View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
 The Progress of TE Michael Egnew 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post The Progress of TE Michael Egnew
Here's a nice write up from Paul Picken over at Phinphanatic.

:stiffarm:

Phinphanatic wrote:
This past weekend, I had the opportunity to ask Coach Philbin about the progress of Egnew, amidst the beating he took from the media and fans in his rookie year. As soon as I indicated the beating he’d taken Philbin immediately responded with “Not by me!” and with a chuckle. Philbin indicated that Egnew has been a very hard worker since the last time many of us saw or heard from him, and that we’re seeing the results on the field. Jeff Ireland indicated that he was pleased with the progress of players like Egnew. Quite frankly, we should all be pleased to see that he is progressing as well, especially given the issues that Miami has had with protection this season. It was pointed out by the Dolphins brass that Dennis Pitta of the Ravens barely saw the field in his rookie campaign as well, and that tight end is a position that seems to take the longest to develop for most players from college to the pro’s.

This past weekend, Egnew saw a handful of plays out of the backfield as a lead blocker as well. Being on the sidelines for the game in Miami, I saw something that as I walked by made me stop and pause for a moment. There was Egnew, standing with the coaches after an early series. Gone was the look of confusion we all became familiar with, as well as the slumped stance of a player who “gives up” that we became accustomed to watching Hard Knocks. Egnew was talking and standing with confidence, listening to the coach, letting them know what he saw, and GETTING what they were saying. Egnew had the look of a player ready to go back out on the field and put it to use.

http://phinphanatic.com/2013/10/22/prog ... ael-egnew/

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:34 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: The Progress of TE Michael Egnew
Egnew has been fairly non existent to the fans and what in the world is the deal with Dion Sims??? Early on he was getting balls thrown his way, have we even heard his name the past few games?? Sims IMO was showing so much promise and is a big target like Denver's tight end Julius Thomas who once given a chance has come out of no where to put up great stats. Of course he has Peyton Manning, but I am surprised Sims isn't being used more on mismatches on the field.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:09 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Neither Egnew nor Sims blocks particularly well.

From what I saw Egnew did a nice job as a fullback. That is a position where he could also be a receiving threat who quickly gets into space. If you watch those Missouri highlights his best work is short throws where he is given room to run.

Tannehill should be looking to his back in check down option more often. They sure as heck can't block for him.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:15 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

cut him!

Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:45 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

jammer wrote:

Beg to differ. Egnew has been one of the more effective blockers for the Dolphins... when he actually gets snaps.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:57 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

TE Dion Sims saw his most snaps since Week 2 (24), but he was blocking on 19 of them.

Salguero: Dolphins coaches don't seem to have a very high regard for Sims as a pass catcher. They think his value is blocking. Obviously, I haven't seen him in a practice since training camp but he was developing at that time as a pass catcher. It's unknown whether that development in the passing game slowed or coaches are simply misjudging Sims. ...

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:05 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:

Beg to differ. Egnew has been one of the more effective blockers for the Dolphins... when he actually gets snaps.

I haven't noticed, which I guess is a good thing. I've seen Sims completely botch some blocks.

If Egnew is growing as a player why not get him in at TE and shift Clay to FB? Clay can still run routes and do damage in space.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:34 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Miami's WRs and TEs are getting open. RT needs to go back to spreading the ball around. On that last Buffalo Drive he went back to the well one too many times. If he doesn't get rid of those tendencies, NE's defense will eat him alive.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:44 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

jammer wrote:
Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:

I haven't noticed, which I guess is a good thing. I've seen Sims completely botch some blocks.

If Egnew is growing as a player why not get him in at TE and shift Clay to FB? Clay can still run routes and do damage in space.

but didn't you just say? :embarrassed:

Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:41 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Kev1321 wrote:

Yup, and if he was a consistently efficient blocker he'd be out there on more snaps.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:53 pm

jammer wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

Yup, and if he was a consistently efficient blocker he'd be out there on more snaps.

Not necessarily.

The Dolphins go three wide a lot as they like what Brandon Gibson brings in the slot.

The problem is that when you go three wide, you typically get away from the max protect formations.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:42 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Not necessarily.

The Dolphins go three wide a lot as they like what Brandon Gibson brings in the slot.

The problem is that when you go three wide, you typically get away from the max protect formations.

When one of these TE's stay in to block, I wouldn't call it "max protect". LOL

While EgPeeYu might be better at blocking than last year (it's not like he could get worse), we're still not seeing the benefits of it ..... as witnessed by the struggles of our tackles.

If I were the coaching staff, I would get rid of the entire group sans Clay and start over. They also need to hire a new TE coach.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:49 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:

Actually, when you add all the tight ends that have played in the NFL, Egnew is the 9th best run blocker in the NFL and is the 54th best pass blocker in the NFL. Clay and Sims are light years behind him. Sims has been a real disappointment as a blocker (64th best run blocker, 99th best pass blocker).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/data/b ... numgames=1

Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
If I were the coaching staff, I would get rid of the entire group sans Clay and start over. They also need to hire a new TE coach

Ya, Why would you want to develope young talent anyway....And the coach has done nothing but develop that bum Clay who should have been cut this preseason~

:haha

Quote:
While EgPeeYu might be better at blocking than last year (it's not like he could get worse),

Quote:
Actually, when you add all the tight ends that have played in the NFL, Egnew is the 9th best run blocker in the NFL and is the 54th best pass blocker in the NFL.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:42 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finhead34 wrote:
Julius Thomas who once given a chance has come out of no where to put up great stats..

Took a couple of yrs to develop him. He played only 1 yr of college ball.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:52 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:

You can go 3 wide and still have a tight end on the line to block. Doesn't seem like they can do that consistently.

I'm not saying Egnew can't block or is atrocious, but I wouldn't say he adds a ton of value as a blocking TE hence his limited snaps even though they really need that.

I could be wrong. But nothing he's done has stood out and just because he hasn't been blown up on the line doesn't equate to a solid blocker. I just haven't really noticed him make a block where you say "wow".

Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:55 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Big Dave wrote:
jammer wrote:

Actually, when you add all the tight ends that have played in the NFL, Egnew is the 9th best run blocker in the NFL and is the 54th best pass blocker in the NFL. Clay and Sims are light years behind him. Sims has been a real disappointment as a blocker (64th best run blocker, 99th best pass blocker).

I can't see the stats as I don't have an account. How many snaps does Egnew have versus TE's who are out there all the time blocking? Is it an apples to apples comparison?

Again, if he's that efficient why isn't he out there more often? Especially if he's better than Clay and can be both FB and TE. Hopefully I'm wrong and he turns out to be an awesome weapon both blocking and catching.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:59 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
I can't see the stats as I don't have an account. How many snaps does Egnew have versus TE's who are out there all the time blocking? Is it an apples to apples comparison?

Again, if he's that efficient why isn't he out there more often? Especially if he's better than Clay and can be both FB and TE. Hopefully I'm wrong and he turns out to be an awesome weapon both blocking and catching.

Shhhhhhh .... the 9th ranking sounds so much better on its face.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:18 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
I could be wrong. But nothing he's done has stood out and just because he hasn't been blown up on the line doesn't equate to a solid blocker. I just haven't really noticed him make a block where you say "wow".

He sealed the end on a td run by Miller...Left side

Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:19 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Kev1321 wrote:
[
Ya, Why would you want to develope young talent anyway....And the coach has done nothing but develop that bum Clay who should have been cut this preseason~

By your logic, then I guess every TE we have on the roster will at some point be challenging the single-season receiving record for a Dolphins TE.

The talent was always there with Clay. We're just using him differently than Sparano did. That's not so much development, moreseo putting a guy in the right position to hone his skill.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:22 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Kev1321 wrote:
Quote:

He sealed the end on a td run by Miller...Left side

Colts game?

Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:24 pm

jammer wrote:
You can go 3 wide and still have a tight end on the line to block. Doesn't seem like they can do that consistently.

I'm not saying Egnew can't block or is atrocious, but I wouldn't say he adds a ton of value as a blocking TE hence his limited snaps even though they really need that.

There's this guy on the team. Charles Clay. Ya might have heard of him... he sort of gets the majority of the snaps in those 3 wide formations....

Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:42 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rock Sexton wrote:
jammer wrote:

Shhhhhhh .... the 9th ranking sounds so much better on its face.

Whoa ... are you asking me to get into Mike Sherman's mind? Because that's a very dangerous place.

:haha

Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:08 am
Profile WWW

jammer wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
jammer wrote:

Does the coaching staff not using him more say anything about how he is performing given their tendency to go away from what is working?

Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:12 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
Does the coaching staff not using him more say anything about how he is performing given their tendency to go away from what is working?

Possibly.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:16 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
There's this guy on the team. Charles Clay. Ya might have heard of him... he sort of gets the majority of the snaps in those 3 wide formations....

Hmm, what's his jersey number? I'll look for him.

Clay's blocking is okay. If Egnew is better than why not have him providing more protection on the line and leaving the 3 receivers to simply run routes? Wouldn't that make more sense then sending 3 WR's and Clay, leaving Tannehill to get crushed because his tackles and backs can't hold up?

Maybe your point about the stubbornness of the coach is behind all of this.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]