View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Dolphins sign OG Danny Watkins, waive Josh Samuda 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Dolphins sign OG Danny Watkins, waive Josh Samuda
The Miami Dolphins roster continues to evolve as the season opener approaches, and Tuesday's alteration centers around the interior of the offensive line.

The Dolphins signed offensive guard Danny Watkins, who was released by the Philadelphia Eagles on Saturday. To make room for Watkins Miami released Josh Samuda, a former Hollywoods Hills standout who make the team as an undrafted rookie last season.

Samuda has been used as the Dolphins' backup center and guard, but failed to impress in his three starts at right guard during the preseason.

The Eagles took Watkins with the 23rd overall pick in the 2011 NFL draft, but this first-rounder fell out of favor in Chip Kelly's new uptempo offense.

The Dolphins worked Watkins out on Monday and came to terms on a deal that makes him the ninth offensive lineman on the team, and the second new addition since the formation of the 53-man roster, joining fullback Tyler Clutts.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 4755.story

Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:31 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Dolphins sign OG Danny Watkins, waive Josh Samuda
Wow...Samuda sucked bad but they seemed committed to him..May Wadtkins can turn it around....He almost has to be better than Samuda on pedigree alone

Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:36 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Samuda seemed to be given every opportunity to be a big part of Miami's line, but apparently didn't own up to it from his end.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:07 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I was reading that Watkins is a natural left guard but that he's been a right guard in Philly from the beginning. I didn't think it was that big of a transition, but maybe the Dolphins can find a way to get him extensive work at that LG position and move Incognito to RG if Jerry struggles.

Worst case, a solid depth signing that gives the team a guy with some NFL starts under his belt.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:21 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Everyone is down on Jerry but the line has done well with him in there. As a matter of fact, in the 3rd preseason game, the right side didn't even surrender a pressure with him in there. Most everything done now is merely depth.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:54 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

NFLJunkie wrote:
Everyone is down on Jerry but the line has done well with him in there. As a matter of fact, in the 3rd preseason game, the right side didn't even surrender a pressure with him in there. Most everything done now is merely depth.

I agree... Jerry's return is pivotal.

With a line of Martin, Incognito, Pouncey, Jerry, Clabo... they're really not that bad.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:03 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

MNDolfan wrote:
Worst case, a solid depth signing that gives the team a guy with some NFL starts under his belt.

My thoughts exactly.

At least I surely hope they are not still toying with position changes a few days before kick off.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:20 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

IamPZ wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

I agree... Jerry's return is pivotal.

With a line of Martin, Incognito, Pouncey, Jerry, Clabo... they're really not that bad.

Jerry is young and getting better every year..Every year all we hear is he is losing his spot and he wins it out of camp..

Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:30 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Roto

Quote:
Watkins was cut by the Eagles on Saturday, taking rumors that he doesn't like to play football with him. It ended a two-year run that saw the former Canadian fireman go from "safe" first-round pick to inept backup. Watkins can only play guard, so he won't be able to help the Dolphins if Jonathan Martin faceplants. The deal is likely for the third-year minimum of $555,000.

Source:
Adam Beasley on Twitter

The rest of the world

Quote:
Danny Watkins is 28 years old and has played in the NFL since 2011, but he felt like a rookie Tuesday.

After signing with the Dolphins Tuesday morning and going through his first practice with his new team, Watkins joked that he was volunteering to do tasks normally reserved for rookies.

“They were like, man, you’re not a rookie, you’re not going to do that,” Watkins said. “I’m not any different than anyone else here. I’m eager to learn and help and do whatever I’ve got to do.

“Coming in here and having a fresh start, that’s huge. It’s the most exciting time in my life again. I’ve had a grin on my face since this morning. It’s been great.”

The Canadian-born Watkins got a late start as a football player and got drafted out of Baylor as a 26-year old. He went on to start 18 of his 23 games with the Eagles over the past two seasons before being released this summer.

“It’s huge for me,” Watkins said. “It’s a very exciting time for me and my family and just speaking with the guys, you can tell it’s a very coordinate bunch of guys here. And they’re excited to win. And it’s really important to me to be part of something like that.

“I want to contribute and just do the best I can and start learning the offense and just push my teammates and have them push me and see what happens.”
http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/article-1/NOTEBOOK-Watkins-Looking-For-A-Fresh-Start-Other-Notes/78d8d9ab-377e-44df-81ea-48d018b433d5

I just don't see this bad press the Dolphins are getting...hmmmmm

Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Kev1321 wrote:

Ohhhhmergerd, conspiracy!

Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:31 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Translation:

Quote:
Watkins was cut by the Eagles on Saturday, taking rumors that (we are starting here and now) he doesn't like to play football with him.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:21 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

Ohhhhmergerd, conspiracy!

I just don't see it. Everyone else does but i...... just don't see it! :yawn:

Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:43 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

degs wrote:
Translation:

Quote:
Watkins was cut by the Eagles on Saturday, taking rumors that (we are starting here and now) he doesn't like to play football with him.

:)

Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:45 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Watkins, the No. 23 overall selection in the 2011 NFL Draft, left Philly amid whispers that his heart never was into the game. Watkins never has stated that publicly, but his desire to be a firefighter -- maybe more than a football player -- is well-documented.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... r-contract

Quote:
If you read what Eagles GM Howard Roseman said about Watkins in the last post you know it's quite an indictment when an NFL GM says a player has shown little toughness.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
But the media in Philly also questioned his dedication and passion. It is no secret Watkins' first love is firefighting. He came to the United States to become a fireman, not a football player.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Kev1321 wrote:
Roto

Quote:
Watkins was cut by the Eagles on Saturday, taking rumors that he doesn't like to play football with him. It ended a two-year run that saw the former Canadian fireman go from "safe" first-round pick to inept backup. Watkins can only play guard, so he won't be able to help the Dolphins if Jonathan Martin faceplants. The deal is likely for the third-year minimum of $555,000.

Source:
Adam Beasley on Twitter

The rest of the world

Quote:
Danny Watkins is 28 years old and has played in the NFL since 2011, but he felt like a rookie Tuesday.

After signing with the Dolphins Tuesday morning and going through his first practice with his new team, Watkins joked that he was volunteering to do tasks normally reserved for rookies.

“They were like, man, you’re not a rookie, you’re not going to do that,” Watkins said. “I’m not any different than anyone else here. I’m eager to learn and help and do whatever I’ve got to do.

“Coming in here and having a fresh start, that’s huge. It’s the most exciting time in my life again. I’ve had a grin on my face since this morning. It’s been great.”

The Canadian-born Watkins got a late start as a football player and got drafted out of Baylor as a 26-year old. He went on to start 18 of his 23 games with the Eagles over the past two seasons before being released this summer.

“It’s huge for me,” Watkins said. “It’s a very exciting time for me and my family and just speaking with the guys, you can tell it’s a very coordinate bunch of guys here. And they’re excited to win. And it’s really important to me to be part of something like that.

“I want to contribute and just do the best I can and start learning the offense and just push my teammates and have them push me and see what happens.”
http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/article-1/NOTEBOOK-Watkins-Looking-For-A-Fresh-Start-Other-Notes/78d8d9ab-377e-44df-81ea-48d018b433d5

lol the rest of the world is a web site with the address miamidolphins.com ?

Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]