View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Ryan Henne 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Ryan Henne
Rock Sexton wrote:
We still have 10 games left this year, so there's some time ..... but things don't smell so nice right now.

Unless he completely melts I think you're going to see more than the next 10 games to figure out his long term viability as Miami's QB.

He's going to have some games where we think he is the answer and probably some more clunkers as well.

We should be hoping today was rock bottom (despite his 1st 3 TD game). This should be a WTF moment for him. Getting blown out by NO and losing a close one to Baltimore are understandable...but not closing out the Bills is a problem.

But he did enough in the 2nd and 3rd Qtrs today for me to think this kid really has a shot to be good. Its there, just a matter of making it consistent.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:24 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

i'm fairly certain this coaching staff will be gone before they even think about ditching Tannehill.

I took alot of heat on this site for saying that we need to draft a tackle in round 1 of this past draft but I've been proven right by this 2013 version of the Dolphins.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:27 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
But he did enough in the 2nd and 3rd Qtrs today for me to think this kid really has a shot to be good. Its there, just a matter of making it consistent.

It's that same "potential" paradigm we continue to get sucked into man. More time. A better O-line. I feel like this is ALWAYS the conversation.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:27 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

It's that same "potential" paradigm we continue to get sucked into man. More time. A better O-line. I feel like this is ALWAYS the conversation.

Yep, I'm getting to the point with QBs is that you either have "it" or you don't. Either way, I said it 2 yrs ago, and I'll say it again, we should draft a QB high every year, you never know. Our 2nd and 3rd rd picks this year are doing nothing.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:32 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

swerve13 wrote:
i'm fairly certain this coaching staff will be gone before they even think about ditching Tannehill.

I took alot of heat on this site for saying that we need to draft a tackle in round 1 of this past draft but I've been proven right by this 2013 version of the Dolphins.

Not really. None of the tackles that went in the first are doing anything at all. I liked the Jordan pick.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:33 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Makchell wrote:

Yep, I'm getting to the point with QBs is that you either have "it" or you don't. Either way, I said it 2 yrs ago, and I'll say it again, we should draft a QB high every year, you never know. Our 2nd and 3rd rd picks this year are doing nothing.

Can't draft a QB high every year, just wasting picks. Who would you have drafted this year?? Manuel??

Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:36 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
jammer wrote:

I don't think this is "that" conversation. This isn't a question of can he deliver a 4th quarter win or will every game be a pick-a-thon without TD answers. We're beyond that.

He's competent enough that he could be an Alex Smith on a truly dominant team aka the guy you can live with for a few years. We need to find out if he can take a dominant team and drive them over the top ala Joe Flacco. I'm not kidding myself into thinking he is going to be an elite guy, but I think he has enough lead a winning team and get hot.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:45 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:

I don't think this is "that" conversation. This isn't a question of can he deliver a 4th quarter win or will every game be a pick-a-thon without TD answers. We're beyond that.
Atlanta Game?

Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:47 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Can't draft a QB high every year, just wasting picks. Who would you have drafted this year?? Manuel??

last year Cousins was there and I was high on the kid. Wasting picks? That's all we do...lol. Three things happen drafting a QB high every year rds 1-3. 1. We find a franchise guy. 2. We find a serviceable Qb and trade him. 3. He turns out to be a back up for a couple of years and/or get's cut. Like I've said before, we waste high picks anyway.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:50 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:

I'm good with that..Worked for SF

Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:51 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:

:haha :)

Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:52 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Tannehill did stink today. The pick 6 and that stupid flutter ball to the end zone were simply bad plays. However, the Bills are not a good team and the coaching staff made sure to spot them some points with their awful play calling and crappy personnel choices. No need to put the game on Tannehill in that drive that resulted in the strip sack. Horrible choice. Thomas should not be getting so many carries either.

I think you solved the problem. Thomas ran 12 times for 60 yards.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:57 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dphins4me wrote:
jammer wrote:

Atlanta Game?

That was my point. Clutch in Atlanta, smart in Indy, and even today threw 3 TD passes to bring his team back. That wasn't Henne so I find the comparison unfair.

But do we have a guy who is going to tease with a few winning seasons and first round exits? Or is he someone who gives us hope that Miami can go all the way?

Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:04 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

That was my point. Clutch in Atlanta, smart in Indy, and even today threw 3 TD passes to bring his team back. That wasn't Henne so I find the comparison unfair.

No way, we already knew what we had in Henne.

But do we have a guy who is going to tease with a few winning seasons and first round exits? Or is he someone who gives us hope that Miami can go all the way?

This is the burning question that I want answered sooner than later. He is still very raw though, but then again, explaining means losing. lol

Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:

Until there is better coaching/talent around him we will never know.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:

I don't look at the Atlanta game with the same fondness you do. That squad was a walking M.A.S.H. unit. The game was also in Miami, not Atlanta.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:18 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:
This is the burning question that I want answered sooner than later. He is still very raw though, but then again, explaining means losing. lol

There is no explaining, everyone knows Tannehill shares a large portion of the responsibility for losing today. But he had some positives against a tough defense so I can't hang it all on him.

O Kelly compared him to Jake Plummer and I think that is valid. Plummer couldn't lift a mediocre team but he led a very good Denver team to the playoffs consistently. Pretty soon they knew he could only get them so far.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:25 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
jammer wrote:

I don't look at the Atlanta game with the same fondness you do. That squad was a walking M.A.S.H. unit. The game was also in Miami, not Atlanta.

Not sure I've said it is some signature game that defines him as the answer. It was a clutch performance in a pressure situation. If we are adding up all the good and bad it counts.

You can't deny Tannehill makes some great throws and inspires some confidence. But you can't simply chalk up every mistake to inexperience or the fault of another teammate. Which are we going to see more of? That is the important question.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:31 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

The hail mary was his best deep ball.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:40 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
The hail mary was his best deep ball.

Uhhhh .... wut?

Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:46 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

swerve13 wrote:

And proven wrong by how bad all of the rookie tackles have been, especially in pass protection...

Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:08 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

And proven wrong by how bad all of the rookie tackles have been, especially in pass protection...

well they are rookies playing a tough position to transition to. But it was said that Lane Johnson has improved dramatically after a rough first month. It still would have been the better move.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:37 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

well they are rookies playing a tough position to transition to. But it was said that Lane Johnson has improved dramatically after a rough first month. It still would have been the better move.

:)

Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:15 am

swerve13 wrote:

Typically offensive line is a position where elite talent transitions quickly to the NFL.

As for Johnson improving drastically, you're making stuff up here. He's got a -9.3 pass block grade for the season and in his most recent game against Tampa Bay he gave up 5 pressures. He's ranked 59th overall and 66th in pass blocking.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:37 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

swerve13 wrote:

I'm with you on that. Philben and Sherman are tied at the hip as Sherman was Philben's mentor. Philben feels he owes Sherman a lot for the early days.

swerve13 wrote:

You'll have to dig those posts up. I think every one of us wanted an OT in the first round, but it just didn't happen. The Dolphins only were interested in were Fisher and Joekel in the first round. They weren't too high on Lane Johnson and he was picked 4th.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:52 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Makchell wrote:
Yep, I'm getting to the point with QBs is that you either have "it" or you don't.

So, where would that put great quarterbacks such as Aaron Rodgers, Steve Young, and Brett Favre (among others that didn't look so well in their first couple of years)?

Makchell wrote:
Either way, I said it 2 yrs ago, and I'll say it again, we should draft a QB high every year, you never know. Our 2nd and 3rd rd picks this year are doing nothing.

That was actually Miami's plan back in the early days. They were going to draft another quarterback if Griese didn't pan out. Fortunately he did.

After all the quarterbacks that we've had since Dan Marino, I can't believe you are comparing Tannehill to those quarterbacks.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:59 am
Profile WWW

Luke Joeckel ranked 56th overall. Lane Johnson ranked 59th overall. Eric Fisher ranked 70th overall. Meanwhile DJ Fluker, who I believe swerve was not high on, is ranked 28th overall.

Jonathan Martin ranked 46th overall. Tyson Clabo ranked 63rd overall.

Here are the stats.

Joeckel - 3 sacks, 12 pressures
Fisher - 3 sacks, 18 pressures
Johnson - 4 sacks, 22 pressures
Fluker - 2 sacks, 13 pressures

Martin - 6 sacks, 10 pressures
Clabo - 8 sacks, 17 pressures

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:00 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

So, where would that put great quarterbacks such as Aaron Rodgers, Steve Young, and Brett Favre (among others that didn't look so well in their first couple of years)?

Different times Dave. QBs are coming out in with pro style backgrounds. Rodgers was drafted a decade ago and he was the last one to "Sit" and learn. Dalton, Locker, and Ponder are on the hot seat already and they are young too.

After all the quarterbacks that we've had since Dan Marino, I can't believe you are comparing Tannehill to those quarterbacks.

Those first two picks were very Henne like, but I'll admit I was wrong to compare him to Henne as he made plays down the stretch and didn't fold up. He is the best QB with "potential" since Marino, but there's that word again, potential. Yes, I would still draft a Qb every year.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:06 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Luke Joeckel ranked 56th overall. Lane Johnson ranked 59th overall. Eric Fisher ranked 70th overall. Meanwhile DJ Fluker, who I believe swerve was not high on, is ranked 28th overall.

Jonathan Martin ranked 46th overall. Tyson Clabo ranked 63rd overall.

Here are the stats.

Joeckel - 3 sacks, 12 pressures
Fisher - 3 sacks, 18 pressures
Johnson - 4 sacks, 22 pressures
Fluker - 2 sacks, 13 pressures

Martin - 6 sacks, 10 pressures
Clabo - 8 sacks, 17 pressures

So basically we would be whining about a 1st rd bust right now and how we should have traded up to draft Jordan since he's on a team with coaches that have him on the path for the defensive rookie of the year.....lol

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:08 am

Makchell wrote:
Yep, I'm getting to the point with QBs is that you either have "it" or you don't.

With any player, you either have it or you don't. It's called talent. But there is a development window.

I'm assuming that what you are referring to is that we should be able to tell quickly if a QB has it or doesn't.

Should I spout off the long list of QBs that took years to develop? A list that includes two of the top 5 QBs in the league today?

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:17 am

Makchell wrote:
QBs are coming out in with pro style backgrounds.

Like RGIII and Russell Wilson?

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:18 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Clabo was a decent OT when we signed him, he just stinks now that he is here..

Poor coaching is obvious at this point, I never liked the "his guys" mentality. Good coaches coache players, and utilize the talent they have rather than clensing a roster due to ego or personal crap.

This regime has made plenty of bad personnel moves, they could have been ignored if the team they put on the field was better, but it is not.

Trading up for a DE when they knew this o-line was in bad shape was a bad move. And that doenst mean we should have traded up for someone else.. Spin any other scenario, stay put and take Kyle Long, trade down and pick up a couple guys for depth and comp...

Right now we have some super duper future of the franchise that plays about 1/4 of the game if that. And for no apparant reason other than the coaches are idiots...

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:36 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Like RGIII and Russell Wilson?

You know as well as I do that their are exceptions. RG3 has been struggling until he started running again yesterday. How many running QB's won the SB? Young? Maybe we can consider Elway as a "running" QB? I don't know bro. Like I've said, I like RT, but the fact remains he has to turnovers or he will be replaced. Right?

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:43 am

Makchell wrote:
You know as well as I do that their are exceptions.

The exceptions are guys that come into the league at QB and tear it up right away.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:47 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I'm assuming that what you are referring to is that we should be able to tell quickly if a QB has it or doesn't.

Yes, we should know and I say RT has more positives than negatives. He needs to keep developing. GMs don't think you do. They are impatient and there is no time for "development". Ponder is done already and Locker is feeling the heat. How should GMs wait? Gms give up on these guys and they rarely go to another team and succeed. Flynn, Kolb, Palmer, Cassel to name a few. I get what you are saying, but it's not like it use to be. Freeman was a probowl QB and the Bucs gave up on him do to inconsistant play. Media blames shiano, but we will see how he fares in Minn. I'm by no means ready to give on RT, he has half of it as of right not. He can go either way.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:50 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

The exceptions are guys that come into the league at QB and tear it up right away.

Luck, RG3, Wilson. You are using them for your counter debate and your debate...lol

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:52 am

Makchell wrote:

Luck, RG3, Wilson. You are using them for your counter debate and your debate...lol

Except that Andrew Luck didn't really tear it up right away. He had 18 picks and 9 fumbles as a rookie along with a 54% completion.

We're seeing him take that next step.

RGIII tore it up because he benefitted from a new system. Now that he has had to be a true pocket passer, he's not tearing it up so much. He is having to take a year now to develop into more of a pocket passer because eventually he will have to become one to be successful.

Russell Wilson is the exception to every rule. He's 5'10, a third round pick etc.

Should we start taking short quarterbacks in the third round now? Is that the way to build a franchise just because one guy did it?

Let's throw in Cam Newton. It's year 3 and we're ginally seeing signs of life.

Colin Kaepernick... SAT! Oh man, I thought that didn't happen anymore. He had a nice run last season but now that its a fulltime job and teams have film on him, he isn't tearing it up as much.

Sorry bro... the only exception to the rule has been Russell Wilson.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:59 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Manziel 2014 :fart:

Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:28 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Kap sat for 1 yr...wow. Anyway, you're right Rich, but again, the bottomline is that if RT doesn't stop turning the ball over he will not be with the team. New GM, coach ususally = new QB. If we do clean house, that usually means that the QB has failed the franchise, welcome to the NFL.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:35 am

Makchell wrote:
Kap sat for 1 yr...wow.

Well, you're the one that said times have changed and that QBs don't sit anymore and they hit the ground running.

Sorry if I continue to find evidence to the contrary regarding these shoot from the hip comments you continue making.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next