View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Dolphins Blocking 
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Dolphins Blocking
Tackle Position:

Jonathan Martin got a positive grade as a pass protector with a 0.6. He did allow 1 sack, 1 hit and 3 hurries, so there is still work to be done. As a run blocker, he had a -2.4 grade. There's A LOT of work to be done there. He had a -1.3 overall grade.

Tyson Clabo was worse. As a pass protector, he had a -0.4 grade, with 1 sack and 3 hurries allowed. As a run blocker, he was pretty bad with a -4.4 grade. He had a -4.3 grade.

Guard Position:

Richie Incognito had a 0.8 grade as a pass blocker, but allowed on sack. However, he allowed no hits or hurries. As a pass blocker, he had a 0.8 grade. As a run blocker, he had a -0.9 grade. Overall grade of 0.2.

John Jerry had a -0.2 pass block, allowing 1 sack and 3 hurries. As a run blocker he had a -0.9. Overall of -0.8.

Center:

Mike Pouncey had a very good game as a pass blocker with a 1.2, allowing one hit. But as a run blocker, he had a -2.1. His overall was -0.7.

So basically, every offensive lineman had a negative grade except Richie Incognito. The left side of the line, from center to tackle, did a decent job of pass protection, but the right side graded out negative. The entire offensive line did a poor job of run blocking, which explains why Lamar Miller and Daniel Thomas had nowhere to run. The offensive line needs to get a hat on a hat to give their running backs a chance.

Tight End

Michael Egnew played 21 snaps at tight end. He had a 0.1 as a pass blocker and a 0.0 as a run blocker.

Dion Sims played 15 snaps, also with a 0.1 pass block, but with a -0.5 run block.

Fullback

Tyler Clutts only played 6 snaps. He has 0s across the board.

Charles Clay played 64 snaps and while he had a positive game as a pass catcher (1.1, caught 100% of his targets, 31 yards after catch), his blocking was pretty bad with a-1.8 overall.

So there you have it folks, a big reason the Dolphins running game failed miserably is because the offensive line, tight ends and fullbacks simply did a poor job of performing the most basic of functions - blocking.

They all have to improve and improve fast.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:49 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Post Re: Dolphins Blocking
& here I was just hoping the Browns D was special that day . .

We're gonna need to get much more creative to involve our RBs until a solution can be found at the right side

Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:05 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

No doubt the offensive line was atrocious Sunday, but that doesn't negate the fact that there were definitely plays left out on the field by Lamar Miller. He had no help from his line, but definitely could have made out better on the ground as well. I was disappointed in both aspects of the run game.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:03 am

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
No doubt the offensive line was atrocious Sunday, but that doesn't negate the fact that there were definitely plays left out on the field by Lamar Miller. He had no help from his line, but definitely could have made out better on the ground as well. I was disappointed in both aspects of the run game.

Maybe, but I am not sure I agree.

It is hard to do anything when you've got two defenders meeting you behind the line of scrimmage on virtually every play.

This isn't a case where one or two guys were doing a poor job of run blocking. The entire offensive line as a unit graded negative on run blocking and by a lot.

I am not sure it is realistic to expect a running back to do much running if every single blocker is failing at their job.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:15 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Lamar Miller - overall -3.0; -1.6 rush grade; -1.1 pass block

Daniel Thomas - overall -0.1; -0.5 rush grade; 0.6 pass block

The Phins as a whole had 1.5 grade in pass block and -13.0 in run block.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:09 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:

It is hard to do anything when you've got two defenders meeting you behind the line of scrimmage on virtually every play.

This isn't a case where one or two guys were doing a poor job of run blocking. The entire offensive line as a unit graded negative on run blocking and by a lot.

I am not sure it is realistic to expect a running back to do much running if every single blocker is failing at their job.

Rich you're right on this one, Miller had 2 guys up his skirt from the word hike every time he touched the ball. Miller has ability as a zone cut runner. Line has to be way beter than what they showed.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:38 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:

I'm not talking about a 100 yard game, he definitely could have shed a few tackles out there.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:46 pm

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
I'm not talking about a 100 yard game, he definitely could have shed a few tackles out there.

He had 10 carries... is it realistic to expect a running back to "shed a few tackles" on ten carries, most of which you were being met by defensive linemen behind the line of scrimmage?

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:50 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:

He had 10 carries... is it realistic to expect a running back to "shed a few tackles" on ten carries, most of which you were being met by defensive linemen behind the line of scrimmage?

No, perhaps it's not when you're rocking green and orange shades.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:57 pm

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Rich wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:

I'm not sure what this conversation has to do with the Miami Hurricanes colors or shades...

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:

I'm not sure what this conversation has to do with the Miami Hurricanes colors or shades...

Lol, okay so I literally have to spell it out. Lamar Miller.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:08 pm

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Rich wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:

Lol, okay so I literally have to spell it out. Lamar Miller.

I'm fully aware of what you meant with your comment.

My response was intended to let you know that you're off the mark.

I guess I had to spell it out for you...

Do you have any interest in remaining on topic? If not, feel free to move on to the next thread.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:11 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
Do you have any interest in remaining on topic? If not, feel free to move on to the next thread.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]