View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:36 am



Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ] 
 Bumphis waived 
Author Message
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5121
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Bumphis waived
Quote:
Dolphins waived WR Chad Bumphis.
The Miami Herald reported earlier this month that Bumphis was "making a case" for a roster spot, but five of his nine preseason catches came in the supremely meaningless Hall-of-Fame game. He's a candidate for the practice squad.


Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:04 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 3842
Post Re: Bumphis waived
swerve13 wrote:
Quote:
Dolphins waived WR Chad Bumphis.
The Miami Herald reported earlier this month that Bumphis was "making a case" for a roster spot, but five of his nine preseason catches came in the supremely meaningless Hall-of-Fame game. He's a candidate for the practice squad.

I figured the PS would be where he would end up.


Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:32 pm
Profile
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5121
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Bumphis waived
I would rather they kept him on the roster. He could get poached.


Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:33 pm
Profile
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:24 am
Posts: 3694
Post Re: Bumphis waived
5 of 9 catches in the first preseason game... what exactly are you drooling over swerve?

I thought he looked decent... but when you can't produce against 2nd and 3rd stringers consistently... whats he gonna do against starters?


Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:34 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 5415
Post Re: Bumphis waived
I would rather they kept him on the roster. He could get poached.

Why? Man, these guys get cut for reasons, they aren't that good.


Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:36 pm
Profile
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5121
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Bumphis waived
I disagree. The eye test shows playmaking ability. He's a rookie guys. Geez!


Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:41 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 5415
Post Re: Bumphis waived
I disagree. The eye test shows playmaking ability. He's a rookie guys. Geez!

I guess he failed the dolphins test for playmaking ability, I guess we will see if makes the PS.


Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:42 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 3842
Post Re: Bumphis waived
Makchell wrote:
Why? Man, these guys get cut for reasons, they aren't that good.

Not always true. That is like saying players do not get drafted for a reason, they aren't that good. Then we see UDFA become really good football players.

Players under perform for one team all the time, then move to another & become starters & some time HOFers. Players talent do not match up to the system of the old team.


Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:14 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 5415
Post Re: Bumphis waived
Not always true. That is like saying players do not get drafted for a reason, they aren't that good. Then we see UDFA become really good football players.

Players under perform for one team all the time, then move to another & become starters & some time HOFers. Players talent do not match up to the system of the old team.


For sure, but it's the exception, not the rule.


Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:31 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 3842
Post Re: Bumphis waived
Makchell wrote:

For sure, but it's the exception, not the rule.
Agree, but that is why you have to search the waiver wire.


Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:52 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:05 am
Posts: 863
Location: Mount Vernon, Iowa
Post Re: Bumphis waived
Makchell wrote:
I would rather they kept him on the roster. He could get poached.

Why? Man, these guys get cut for reasons, they aren't that good.


Man, you are really on this "waived players aren't any good" thing, aren't you Mak?

_________________
www.aspoonfulofsports.blogspot.com
www.aspoonfulofsports.com


Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:59 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 5415
Post Re: Bumphis waived
Man, you are really on this "waived players aren't any good" thing, aren't you Mak?

My thoughts are if they are good, they wouldn't be cut. You can find a diamond in the rough but how often does it happen for the Fins? We are constantly turning the bottom of the roster which is good, but then we all drink the koolaid and nothing happens. Binns comes to mind as a recent waiver wire pickup. Dropped catches in game, hurt, gone....again, there was a reason why he was waived. Time will tell though, I'm not too impressed with our WRs so the Broncos guy that Swerve was talking about and Meacham seems like an upgrade he's only 28 yrs old. Swerve also mentioned a TE that has gotten trucked all preseason and Sims has put up better numbers than him....ummm. I'm not a scout though. I hoped I explained my opinion in detail for you....lol, long.


Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:55 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 2625
Location: MA.
Post Re: Bumphis waived
Quote:
Welker, who was not drafted during the 2004 NFL Draft, signed as an undrafted free agent with the San Diego Chargers. Welker made the Chargers out of training camp, but was released after the first game of the season when the Chargers claimed safety Clinton Hart off waivers.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wes_Welker ... nal_career


Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:05 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 5415
Post Re: Bumphis waived
Thanks Kev for proving my point, 9 years ago a waiver wire pick up broke out with Tom Brady. Just like an undrafted FA TE did this preseason with Tom Brady.


Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:23 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5035
Post Re: Bumphis waived
Makchell wrote:
My thoughts are if they are good, they wouldn't be cut. You can find a diamond in the rough but how often does it happen for the Fins? We are constantly turning the bottom of the roster which is good, but then we all drink the koolaid and nothing happens. Binns comes to mind as a recent waiver wire pickup. Dropped catches in game, hurt, gone....again, there was a reason why he was waived. Time will tell though, I'm not too impressed with our WRs so the Broncos guy that Swerve was talking about and Meacham seems like an upgrade he's only 28 yrs old. Swerve also mentioned a TE that has gotten trucked all preseason and Sims has put up better numbers than him....ummm. I'm not a scout though. I hoped I explained my opinion in detail for you....lol, long.


The average fan is simply throwin' darts when they start patrolling the cut to 53. The likelihood of finding contributors is slim unless there's some documented evidence of a numbers game in which the player got the squeeze.

_________________
Image


Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:33 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 5415
Post Re: Bumphis waived
The average fan is simply throwin' darts when they start patrolling the cut to 53. The likelihood of finding contributors is slim unless there's some documented evidence of a numbers game in which the player got the squeeze.

I agree with you, we go through this every year. McNutt was waived last year from the Eagles and now the Fins. These guys just aren't good enough to play in the NFL. I can't Imagine a fan on another website saying "wow, the Fins released Mcnutt and Bumphis they have upside!".


Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:56 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:22 am
Posts: 1449
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Post Re: Bumphis waived
Only have 4 WRs on the roster now.

_________________
You have to do a lot of sucking to end up with a Hickey.


Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:18 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5121
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Bumphis waived
Dphins4me wrote:
Makchell wrote:
Why? Man, these guys get cut for reasons, they aren't that good.

Not always true. That is like saying players do not get drafted for a reason, they aren't that good. Then we see UDFA become really good football players.

Players under perform for one team all the time, then move to another & become starters & some time HOFers. Players talent do not match up to the system of the old team.


people around here cannot grasp that concept.
NFL rosters are too small to keep everyone. There's always talent floating around...especially for a team like us with zero tight end talent and only 4 receivers now. We should also be looking for tackle depth.


Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:06 am
Profile
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5121
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Bumphis waived
Kev1321 wrote:
Quote:
Welker, who was not drafted during the 2004 NFL Draft, signed as an undrafted free agent with the San Diego Chargers. Welker made the Chargers out of training camp, but was released after the first game of the season when the Chargers claimed safety Clinton Hart off waivers.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wes_Welker ... nal_career


same goes for James Harrison, he was cut 3 times.
Jake delhomme, 3 times
Trent Green cut by the Chargers, so was Welker
Our own Kuechenburg and jim Langer were cut, Hall of Famers
Kurt Warner cut by Green Bay
Willie Brown cut by the oilers, went on to 9 pro bowls
Even Johnny Unitis was cut by Pittsburgh.


Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:15 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:05 am
Posts: 863
Location: Mount Vernon, Iowa
Post Re: Bumphis waived
Rock Sexton wrote:
The average fan is simply throwin' darts when they start patrolling the cut to 53. The likelihood of finding contributors is slim unless there's some documented evidence of a numbers game in which the player got the squeeze.


Yes, most of these players deserved to be cut and aren't worth our time. But to make the blanket statement "If they could contribute they wouldn't be cut" is just plain inaccurate.

_________________
www.aspoonfulofsports.blogspot.com
www.aspoonfulofsports.com


Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:27 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:05 am
Posts: 863
Location: Mount Vernon, Iowa
Post Re: Bumphis waived
And for the record, yes, I know you're not the one who said it Rock.

_________________
www.aspoonfulofsports.blogspot.com
www.aspoonfulofsports.com


Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:18 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5121
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Bumphis waived
Quote:
During his senior season, Bumphis caught 58 receptions for 922 yards and 12 touchdowns. His total receiving yards of 2,273 broke the school record. During the East-West Shrine Game in St. Petersburgh, Florida, Bumphis caught four passes for 92 yards and a touchdown, earning him MVP honors.


Quote:
“Bumphis has caught the ball in practice,” Miami Head Coach Joe Philbin said. “You watch the film after the day in practice, the kid gets open, he catches the ball.”

Bumphis has showed excellent skills during training camp – the kind that translate to NFL playing time. Bumphis has the speed to get open and create opportunities, especially downfield. However his height is holding him back. 5’11 is considered small for a wide receiver, and Bumphis will have to continue fighting for opportunities if he wants the coaching staff to forget about his short stature.

His performance is causing many scouts, analysts, and coaches to wonder how they overlooked him before the NFL Draft.
ESPN analyst, James Walker, admitted that he owes Bumphis an apology for not paying attention to his play. “He’s been making plays with regularity in training camp,” Walker posted on his NFL blog. “But I’ve mostly looked the other way.” The days of overlooking Bumphis may be over.


http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/08/19/ ... -in-miami/


Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:07 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5035
Post Re: Bumphis waived
Swerve .... you can quote Philbin all you want, but he rarely (if ever) says anything bad about a player. The fact that he got cut sort've renders any of those quotes moot.

_________________
Image


Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:22 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 2625
Location: MA.
Post Re: Bumphis waived
Rock Sexton wrote:
Makchell wrote:
My thoughts are if they are good, they wouldn't be cut. You can find a diamond in the rough but how often does it happen for the Fins? We are constantly turning the bottom of the roster which is good, but then we all drink the koolaid and nothing happens. Binns comes to mind as a recent waiver wire pickup. Dropped catches in game, hurt, gone....again, there was a reason why he was waived. Time will tell though, I'm not too impressed with our WRs so the Broncos guy that Swerve was talking about and Meacham seems like an upgrade he's only 28 yrs old. Swerve also mentioned a TE that has gotten trucked all preseason and Sims has put up better numbers than him....ummm. I'm not a scout though. I hoped I explained my opinion in detail for you....lol, long.


The average fan is simply throwin' darts when they start patrolling the cut to 53. The likelihood of finding contributors is slim unless there's some documented evidence of a numbers game in which the player got the squeeze.


So true. I remember wanting Aaron Hernandez in the 1st round and he would have been except as you say I didn't have a clue about his baggage as obviously every head coach did. But of coarse the scoundrel that he is...Billycheat can't help himself and sold his sole to the devil once again.

For the most part even you Swerve(the draft guru you are) don't have any idea about these guys work ethic, charactor or how they will handle being handed millions of dollars unless you actually meet and talk to these guys..And even then it's a crap shoot.


Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:03 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 2625
Location: MA.
Post Re: Bumphis waived
cspooner13 wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
The average fan is simply throwin' darts when they start patrolling the cut to 53. The likelihood of finding contributors is slim unless there's some documented evidence of a numbers game in which the player got the squeeze.


Yes, most of these players deserved to be cut and aren't worth our time. But to make the blanket statement "If they could contribute they wouldn't be cut" is just plain inaccurate.


Sometimes just being cut is what turns the light on...Man i wish we had picked up Cris Carter or not cut Anthony Carter


Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:08 am
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 5415
Post Re: Bumphis waived
"If they could contribute they wouldn't be cut" is just plain inaccurate.

If their respected teams cut them, it's totally accurate. That's why they are cut. Maybe some one else can contribute "more" than a particular player that has been cut. Bumphis is cut because the coaches feel like he can't play, contribute, worth it whatever you want to call it. Sure you guys are naming players from years past and you are further proving my point. Appx a dozen players out of thousands dating back to the late 80's regarding Chris Carter? lol Again, YES, you can find gems, mostly you can't. Some of you guys take this stuff so personnel regarding players that you like. Sorry, they are cut for a reason.


Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:23 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 2625
Location: MA.
Post Re: Bumphis waived
Makchell wrote:
"If they could contribute they wouldn't be cut" is just plain inaccurate.

If their respected teams cut them, it's totally accurate. That's why they are cut. Maybe some one else can contribute "more" than a particular player that has been cut. Bumphis is cut because the coaches feel like he can't play, contribute, worth it whatever you want to call it. Sure you guys are naming players from years past and you are further proving my point. Appx a dozen players out of thousands dating back to the late 80's regarding Chris Carter? lol Again, YES, you can find gems, mostly you can't. Some of you guys take this stuff so personnel regarding players that you like. Sorry, they are cut for a reason.


But Ninkovich is like a superstar now :ann0y:


Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:39 am
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 5415
Post Re: Bumphis waived
lol..


Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:43 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 3842
Post Re: Bumphis waived
Kev1321 wrote:

Sometimes just being cut is what turns the light on...Man i wish we had picked up Cris Carter or not cut Anthony Carter

Traded Anthony Carter for a Lber Robert Sendlien & a 2nd Rd pick.


Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:56 am
Profile
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 3551
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Post Re: Bumphis waived
Im sure Jabaar Gaffney is available. He was one of our diamonds in the rough last season that worked out so well.

_________________
Extend Philbin!
Enough already , this is the best regime in the NFL ...by far!!
2014 Lazor Powered... THE MAKING OF A DYNASTY!!


Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:31 am
Profile
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5121
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Bumphis waived
Kev1321 wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
The average fan is simply throwin' darts when they start patrolling the cut to 53. The likelihood of finding contributors is slim unless there's some documented evidence of a numbers game in which the player got the squeeze.


Yes, most of these players deserved to be cut and aren't worth our time. But to make the blanket statement "If they could contribute they wouldn't be cut" is just plain inaccurate.


Sometimes just being cut is what turns the light on...Man i wish we had picked up Cris Carter or not cut Anthony Carter


exactly right Kev, alot of times it becomes motivation.


Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:57 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.