View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Wallace needs to play better if he wants the ball more 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Wallace needs to play better if he wants the ball more
I'd like to see Sherman find a way to get Wallace the ball more, but Wallace needs to step up and be worth the money. Catch the friggin ball if its in your hands ... create better separation.

Quote:
OC Mike Sherman said coverage has dictated a lack of deep targets for Mike Wallace.
Wallace has been targeted on a throw of 20+ yards just seven times all season. He's caught one of them for 34 yards and is averaging a lowly 11.7 YPC overall. "We're getting more two safety-looks to take away deeper looks, Sherman said. "We called 12 deep balls [Week 4]. They didn't go there because coverage didn't allow it to go there. You can't force things when they're not there." Wallace also has three drops, failed to separate consistently, shown zero chemistry with Ryan Tannehill and has complained in the media. The Dolphins are fine with using his deep speed as a mere tool to open things up for other players.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5329/mike-wallace

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:20 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Wallace needs to play better if he wants the ball more
I don't know if there is a lot of trust from Tannehill. He only throws to him when he is wide open or on a deep route. The drops have to be a big factor, otherwise it would be a no brainer to run constant quick slants or screens.

We should all be very grateful that Hartline is back because he has been money this year.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:57 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

He doesn't play hard IMO. He has that poor me look.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:09 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Wallace does need to play harder but Sherman needs to figure out better ways to use him... if they are playing 12 yards off him, call the quick slant. If he breaks a tackle... who knows!

Also, I get so aggravated when so-called reporters change the facts. Wallace never complained to the media about anything.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:14 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

call the quick slant. If he breaks a tackle... who knows

I agree, then the DB will start pressing him. ALso, remember when the DB was playing off of him and they did a bubble screen? I believe we scored a TD on the "only time" I've seen that play to him.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:20 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Rich wrote:
Wallace does need to play harder but Sherman needs to figure out better ways to use him... if they are playing 12 yards off him, call the quick slant. If he breaks a tackle... who knows!

Also, I get so aggravated when so-called reporters change the facts. Wallace never complained to the media about anything.

Exactly. There are a few guys around the league who are worth force feeding the ball too. Wallace is one of them. Sooner or later he'll bust one.

Makchell wrote:
He doesn't play hard IMO. He has that poor me look.

Yup. Don't like it at all. The rest of the offense are grinders...Wallace needs to follow.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:24 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Wallace gets his share of targets. He just drops it more than Hartline and Gibson do. He also doesn't seem to be aggressive in fighting for a catch. Someone in the chatroom called him a "glider". That is one expensive glider.

Targets through 4 games

Hartline targeted 29 caught 21 for 72.4%
Gibson targeted 27 caught 20 for 74.1%
Wallace targeted 25 caught 15 or 60%

http://www.kffl.com/player/20873/nfl/ut ... ke-wallace

Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:31 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

It is a no brainer to be throwing Wallace those quick slants or hitches. Make the defenders come up on him and most importantly get him the ball so he can get loose in the open like the Indy game.

Why they don't go back to that is beyond me. They are wasting some of his talents in a similar way they did with Reggie Bush. Play to their strengths and defenses weaknesses and laying off the speedy Wallace leaves the door wide open for a quick high completion pass that could turn into a huge gainer.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:14 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Finhead34 wrote:
It is a no brainer to be throwing Wallace those quick slants or hitches. Make the defenders come up on him and most importantly get him the ball so he can get loose in the open like the Indy game.

Why they don't go back to that is beyond me. They are wasting some of his talents in a similar way they did with Reggie Bush. Play to their strengths and defenses weaknesses and laying off the speedy Wallace leaves the door wide open for a quick high completion pass that could turn into a huge gainer.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but I need to see Mike make the plays when he is called on. The last INT that Ryan threw was a slant pattern that Wallace stopped running on. The deep pass that Ryan threw to him was a perfect pass. The DB did get a hand in a little bit on that play, but you got to make plays.

I want to see Wallace be more a part of the offense, but he needs to step his game up as well.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:25 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Why do WRs stop catching once they become Dolphins?

Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:14 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finhead34 wrote:

The problem eventually will become predictability.

If we become solely reliant on 2-3 step drops, getting the ball out in 2.4 seconds, and attempting to hit our WR's (who 90% are always lining up in the same spot) on slants/comebacks ..... teams are just going to sit on those or jump the route.

I said this is in the "first quarter" thread, but if we don't consistently get the run game going to facilitate the playaction pass ...... this offense is going to suffer.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:15 am

Rock Sexton wrote:
The problem eventually will become predictability.

Uh... we're already there. It is a problem now. We keep sending Wallace deep so teams just play off.

That's why you set up sluggos and out and ups by hitting the short stuff first.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:01 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Sherman is brain dead

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]