View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Dolphins and Jets tied for 2nd place at 3-2 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post 3-2 Jets
So Atlanta wasn't such a big win afterall. 1-4 Falcons. Either that or the AFC East is the new Beast. Mike Smith's decision not to kick the FG at the half lost the game.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:44 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Re: 3-2 Jets
NFLJunkie wrote:
So Atlanta wasn't such a big win afterall. 1-4 Falcons. Either that or the AFC East is the new Beast. Mike Smith's decision not to kick the FG at the half lost the game.

That decision bit him in the butt big time. I think the AFC East is a lot better than people thought it would be. Plus, while the win against Atlanta might be downgraded a little bit, Cleveland is 3-2 and Indy is 4-1, with a win at home against Seattle.

New England 4-1
Miami 3-2
NY Jets 3-2
Buffalo 2-3

If E.J Manual does not get hurt, the Bills might have got out of Cleveland with a win.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:04 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Dolphins and Jets tied for 2nd place at 3-2
Who would have thought the Jets would be 3-2 at this point, and 1 game behind the Patriots for first place.

Quote:
Geno Smith completed 16-of-20 passes for 199 yards and three touchdowns in Monday night's Week 5, 30-28 last-second win over the Falcons.

Smith added 21 yards on three rushes and most importantly didn't turn the ball over a single time. If he can limit turnovers like he did tonight, the Jets will be in every game they play in with their dominant defensive line. Geno showed tremendous poise and composure all night, especially on the final drive to get the Jets in position to kick a game-winning 43-yard field goal as time expired. Smith's three scores went to Jeff Cumberland, Jeremy Kerley, and Kellen Winslow. The throw to Cumberland was a perfect pass down the seam. Smith hasn't all of the sudden found his way. There will undoubtedly be plenty more bumpy rides, but he played a near-flawless Week 5. Smith finished with a 147.7 quarterback rating. The Jets host Pittsburgh next week.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:31 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Dolphins and Jets tied for 2nd place at 3-2
I remember a certain Chad Henne having a MNF intro to the world and a lot of us thinking he was the answer.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:05 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Atlanta is struggling, how can a team with that much talent be 1-4 is beyond me..

Watching the game made me realize how much our coaches are choking our offense. So simple and vanilla, no movement, just line up and run a play, line up run a play.. Every now and then a guy will go in motion, but thats about it..

Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:17 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'm not that worried about the Jets. Smith will make plenty of rookie mistakes and better defenses will pounce on that.

Atlanta is injured and has lost confidence. Miami may have been the starting point for that. I still like the win, especially the last minute drive.

The AFC East is open for business. I'm won't argue a contender is coming out of the division, but each team has a chance.

Miami has a chance to take the division if they figure out that right side of the line. A decent ground game and healthy defense has this team right back in it. I believe Tannehill can win games. Give him time, like you saw Ryan and Smith get, and he can throw some very nice passes.

New England doesn't really have a signature victory yet. They've struggled mightily against teams they should be putting away. They'll be in it all the way but they now have tough games ahead.

The Jets are competitive but they still have to play Miami twice, NE, NO, at Cincy, at Baltimore and hosting an Oakland team that can surprise.

The Bills have to cross their fingers they don't fall too far behind. I was more worried about them than the Jets.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:20 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The Jets are a team that when their defense is on, look out as that front line of theirs is tough and Rex Ryan's defense dials up pressure constantly. All of a sudden the AFC East is a lot more tougher and no longer the way Miami has played the past couple of games can we just expect to sweep both those teams in the east. In fact, as with most division games, it will probably be a dog fight each time.

I would say IF we can sure up our offensive line, Miami can absolutely beat these teams, but unfortunately both the Jets AND Buffalo pressure attack the QB and if we keep limping along, it could be ugly losing to these guys and because of lack of protection.

Cannot dwell on the past, but I keep going back to trading for Brandon Albert and moving Martin to the right, had we added someone like a veteran Eric Winston as another right side plug, perhaps our protection would be a lot different.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:22 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Right now the win versus Indy was the best but I'd like to see Miami's signature victory be in New England on Oct 27th. Go up there and beat them in their house. If that happens I will start thinking Miami has a shot to take the division.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:23 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Right now the way Miami has been playing and after watching both the Jets and Buffalo, I would say these are three fairly evenly matched teams that all still have their shortfalls.

These games will be dog fights when we play them, rookie QB's or not as both the Jets and Buffalo's pressure attack style on defense will be a mismatch to our very poor offensive line.

Sure hope some changes are made or else we may not be happy campers in a few more games.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:25 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Finhead34 wrote:
The Jets are a team that when their defense is on, look out as that front line of theirs is tough and Rex Ryan's defense dials up pressure constantly. All of a sudden the AFC East is a lot more tougher and no longer the way Miami has played the past couple of games can we just expect to sweep both those teams in the east. In fact, as with most division games, it will probably be a dog fight each time.

I would say IF we can sure up our offensive line, Miami can absolutely beat these teams, but unfortunately both the Jets AND Buffalo pressure attack the QB and if we keep limping along, it could be ugly losing to these guys and because of lack of protection.

Cannot dwell on the past, but I keep going back to trading for Brandon Albert and moving Martin to the right, had we added someone like a veteran Eric Winston as another right side plug, perhaps our protection would be a lot different.

Flip side to those games is Miami will be able to pressure young QBs into mistakes. Dogfights yes, but Smith picked on a weak Atlanta defense.

You can view the Albert trade as negative or look at it as Miami would not have Dion Jordan who will be paying long term dividends. I think the mistake Miami made was not overpaying Vollmer. Vollmer at RT and Garner at RG = this offense moving the ball much better. But hindsight is 20/20.

The short term veteran deals are always a big gamble. Grimes is working out wonderfully, Clabo is a dud. Can't win them all.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:27 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Jets OC is throwing all kinds of things out there, mixing it up well and keeping the defenses guessing. Between that, and Ryan's defense they are doing more with less.

Made me mad watching it honestly.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:28 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

jammer wrote:
You can view the Albert trade as negative or look at it as Miami would not have Dion Jordan who will be paying long term dividends.

And until then, suffer watching what might be the answer at QB get mauled by every defense he sees..
Whats done is done.. The coaches need to figure out how to adress the protection issues, this all falls on them.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:44 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

The Jets have a pretty good offensive line anchored by Nick Mangold and D'Brickshaw Ferguson. And they've gone back to the pound the rock mentality. That's helping Geno Smith.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:02 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

or look at it as Miami would not have Dion Jordan

I am not arguing with you as really the Brandon Albert deal is a moot point anyway, but "had" Ireland given up a next years number two pick, just in MY opinion it would have been worth it hence my point is missing out on Jordan would not have been in the equation and really that pick never was when the rumors of trade values were being talked anyway as it was always a number 2 or 3 pick to KC.

Rich, I 100% agree with you, the Jets are playing smart ball control offense with a rookie QB and that is really allowing Geno Smith IMO gain more and more confidence while our seemingly better talented QB gets mauled with no protection AND zero running game.

I hate the Jets but applaud Rex Ryan's approach.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:19 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

10acjed wrote:
jammer wrote:
You can view the Albert trade as negative or look at it as Miami would not have Dion Jordan who will be paying long term dividends.

And until then, suffer watching what might be the answer at QB get mauled by every defense he sees..
Whats done is done.. The coaches need to figure out how to adress the protection issues, this all falls on them.

It was pointed out by Salguero that a major reason the Albert trade did not happen was because Miami wasn't given permission to conduct a physical.

I think there is more to this than just Miami didn't feel like paying the price. They offered Long a comparable contract to what he received from St Louis. Its not like they weren't trying. Takes two to make the deal happen.

Its the right side of the line that is killing the team. You fix it, get a serviceable running game and suddenly there is balance in the offense.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:34 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Its the right side of the line that is killing the team. You fix it, get a serviceable running game and suddenly there is balance in the offense.

You hit it right Jammer. Now, what will Miami do knowing that this is a blatantly obvious problem?

Makes you wonder if Garner & Yeatman can get plugged in. I know Yeatman is still considered green, but at some point ONE of these guys waiting in the wings you hope if given the chance can manage to do a better job and most importantly improve the protection.

I think Ireland has done an admirable job upgrading in areas, but I said this all off season that it wasn't a good feeling that they didn't do a better job signing a couple of other free agents.

Of course, I was excited actually when we signed Clabo because the guy had a nice track record and OF COURSE he comes to Miami and has been horrible. We need a break and for someone to step up or else we could end up a 6-10 team.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:44 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
Atlanta is struggling, how can a team with that much talent be 1-4 is beyond me..

Watching the game made me realize how much our coaches are choking our offense. So simple and vanilla, no movement, just line up and run a play, line up run a play.. Every now and then a guy will go in motion, but thats about it..

Injuries ..... especially on defense.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:01 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

jammer wrote:

It was pointed out by Salguero that a major reason the Albert trade did not happen was because Miami wasn't given permission to conduct a physical.

I think there is more to this than just Miami didn't feel like paying the price. They offered Long a comparable contract to what he received from St Louis. Its not like they weren't trying. Takes two to make the deal happen.

I remember, it was no secret we needed help on the o-line. Jake was injured, and missed a few games because it was affecting his performance. Martin filled in and was even worse than an injured guy.
They could not keep Long, price vs risk was not worth it. They hit the streets, filled one spot with Clabo, tried a few FA's, nothing came through so they just gave up, drafted a guy in round 3 to compete at G and here we are with offensive line woahs...

We could have used those 2 picks to address this, but Jordan is too specail and means to much to the future of this team, so we have to suffer now watching as RT gets hit over and over again..

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:16 am

10acjed wrote:

they've got some key injuries. There isn't a lot separating the best from the worst in this league. Denver is a Peyton Manning injury from being 8-8.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:17 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rock Sexton wrote:

Injuries ..... especially on defense.

NFLJunkie wrote:

they've got some key injuries. There isn't a lot separating the best from the worst in this league. Denver is a Peyton Manning injury from being 8-8.

Yeah and so were the Colts for over a decade lol...

I had not been following much on them. I know they looked lost on defense last night, but the Jets OC was being creative too so it was probably not much they planned for..

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:28 am

Atlanta couldn't run the ball but threw the ball well. They scored 27 points and took the lead with 2 min left. The issue was Atlanta's Defense. It couldn't stop a well intentioned pop warner club. They couldn't sniff pressure without blitzing and their DC refused to blitz once on that last drive. He let Gino sit in the pocket and pick them apart. No balls, no glory.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:39 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

10acjed wrote:
so we have to suffer now watching as RT gets hit over and over again..

Lets hope this isn't the case.

There were other options which I think were more viable (Vollmer, Winston). How bad they wanted to play for Miami is something I cannot answer.

Jerry is a better tackle than a guard according to the stats. If I'm Miami I put Garner at RG and slide Jerry over. It doesn't sound like either Yeatman or Thomas are ready for prime time...which makes you wonder why they hung on to Yeatman.

O Kelly keeps saying sub Garner for Jerry and the pass blocking improves, sub Garber for Clabo the run game improves. I think it is far more important to get the ground game going at this point. That will open up so much for the offense.

Take these two weeks to see how Garner works at RG and if Jerry can at least run block at RT.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:46 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I think another key is really focusing on Dion Sims to improve his blocking so he's on the field more to help. It allows Clay to work as an H Back and give Tannehill better protection in 3 WR sets.

Hopefully by the Bills game Sims can handle far more snaps as a blocker.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:48 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Atlanta couldn't run the ball but threw the ball well. They scored 27 points and took the lead with 2 min left. The issue was Atlanta's Defense. It couldn't stop a well intentioned pop warner club. They couldn't sniff pressure without blitzing and their DC refused to blitz once on that last drive. He let Gino sit in the pocket and pick them apart. No balls, no glory.

Geno Smith under pressure will throw interceptions. We've seen it in the preseason and regular season.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:49 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
I had not been following much on them. I know they looked lost on defense last night, but the Jets OC was being creative too so it was probably not much they planned for..

They looked lost because they're plugging spare parts in everywhere on the D, especially at linebacker.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:09 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Crazy to me that last night Geno Smith had a 3 TD game ...... Tannehill in almost 20 starts, has not.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:22 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

10acjed wrote:

and now Julio is out for the year. My brilliant 1st place fantasy season goes up in flames like that.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:59 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rock Sexton wrote:
Crazy to me that last night Geno Smith had a 3 TD game ...... Tannehill in almost 20 starts, has not.

Yeah strange what happens when the OC gets creative..

Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:34 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:

I was hoping no one would bring that up. Kind of a troubling stat.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:19 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

We just need to run the ball more who cares if it only gets a yard or no gain its better than 6 sacks which is happening because they keep abandoning the run. Saints was understandable with the deficit but ravens were close

Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:19 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Tannehill in almost 20 starts, has not.

It's a huge concern whether it's RT or coaching.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:27 pm

jammer wrote:
10acjed wrote:

There were other options which I think were more viable (Vollmer, Winston). How bad they wanted to play for Miami is something I cannot answer.

Jerry is a better tackle than a guard according to the stats. If I'm Miami I put Garner at RG and slide Jerry over. It doesn't sound like either Yeatman or Thomas are ready for prime time...which makes you wonder why they hung on to Yeatman.

O Kelly keeps saying sub Garner for Jerry and the pass blocking improves, sub Garber for Clabo the run game improves. I think it is far more important to get the ground game going at this point. That will open up so much for the offense.

Take these two weeks to see how Garner works at RG and if Jerry can at least run block at RT.

like this idea

Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:46 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

jammer wrote:
10acjed wrote:

Agreed on all points.

Winston has been just as bad as Clabo this season, but Vollmer, who was my number 1 want in Free Agency, has been an absolute stud this season. Would have made a great signing, and probably cheaper than what the cost will be next off season.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:46 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:
Tannehill in almost 20 starts, has not.

It's a huge concern whether it's RT or coaching.

Tannehill is the one pulling the trigger.

We can sit here and say instead of running the ball in he could 4 or 5 more TD passes this year in those 1st/2nd and goal situations. I commend him for positioning the team to score. The TD passes have to come on bigger plays and we've only seen a few so far.

I will say it until I'm blue in the face but a decent running game will lead to more TD passes and a high powered offense. The talent is there.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:10 am

Miami's offense is built around efficiency. RT isn't a stat whore always looking for the big play. As he matures he'll take a few more peeks downfield. I'm not worried. In order for Miami to win he needs to avoid forcing it. Miami also needs to exploit the deep middle. A couple of times last week he had WRs breaking free deep over the middle and he didn't see them. It'll come with time.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:39 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Miami's offense is built around efficiency. RT isn't a stat whore always looking for the big play. As he matures he'll take a few more peeks downfield. I'm not worried. In order for Miami to win he needs to avoid forcing it. Miami also needs to exploit the deep middle. A couple of times last week he had WRs breaking free deep over the middle and he didn't see them. It'll come with time.

Personally, I think they're making him paranoid. You can see it in how he rarely looks to break the pocket and his pass distribution. I don't see any of these other young QB's being mentally wrecked for taking shots down field. In fact, this is a big play league. You can't put on 10-12 play drives every single time. Waiting to let him take some shots is delaying the inevitable and unnecessary.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:45 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

we have a better conference record .......

Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:54 am

Rock Sexton wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Personally, I think they're making him paranoid. You can see it in how he rarely looks to break the pocket and his pass distribution. I don't see any of these other young QB's being mentally wrecked for taking shots down field. In fact, this is a big play league. You can't put on 10-12 play drives every single time. Waiting to let him take some shots is delaying the inevitable and unnecessary.

Yeah I get that but when you look at guys like Eli and Schaub...maybe a little paranoia is a good thing. I think it shows in the 2 min drill that he can get it done. Miami's offense has been very productive in the 2 min drill which suggests its all on him to make it happen.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:57 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Yeah I get that but when you look at guys like Eli and Schaub...maybe a little paranoia is a good thing. I think it shows in the 2 min drill that he can get it done. Miami's offense has been very productive in the 2 min drill which suggests its all on him to make it happen.

Not sure what you mean with the Eli and Schaub comment.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:02 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

I think a major criticism from last year was he tried to force big passes leading to 3 and outs and turnovers. You might be correct in that they are preaching more check down options to him.

Why they don't have Hartline and Gibson running deep routes is beyond me. They seem more apt to making tougher catches if Tannehill is shorting his deep throws.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next