View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 2011 draft potential Dolphins to look out for 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post 2011 draft potential Dolphins to look out for
Obviously it is IMPOSSIBLE to predict what positions Miami will go after in the draft. But, with the way things look now, I figure Miami will be taking a look at RB, TE, C, and FS. Maybe OLB...

Here are some guys I really like this year (some obvious and other sleepers) and my .02 on them as I watch them play this season. So far after a couple of nights of college football, here's what I got on a few guys. I'll update as the season goes on.

Thoughts on these players?

RB’s

Mark Ingram, Alabama - The next Emmit Smith. Tremendous burst, patience, quickness, power, above average open field speed, falls forward. Just an awesome tail back.

Ryan Williams, Virginia Tech - Runs hard. Quick, durable/tough, good vision. Needs to fall forward more consistently. Great burst and open field speed. Elusive. DeAngelo Williams v2, maybe without the creativity of DeAngelo.

Daniel Thomas, Kansas State - Not a huge fan of his...doesn't seem to cut real well, not great burst. He's a bruiser, and at the college level is getting good ypc, but even Brandon Jacobs has some burst. Thomas doesn't have anything. Look's like a TE trying to carry the ball...

Evan Royster, Penn State - Overrated. Don't like his burst. Decent power. Productive.

Shane Vereen, Cal – Unbelievable burst, vision, good quickness, open field speed, power, low center of gravity, tough runner. I love everything about this guy. Catches the ball real well out of the backfield. Right now if I had to make a big board, he'd be my number 1 rated RB.

Brandon Saine, OSU – Not great speed, not great power…Not an NFL caliber back physically. Is good out of the backfield. Potential 3rd down RB...But can he play ST's?

Nic Grigsby, RB, Arizona – Decent burst. Quickness. Pat Cobbs clone? Great vision. Smooth runner. Great change of direction in open field.

Ed Wesley, TCU - This guy is my new man-crush for this draft class (if he enters early). Dude runs HARD, tough, great burst, speed, patience, change of direction, power, falls forward...Love this guy. He's a mirror image of Ryan Williams, with maybe more power.

Noel Devine, WVU - Darren Sproles with better vision and more pop.

Kendall Hunter, OK St. - Really good patience, vision, quickness, decent power, breaks arm tackles, good speed and burst. Is he anything more than a 3rd down back though? ---After watching him this season, I'm convinced that he's more than just a 3rd down guy. Reminds me of a certain former OK St. RB from back in the 80s.....

Mikel Leshoure, Illinois - Maybe the most talented back in this draft. He's got everything you're looking for. Maybe not tremendous open field speed, but great burst through the hole, and decent enough speed in the open field. Does he have the maturity and work ethic though? He has some maturity concerns.

Bilal Powell - Nobody is talking about him, but he has real good power, burst and vision. Has good open field speed and elusiveness at the second level. Probably a late round pick. Reminds me a ton of Arian Foster. Keep an eye out for him.

TE’s

Kyle Rudolph, Notre Dame - Good enough blocker. Pretty athletic for his size, but doesn't have great speed or quickness. Natural hands. Makes everything look natural and easy. How high is his roof? Had major injury this past season, and missed time his sophomore year due to an injury as well. Injury prone? Is he just a better version of Fasano?

Charlie Gantt, Michigan St. - Good run blocker. Athletic enough. Not a huge impact TE, but a good #2 option.

Lance Kendricks, Wisconsin - Gets off the line real quick. Natural hands. Good enough blocker. Shows up in big games. Makes the tough catches in traffic. Plays hard. Really like this guy as a late 2nd - early 3rd round pick. Next Dustin Keller.

Stephen Skelton, Fordham - Interesting prospect. Brother of John Skelton, he's very athletic and fast for his size, has natural hands, goes up and gets the ball well, good YAC. Haven't seen him play, so this is just off of youtube and scouting reports I've read.

Center’s/Guards

Mike Pouncey, C/G, Florida - Sound overall player. Has more power than his brother. Good versatility. Really athletic for his size (something Miami NEEDS). Is he physical/dirty enough? Probably more of a guard.

Stefen Wisniewski, C, Penn State - Tony Sparano type of OL. Joe Berger clone. Can he move people though?

Colin Baxter, C/G, Arizona – hands need to be more active. Quick. Above average pass blocker. Very good run blocker…maybe more of a zone style of blocking o-lineman?

Thomas Claiborne, G, Boston College - A classic BC, tough, physical, bad SOB on the O-line. Great downhill run blocker who just mauls you out of the way. Needs to improve pass block foot work. Not overly athletic. Reminds me of a BC alum - Damien Woody.

Marcus Cannon, G, TCU - HUGE. Just moves you OUT OF THE WAY in the run game. Moves his feet well for his size. May struggle against 43 D-lines in the NFL unless he drops some weight to add quickness and athleticism.

Ben Ijalana, OG, Villanova - Could be the steal of the draft. Scouting report says great power, long arms and big hands. *Have not seen him play though.*

FS’s

Deunta Williams, FS, North Carolina – Hasn't played all year. Could be a steal later in the draft.

DeAndre McDaniel, S, Clemson –

Rashard Hall, FS, Clemson –

Rahim Moore, FS, UCLA

Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:56 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: 2011 draft potential Dolphins to look out for
Phins Rock wrote:
Brandon Saine, OSU – Not great speed, not great power…Not an NFL caliber back physically.

I could not disagree more.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:02 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Brandon Saine, OSU – Not great speed, not great power…Not an NFL caliber back physically.

I'm adding to the list that he is unable to create his own plays. If there is no blocking, there's no yardage. Doesn't have very good vision. Even on screen passes, he waits for his blocking, wait waits instead of just trying to make a play. Make a darn cut back every once in a while...I just don't see the hype in the guy.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:52 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

I'm adding to the list that he is unable to create his own plays. If there is no blocking, there's no yardage. Doesn't have very good vision. Even on screen passes, he waits for his blocking, wait waits instead of just trying to make a play. Make a darn cut back every once in a while...I just don't see the hype in the guy.

Have you watched today's game? Or ever.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:21 pm

I am watching today's game. That's my observation for today. I missed the first half because of the Boston College game, but in this second half I have not been impressed, just like I wasn't last week against Marshall, or last season.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
I am watching today's game. That's my observation for today. I missed the first half because of the Boston College game, but in this second half I have not been impressed, just like I wasn't last week against Marshall, or last season.

So you missed his body bending touchdown catch...

Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:40 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

So you missed his body bending touchdown catch...

Guess so.

But what does that have to do with his running ability?

To be honest, I've seen enough. To me, he's a 3rd down back at best, and a product of Ohio St.'s system.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:57 pm

Saine isn't even running the ball for Ohio St. anymore....

Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]