View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 OT: Is an NFL player coming out of the closet? 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post OT: Is an NFL player coming out of the closet?
There's been a lot of talk recently about a current NFL player supposedly about to announce he's gay.

Some players and analysts have said that the NFL is ready. Others disagree. Ricky Williams came on campus last night and said there's "no way" a player could exist in an NFL locker room being openly gay. He said the locker room is a very homophobic environment and said he doesn't see a player coming out at all.

I was interested to get all your thoughts on this. Do you think the NFL is ready for it?

Hopefully, for their sake, if this player does come out, I hope it's somebody whose relevant as a player; someone who is respected already in his locker room and by the fan base.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:51 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: OT: Is an NFL player coming out of the closet?
*sigh* What a distraction from what is really important... the game on the field.

None of this should matter.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:52 pm

Rich wrote:
*sigh* What a distraction from what is really important... the game on the field.

I agree. Unfortunately it is/going to be a huge deal.

But what you said is why I wouldn't sign/draft a player who I know is gay. I don't want to be the first to take the plunge. Not worth it.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:59 pm

You're probably right, it would need to be someone notable for other players to respect it.

Like an elite QB or a player with a tough reputation like a Ray Lewis type...

Now if a punter were to come out............

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:01 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Rich wrote:

But what you said is why I wouldn't sign/draft a player who I know is gay. I don't want to be the first to take the plunge. Not worth it.

It's only a huge deal if people make it one.

In the end, it doesn't change how the guy plays on the field. And therefore it will all blow over and people will forget why they even cared about it.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:07 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

The locker room setting might be considered "homophobic" in that guys will make all sorts of ignorant jokes by using slurs for people who are gay, but I can't imagine how if someone on any team came out it being a problem. You are involved as a team and you look out for one another. And if one has a problem with it then there will be others to defend it. Philbin also seems like the type of guy that wouldn't put up with one drop of bullshyt from players if they were harping on another for their sexuality, religion, etc.

I think the NFL is more ready for it than others think. There are some strong gay right activists already in the league and I am sure there are tons more players who would be willing to speak up for it if asked about it.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:26 pm

I hope the NFL is ready. I hope society is ready. Every family member probaby has a gay relative or loved one. If they dont they just do not know it. Judging / critisizing / discriminating / hateing on someone for that reason is just wrong in these times (or any). This topic was recently addressed on Necessary Roughness.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:49 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:

I feel the same way. However, I am sure the media will turn this whole thing into a 3 ring circus.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:53 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I think the media will make a big deal of it, but I don't think any locker room will give two sh*ts about it if the team is winning and the guy is contributing. Many players in every locker room do things that the other guys don't agree with, and I don't think this would be any different.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:16 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
Rich wrote:

I know some gay people who use homophobic slurs as jokes and try to keep it lighthearted...sort of in the sense of being macho versus gentle. And yeah, most of them were athletes. I think if it stays in that realm it shouldn't be a locker room issue. When it grows into a bullying scenario it would be a major issue.

If the person coming out tries to make it an all about him situation then I agree it is a distraction that probably won't be tolerated in the locker room. If he plays it as, "yeah I'm gay, its accepted and I'm not ashamed. Next question," then guys might rally around him being himself and being a team first person.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:59 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Well... Pat White is back in the NFL. I got my money on twinkle toes coming out :)

Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:37 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

cspooner13 wrote:
I think the media will make a big deal of it, but I don't think any locker room will give two sh*ts about it if the team is winning and the guy is contributing. Many players in every locker room do things that the other guys don't agree with, and I don't think this would be any different.

I don't think an NFL team would have a problem with someone coming out. But I do think an NFL team will resent the hell out of being forced under the magnifying glass of the national media. The constant questions and attention this issue will bring will be a major distraction. I think the team members and fan base will resent the distraction this circus will become and will wonder how it affects the teams ability to concentrate on winning after every loss. And they will resent the player that came out and brought all this attention and distraction to them. They won't resent him because he is gay they will resent him because he brought a big distraction to their goal of winning football games to push some personal agenda.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:52 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Being a gay guy in a locker room full of naked dudes is like one of us being in a locker room full of naked girls. It will be hard (no pun intended) to get naked in front of him, awkward.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:53 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I heard a rumor that it was Aaron Rogers....
Personally I could care less, just play ball!

Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:58 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
Being a gay guy in a locker room full of naked dudes is like one of us being in a locker room full of naked girls. It will be hard (no pun intended) to get naked in front of him, awkward.

Is it very different than having gay media members in the locker room?

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:15 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:

That's such a stereotypical male point of view. Let's look at it: You've compared it to being in a locker room full of naked girls, implying that they guy would be oogling them and such. If that guy were in a locker room full of naked women he didn't find attractive, it wouldn't be a problem. Why do we (as straight men) automatically assume that every gay guy finds EVERY man attractive? We (again, as straight men) don't find EVERY woman attractive, why is the assumption different for them?

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:50 pm
Profile WWW

cspooner13 wrote:
We (again, as straight men) don't find EVERY woman attractive

Speak for yourself....

Wait....uhhh....I mean....

Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:00 pm
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

Who didn't see this coming? It couldn't be that he just is not very good. This is becoming more & more like using racism as a crutch.

Quote:
The Baltimore Ravens have had to part ways with many veteran players this offseason.

Linebacker Ray Lewis and center Matt Birk retired. Safety Ed Reed, linebacker Paul Kruger and linebacker Dannell Ellerbe signed with new teams. Safety Bernard Pollard was released as well.

The Ravens also made a decision to release linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo on Wednesday. The moves have been necessitated by the new contract given to quarterback Joe Flacco and trying to get their financial commitments under the salary cap.

However, Ayanbadejo thinks the reason for his release may not be that simple. Ayanbadejo and Minnesota Vikings punter Chris Kluwe have been incredibly outspoken supporters of gay rights. According to Tom Rock of Newsday, Ayanbadejo believes his activism for gay rights also was a factor in the team’s decision to release him.

Brendon Ayanbadejo believes gay rights activism played factor in release from Ravens

Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:20 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Who didn't see this coming? It couldn't be that he just is not very good. This is becoming more & more like using racism as a crutch.

Yep.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:23 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

You've compared it to being in a locker room full of naked girls, implying that they guy would be oogling them and such. If that guy were in a locker room full of naked women he didn't find attractive, it wouldn't be a problem.

I would bet that every guy in the world would find at least 1 cheerleader naked hot. Just like a woman or a gay guy would find a naked football player hot. Say what you want, I wouldn't want to be naked in front of a gay guy.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:25 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Is it very different than having gay media members in the locker room?

I believe they have clothes on or towels when the media comes in.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:26 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:
You've compared it to being in a locker room full of naked girls, implying that they guy would be oogling them and such. If that guy were in a locker room full of naked women he didn't find attractive, it wouldn't be a problem.

I would bet that every guy in the world would find at least 1 cheerleader naked hot. Just like a woman or a gay guy would find a naked football player hot. Say what you want, I wouldn't want to be naked in front of a gay guy.

For one, you did not specify "cheerleaders". Just because it's a locker room does not mean that it's a locker room of attractive people. Second, you can't assume that just because he's gay that he's going to be attracted to someone in the locker room.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:35 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

What about Gareth Thomas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3OnU_hNVrA

Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:59 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Well I for one am very proud of Tom Brady, and I hope his coming out paves the way for many more like him so this can be put behind us and we can focus on the game...

Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:06 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

10acjed wrote:
Well I for one am very proud of Tom Brady, and I hope his coming out paves the way for many more like him so this can be put behind us and we can focus on the game...

Good point 10acjed..........

Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:21 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

HOLY SH*# i just spit my coffee out.....

Thanks shularino, you just made my day

Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:34 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:

Quote:
The Baltimore Ravens have had to part ways with many veteran players this offseason.

Linebacker Ray Lewis and center Matt Birk retired. Safety Ed Reed, linebacker Paul Kruger and linebacker Dannell Ellerbe signed with new teams. Safety Bernard Pollard was released as well.

The Ravens also made a decision to release linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo on Wednesday. The moves have been necessitated by the new contract given to quarterback Joe Flacco and trying to get their financial commitments under the salary cap.

However, Ayanbadejo thinks the reason for his release may not be that simple. Ayanbadejo and Minnesota Vikings punter Chris Kluwe have been incredibly outspoken supporters of gay rights. According to Tom Rock of Newsday, Ayanbadejo believes his activism for gay rights also was a factor in the team’s decision to release him.

Brendon Ayanbadejo believes gay rights activism played factor in release from Ravens

I am watching an interview with him on NFL AM right now and he pointed to his age and lack of production for the Ravens releasing him and not his stand on gay rights.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:53 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

cspooner13 wrote:
Makchell wrote:

For one, you did not specify "cheerleaders". Just because it's a locker room does not mean that it's a locker room of attractive people. Second, you can't assume that just because he's gay that he's going to be attracted to someone in the locker room.

Lets be realistic here. Will he find every guy in the locker room attractive? Of course not. But we're not talking about showering at the YMCA with a bunch of tubby insurance salesmen. I'm sure he'll find a few guys he finds attractive.

Simple solution. If you feel uncomfortable that a gay guy is checking out your twig and berries then just shower when he's not in there.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:55 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

SOrry, I should have been more specific. Football players are good looking guys which is what a gay guy is attracted to just like we are attracted to good looking women. We have our opinions and maybe you are more "tolerent" than I am. Anyway, go Phins.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:18 am

Makchell wrote:
Football players are good looking guys

Ok bro, if that's how you roll... that's cool...

Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:20 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Did I say that? I must have been hacked. ummm, uuhhh.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:25 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:
Makchell wrote:
Football players are good looking guys

My mother was a bills fan in the 90's becasue Jim Kelley had a nice arse...

true story....

Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:33 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Makchell wrote:

I agree. Since locker rooms and showers are shared in a team atmosphere, keep it to themselves and just play football. I'd love to be a part of a team's cheerleader team and shower with them.

BTW, Magic Johnson's son came out of the closet. Does that count? I used to tell my buddies that Magic stood for "My <butt> Got Infected, Coach".

Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:29 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I'm just worried about what this may lead to..............

Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:33 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

LOL! Cutler got sacked!!

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:57 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

[i]My mother was a bills fan in the 90's becasue Jim Kelley had a nice arse...

Yep, and guys think about sex way more than women do, gay or not.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:59 am

Maybe this can be the new logo.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:41 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:

LOL! Cutler got sacked!!

That's actually Grossman. Brings a whole new meaning to sexy Rexy. Yeeeeeeesh

Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:46 pm
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

Quote:
Recently, free-agent linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo has been backpedaling more than a cornerback.

After suggesting this his support for same-sex marriage was a factor in his release by the Ravens, Ayanbadejo quickly said it wasn’t. Now, not long after explaining that four gay players are considering coming out at the same time, Ayanbadejo says they aren’t.

I guess Brendon changed his mind about coming out. :fart:

Ayanbadejo now says four gay players aren’t considering coming out

Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:43 am
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

10acjed wrote:

Thanks shularino, you just made my day
How should one read this? :grin:

Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next