He broke the Squeelers' three-strike rule. His third brush with the law would have seen him cut, so Teams did not have to offer much.
Coming off his best year, too. 79 catches, 1248 yds, 5 TDs. He's looking at a four-game suspension, but the Jets get a steal here imho. However, get perspective.
The Dolphins ourselves loaded up on big-name folks that may or may not have been all they were touted. We had something like 19 first-rd picks on our team once, to 'load up' and go for a title.
Some guys helped, but others didn't live up to the fans' admittedly-overly optimistic expectations.
The Jets have LT. Okay, HOF player, but nosediving from the inevitable turbulence of age. I think in letting Jones go and taking LT that they downgraded at this point in LTs' career. Yes, the Greene kid looks good, but Jones was simply the best back in the AFC.
Jones is coming off his best season, 1402 yds @ 4.2 and 14 TDs. He's had five straight 1000 yd years.
LT hasn't averaged 4 yds a carry in either of the last two, and last season was his worst.
I'm glad Thomas Jones is a Chief. I'm glad we don't play him this year. LT at this point doesn't inspire the same fear in me.
Holmes is a big upgrade at WR, and that is troublesome, and the lurking spectre of potentially signing JT99 to a contract also causes me aingst, but c'mon.
Uh, this is a team we BEAT twice last season. They've upgraded at WR, downgraded at RB. The Jets also have launched a publicity campaign through their bellicose front-man and lead hawker Rappin' Rexy, and they're going to be the featured team in this preseason's 'Hard Knocks' show.
We are going to hear preseason hype about gangrene right up until they are eliminated from contention, with the same obsessive doggedness that the media follows the Brett Favre saga.
They'll be preseason favorites to win the AFCE on probably 60% of the prognosticators' (the other 40% will mostly be Patriots, we'll get some crumbs like 8% and the Jills will be struggling to get 2%) prediction sheets.
Rappin' Rexy will say two-three ridiculous or insipid things to humiliate himself on a monthly basis, and the NYJ fanbase, itself on average a chromosome short of human, will revel in every word because belligerence and obnoxiousness are things they admire.
Are you really worried about him more than the Dark Lord?
Does Sanchez and his hot-dog habit cause you more unsettlement than Brady?
Is Holmes/Cotchery going to be more troublesome than Moss/Welker (note: I realize Braylon Edwards is there, but Cotchery by the end was their best WR, and Holmes/Edwards still doesn't = Moss/Welker to me) are to handle?