All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:31 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:57 am
Posts: 5601
Location: Houston, Texas
The Miami Dolphins roster continues to evolve as the season opener approaches, and Tuesday's alteration centers around the interior of the offensive line.

The Dolphins signed offensive guard Danny Watkins, who was released by the Philadelphia Eagles on Saturday. To make room for Watkins Miami released Josh Samuda, a former Hollywoods Hills standout who make the team as an undrafted rookie last season.

Samuda has been used as the Dolphins' backup center and guard, but failed to impress in his three starts at right guard during the preseason.

The Eagles took Watkins with the 23rd overall pick in the 2011 NFL draft, but this first-rounder fell out of favor in Chip Kelly's new uptempo offense.

The Dolphins worked Watkins out on Monday and came to terms on a deal that makes him the ninth offensive lineman on the team, and the second new addition since the formation of the 53-man roster, joining fullback Tyler Clutts.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 4755.story


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:36 am 
Online
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 4730
Location: MA.
Wow...Samuda sucked bad but they seemed committed to him..May Wadtkins can turn it around....He almost has to be better than Samuda on pedigree alone


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:07 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:57 am
Posts: 5601
Location: Houston, Texas
Samuda seemed to be given every opportunity to be a big part of Miami's line, but apparently didn't own up to it from his end.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:21 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:41 pm
Posts: 599
I was reading that Watkins is a natural left guard but that he's been a right guard in Philly from the beginning. I didn't think it was that big of a transition, but maybe the Dolphins can find a way to get him extensive work at that LG position and move Incognito to RG if Jerry struggles.

Worst case, a solid depth signing that gives the team a guy with some NFL starts under his belt.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:54 am 
Offline
2016 Thursday Blog Writer
2016 Thursday Blog Writer

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 6719
Everyone is down on Jerry but the line has done well with him in there. As a matter of fact, in the 3rd preseason game, the right side didn't even surrender a pressure with him in there. Most everything done now is merely depth.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:03 pm 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:24 am
Posts: 4104
NFLJunkie wrote:
Everyone is down on Jerry but the line has done well with him in there. As a matter of fact, in the 3rd preseason game, the right side didn't even surrender a pressure with him in there. Most everything done now is merely depth.


I agree... Jerry's return is pivotal.

With a line of Martin, Incognito, Pouncey, Jerry, Clabo... they're really not that bad.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 5402
Location: Wellington, FL
MNDolfan wrote:
Worst case, a solid depth signing that gives the team a guy with some NFL starts under his belt.




My thoughts exactly.

At least I surely hope they are not still toying with position changes a few days before kick off.

_________________
Caution: Reply may contain sarcasm


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:30 pm 
Online
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 4730
Location: MA.
IamPZ wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
Everyone is down on Jerry but the line has done well with him in there. As a matter of fact, in the 3rd preseason game, the right side didn't even surrender a pressure with him in there. Most everything done now is merely depth.


I agree... Jerry's return is pivotal.

With a line of Martin, Incognito, Pouncey, Jerry, Clabo... they're really not that bad.


Jerry is young and getting better every year..Every year all we hear is he is losing his spot and he wins it out of camp..


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:10 pm 
Online
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 4730
Location: MA.
Roto

Quote:
Watkins was cut by the Eagles on Saturday, taking rumors that he doesn't like to play football with him. It ended a two-year run that saw the former Canadian fireman go from "safe" first-round pick to inept backup. Watkins can only play guard, so he won't be able to help the Dolphins if Jonathan Martin faceplants. The deal is likely for the third-year minimum of $555,000.

Source:
Adam Beasley on Twitter




The rest of the world



Quote:
Danny Watkins is 28 years old and has played in the NFL since 2011, but he felt like a rookie Tuesday.

After signing with the Dolphins Tuesday morning and going through his first practice with his new team, Watkins joked that he was volunteering to do tasks normally reserved for rookies.

“They were like, man, you’re not a rookie, you’re not going to do that,” Watkins said. “I’m not any different than anyone else here. I’m eager to learn and help and do whatever I’ve got to do.

“Coming in here and having a fresh start, that’s huge. It’s the most exciting time in my life again. I’ve had a grin on my face since this morning. It’s been great.”
.

The Canadian-born Watkins got a late start as a football player and got drafted out of Baylor as a 26-year old. He went on to start 18 of his 23 games with the Eagles over the past two seasons before being released this summer.

“It’s huge for me,” Watkins said. “It’s a very exciting time for me and my family and just speaking with the guys, you can tell it’s a very coordinate bunch of guys here. And they’re excited to win. And it’s really important to me to be part of something like that.

“I want to contribute and just do the best I can and start learning the offense and just push my teammates and have them push me and see what happens.”
http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/article-1/NOTEBOOK-Watkins-Looking-For-A-Fresh-Start-Other-Notes/78d8d9ab-377e-44df-81ea-48d018b433d5

I just don't see this bad press the Dolphins are getting...hmmmmm


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 6186
Kev1321 wrote:
I just don't see this bad press the Dolphins are getting...hmmmmm


Ohhhhmergerd, conspiracy!

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:21 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 2575
Location: NSW, Australia
Translation:

Quote:
Watkins was cut by the Eagles on Saturday, taking rumors that (we are starting here and now) he doesn't like to play football with him.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:43 pm 
Online
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 4730
Location: MA.
Rock Sexton wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:
I just don't see this bad press the Dolphins are getting...hmmmmm


Ohhhhmergerd, conspiracy!


I just don't see it. Everyone else does but i...... just don't see it! :yawn:


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:45 pm 
Online
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 4730
Location: MA.
degs wrote:
Translation:

Quote:
Watkins was cut by the Eagles on Saturday, taking rumors that (we are starting here and now) he doesn't like to play football with him.



:)


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:03 pm 
Offline
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 4789
Quote:
Watkins, the No. 23 overall selection in the 2011 NFL Draft, left Philly amid whispers that his heart never was into the game. Watkins never has stated that publicly, but his desire to be a firefighter -- maybe more than a football player -- is well-documented.


http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... r-contract

Quote:
If you read what Eagles GM Howard Roseman said about Watkins in the last post you know it's quite an indictment when an NFL GM says a player has shown little toughness.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:06 pm 
Offline
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 4789
Quote:
But the media in Philly also questioned his dedication and passion. It is no secret Watkins' first love is firefighting. He came to the United States to become a fireman, not a football player.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:13 pm 
Offline
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 4789
Kev1321 wrote:
Roto

Quote:
Watkins was cut by the Eagles on Saturday, taking rumors that he doesn't like to play football with him. It ended a two-year run that saw the former Canadian fireman go from "safe" first-round pick to inept backup. Watkins can only play guard, so he won't be able to help the Dolphins if Jonathan Martin faceplants. The deal is likely for the third-year minimum of $555,000.

Source:
Adam Beasley on Twitter




The rest of the world



Quote:
Danny Watkins is 28 years old and has played in the NFL since 2011, but he felt like a rookie Tuesday.

After signing with the Dolphins Tuesday morning and going through his first practice with his new team, Watkins joked that he was volunteering to do tasks normally reserved for rookies.

“They were like, man, you’re not a rookie, you’re not going to do that,” Watkins said. “I’m not any different than anyone else here. I’m eager to learn and help and do whatever I’ve got to do.

“Coming in here and having a fresh start, that’s huge. It’s the most exciting time in my life again. I’ve had a grin on my face since this morning. It’s been great.”
.

The Canadian-born Watkins got a late start as a football player and got drafted out of Baylor as a 26-year old. He went on to start 18 of his 23 games with the Eagles over the past two seasons before being released this summer.

“It’s huge for me,” Watkins said. “It’s a very exciting time for me and my family and just speaking with the guys, you can tell it’s a very coordinate bunch of guys here. And they’re excited to win. And it’s really important to me to be part of something like that.

“I want to contribute and just do the best I can and start learning the offense and just push my teammates and have them push me and see what happens.”
http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/article-1/NOTEBOOK-Watkins-Looking-For-A-Fresh-Start-Other-Notes/78d8d9ab-377e-44df-81ea-48d018b433d5

I just don't see this bad press the Dolphins are getting...hmmmmm



lol the rest of the world is a web site with the address miamidolphins.com ?


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DanRambo, Kev1321, TennFinFan13, Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r