View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Sherman watch 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Sherman watch
ESPN wrote:
Sherman watch:

It has been a rough couple of weeks for Dolphins offensive coordinator Mike Sherman. His play-calling has been shoddy, including a pair of head-scratching decisions to run the ball outside on third-and-1. Sherman called only 11 runs in what was a close and competitive game, whereas the Dolphins passed the ball 40 times. It will be Sherman’s job to re-evaluate the offense and his play-calling tendencies over the next two weeks. Opponents are starting to catch up to the Dolphins' offense after a solid start in the first three games.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... i-dolphins

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:45 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: Sherman watch
So does Sherman play bully to Philbin? He (Philbin) cant tell him something is not working, make him change it up?

Seems odd to me, an offensive minded coach, who was known for his game planning week to week in GB suddenly has no say in what our offense does..

I hope we are not headed down this road again, because if memory serves me it ends with a new staff

Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:29 pm
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer

That's a pick worth captioning. I'll start:

"Damn it, another first down! I'm trying my best to be inept!!!"

Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:33 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Sherman isn't going anywhere this year.

Unfortunately, this offense might not either.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:42 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

Rich wrote:
That's a pick worth captioning. I'll start:

"Damn it, another first down! I'm trying my best to be inept!!!"

"I can't focus on my Candy Crush game with this noise."

Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:11 pm
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host

10acjed wrote:
So does Sherman play bully to Philbin? He (Philbin) cant tell him something is not working, make him change it up?

Seems odd to me, an offensive minded coach, who was known for his game planning week to week in GB suddenly has no say in what our offense does..

I hope we are not headed down this road again, because if memory serves me it ends with a new staff

We need to hope like hell that there is some serious self evaluation done during this bye week. Philbin needs to be able to let Sherman know changes need to be made, because they do.

I think Mike Sherman is a concern, among the ones that need to be addressed on the offensive side of the ball.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:30 pm

Sherman keeps being 'haunted' by his calls in short yardage situations.

Maybe his philosophy is to continue haunting himself with new ones so he can forget about the old ones.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:52 pm
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

I remember what it is like as an OC. You draw it up against tendencies in the up coming defense and it works like magic. You get to the game and you lose 2 yards. You run it again and you lose 2 more. At that point I usually scrap the play. Sherman is a little more stubborn than I am. He lost 2 last week so he opens with the first two runs being zone blocks to the right...he was stuffed for no gain twice. So what does he do in the 2nd half...tries it again. Yo Sherman...burn the play. Take it out of the playbook and burn it.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:43 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Maybe its not the play calling as much as it is the lack of executing of the call or the lack of talent of the players to execute the call.. If those 3rd & 1 break for 40 yds then no one is questioning the call. In fact everyone is talking about how he fooled the D with such a great call.

Its called fence jumping. Bash the call also when it works. No one does that, though.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:45 pm
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Dphins4me wrote:
Maybe its not the play calling as much as it is the lack of executing of the call or the lack of talent of the players to execute the call.. If those 3rd & 1 break for 40 yds then no one is questioning the call. In fact everyone is talking about how he fooled the D with such a great call.

Its called fence jumping. Bash the call also when it works. No one does that, though.

You run it once. If they stuff it, you try something else. Simple logic would say you don't run a failed play twice back to back. Go watch the game and be objective. First series: 9 yard pass to wallace. 2:1 - zone sweep right with Miller...no gain. 3:1 - EXACT SAME PLAY

Even the announcer brought it up. Everyone on here sees it. Its not fence jumping. It is common sense. :hithead:

Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:57 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

You run it once. If they stuff it, you try something else. Simple logic would say you don't run a failed play twice back to back. Go watch the game and be objective. First series: 9 yard pass to wallace. 2:1 - zone sweep right with Miller...no gain. 3:1 - EXACT SAME PLAY

Even the announcer brought it up. Everyone on here sees it. Its not fence jumping. It is common sense. :hithead:

Atleast he gave the ball to Miller this time and not Thomas....Watching Thomas run is getting old to me. And Sherman thinks he is somehow as good as Miller.

I'm not sure it's the play calling as much as not using players correctly though.There is always plays that make you scratch your head, watching any team.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:52 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Even the announcer brought it up. Everyone on here sees it. Its not fence jumping. It is common sense.

Well, if the announcers brought it up, that changes everything.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:18 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Maybe off topic a bit but does anyone know the pass distributions for the last 5 games? You know.....example: 3/10 left middle, 5/15 right middle, etc.....?

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:24 pm
Profile YIM
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Dphins4me wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
Even the announcer brought it up. Everyone on here sees it. Its not fence jumping. It is common sense.

Well, if the announcers brought it up, that changes everything.

No always, but you disagreeing with it makes it certain.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:45 pm
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

The Hen wrote:
Maybe off topic a bit but does anyone know the pass distributions for the last 5 games? You know.....example: 3/10 left middle, 5/15 right middle, etc.....?

Todays game was about 3-1 right to left. There weren't a lot of throws between the hash marks either.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:46 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Sorry to disappoint, but I do not fence jump on calls. Seen teams run wide on 3rd & short many times. Some fail, some succeed. The difference is usually the execution of the play.

I will say though. It might have been the refs fault the play failed. There had to be a penalty against the Ravens they failed to call.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:05 pm

Dphins4me wrote:

We know what this team is and isn't good at. And they haven't been good running those stretch plays all season. They also aren't good at pass protection, so it's a no brainer that 10 runs to 47 passes is a recipe for failure.

It's common sense, not fence jumping.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:31 pm
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Dphins4me wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
Sorry to disappoint, but I do not fence jump on calls. Seen teams run wide on 3rd & short many times. Some fail, some succeed. The difference is usually the execution of the play.

I will say though. It might have been the refs fault the play failed. There had to be a penalty against the Ravens they failed to call.

Twice in 2 weeks you have 2 downs to make less than a yard. I know, we could really fool them and run a flea flicker...there's a reason the 21 dive is in the playbook. Use it.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:50 pm
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

who was the last great off. cord. that we've had calling plays? the DON?

Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:45 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
We know what this team is and isn't good at. And they haven't been good running those stretch plays all season. They also aren't good at pass protection, so it's a no brainer that 10 runs to 47 passes is a recipe for failure.

If my comments on fence jumping were addressing the 10:47 play calling, then you would be correct.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:40 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:

Twice in 2 weeks you have 2 downs to make less than a yard. I know, we could really fool them and run a flea flicker...there's a reason the 21 dive is in the playbook. Use it.

When Sherman calls for a run up the gut & fails. Then you are here talking about how unimaginative he is & why does he run wide because "everyone" knows they are running it up the gut on 3rd & short.

That is how it works.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:43 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dphins4me wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

When Sherman calls for a run up the gut & fails. Then you are here talking about how unimaginative he is & why does he run wide because "everyone" knows they are running it up the gut on 3rd & short.

That is how it works.

The bigger problem here is that if they can't get 2 yards up the gut when needed then this is a sub .500 team.

Miami had at least 1 rushing TD inside inside the 10 yd line in the first 4 games. It shouldn't be a problem getting a 1st down when a yard or two is needed. They need to search for a capable fullback.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:35 am

Dphins4me wrote:
Rich wrote:

If my comments on fence jumping were addressing the 10:47 play calling, then you would be correct.

You're focusing on the 3rd and short playcalls.

That's still common sense.

We have all seen what Daniel Thomas does for years now. He isn't a powerback. He doesn't lower his shoulder. He doesn't have the speed to the outside.

We also know that John Jerry and Tyson Clabo can't run block, while we have a lot more success running to the left side.

We also know that we don't have a lot of success running outside the tackles because we do it over and over and over and it fails.

We also know that the offensive coordinator himself was haunted by the playcall against New Orleans, and yet decided to go with similar plays against the Ravens, yes with a different back, but to the side of the offensive line that cannot run block... TWICE.

There's no fence jumping here. It is a clear pattern of an offensive coordinator who is trying to fit his square talent into a round system.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:10 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:
We also know that the offensive coordinator himself was haunted by the playcall against New Orleans, and yet decided to go with similar plays against the Ravens, yes with a different back, but to the side of the offensive line that cannot run block... TWICE.

There's no fence jumping here. It is a clear pattern of an offensive coordinator who is trying to fit his square talent into a round system.

He seems stuck on his handful of plays he has been running since A & M.. Look at some highlight videos of the 2011 season, looks exactly the same as what we do..

He was able to get RT out of the pocket and even had him on a bunch of designed run plays last year. Thing is he followed Fasano, who was a great blocking TE. We have no blocking up front. We cant run to the left or right, so chances are we cant do designed roll outs very well either.

Seems we are handcuffed to just drop back and pass or run up the gut.

They decided to go forward with Martin on the blind side, the big FA pick up was Clabo who is struggling. John Jerry has not proven to be anything. They felt Reggie and Fasano were not worth keeping around, so they kept a bunch of cap money and put it all on Miller and Keller. Keller is hurt, and Miller has not shown me anything that resembles what he was in college.

Sherman needs to get creative, or go back to the college circuit. Look around the league, plenty of teams find ways to be creative and hide flaws.

But the brunt of the problems fall on Ireland and Philbin for not putting the best 53 on the field when they had the chance.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:54 am
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Dphins4me wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

That is how it works.

If he ran the same play twice you bet I would. The difference is this: The strength on this team is throwing a short pass. Why wouldn't you play to that strength? Can you imagine Chicago forcing Jordan to dump off to Rodman at a critical point in the game. Then when Rodman threw a brick going back and doing the same exact play again? Coaches aren't above reproach. I coached 9-13 year old kids as an OC and can tell you that when a play didn't work....you trashed it. There's always the temptation to look at a play and say it should have worked if they executed properly and as a coach, you were normally right. But if the defense is on it and the offense isn't, the play sucks, no matter how brilliant the design. Sherman has now killed two critical drives with the same mentaility. I mentioned it last week but didn't stay on it. This week...he deserves the idiot of the week award for running that same play 3 times for a total of -5yds and killing two more drives in the process.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:31 am
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Case endpoint...Atlanta down by 6, 4th and 2 with no running game didn't run a outside run. They threw to Gonzales because that is their money play

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:34 am

NFLJunkie wrote:
Case endpoint...Atlanta down by 6, 4th and 2 with no running game didn't run a outside run. They threw to Gonzales because that is their money play

Keller was our Gonzalez.

Despite Clay's performance, that injury is felt.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:04 am
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Phins Rock wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Keller was our Gonzalez.

Gibson or Hartline...high percentage

Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:29 am

NFLJunkie wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Keller was our Gonzalez.

Gibson or Hartline...high percentage

Could have gone to Keller out of the formation you were in.

How effective would a PA boot with a run/pass option to Keller be?

Hell, it'd be effective to Clay if Sherman knew the play existed.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:37 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

owned!

can't imagine argueing that was a good call

Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:00 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:

We have all seen what Daniel Thomas does for years now. He isn't a powerback. He doesn't lower his shoulder. He doesn't have the speed to the outside.

We also know that John Jerry and Tyson Clabo can't run block, while we have a lot more success running to the left side.

We also know that we don't have a lot of success running outside the tackles because we do it over and over and over and it fails.

I just find it rather odd that these great offensive minded coaches continually come to Miami & the fans believe they are now stupid and have no clue how to call a game. After doing so successfully for yrs. Same with defensive coaches. Then they leave & suddenly become great again.

Maybe he outsmarted himself with believing the Ravens saw the same play against the Saints & would not expect them to do it again. Its only a bad call when it doesn't work. Had Miller broke it for 40, then this thread is never typed and that is the point. No one cares when it works.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:12 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:

If Miami had a TE or offensive player the caliber of TG, then I would expect it. However, Miami does not have anyone close to the caliber of their TE or either Wr.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:14 pm
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Dphins4me wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

If Miami had a TE or offensive player the caliber of TG, then I would expect it. However, Miami does not have anyone close to the caliber of their TE or either Wr.

Okay, 4th and goal at the 2, down by 5...8 seconds left ...win and you're in the playoffs ... given what you see from Miami today...what are you calling?

Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:31 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:
Rich wrote:

I just find it rather odd that these great offensive minded coaches continually come to Miami & the fans believe they are now stupid and have no clue how to call a game. After doing so successfully for yrs. Same with defensive coaches. Then they leave & suddenly become great again.

Maybe he outsmarted himself with believing the Ravens saw the same play against the Saints & would not expect them to do it again. Its only a bad call when it doesn't work. Had Miller broke it for 40, then this thread is never typed and that is the point. No one cares when it works.

Its about common sense and playing to the strength of your team. And running wide is definitely not a strength for this offense. Last Monday night Sherman needed 1 inch for a critical 1st down and decided to run wide instead of right up the gut. One inch! Then he does it again the next week on 3rd and 1. Tannehill could sneak behind Pouncey for those 1st downs. Obviously Jerry and Clabo are struggling and are a huge liability right now. We need to remember that Charles Clay is the closest thing Miami has as a FB. They cut Tyler Clutts last week. Miami needs to find a way to generate a running game. Even if its mediocre. I don't know if they can use Gardner or Dallas Thomas in place of Jerry and or Clabo. But they can't keep doing the same thing they have been doing. And they need to get a RB that can block.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:50 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

He better be creating more plays for his posted note of a playbook this week.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:32 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The thing that gets me the most is people are complaining about what he did not call, without knowing the results had he made a different call. Its easy to sit here & say. He should have called something different. However & I've seen it here. Had he called a simple run up the gut & failed then people would be complaining about what a stupid call that was.. All some are during is being Mr. Sports Hindsight guy and playing the results.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:42 pm
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

No, what people are complaining about is doing it 3 times in short yardage...all 3 times failing to pick up a single yard. He did it on BACK TO BACK plays last week on the opening series. If he was as stubborn with plays that work, this team would be averaging 30 points a game. Unfortunately if a play works really well, he rarely calls it again.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:51 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Dphins4me wrote:
The thing that gets me the most is people are complaining about what he did not call, without knowing the results had he made a different call. Its easy to sit here & say. He should have called something different. However & I've seen it here. Had he called a simple run up the gut & failed then people would be complaining about what a stupid call that was.. All some are during is being Mr. Sports Hindsight guy and playing the results.

This is following the loss on MNF to New Orleans
Quote:
Sherman, on the questionable fourth and one call early in the game --- the one that was pitched to Thomas, instead of a quarterback draw: “In hindsight, I wish I did” do something different. “The guy made a great play. That was a big play in the game. That will really haunt me.”

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy

They he ran the same play in a similar situation a week later..

Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:24 am

Dphins4me wrote:

When is the last time Sherman coached in the NFL? The game has changed quite a bit and his system seems to lack a lot of the things being used by today's offenses. Not sure how great of an offensive mind he is anymore.

As for Philbin, I said it before we hired him. He wasn't the one calling the plays in Green Bay and it wasn't his system (and got slammed for mentioning it).

Quote:
Its only a bad call when it doesn't work. Had Miller broke it for 40, then this thread is never typed and that is the point. No one cares when it works.

If you had told anybody he was going to make those calls, we would have told you it wasn't going to work and that's the point. Because we've seen those outside runs over and over and seen the same results over and over.

Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next