Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: RG III
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:49 pm 
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Does anyone get more wide open targets than this guy? On two of his TD passes today there wasn't a defender within at least 10 yards of the receiver.

Post subject: Re: RG III
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:31 pm 
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

He creates that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:17 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Give credit to RG3, the coaching staff, and the receivers. They're all on top of their game right now. I never thought that college style read option stuff would work in the NFL, but it has so far.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:22 pm 
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Does anyone get more wide open targets than this guy? On two of his TD passes today there wasn't a defender within at least 10 yards of the receiver.

Yea the team Miami plays each week.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:57 pm 
2016 Draft Analyst
2016 Draft Analyst

he pretty much just throws wide open bombs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:24 am 
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

FINesse wrote:
He creates that.

Are defenses that afraid of him taking off that they just let receivers run wild?

The guy is awesome, no doubt, but everytime I see a highlight of him he's throwing to a wide open guy down field or in the end zone. I don't even see the likes of Rodgers and Brady getting those types of looks.

Maybe Tannehill needs to start scrambling more if it "creates" those blown coverages.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:21 am 
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

jammer wrote:
FINesse wrote:
He creates that.

Are defenses that afraid of him taking off that they just let receivers run wild?

The guy is awesome, no doubt, but everytime I see a highlight of him he's throwing to a wide open guy down field or in the end zone. I don't even see the likes of Rodgers and Brady getting those types of looks.

Maybe Tannehill needs to start scrambling more if it "creates" those blown coverages.

I like RG3 and while teams might figure him out after awhile and usually a QB like him really does not have all that success in this league I am thinking (maybe) he might be the first. Yes I think it has to do with him making the defenses think he will take off. That team has become a 4 down possession team because with him on 4th down between the 40's it is a fair bet they will go for it.
Tannehill really is not the the scrambling type. I thought this thread was gonna go in the direction that RG3 is a flash in the pan & Tannehill is much better, but like I wrote in an earlier thread this QB class has the potential to be really special. While Luck & RG3 are really proving themselves Miami , Seattle & even Cleveland may have found longtime starters.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:03 am 
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

FINesse wrote:
I like RG3 and while teams might figure him out after awhile and usually a QB like him really does not have all that success in this league I am thinking (maybe) he might be the first. Yes I think it has to do with him making the defenses think he will take off. That team has become a 4 down possession team because with him on 4th down between the 40's it is a fair bet they will go for it.
Tannehill really is not the the scrambling type. I thought this thread was gonna go in the direction that RG3 is a flash in the pan & Tannehill is much better, but like I wrote in an earlier thread this QB class has the potential to be really special. While Luck & RG3 are really proving themselves Miami , Seattle & even Cleveland may have found longtime starters.

No, my point was not to prop up Tannehill. I just can't get over how open receivers get for this guy. If its due to his ability to run then I'd think Vick would have the same things playing out for him.

We've seen Tannehill capitalize on a few blown coverages as does every other QB. But with RG III it just seems every time I watch Sportscenter its him flinging a deep ball to a wide open guy or throwing from the 5 yard line to a guy who doesn't have a defender near him in the front corner of the end zone. Its like he's playing college ball again.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:20 am 
2016 Draft Analyst
2016 Draft Analyst

I need to see Griffin do it 2 years in a row. That offense is just too simplified for defenses to not catch up. Like Cam Newton.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:25 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Tanny can scramble better than people think. He isn't on the same level as RG3, but he was a former wide receiver and was able to scramble well in college. I'd like to see him move outside the pocket more and become more of a dual threat. I don't ever expect him to be Vick, RG3, or any of those guys, but he could fit the mold of a Steve Young/John Elway type scrambler.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:31 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

He is a great young QB.

I still stick by my prediction that his abilities will not lead to a lot of NFL wins. He is on a team with no high draft picks, no salary cap room and a bad owner.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:36 am 
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Phin wrote:
Tanny can scramble better than people think. He isn't on the same level as RG3, but he was a former wide receiver and was able to scramble well in college. I'd like to see him move outside the pocket more and become more of a dual threat. I don't ever expect him to be Vick, RG3, or any of those guys, but he could fit the mold of a Steve Young/John Elway type scrambler.

Finally got to see some of that against Seattle. Got lucky with the roughing the passer call... but for the most part he looked much more comfortable getting outside that pocket and using his legs.

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]