a bad thing for the republican party. I'd rather the liars and cheats go back Hillary and Biden. :fart:


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:24 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26234
Location: Miami, FL
Don't worry, Hillary will do an adequate job of damaging the Democrat party all by herself.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:51 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:55 am
Posts: 619
Rich wrote:
Don't worry, Hillary will do an adequate job of damaging the Democrat party all by herself.



I can drink to that. :yay:

Listening to the GOP debates last night They all had things I liked and things I didn't. I wish I could pick apart a few pieces from each one and put together a super Nominee.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:16 am 
Offline
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:55 am
Posts: 619
Interesting factoid on Trump:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/ ... ar-AAeMFcv


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26234
Location: Miami, FL
So Trump supports Universal Healthcare and eliminating taxes completely for lower income families while raising them on hedge fund managers.

Is 1984 ready to support him now?

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:36 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:55 am
Posts: 619
OK.......Last post in this thread was from Sept. 15' . About 6 weeks after Trump first declared his run. We all laughed. I did as well. Then he got stronger. We said it would never last.

Here is the headlines in Jan 16' : TRUMP HERE TO STAY /GETTING STRONGER

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... -stronger/


What do we say now? :headscratch


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26234
Location: Miami, FL
Unbelieveable.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:50 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:13 am
Posts: 71
He certainly hit a cord with a lot of people.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26234
Location: Miami, FL
Cathal wrote:
He certainly hit a cord with a lot of people.


Yep. Kinda scary. I'm curious to see if he tones it down during the general election if he wins the nomination.

But Trump is already attacking Hillary by taking out the foundation of her house in going after Bill. That could obviously backfire or pay off big.

We'll see.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:02 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:13 am
Posts: 71
Rich wrote:
Cathal wrote:
He certainly hit a cord with a lot of people.


Yep. Kinda scary. I'm curious to see if he tones it down during the general election if he wins the nomination.

But Trump is already attacking Hillary by taking out the foundation of her house in going after Bill. That could obviously backfire or pay off big.

We'll see.


Yep. Unfortunately it has gone too long, who knew we had to actually take his campaign seriously. It's actually quite a sad state of affairs when he is the front runner of a major political party.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26234
Location: Miami, FL
It's even sadder that we have almost 20 candidates and not one of them is worth considering at this point.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:40 am 
Offline
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:55 am
Posts: 619
Not my first choice by a landslide , But I said it before I don't care who is on the GOP ticket , Sort of like when the NY Jets play, I root for ANYONE playing the Jets , I'm voting for anyone against Hillary .

One thing Trump said recently about his attacks on Hillary .......He said she said first that I was a sexist and do not support women. He disagreed and compared himself to the Problems Bill had and accused her of enabling him. Guess what? She has stopped making anymore comments about him.
LOL.

I think if he gets the Nomination , and its looking good, He will have to tone it down some. He was looking to be heard over 20 candidates ,now he has to change speeds and not make it look like he is beating up on a old lady. No more insults. Let her do it and he needs to just smile and take the high road. get it now , don't follow up . Stick to the facts , the Emails, Bengazi, failed policies. SHE has a track record, Trump doesnt. If he gets involved in a name calling match he will lose.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:03 am 
Offline
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:55 am
Posts: 619
Interesting debate. Interesting exchanges, Cruz did well I think , but not enough to shake Trumps hold on the masses. He actually gave some good info on how China affects our economy. He's far from stupid.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:46 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10253
Location: MA
Cathal wrote:


Yep. Unfortunately it has gone too long, who knew we had to actually take his campaign seriously. It's actually quite a sad state of affairs when he is the front runner of a major political party.[/quote]

Same can be said for Hillary Clinton in terms of being a front runner.

Why the Democrats wouldn't look at someone like Jim Webb who appeared like a reasonable, moderate, blue collar type is beyond me.

My co-worker predicted two months ago that Hillary will either be indicted or forced to drop out, and Joe Biden will ride in to become the nominee. Initially I laughed.

But since then four major things have happened:

1. Bernie Sanders is coming on like a freight train

2. The investigation went from "never going to happen" to a 50/50 chance

3. Biden recently said not running was his biggest regret

4. Hillary is starting to campaign on the record of Obama because her poll numbers are fading and
Bernie has conquered the far left.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:25 am 
Offline
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:55 am
Posts: 619
Good post above. It's shaping up to possibly be a Trump /Biden race. :hithead:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ ... d=U146GDHP


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r