View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Official: Fins at Browns picks 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Official: Fins at Browns picks
jammer wrote:
Couldn't agree more. Bess is pretty decent in space and has solid hands, but the guy isn't going to outrun defenders or win jump balls. You have that ability with Gibson which should make a difference in the Red Zone.

Gibson won't "outrun" anyone. He makes a living in getting to spots and making athletic plays on the ball.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:23 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
jammer wrote:
Couldn't agree more. Bess is pretty decent in space and has solid hands, but the guy isn't going to outrun defenders or win jump balls. You have that ability with Gibson which should make a difference in the Red Zone.

Gibson won't "outrun" anyone. He makes a living in getting to spots and making athletic plays on the ball.

Pretty certain I've seen a few highlights of Gibson beating defenders deep. Not saying he's Wallace or even Hartline, but he can do more than simply get open on a short route and turn it up field. I believe this is his first time actually manning the slot role.

Overall point is I think he can do more than Bess. Just needs to show his hands are as consistent for it to be an official upgrade.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Pretty certain I've seen a few highlights of Gibson beating defenders deep. Not saying he's Wallace or even Hartline, but he can do more than simply get open on a short route and turn it up field. I believe this is his first time actually manning the slot role.

Overall point is I think he can do more than Bess. Just needs to show his hands are as consistent for it to be an official upgrade.

Gibson ran a 4.59 and Bess ran a 4.64. Neither rarely get behind a defense.

Look at their splits last year ....

Gibson: 2 rec, 58 yards, 1 TD on anything over 20 yards
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/bra ... don-gibson

Bess: 2 rec, 67 yards, 0 TD on anything over 20 yards
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/dav ... avone-bess

Bess still is 20 times better as a pure slot receiver than Gibson at this point in their respective careers. However, Gibson is the more athletic of the two in terms of going, getting the ball, and obviously more familiar with playing outside.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:45 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:
Finhead34 wrote:
I think the red zone production alone from Gibson will help us forget about Davone Bess.

Bess was very good in between the 30's but Gibson IMO is an improvement. Proof will now show in his play.

Bess is a bad fit in Norv's vertical offense. I've read that he won't be used heavily. Norv wants guys like Gordon and benjamin who make plays downfield. Even Little is a bad fit.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:47 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

Truth

Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:49 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Davone had his limitations, but to say Gibson is going to be better is beyond homer. Davone was absolute money on 3rd down. That presence is going to be missed, especially now with Keller out.

Gibson was St. Louis' 4th WR on a bad receiver group, and they had very little interest in bringing him back.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:04 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
Davone had his limitations, but to say Gibson is going to be better is beyond homer. Davone was absolute money on 3rd down. That presence is going to be missed, especially now with Keller out.

Gibson was St. Louis' 4th WR on a bad receiver group, and they had very little interest in bringing him back.

As I said, I don't know if Gibson will have Bess's reliable hands, but his ability to run multiple routes will open up things for others. That is not saying he is better, he can just offer more for this offense.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:13 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Phins Rock wrote:
Gibson was St. Louis' 4th WR

That's so interesting because he started 13 games for them. I suppose the Rams base offense is a 4WR offense. Funny, I don't remember seeing that from them but I guess it's true if you say he was their 4th WR but started 13 games.

Also pretty astounding that as a 4th WR, he was 2nd on the team in catches, 2nd on the team in yards and first on the team in touchdowns.

He must have been an amazing 4th WR.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:16 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

That's so interesting because he started 13 games for them. I suppose the Rams base offense is a 4WR offense. Funny, I don't remember seeing that from them but I guess it's true if you say he was their 4th WR but started 13 games.

Also pretty astounding that as a 4th WR, he was 2nd on the team in catches, 2nd on the team in yards and first on the team in touchdowns.

Rich, Amendola got hurt and he replaced him.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:31 am

Rock Sexton wrote:
Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Rich, Amendola got hurt and he replaced him.

Amendola played in 11 games and started 8, so the math isn't adding up.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:39 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

I vaguely remember it not being only Amendola could be wrong though. I need to go look it up. I just remember the Gibson thing because of fantasy implications last year when he had a good game.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:44 am

Rock Sexton wrote:
Rich wrote:

I vaguely remember it not being only Amendola could be wrong though. I need to go look it up. I just remember the Gibson thing because of fantasy implications last year when he had a good game.

They could have started some games with 3WR sets.

That being said, Amendola is a slot receiver and Gibson lined up on the outside for the Rams. And by no means was he the Rams 4th WR as Phins Rock claimed.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:45 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
They could have started some games with 3WR sets.

That being said, Amendola is a slot receiver and Gibson lined up on the outside for the Rams. And by no means was he the Rams 4th WR as Phins Rock claimed.

I'm with you on that one. No way with that O-line did the Rams predominantly run 4WR sets.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:51 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

:grin: I just love all the willy nilly Bess love around here. Because his massive production is just so irreplaceable

Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
:grin: I just love all the willy nilly Bess love around here. Because his massive production is just so irreplaceable

Just like I love the naive dismissal. You sit there and bark about Gibson's potential in this offense with the new pieces and yet Bess couldn't possibly improve under it too right?

Nobody ever claimed Bess to be a world-beater, but considering the team circumstances that guy was a rock. He would've likely been 1,000 yard receiver along with Hartline last year if the fractured vertebrae in his lower back hadn't happened. In the Sparano regime he had to put up with an offense that put everyone to sleep and when they passed the ball they forced fed the beast Marshall.

Bess was as consistent/dependable as they come for his position, not to mention excellent at getting first downs because of his route running and quick hips.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:50 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I miss Fasano more than I miss Bess.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:52 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
I miss Fasano more than I miss Bess.

I hate not having that guy.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:52 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Here's some more info on the Browns. The Browns add all these rookies to their roster, yet they are picked to win this game by most of the ESPN analysts. I don't get it.

Quote:
Browns have nine undrafted rookies entering Week One

At present, 27 of the Cleveland Browns’ 53 roster spots belong to rookies, second-year players and one first-year pro.

One-third of those players are undrafted rookies: defensive back Josh Aubrey (formerly of Stephen F. Austin), tight end MarQueis Gray (Minnesota), linebacker Paul Hazel (Western Michigan), running back Dennis Johnson (Arkansas), offensive lineman Patrick Lewis (Texas A&M), linebacker Brandon Magee (Arizona State), linebacker Eric Martin (Nebraska), tight end Keavon Milton (Louisiana-Monroe) and offensive lineman Martin Wallace (Temple).

The Browns acquired seven of the rookies on waivers. For example, Gray was let go by San Francisco in the cut down to 53 players, while Johnson was waived by Houston.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -week-one/

Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:48 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I really don't get where all this Cleveland love is coming from.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:07 am
Profile WWW

I really do not see this game being close.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:47 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

cspooner13 wrote:
I really don't get where all this Cleveland love is coming from.

All 9 of CBS Sports picked the Brownies. Amazing.

No big deal. I think being picked as the underdog will put a chip our shoulders due to the lack of respect.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:02 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Its one thing when the Eagles spent a ton of money a couple years to build a 'dream team' defense & they didn't feel like they needed to try because they assumed their talent would translate. Its quite another situation entirely when the Dolphins made necessary upgrades at WR, TE (yes Keller would've been), LBs, DB (I believe Grimes will be better than Smith), & still have to rely on each other to succeed.

I think the "experts" have have misconstrued their logic based on history . . . . Or at least thats the case I'm hoping for

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:12 am

Of most of our games this season while en route to our 13-3 record , this one should be one of the easy ones. I think perception by the so called experts is that other teams spent wisely & upgraded at key needs while the Dolphins just spent unwisely because of a need now to win with a GM who is on the so called hot seat.
Well I think they are wrong. This team is the real deal , especially at the QB position.
I hope.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:20 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Sapp and Irvin love the Dolphins, both just picked them. Hey Rock, Sapp just yelled Aquafresh! Ha! He thinks they look like toothpaste too.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:51 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

phinsfansc wrote:
Miami 20-10

Pretty close!

Rich wrote:
Dolphins 23
Browns 13

Also pretty close!

So what's next weeks score?

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:25 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
Sapp and Irvin love the Dolphins, both just picked them. Hey Rock, Sapp just yelled Aquafresh! Ha! He thinks they look like toothpaste too.

I laughed when somebody at the bar asked me today why I wasn't wearing the new toothpaste logo.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2