View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Greg Cote: Miami Dolphins’ win can’t hide several team issue 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Greg Cote: Miami Dolphins’ win can’t hide several team issue
Quote:
BY GREG COTE
gcote@MiamiHerald.com

... Miami also will need more of the tangible, on-field stuff, of course.

It will need better offensive line play.

It will need a running game (because Sunday there was scant evidence to even suggest one).

And it will need a more explosive passing game embodied by Wallace.

That’s what made that little tableau with Diva Mike so telling. It may be portrayed as just raw ego or at least very premature frustration, but it will have served its purpose if it jars the Dolphins and offensive coordinator Mike Sherman into understanding a lot more offense starts with a lot more Wallace.

And that a lot more of both will be needed if Miami hopes to outscore the Colts, Falcons, Saints or Ravens over the next four weeks.

Wallace was not thrown to a single time the entire first half Sunday as Miami trailed 7-6. Magically, a deep pass spiraled his way on the second half’s opening play. The player had made his anger and frustration known in the locker room at halftime, I was told.

Evidently it took a meeting of coaches during the break to figure out that a man you are paying $60 million to be your new offensive star probably ought to be thrown to occasionally.

If it seems as if I am emphasizing shortcomings here despite the win, that is because the Browns are so woeful that the victory is tougher to weigh and judge.

Plenty went right, sure. ...

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/09/09/3 ... rylink=cpy

Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:54 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Re: Greg Cote: Miami Dolphins’ win can’t hide several team issue
Good for him....Sherman better up his game

Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:57 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

NFLJunkie wrote:

There was definitely a different mindset in the second half. The dink and dunk offense in the first half generated 6 points even with the turnovers. Once they opened up the passing game, even if they didn't connect with Wallace, the offense looked like an NFL offense.

How about a friggin' screen to Lamar Miller if you can't break a hole for him? Didn't we have this issue last year with Reggie Bush?

Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:42 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't Clay get his catches from the FB position?

Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:43 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

wallace was wide open in the end zone on one of those goal line plays..i think it may have been the td to clay series...

Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:49 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Big Dave wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

There was definitely a different mindset in the second half. The dink and dunk offense in the first half generated 6 points even with the turnovers. Once they opened up the passing game, even if they didn't connect with Wallace, the offense looked like an NFL offense.

How about a friggin' screen to Lamar Miller if you can't break a hole for him? Didn't we have this issue last year with Reggie Bush?

what this defense can do with a lead...after we got the td's and they could just go after the qb, i almost felt bad for weeden.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:53 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

i almost felt bad for weeden.

I didn't!!!! :pumpiron:

Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:16 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Big Dave wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't Clay get his catches from the FB position?

It was a mix, he had a nice first down catch from the slot, also a couple screens from the FB spot where he leaves his block and is left wide open. He did a nice job catching the ball yesterday, just not expecting big plays from him.

The lack of Wallace is sad, and I dont care about the "decoy" BS, he did nothing for this offense. Look at last years numbers compared to this.
Hartline, Gibson, Clay 2013 = Hartline, Bess, Fasano 2012..

Wallace is not a decoy, he is non existant...

Edit: being Hartline has tied his TD's for 2012 already, should we give Wallace the credit for allowing him to be open?
That was the one play I saw that I can credit the lack of safety help allowing us to get the TD.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:37 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Edit: being Hartline has tied his TD's for 2012 already, should we give Wallace the credit for allowing him to be open

Yes. last year hartline got the double coverage. haden has a history of shutting Wallace down. We won, be happy, that includes you Wallace!!!

Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:42 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Makchell wrote:
Edit: being Hartline has tied his TD's for 2012 already, should we give Wallace the credit for allowing him to be open

Yes. last year hartline got the double coverage. haden has a history of shutting Wallace down. We won, be happy, that includes you Wallace!!!

Haden and a safety shut Wallace down.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:52 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

We're the funniest fans...........we win by 13 on the road and most articles and posts predict our doom. How about focusing on a few positives.

1) The defense played extremely well, Wake was a Demon, DB's are getting interceptions.

2) The coaching staff made the correct halftime adjustments. An ability the Fist Pump Regime could never grasp.

3) Our QB looks more and more like the real deal.

4) Despite lack of plays to Wallace, the rest of the receiving corps including Clay, look quite strong.

5) Finally, the Pats have some real issues, winning the division seems credible.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:03 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

shularino wrote:
We're the funniest fans...........we win by 13 on the road and most articles and posts predict our doom. How about focusing on a few positives.

1) The defense played extremely well, Wake was a Demon, DB's are getting interceptions.

2) The coaching staff made the correct halftime adjustments. An ability the Fist Pump Regime could never grasp.

3) Our QB looks more and more like the real deal.

4) Despite lack of plays to Wallace, the rest of the receiving corps including Clay, look quite strong.

5) Finally, the Pats have some real issues, winning the division seems credible.

Now I love wins, but that doesn mean Im drunk with happiness and do not see what happens during the game. I think being a fan at this level people should be able to constructively critisize the team. I have gone into soo many seasons with the hopes of greatness and sobbed by Nov. So I will keep my aqua & Orange glasses in the drawer...

1. Yes I will agree, Wake is ready to take on the world, and our secondary did a nice job taking the ball away. Actually the entire defense looked great. Not that Clev is a measuring stick tho, and I havent looked but if I was a Browns fan I would be screaming for Turners head on a platter after only 13 rush attempts.

2. Ehh, yeah they made some decent ones, but we were in control in the first half and the second. The thing I noticed was that when it seemed like we had the game Jordan started getting more time in. Which tells me him not playing has little to do with an injury and more to do with him not being ready..

3. He played scared in the first 1/2, when he got called out at half he started tossing it and was way off the mark.. I was not impressed, and I am a big RT supporter. I do like that the game fell soley on his shouldes by default, and he held it together and kept us ahead..

4. Wallace is what he is, but he cant catch bad passes or balls that are not thrown to him

5. NE recievers are not that good, and the old qb's make wr's better did not come true. Needless to say, NE won.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:17 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Big Dave wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

THANK YOU!

This OC's dated mindset is limiting this team's talent & crippling his QB. The run plays were atrocious, & dominated by the Browns defense, so why aren't we prepared to work around that by now?

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:25 am

Big Dave wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

:awe: Yeap..the one screen they ran was to Thomas who couldn't beat the LB through the one hole. Had that been Miller...he would've gotten at least 10yds.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:41 am

Kev1321 wrote:
wallace was wide open in the end zone on one of those goal line plays..i think it may have been the td to clay series...

Yeah, I remember a play where I saw a Dolphin streaking across the endline with no one in the same zip code.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:42 am

Quote:
I would be screaming for Turners head on a platter after only 13 rush attempts.

I went on the Browns thread before the game and said "if the passing game is working, he'll run it and if the running game is working, he'll throw it".... truer words have never been spoken....lol. I thought after that opening drive Richardson was going to have a 200yd day. Miami started cheating safeties to stop it and Turner went to the pass on first down and the rest is history.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:47 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
:awe: Yeap..the one screen they ran was to Thomas who couldn't beat the LB through the one hole. Had that been Miller...he would've gotten at least 10yds.

If we rarely ran screens to Bush, what makes people think doing it with Lamar Miller will suddenly become a regular occurrence? LOL

Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]