View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Dolphins DC Kevin Coyle takes blame for Monday’s mess ... 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Dolphins DC Kevin Coyle takes blame for Monday’s mess ...
Quote:
BY BARRY JACKSON
bjackson@MiamiHerald.com

Monday night’s torching by New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees dropped the Dolphins to 24th in pass defense and 26th in overall defense, and left Dolphins defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle blaming himself to an extent.

“The pass defense was not good enough, not even close,” coach Joe Philbin said Tuesday. “We made it too easy on them.”

“We’ve got to be more consistent with everything we’re doing,” Coyle said. “I’ve got to get them in better position to make plays. I didn’t do a good job of that [Monday] night. Hopefully, we can get it corrected.”

Running back Darren Sproles torched the Dolphins with 114 yards on seven receptions. Asked if he would do anything differently now against Sproles, Coyle said: “There were times we were doubling him. But you can’t do it every play. … They schemed us pretty good. I’ve got to do a better job of helping these guys.”

Sherman said his call on a failed fourth-and-inches — he opted to pitch to Thomas instead of running a quarterback sneak — “will really haunt me. ...

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/10/02/3 ... rylink=cpy

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:28 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post Re: Dolphins DC Kevin Coyle takes blame for Monday’s mess ...
I hate Sherman so much.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:40 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Us too Mike, thanks.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:42 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Quote:
Sherman said his call on a failed fourth-and-inches — he opted to pitch to Thomas instead of running a quarterback sneak — “will really haunt me. ...

When you are the away team in a hostile environment like this, you want to start off with a surge to get the emotional momentum to carry you through, not a fist pump opportunity. The good thing is that maybe it will help him change some of his playcalling going forward. I can only hope. Some plays he looks like a genius, but other plays it seems he is asking the boy that picks up the jock straps to make the play.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:47 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

IamPZ wrote:
I hate Sherman so much.

Not sure why. The guy is stubborn and old school and his playcalling has been questionable, but at least he owns up to it.

It is a far cry from Dan Henning, who could do no wrong, even when it was obvious to everyone else.

At least Sherman is man enough to own it.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:12 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Sherman's play calling isn't nearly as bad as Henning's.

He's just a little slow I think. He eventually makes the adjustments, but either it takes a while and/or not enough of it.

For example, why did it take this long to use Tannehill/Miller in the pistol? In a 3 wide set, that's an obvious advantage to Miami. It maximizes Tannehill and Miller's speed element. I think that should be used WAY more often from here on out.

Same with the read option. I don't want Tannehill taking unnecessary hits, especially when he's getting hit in the pocket as much as he is. That said, a couple of QB keepers early on could really open things up, and consequently help the protection.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:30 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

That game was a mess........you know you're going to have to score a lot of points in the SuperDome...........the Offense didn't do anything to help the D.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:13 am

Phins Rock wrote:
Sherman's play calling isn't nearly as bad as Henning's.

He's just a little slow I think. He eventually makes the adjustments, but either it takes a while and/or not enough of it.

For example, why did it take this long to use Tannehill/Miller in the pistol? In a 3 wide set, that's an obvious advantage to Miami. It maximizes Tannehill and Miller's speed element. I think that should be used WAY more often from here on out.

Same with the read option. I don't want Tannehill taking unnecessary hits, especially when he's getting hit in the pocket as much as he is. That said, a couple of QB keepers early on could really open things up, and consequently help the protection.

Yeah, the problem with Sherman is not necessarily the gameplan going in. We saw the Dolphins put up two touchdowns against the Colts in the first two drives. We saw some nice wrinkles unveiled against the Saints.

As the game progresses though, he either gets stuck in doing the same things or he goes away from what is working.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:58 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

• Sherman said his call on a failed fourth-and-inches — he opted to pitch to Thomas instead of running a quarterback sneak — “will really haunt me.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/10/02/3 ... rylink=cpy

It wasn't 4th-and-inches. It was 3rd down and 1 inch to go for a first down. I couldn't believe the call. He should have play action passed on 3rd down for a TD and then done a QB sneak on 4th down if that didn't work. It's over now. Maybe some good will come from this like Dave pointed out.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]