View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Collective Bargaining Agreement 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Collective Bargaining Agreement
Since one thread was getting off topic and talking about the pending cap situation, I thought I'd open up one where we can debate what we think should be done to make the NFL more pleasant.

Should there be a hard cap, soft cap? Revenue sharing? Should rookie salaries be capped? What about the retirement ordeal?
Go ahead economists..

Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:53 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post Re: Collective Bargaining Agreement
I like the hard cap and revenue sharing where they are at.

I'd like to see a rookie cap similar to the NBA's... I don't remember the exact process for NBA rookies but I've heard it works well.

As for the retirement thing... idk.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:57 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Definitely agree with the rookie cap. It's bad for the game when number 1 picks that haven't played an NFL down are set to make more guaranteed than most others at their position. It's bad for two big reasons: veterans and busts. Veterans are pissed that their experience means nothing, and will ultimately complain that they're not getting treated right. Secondly, busts kill a franchise if they invest all this money into a player and he sucks, and it sets them back another 5 years because they are broke.

Change that rule, and you'll more teams more eager to get to the top of the draft, more trades, and overall better player development.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:11 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Iowafin wrote:
Definitely agree with the rookie cap. It's bad for the game when number 1 picks that haven't played an NFL down are set to make more guaranteed than most others at their position. It's bad for two big reasons: veterans and busts. Veterans are pissed that their experience means nothing, and will ultimately complain that they're not getting treated right. Secondly, busts kill a franchise if they invest all this money into a player and he sucks, and it sets them back another 5 years because they are broke.

Change that rule, and you'll more teams more eager to get to the top of the draft, more trades, and overall better player development.

agree 100%

Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:10 pm

Hatecrewadb wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

agree 100%

Same here... a rookie cap is almost a necessity... if I were the owners I wouldn't even think about signing any contract that doesn't include one.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:28 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I heard something not too long ago about the NFLPA being all for a rookie salary cap, but the hold is that the vets want to ensure that the money saved by the times gets distributed among the veterans and not just pocketed by the owners.

Two-thirds of the earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Vontae Davis.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:27 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I would like to see the cap stay in place as it is right now and I definitely believe there needs to be a rookie wage scale. And yes, I have also read those concerns of the veterans that if the rookie wage scale is put in place, will the owners spend that money on the players.

The one thing that is positive about the cap is that there is a floor, a certain amount of money that a team MUST spend. This is important when you are talking about Paul Brown and the Cincinnati Bengals, as Brown is known as a very cheap owner.

Revenue sharing has allowed teams like Buffalo and Green Bay to stay relevant and competitive for a long time. Owners like the Mara and other big market teams realized that it was best for the league to have revenue sharing. Now you have owners like Jerry Jones and Daniel Synder that don't want to share the revenues that they generate outside of the TV deals. I think when you own a team like the Cowboys and you generate additional revenues, you should be allowed to keep a large majority of those revenues, but I still believe those revenues need to be shared. Likewise, I believe small market teams need to do all they can to increase there revenues as much as possible. Once again I am banging at the Bengals, who have a stadium that was paid for by taxpayers, and Brown named the stadium Paul Brown Stadium. Way to try to make additional revenue and not sell the naming rights.

As far as the retirement for former NFL Players, I think it's a joke that the NFLPA does not do more in regards to the money designated for the retired players. If there one game that a strong retirement plan needs to be in place, it football. Not for the star players of today that SHOULD be able to live a comfortable life after football, but those players that are role players back in the day, for those players that played in an era were the money was nothing like it was today.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:42 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

I don't know what Revenue sharing is, but a rookie scale needs to be put in place, absolutely.

To me, a league minimum is more important than a salary cap, but a cap needs to be put in place as well.

Tony, even if the owners spend money that they are not spending on rookies, on vets', better them than 21 year old's who have not proven anything at the NFL level.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:49 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

PJ, I am in favor of a rookie wage scale as I stated in my post. I also want to see teams committed to putting the best product on the field also.

Me and you, the fans deserve that. I am not saying these teams should not make money, but an owner like Paul Brown, and owner that skimps every chance he gets should be committed to win, especially when tax payers money was used to build his new stadium.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:01 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Phins Rock wrote:
I don't know what Revenue sharing is

it's the Buffalo Bills lifeline

Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:24 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

MTFan wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

ya its that all the teams owners split the money made by their teams so that all teams are able to stay afloat. I think Revenue sharing is the only thing keeping this league competitive from top to bottom. And I also believe that revenue sharing is the biggest reason why there is not a deal in place. Jerry Jones, Daniel Snyder (redskins owner) are two of the big reasons why there is not a deal done.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:28 am

Iceberg85 wrote:
MTFan wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

ya its that all the teams owners split the money made by their teams so that all teams are able to stay afloat. I think Revenue sharing is the only thing keeping this league competitive from top to bottom. And I also believe that revenue sharing is the biggest reason why there is not a deal in place. Jerry Jones, Daniel Snyder (redskins owner) are two of the big reasons why there is not a deal done.

Isn't it only revenues from TV?

Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:00 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I believe so, and that is were the problem lies. Owners like Jones and Snyder want to keep revenues generated from apparel sales and other revenues that they can generate, but smaller market teams cannot.

Like I said earlier, I believe teams like the Cowboys and Redskins should be able to keep a majority of those revenues that they generate and the smaller market teams need to do what they can to gernerate additional revenues, aka Palu Brown and the Bengals could generate additional revenues from naming rights to the stadium, but he decided to name the stadium Paul Brown Stadium.

But I believe that those teams should be willing to share a portion of those revenues as well. That is where the problem lies.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]