View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ] 
 ESPN the Magazine: Dolphins to win the east 
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Post ESPN the Magazine: Dolphins to win the east
Quote:
If the Patriots are to fall to second place in the AFC East, most experts believe the Dolphins will be the team to knock them out. But few actually believe the Patriots will lose the division. ESPN The Magazine is one of the few.
ESPN picked the Dolphins as division winners at 10-6. They have Miami defeating the Chiefs 20-13 in the wild card round and then falling to the Broncos in a 41-28 shootout in the divisional round. New England was picked to go 9-7 and miss the playoffs.

Sports Illustrated’s Peter King completely disagrees. SI has the Patriots at 12-4 and defeating the Seahawks in the Super Bowl. The Dolphins were picked third in the AFC East at 6-10, behind the Patriots and Bills (7-9). The Jets were picked at 3-13.
Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill received some buzz in NFL.com’s Quarterback Index. Tannehill was ranked as the No. 18 quarterback in NFL. At first glance that might not sound great, but in a league loaded with talented quarterbacks Tannehill was picked ahead of guys like Philip Rivers and Andy Dalton.

Tannehill received a mention, with editor Gregg Rosenthal writing: “Tannehill was the forgotten man in last year’s rookie class, but he showed every quarterback trait you look for. He should improve dramatically this season.”

- See more at: http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... 48W24.dpuf

Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:59 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: ESPN the Magazine: Dolphins to win the east
I saw that. The article also had a bunch of stats and what teams are doing to find players in the draft dealing with numbers. Very interesting read.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:42 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Peter King thinks pats win SuperBowl? They may still be really good, but they didn't improve the team, if anything they got worse. Still good, but not SB caliber.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:28 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

rodneyfaile wrote:
Peter King thinks pats win SuperBowl? They may still be really good, but they didn't improve the team, if anything they got worse. Still good, but not SB caliber.

I dont see it either..

Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:36 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Due to budget cuts, ESPN was forced to outsource much of their reporting..............

Hoki Dumbassheet "Lead NFL Analyst for The AFC"

Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:52 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Has Peter King missed the QB mess the Bills have?

Didn't the Bills just sign Matt Leinart, give him time in a preseason game and then cut him? This is Leinart, the former first round pick.

Isn't their starting QB going to be an undrafted guy who had a losing record in college?

Buffalo has some nice talent, but they have some major holes as well.

They are not a better team than the Dolphins.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:09 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

EJ Manuel is starting week 1.

Manuel is going to be a bad QB his whole career. I can't wait to see him play as a rookie after missing most of the Pre Season hurt.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:17 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I cannot wait for the day that Miami takes care of business again and wins the AFC East.

Proof will be in their play, so let's hope for a strong season and quiet the Peter King's and Heath Evan's of the world's predictions for the fins.

I think Miami has every opportunity to finally start turning the corner this season.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:42 am

Phins Rock wrote:

Manuel is going to be a bad QB his whole career. I can't wait to see him play as a rookie after missing most of the Pre Season hurt.

They'll go to CJ Spiller a lot.

Glad he is on most of my fantasy teams.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:12 am

rodneyfaile wrote:

I agree, that team is an Amendola injury away from 9-7

Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:20 pm
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Phins Rock wrote:

I watched him in one preseason game and he pretty much tore it up. I was impressed with his decisions as much as his ability. Preseason isn't a real test but I think he has ability to run and throw and makes good decisions with the ball. That's a good start.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:40 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

They'll go to CJ Spiller a lot.

Glad he is on most of my fantasy teams.

I love CJ Spiller, Clemson fan, but I think they are going to run him into the ground. I don't think he takes that kind of workload and makes all 16 games.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:18 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

I watched him in one preseason game and he pretty much tore it up. I was impressed with his decisions as much as his ability. Preseason isn't a real test but I think he has ability to run and throw and makes good decisions with the ball. That's a good start.

He wasn't even a good college QB. He doesn't possess a consistent bone in his body. Beating the Bills will be as simple as stacking the box with 8 to stuff CJ Spiller and dare EJ Manuel to beat you through the air. The Bills will be lucky to win 5 games this year.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:15 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

rodneyfaile wrote:

Even without improving the team and the whole Hernandez mess, I think you still have to put them in the SB contenders category. The AFC is down right now. Other than the Denver Broncos, who scares you in this conference? The way I see it, it's Denver, then everyone else.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:02 am
Profile WWW

cspooner13 wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

Even without improving the team and the whole Hernandez mess, I think you still have to put them in the SB contenders category. The AFC is down right now. Other than the Denver Broncos, who scares you in this conference? The way I see it, it's Denver, then everyone else.

Houston is a pretty scary, well-rounded team. Excellent running game, excellent passing game, very stout defense.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:10 am
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Broncos are again the most over rated team in the NFL. Yes they have Peyton and crew who are going to put up points but their best defensive guy just got suspended for 6 games. Those 18 sacks probably came because of juicing. Champ Bailey is still starting and should've retired or bulked up to move to strong safety because he has no wheels left. I expect Baltimore to come in and beat them again tonight.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:13 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

On the surface I would agree, but Houston has a tendency to disappoint.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:14 am
Profile WWW

cspooner13 wrote:
On the surface I would agree, but Houston has a tendency to disappoint.

Ok... in 2011 they trashed the Bengals in the playoffs and lost a close game to the Ravens in the divisional playoffs.

Last year they beat Cinci again and lost to the Patriots.

I guess we would be disappointed in getting to the 2nd round of the playoffs around here...

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:26 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Our team has not been expected to be a contender. If we got to the second round, we'd all be thrilled. For the Texans, expectations have been higher, and they've yet to meet them

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:29 am
Profile WWW

cspooner13 wrote:
Our team has not been expected to be a contender. If we got to the second round, we'd all be thrilled. For the Texans, expectations have been higher, and they've yet to meet them

So losing to well-established, elite teams that have played in or won Superbowls recently is a sign of a team that disappoints?

That's an interesting perspective...

If they had lost to the Bengals in round 1, that'd be a disappointment.

Playing competitive games against the Pats or Ravens in round 2 is a sign of progress...

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:34 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Difference of opinion.

On a different note, Skip Bayless is on First Take saying that the Pats will go at least 13-3, and that he may be being conservative.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:36 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

And Stephen A. Smith agrees with him

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:39 am
Profile WWW

All I can say is I hope we are "disappointing" in a couple of years. I'd love to be losing close games in the divisional round rather than talking draft as soon as the regular season ends.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:50 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
All I can say is I hope we are "disappointing" in a couple of years. I'd love to be losing close games in the divisional round rather than talking draft as soon as the regular season ends.

Something we agree on

Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:04 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:

So losing to well-established, elite teams that have played in or won Superbowls recently is a sign of a team that disappoints?

That's an interesting perspective...

If they had lost to the Bengals in round 1, that'd be a disappointment.

Playing competitive games against the Pats or Ravens in round 2 is a sign of progress...

An even more interesting perspective is calling a 41-28 rout a competitive game.

Houston has been an all around disappointment in the playoffs the past two seasons. All they've shown to do is get across an inexperienced year 2 Bengals team. That impresses you? Their defense has given up huge numbers the past two post seasons. Far from impressive, and underachieving.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:03 pm

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
An even more interesting perspective is calling a 41-28 rout a competitive game.

Not as interesting as calling a 13 point win a rout.

I guess you have low standards as far as what a rout is. It was a 4 point game at the half and a 10 point game with 5 minutes left.

41-10 would qualify as a rout, not 41-28.

Quote:
Houston has been an all around disappointment in the playoffs the past two seasons. All they've shown to do is get across an inexperienced year 2 Bengals team. That impresses you? Their defense has given up huge numbers the past two post seasons. Far from impressive, and underachieving.

This was a team that made the playoffs for the first time in 2011. Prior to that, they had never made the playoffs. They went from 6-10 in 2010 to 10-6 in 2011 and 12-4 in 2012.

Yes, I am impressed with that. That is a very good turnaround.

I suppose if the Dolphins went from a perpetual 6-10 or 7-9 team to a 12-4 team making it to the 2nd round of the playoffs two years in a row, you would yawn and fall asleep.

Talk about a lack of perspective...

Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:22 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
Yes, I am impressed with that. That is a very good turnaround.

I suppose if the Dolphins went from a perpetual 6-10 or 7-9 team to a 12-4 team making it to the 2nd round of the playoffs two years in a row, you would yawn and fall asleep.

Talk about a lack of perspective...

If your perspective was true, their head coach Gary Kubiak wouldn't be on the "hot seat". They have blown in the playoffs, they have been regular season warriors. Again, I ask you. If they were so impressive, why would their head coach be under the amount of pressure Kubiak is?

Their own management knows they have been underwhelming in the postseason under him, I would be to if I had all that talent that amounted to nothing superior than beating a young Bengals team, who I admit are and will be a much formidable opponent this season than the last two.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:21 pm

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
If your perspective was true, their head coach Gary Kubiak wouldn't be on the "hot seat". They have blown in the playoffs, they have been regular season warriors. Again, I ask you. If they were so impressive, why would their head coach be under the amount of pressure Kubiak is?

Just because the head coach is on the "hot seat" with the owner, if he actually is on the hot seat as you claim, doesn't mean the owner is right to put him on the hot seat.

Your whole premise is based on the owner being right. Owners are not infallible, so that's a pretty flimsy premise.

The bottom line is, going from 6-10 to 12-4 in two years is a remarkable turnaround.

But based on your position, I am guessing you would not be impressed if the Dolphins are 12-4 and in the second round of the playoffs one year from now...

Again, lack of perspective.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:42 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
But based on your position, I am guessing you would not be impressed if the Dolphins are 12-4 and in the second round of the playoffs one year from now...

Again, lack of perspective.

You know that is not the situation with us whatsoever. They are a veteran team, they have expectations with all the talent and their current coaching staff. We are the polar opposite of what they are, unproven, and primarily an extremely young team.

If three years down the road, if we're accomplishing things like 12-4 seasons, I would be very disappointed if we lost in the fashion as they have after beating an inferior Bengals team twice.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:07 pm

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
You know that is not the situation with us whatsoever.

Uh.... two seasons ago they have NEVER even made the playoffs.

Still lacking that perspective thing... keep looking though.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:07 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
Uh.... two seasons ago they have NEVER even made the playoffs.

Still lacking that perspective thing... keep looking though.

Cool story bro, I think you've mentioned that a few times as if repeating it over again is going to strengthen what had already been said before.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:13 pm

the problem with the Texans is that they took forever to get over the hump even when people kept predicting playoffs for them, that by the time they got there........they became old. They let Andre Johnson get old, Owen Daniels too, even Shaub is now past his prime.

Now Foster is breaking down after so many carries, They have an elite defense that for some reason does not play elite in big games. I believe it was the Packer and Patriot games where they just got rocked.
The Minnesota blowout was a headscratcher too. Shaub just isn't in the same class with Brady, Rodgers, Ryan, Luck, Brees, etc. and that holds them back. I hope one day we can mention Tannehill in that class.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:33 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
the problem with the Texans is that they took forever to get over the hump even when people kept predicting playoffs for them, that by the time they got there........they became old. They let Andre Johnson get old, Owen Daniels too, even Shaub is now past his prime.

Now Foster is breaking down after so many carries, They have an elite defense that for some reason does not play elite in big games. I believe it was the Packer and Patriot games where they just got rocked.
The Minnesota blowout was a headscratcher too. Shaub just isn't in the same class with Brady, Rodgers, Ryan, Luck, Brees, etc. and that holds them back. I hope one day we can mention Tannehill in that class.

I wouldn't put Luck in that category quite yet

Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:30 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Peter King wrote:
AFC EAST
1. Patriots (12–4)
2. Bills (7–9)
3. Dolphins (6–10)
4. Jets (3–13)

This is ridiculous. I see the Patriots more at 10-6.

The Bills at 7-9? CJ Spiller can't play all the positions. He's on crack here.

The Dolphins falling from 7-9 (almost were a 9-7 team last year) and improve the WR, DL, CB, and LB positions and they lose ground in a putrid division? Tannehill will only get better. How much we don't know, but as a rookie he led us to 7 games. I don't get it at all.

He got the Jets right. Rex Ryan is a good head coach, but his GMs have sobotaged him. They may win 4 or 5 games, but it depends on the development of rookie Geno Smith who is up and down.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:06 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
Peter King has the Patriots at 12-4 and defeating the Seahawks in the Super Bowl. The Dolphins were picked third in the AFC East at 6-10, behind the Patriots and Bills (7-9). The Jets were picked at 3-13.

Wonder if he wants to change his prediction already?

Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:59 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

They just keep beating this drum...This will be the story line all year..Every broadcast :hithead:

What is not reported is that we would have had to give that money to guys that were not worth it..So we replaced them in most cases for less money..The Dolphins had to spend that money,just not on Long Dansby Smith etc.
Nothing close to what Philly did.

Quote:
4. The Big Money Bowl: The Miami Dolphins invested $146 million in contracts during the unrestricted free-agency period. The Indianapolis Colts wagered $132 million. Sunday's meeting will determine which team made the best investments. Free agency can be a blessing and a curse. The blessing is spending money to fix roster problems. The curse is what it can do in the locker room, and the Dolphins are showing cracks of potential problems. Defensive tackle Paul Soliai isn't happy that the team has him only on a one-year contract. Franchise franchise-tag player Randy Starks is unhappy that the coaching staff has him as the No. 3 defensive tackle. Wide receiver Mike Wallace -- the Dolphins' $12 million-a-year deep threat -- wasn't happy getting only one catch for 15 yards in the opener. If things don't calm down, the Dolphins could be reliving the Dream Team problems of the 2011 Philadelphia Eagles. Low-priced veteran starters felt as though they weren't getting their fair share when outsiders came in with big contracts. The Eagles faded. The only way to make this work is to win. That's where the Colts have the better feel. There doesn't appear to be similar jealousies. And they went to the playoffs last year. It's vital that the Dolphins win this game. They have Atlanta, New Orleans and Baltimore coming up in their next three games. If the team starts 2-3 or 1-4, the Dolphins and their locker room could be in trouble.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/1st ... n-first-10

Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]