View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ravens 26, Dolphins 23 - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly 
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Ravens 26, Dolphins 23 - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
The Good

Not much good today for the Dolphins. Even though some players put up nice numbers on paper, I do not believe a single Dolphins player truly had a good game today. So we're skipping this section.

The Bad

This offensive line is terrible. Especially the right side. Something needs to change during the bye week because these guys are just not getting it. Tyson Clabo has not played anywhere closed to the level he has over the past several years. He gives up at least a sack a game and is terrible in run blocking. John Jerry is not far behind. The right side of the offensive line is probably the biggest weakness on this team. The left side gave up sacks too, but all offensive linemen do. The overwhelming majority of sacks and pressures seem to be coming from the right side. Could it be time to give Dallas Thomas and/or Nate Garner a shot? It can't be any worse than what we have now.

Playcalling continues to be an issue. Last week, the Dolphins and Mike Sherman were criticized for bringing in Daniel Thomas and calling a stretch play to the left on 3rd and inches against the Saints. The play lost two yards. Despite saying the playcalling "haunted" him, Sherman actually trumped it by having Lamar Miller run to the right on a similar stretch play on 3rd and half a yard. At least last week he ran it behind the strength of the offensive line. This week, he ran the play behind John Jerry and Tyson Clabo, who simply should not be on the team at this point. By the time the game was over, the Dolphins had called 10 running plays to 47 passing plays. I've never seen to much offensive imbalance, not even during the Marino years. This team cannot expect Ryan Tannehill to win games when they are asking him to drop back almost 50 times behind this offensive line.

Here are some stats to digest:

- First downs, 20 for the Ravens, 10 for the Dolphins
- Third down conversions, 6 of 16 for the Ravens, 3 of 16 for the Dolphins
- Time of possession, 36:16 for the Ravens, 23:44 for the Dolphins

Somehow, the Dolphins won the turnover battle (2 to 0) and lost the game. The key stat to me is time of possession. This defense simply spent too much time on the field and got worn out. Despite that, the defense kept the Dolphins in the game late with a Reshad Jones pick 6 caused by a Dion Jordan hit on Flacco.

Drops - the Dolphins dropped too many passes today. Mike Wallace lead the way, but chipping in with Charles Clay and Brian Hartline with key drops at key moments of the game. It will be interesting to see how many drops the Dolphins will be credited with when Pro Football Focus releases its analysis of the game this week.

The Ugly

Mike Wallace put up 7 catches for 105 yards with a long of 49. Normally, this type of performance would put a player under "The Good", but not when it takes 16 targets to get there, not to mention multiple drops. This is the equivalent of an NBA player scoring 25 points on 12 of 40 shooting.

Ryan Tannehill also had a fine statistical game with 307 yards and 1 TD. He had no turnovers and finished with a 86.1 rating. The problem is he also underthrew Mike Wallace on a couple of deep throws, even the one that was caught for 49 yards. Tannehill needs to figure out how to get the ball out in front of Wallace, he was regularly getting behind the secondary today.

Charles Clay also had a nice statistical game, with 3 catches for 52 yards and a TD. But it was on 6 targets and he had a critical drop on the last drive of the game.

Overall

The Dolphins offense did not control the clock, putting the Dolphins defense in tough spots. The defense did what it could, causing two turnovers, sacking Flacco twice and even scoring a touchdown. But they too had their lapses. Special teams coverage was not as good as usual.

The Dolphins are a team dealing with multiple critical injuries. Cam Wake's absence has hurt the pass rush and you could see that Derrick Shelby and Olivier Vernon was gassed at the end of the game. Dmitri Patterson has missed 4 games ever since his breakout performance against the Browns. Nolan Carroll has filled in admirably for Patterson, but he too has been dinged up. Dannell Ellerbe had a shoulder injury during today's game. We still haven't seen Will Davis.

On offense, the Dolphins need to figure out something on the right side of the offensive line. All Tannehill and these receivers need is competent, decent pass blocking so this passing game can click. Mike Sherman also needs to do a better job of getting defenses off balance. The playcalling has been bland and predictable all season. This is not helping the Dolphins offense and thereby, not helping the defense.

The bye week could not come at a better time for the Dolphins. They have an opportunity to evaluate what they've accomplished so far, and what they need to do to get better for the rest of the season. If changes need to be made, especially at offensive line, the time is NOW. Here's hoping something significant happens between now and October 20th. Otherwise, Tyson Clabo against Mario Williams is going to be more of the same.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:52 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Ravens 26, Dolphins 23 - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Nice write up, not sure if he was good but thought Fields was ok.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:05 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The Dolphins had called 10 running plays to 47 passing plays. This is the primary issue. They never trailed by more than 10 points but abandoned the run. If they can't get a balanced attack Tannehill will continue to be sacked and eventually injured.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:12 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

This is unfortunately one of your most accurate Good, Bad and Ugly's.

I have no idea where this line goes for help. Could Jerry at RT and Garner at RG at least stop the bleeding? Or as you mentioned, Garner and Thomas, maybe even Watkins.

I don't get how Tannehill throws money deep passes to Hartline (week 1) and Gibson/Clay (today) but can't get it to Wallace. Has he overthrown him a lot in practice or other games? I just don't get the constant underthrow.

Tannehill needs more than 2 seconds to throw the ball, plain and simple. He's been let down by drops on several occasions but has also missed targets with rushed throws. If the ground game could get going at least some play action could spice things up.

I give the defense a pass. They are banged up and on the field a lot. The offense will score quickly but long stretches with awful drives. The defense is being asked to do too much.

Junkie, now is the ripe opportunity for you to open up a can of constructive criticism on any player you want. It is well deserved.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:17 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

bobby0112 wrote:
The Dolphins had called 10 running plays to 47 passing plays. This is the primary issue. They never trailed by more than 10 points but abandoned the run. If they can't get a balanced attack Tannehill will continue to be sacked and eventually injured.

But this isn't a new problem, and one we'll continue to see until we get rid of Mike Sherman.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:18 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Missed an "Ugly"

It goes out to our terrible fans, who let Baltimore fans show up in the numbers that they did. Pretty embarrassing.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:04 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

I see Nolan Carroll had his token PI at another critical juncture of the game so I'm not sure I'd call that filling admirably.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:19 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

NFLJunkie wrote:
I see Nolan Carroll had his token PI at another critical juncture of the game so I'm not sure I'd call that filling admirably.

It was a BS call.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:20 pm

Jammer - I was out shooting today..so probably will wait until I watch the game tomorrow. Although, I'm in agreement with the OL since it has been a problem all season. Here is the real question, if the line has been that bad, why doesn't Sherman keep a TE in to help? Seems like he should at least gamble on max protect a few times a game to help give RT time to throw deep.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:20 pm

Phinsrock - I also stated this the other day. Miami seems to go on the road and inevitably they have to overcome a few home cooked calls to win the game. I've been watching the Dolphins for a long time...I haven't seen very many "home" calls since Don Shula retired. This year, it is like their playing an away game in S. florida. In games where two teams are very evenly matched, a call like that is huge. I didn't watch the game but looking at the play by play the call there and the one on Grimes on the same drive pretty much gave Baltimore the tying score. In any case, until Miami starts getting the close calls to go their way...their destiny will be the team that "almost" won that close game.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:25 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:
Jammer - I was out shooting today..so probably will wait until I watch the game tomorrow. Although, I'm in agreement with the OL since it has been a problem all season. Here is the real question, if the line has been that bad, why doesn't Sherman keep a TE in to help? Seems like he should at least gamble on max protect a few times a game to help give RT time to throw deep.

why don't you watch the games?

Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:38 pm

swerve13 wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

why don't you watch the games?

Blood pressure :) I live in Colorado. I gave up Direct tv and now have NFL replay. So if its not a nationally televised game, I don't get it live. But I do watch the game the next day. There is a bonus to doing this. First, I'm not in a lousy mood if they lose or if they suffer a bad call or two in a close game. Secondly, I can re-watch the game a little more objectively while breaking down the plays. Finally, I don't waste a day on Sunday sitting on the couch when I can be out doing other things. The only downside is waiting if I really want to watch it. ...

Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:00 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Kevin Burnett playing lights out tonite for Oakland. I miss that guy.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:21 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

1984phins wrote:
Missed an "Ugly"

It goes out to our terrible fans, who let Baltimore fans show up in the numbers that they did. Pretty embarrassing.

They are always out in force, figuring they won a championship last year the fan base is still pretty bloated... They were loud yesterday.

Wish I could fill the stands, unfortunately I am just a fan with a couple tickets, and every year when we are sub .500 I swear I wont do it again, yet here I am..

Your right, it is embarassing.. Embarrasing I spend my money to be disappointed.

:fart:

Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:11 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:

Answer to that is probably two things: Sims is the only one capable of blocking but doesn't seem too trustworthy yet and it takes Clay or Gibson off the field.

Stinks because when given time to throw Tannehill is completing very good passes. Outside of the deep throws to Wallace I don't recall him being too far off target.

But the bigger issue is the lack of a running game. This needs to be a more balanced team. Its becoming too easy for DCs to gameplan.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:31 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

tannehill shouldn't get any free passes for the game he had yesterday.....that was flat out bad..2 of those wallace "drops" were bad throws behind..they are not on the same page yet..the biggest complaint i have is how long he is taking to get rid of the ball..a number of times he staired down the reciever too long and gave the db time to recover..he was lucky on a pick and those sacks have plenty to do with him..the lack of td's in todays nfl isn't gonna cut it....

concerned......yes, you can't ever have super bowl asperations with a qb playing like he is..

Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:56 am

NFLJunkie wrote:

Formalizing opinions without actually seeing the game I see.

For a guy that always criticizes officiating, I find it funny that you would trust them so blindly when it comes to Nolan Carroll.

He made a great play and it was a terrible call.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:58 am

swerve13 wrote:

He never played lights out for us.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:59 am

Kev1321 wrote:
tannehill shouldn't get any free passes for the game he had yesterday.....that was flat out bad..2 of those wallace "drops" were bad throws behind..they are not on the same page yet..the biggest complaint i have is how long he is taking to get rid of the ball..a number of times he staired down the reciever too long and gave the db time to recover..he was lucky on a pick and those sacks have plenty to do with him..the lack of td's in todays nfl isn't gonna cut it....

concerned......yes, you can't ever have super bowl asperations with a qb playing like he is..

Hard to be accurate when Wallace isn't where he's supposed to be.

I'm also so tired of hearing people complain about Tannehill holding onto the ball too long (no offense).

A QB should not have to get rid of it in under 2.5 seconds every single time he drops back. Every quarterback is allowed a few plays here and now where he can scan the field and go through his reads. Ryan isn't given ANY of those, and the 2-3 times he holds onto for more than 2.5 seconds he "held the ball too long and the sack is his fault?"...Not buying it.

What I'm concerned with is that he can't hit Wallace deep. Even when they have connected, it's been on under thrown passes. I'm also concerned that Ryan is getting mor inconsistent every week and THAT is a major major concern, and one that won't get resolved until this embarrassment of a protection unit is fixed.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:14 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
What I'm concerned with is that he can't hit Wallace deep. Even when they have connected, it's been on under thrown passes. I'm also concerned that Ryan is getting mor inconsistent every week and THAT is a major major concern, and one that won't get resolved until this embarrassment of a protection unit is fixed.

Said it another thread as well. I just don't get how he is hitting deep throws to Hartline, Clay, Gibson and heck even one to Matthews I believe, but cannot get the timing with Wallace down.

The inconsistency has a lot to do with the protection and defenses sitting on 3rd and long. Its getting easy to gameplan against Miami.

I will keep saying it, I think play action is the key to untapping Tannehill to Wallace.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:21 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

i disagree and i'm not going to go on and on for 2 weeks ...tannehill is as much of the sack problem as the line right now...go look at the almost pick that had to be replayed because the refs blew the call...he throws that ball sooner and it's a catch...he gave the db time to recover and does it alot...teams a blitzing more because he hasn't shown he can handle it...sad but true....luck throw a 70yd tds to hilton...men in his face...

Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:25 am

Have to agree with you here.

I am actually OK with Ryan Tannehill taking a sack because there was good coverage and he had to eat it rather than forcing the ball into coverage and getting picked off, which is far more disastrous.

I am not OK with the times he has no time to throw, which are way too many. Yes, he has to learn how to move better in the pocket, yes he has to protect the football and yes he can improve some in stepping up, but Tannehill is far from the top of the list as far as problems on this offense.

To say that his quality of QB play is a problem given the 6 drops and numerous collapses by the right side of the pocket is ridiculous.

If he had the time to throw that guys like Brees and Manning are being given, he'd be fine.

The biggest problem on this offense is the right side of the offensive line.

The second biggest problem on this offense is how quickly we abandon the run.

The Ravens weren't running the ball well, but they still pounded it in there 40 times, controlled the clock and wore out the defense. They stuck with the run and they eeked out the win. And their playaction pass was effective despite the poor running game because they kept the defense honest.

We ran it 10 times and threw it 47 (counting 6 sacks and one Tannehill scramble) and the results speak for themselves.

You cannot expect an offensive line this weak to protect your quarterback effectively when you completely abandon the run in a tight game.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:26 am

Kev1321 wrote:
i disagree and i'm not going to go on and on for 2 weeks ...tannehill is as much of the sack problem as the line right now...go look at the almost pick that had to be replayed because the refs blew the call...he throws that ball sooner and it's a catch...he gave the db time to recover and does it alot...teams a blitzing more because he hasn't shown he can handle it...sad but true....luck throw a 70yd tds to hilton...men in his face...

Tannehill is a much better QB against the blitz according to Pro Football Metrics.

He is struggling against four man rushes.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:27 am

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Neither did Bush....right now they're just data points but they are starting to line up.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:38 am

NFLJunkie wrote:
Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Neither did Bush....right now they're just data points but they are starting to line up.

Goes back to coaching and knowing how to use your talent.

See Lamar Miller and Mike Wallace. We don't know how to use those guys.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:41 am

Yes...I agree. I think a lot of the failures on the right side of the line are there because Sherman refuses to change what he's doing to "fix" or hide the weakness there.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:47 am

NFLJunkie wrote:
Yes...I agree. I think a lot of the failures on the right side of the line are there because Sherman refuses to change what he's doing to "fix" or hide the weakness there.

I think the biggest problem with the running game is we keep trying those outside runs that take too long to develop and often end in a no gain or a 1-2 yard loss.

The Dolphins need to run it north-south more and take 3 yards rather than no yards. Two 3 yard runs is 3rd and 4 and much more manageable than the 3rd and 7 or more than Tannehill usually finds himself in.

All running plays should take place inside of Martin and Clabo, not outside. I feel much more comfortable with Miller running behind Incognito and Pouncey and for some reason that's just not happening a lot.

Also, where was the pistol that worked so well against New Orleans? Why do we go away from what works and back to what doesn't (outside runs on 3rd and short)?

It is coaching and Sherman's playcalling is a huge part of the problem here.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:59 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Nicely done, Rich, as usual. Good points.

Rich wrote:
I think the biggest problem with the running game is we keep trying those outside runs that take too long to develop and often end in a no gain or a 1-2 yard loss.

If we must run outside, I'd like to see someone with some real speed in a full sprint such as Mike Wallace running to the left side on an end around. Nothing else is working on the outside, yet we continue to run those plays.

Rich wrote:
The Dolphins need to run it north-south more and take 3 yards rather than no yards. Two 3 yard runs is 3rd and 4 and much more manageable than the 3rd and 7 or more than Tannehill usually finds himself in.

I'd like to see Lamar Miller running right between Incognito and Pouncey. Maybe even have a FB leading the way in that crowded area in the middle of the field. Also, what is wrong with a QB sneak when it's only 1 yards. I highly doubt that Tannehill fumbles it there.

Rich wrote:
It is coaching and Sherman's playcalling is a huge part of the problem here.

Sherman has done a fantastic job with Tannehill's development, but I hate offensive coordinators that believe so much in their system to believe that all they have to do is plug in players to make it work. What made Don Shula a great coach was that he was always willing to change his philosophy based on the talent he had on his roster. I think this falls on Philben to tell his mentor to adjust his playcalling. One thing that I did admire about Saban was that he jerked a knot into Linehan who was of the same mindset as Sherman.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:40 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

He started off like complete crap with us and everyone (myself included) was on his butt ..... but he eventually turned into a rock, especially against the run.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:22 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rock Sexton wrote:
He started off like complete crap with us and everyone (myself included) was on his butt ..... but he eventually turned into a rock, especially against the run.

Burnett actually played well for us but we went with Wheeler's age. Wheeler has been a step or two backwards right now. Our scheme is more difficult, so, we'll have to give him time to learn it. I think it took Burnett nearly half a season to figure things out. He was steady but never a playmaker. Wheeler is supposedly faster and can be used as a pass rusher.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:07 am
Profile WWW

Wheeler had a better game against the Ravens than he had in the previous weeks.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:15 am

Quote:
All running plays should take place inside of Martin and Clabo, not outside. I feel much more comfortable with Miller running behind Incognito and Pouncey and for some reason that's just not happening a lot.

Just watching the game now, Pouncey got owned by Ngata on that first series. On a coaching note, it looked as though the stubborn Sherman ran the exact same running play twice on 2nd and 1 and 3rd and 1. As well as RT has been throwing the short stuff...I would've taken a shot on 3rd and 1 with him. Lack of creativity.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:06 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:

Just watching the game now, Pouncey got owned by Ngata on that first series. On a coaching note, it looked as though the stubborn Sherman ran the exact same running play twice on 2nd and 1 and 3rd and 1. As well as RT has been throwing the short stuff...I would've taken a shot on 3rd and 1 with him. Lack of creativity.

Enjoy a frustrating afternoon with a sprinkling of Holy Poop moments that will keep you thinking there is some dynamic potential in this team.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

ya he did, but he's not a Dolphin anymore so let's not give him any credit.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Kev1321 wrote:

:hithead:

Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:05 pm

swerve13 wrote:
Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

ya he did, but he's not a Dolphin anymore so let's not give him any credit.

5 sacks, 1 forced fumble and 1 interception in two seasons.

You have a lower bar for what playing lights out means than I (or anyone else for that matter) do.

Burnett was regularly getting beaten by tight ends in coverage (remember, this was a problem before our current linbeackers were added). Now all of a sudden he was a stud?

Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:07 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Nope he never did and the linebacker changeover was more of a future benefit than just for this year.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:03 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Mindtornado wrote:
Nope he never did and the linebacker changeover was more of a future benefit than just for this year.

We're getting into semantics here.

Our LB's last year (Burnett/Dansby) lacked big plays. We signed Ellerbe/Wheeler based on the idea that they were younger/faster but they're lacking the same big plays and their speed hasn't translated into better TE coverage. I'd argue that the previous duo were more stout against the run.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:28 pm

Although Wheeler has had uneven performances (better at blitzing but is out of position a lot in coverage and against therun), I think Ellerbe has been an upgrade over Dansby.

The majority of damage done by tight ends thus far this season has come against the safeties. Reshad Jones had been badly slumping until that pick 6.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:32 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Although Wheeler has had uneven performances (better at blitzing but is out of position a lot in coverage and against therun), I think Ellerbe has been an upgrade over Dansby.

The majority of damage done by tight ends thus far this season has come against the safeties. Reshad Jones had been badly slumping until that pick 6.

I think it was on WQAM recently where they were talking about the schematic difference in this year's D vs. last year's. They posed that Reshad Jones had been struggling because this year he has more coverage responsibilities instead of being able to free lance. This being due to the fact that the LB's are asked for blitz a lot more.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next