Phinfever.com

Catch the madness!

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Bumphis waived
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:04 pm 
Offline
2016 Draft Analyst
2016 Draft Analyst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 11231
Location: Lancaster, PA
Quote:
Dolphins waived WR Chad Bumphis.
The Miami Herald reported earlier this month that Bumphis was "making a case" for a roster spot, but five of his nine preseason catches came in the supremely meaningless Hall-of-Fame game. He's a candidate for the practice squad.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bumphis waived
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6500
swerve13 wrote:
Quote:
Dolphins waived WR Chad Bumphis.
The Miami Herald reported earlier this month that Bumphis was "making a case" for a roster spot, but five of his nine preseason catches came in the supremely meaningless Hall-of-Fame game. He's a candidate for the practice squad.

I figured the PS would be where he would end up.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bumphis waived
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:33 pm 
Offline
2016 Draft Analyst
2016 Draft Analyst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 11231
Location: Lancaster, PA
I would rather they kept him on the roster. He could get poached.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bumphis waived
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:34 pm 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:24 am
Posts: 4104
5 of 9 catches in the first preseason game... what exactly are you drooling over swerve?

I thought he looked decent... but when you can't produce against 2nd and 3rd stringers consistently... whats he gonna do against starters?


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bumphis waived
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:36 pm 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8225
I would rather they kept him on the roster. He could get poached.

Why? Man, these guys get cut for reasons, they aren't that good.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bumphis waived
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:41 pm 
Offline
2016 Draft Analyst
2016 Draft Analyst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 11231
Location: Lancaster, PA
I disagree. The eye test shows playmaking ability. He's a rookie guys. Geez!


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bumphis waived
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:42 pm 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8225
I disagree. The eye test shows playmaking ability. He's a rookie guys. Geez!

I guess he failed the dolphins test for playmaking ability, I guess we will see if makes the PS.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bumphis waived
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6500
Makchell wrote:
Why? Man, these guys get cut for reasons, they aren't that good.

Not always true. That is like saying players do not get drafted for a reason, they aren't that good. Then we see UDFA become really good football players.

Players under perform for one team all the time, then move to another & become starters & some time HOFers. Players talent do not match up to the system of the old team.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bumphis waived
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:31 pm 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8225
Not always true. That is like saying players do not get drafted for a reason, they aren't that good. Then we see UDFA become really good football players.

Players under perform for one team all the time, then move to another & become starters & some time HOFers. Players talent do not match up to the system of the old team.


For sure, but it's the exception, not the rule.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bumphis waived
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6500
Makchell wrote:

For sure, but it's the exception, not the rule.
Agree, but that is why you have to search the waiver wire.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bumphis waived
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:59 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:05 am
Posts: 863
Location: Mount Vernon, Iowa
Makchell wrote:
I would rather they kept him on the roster. He could get poached.

Why? Man, these guys get cut for reasons, they aren't that good.


Man, you are really on this "waived players aren't any good" thing, aren't you Mak?

_________________
www.aspoonfulofsports.blogspot.com
www.aspoonfulofsports.com


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bumphis waived
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:55 pm 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8225
Man, you are really on this "waived players aren't any good" thing, aren't you Mak?

My thoughts are if they are good, they wouldn't be cut. You can find a diamond in the rough but how often does it happen for the Fins? We are constantly turning the bottom of the roster which is good, but then we all drink the koolaid and nothing happens. Binns comes to mind as a recent waiver wire pickup. Dropped catches in game, hurt, gone....again, there was a reason why he was waived. Time will tell though, I'm not too impressed with our WRs so the Broncos guy that Swerve was talking about and Meacham seems like an upgrade he's only 28 yrs old. Swerve also mentioned a TE that has gotten trucked all preseason and Sims has put up better numbers than him....ummm. I'm not a scout though. I hoped I explained my opinion in detail for you....lol, long.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bumphis waived
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 4647
Location: MA.
Quote:
Welker, who was not drafted during the 2004 NFL Draft, signed as an undrafted free agent with the San Diego Chargers. Welker made the Chargers out of training camp, but was released after the first game of the season when the Chargers claimed safety Clinton Hart off waivers.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wes_Welker ... nal_career


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bumphis waived
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:23 pm 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8225
Thanks Kev for proving my point, 9 years ago a waiver wire pick up broke out with Tom Brady. Just like an undrafted FA TE did this preseason with Tom Brady.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bumphis waived
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 6186
Makchell wrote:
My thoughts are if they are good, they wouldn't be cut. You can find a diamond in the rough but how often does it happen for the Fins? We are constantly turning the bottom of the roster which is good, but then we all drink the koolaid and nothing happens. Binns comes to mind as a recent waiver wire pickup. Dropped catches in game, hurt, gone....again, there was a reason why he was waived. Time will tell though, I'm not too impressed with our WRs so the Broncos guy that Swerve was talking about and Meacham seems like an upgrade he's only 28 yrs old. Swerve also mentioned a TE that has gotten trucked all preseason and Sims has put up better numbers than him....ummm. I'm not a scout though. I hoped I explained my opinion in detail for you....lol, long.


The average fan is simply throwin' darts when they start patrolling the cut to 53. The likelihood of finding contributors is slim unless there's some documented evidence of a numbers game in which the player got the squeeze.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bumphis waived
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:56 pm 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8225
The average fan is simply throwin' darts when they start patrolling the cut to 53. The likelihood of finding contributors is slim unless there's some documented evidence of a numbers game in which the player got the squeeze.

I agree with you, we go through this every year. McNutt was waived last year from the Eagles and now the Fins. These guys just aren't good enough to play in the NFL. I can't Imagine a fan on another website saying "wow, the Fins released Mcnutt and Bumphis they have upside!".


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bumphis waived
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:22 am
Posts: 1480
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Only have 4 WRs on the roster now.

_________________
Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jim Valvano


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bumphis waived
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:06 am 
Offline
2016 Draft Analyst
2016 Draft Analyst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 11231
Location: Lancaster, PA
Dphins4me wrote:
Makchell wrote:
Why? Man, these guys get cut for reasons, they aren't that good.

Not always true. That is like saying players do not get drafted for a reason, they aren't that good. Then we see UDFA become really good football players.

Players under perform for one team all the time, then move to another & become starters & some time HOFers. Players talent do not match up to the system of the old team.


people around here cannot grasp that concept.
NFL rosters are too small to keep everyone. There's always talent floating around...especially for a team like us with zero tight end talent and only 4 receivers now. We should also be looking for tackle depth.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bumphis waived
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:15 am 
Offline
2016 Draft Analyst
2016 Draft Analyst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 11231
Location: Lancaster, PA
Kev1321 wrote:
Quote:
Welker, who was not drafted during the 2004 NFL Draft, signed as an undrafted free agent with the San Diego Chargers. Welker made the Chargers out of training camp, but was released after the first game of the season when the Chargers claimed safety Clinton Hart off waivers.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wes_Welker ... nal_career


same goes for James Harrison, he was cut 3 times.
Jake delhomme, 3 times
Trent Green cut by the Chargers, so was Welker
Our own Kuechenburg and jim Langer were cut, Hall of Famers
Kurt Warner cut by Green Bay
Willie Brown cut by the oilers, went on to 9 pro bowls
Even Johnny Unitis was cut by Pittsburgh.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bumphis waived
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:27 am 
Offline
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:05 am
Posts: 863
Location: Mount Vernon, Iowa
Rock Sexton wrote:
The average fan is simply throwin' darts when they start patrolling the cut to 53. The likelihood of finding contributors is slim unless there's some documented evidence of a numbers game in which the player got the squeeze.


Yes, most of these players deserved to be cut and aren't worth our time. But to make the blanket statement "If they could contribute they wouldn't be cut" is just plain inaccurate.

_________________
www.aspoonfulofsports.blogspot.com
www.aspoonfulofsports.com


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bumphis waived
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:18 am 
Offline
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:05 am
Posts: 863
Location: Mount Vernon, Iowa
And for the record, yes, I know you're not the one who said it Rock.

_________________
www.aspoonfulofsports.blogspot.com
www.aspoonfulofsports.com


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bumphis waived
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:07 am 
Offline
2016 Draft Analyst
2016 Draft Analyst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 11231
Location: Lancaster, PA
Quote:
During his senior season, Bumphis caught 58 receptions for 922 yards and 12 touchdowns. His total receiving yards of 2,273 broke the school record. During the East-West Shrine Game in St. Petersburgh, Florida, Bumphis caught four passes for 92 yards and a touchdown, earning him MVP honors.


Quote:
“Bumphis has caught the ball in practice,” Miami Head Coach Joe Philbin said. “You watch the film after the day in practice, the kid gets open, he catches the ball.”

Bumphis has showed excellent skills during training camp – the kind that translate to NFL playing time. Bumphis has the speed to get open and create opportunities, especially downfield. However his height is holding him back. 5’11 is considered small for a wide receiver, and Bumphis will have to continue fighting for opportunities if he wants the coaching staff to forget about his short stature.

His performance is causing many scouts, analysts, and coaches to wonder how they overlooked him before the NFL Draft.
ESPN analyst, James Walker, admitted that he owes Bumphis an apology for not paying attention to his play. “He’s been making plays with regularity in training camp,” Walker posted on his NFL blog. “But I’ve mostly looked the other way.” The days of overlooking Bumphis may be over.


http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/08/19/ ... -in-miami/


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bumphis waived
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:22 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 6186
Swerve .... you can quote Philbin all you want, but he rarely (if ever) says anything bad about a player. The fact that he got cut sort've renders any of those quotes moot.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bumphis waived
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:03 am 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 4647
Location: MA.
Rock Sexton wrote:
Makchell wrote:
My thoughts are if they are good, they wouldn't be cut. You can find a diamond in the rough but how often does it happen for the Fins? We are constantly turning the bottom of the roster which is good, but then we all drink the koolaid and nothing happens. Binns comes to mind as a recent waiver wire pickup. Dropped catches in game, hurt, gone....again, there was a reason why he was waived. Time will tell though, I'm not too impressed with our WRs so the Broncos guy that Swerve was talking about and Meacham seems like an upgrade he's only 28 yrs old. Swerve also mentioned a TE that has gotten trucked all preseason and Sims has put up better numbers than him....ummm. I'm not a scout though. I hoped I explained my opinion in detail for you....lol, long.


The average fan is simply throwin' darts when they start patrolling the cut to 53. The likelihood of finding contributors is slim unless there's some documented evidence of a numbers game in which the player got the squeeze.


So true. I remember wanting Aaron Hernandez in the 1st round and he would have been except as you say I didn't have a clue about his baggage as obviously every head coach did. But of coarse the scoundrel that he is...Billycheat can't help himself and sold his sole to the devil once again.

For the most part even you Swerve(the draft guru you are) don't have any idea about these guys work ethic, charactor or how they will handle being handed millions of dollars unless you actually meet and talk to these guys..And even then it's a crap shoot.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bumphis waived
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:08 am 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 4647
Location: MA.
cspooner13 wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
The average fan is simply throwin' darts when they start patrolling the cut to 53. The likelihood of finding contributors is slim unless there's some documented evidence of a numbers game in which the player got the squeeze.


Yes, most of these players deserved to be cut and aren't worth our time. But to make the blanket statement "If they could contribute they wouldn't be cut" is just plain inaccurate.


Sometimes just being cut is what turns the light on...Man i wish we had picked up Cris Carter or not cut Anthony Carter


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bumphis waived
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:23 am 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8225
"If they could contribute they wouldn't be cut" is just plain inaccurate.

If their respected teams cut them, it's totally accurate. That's why they are cut. Maybe some one else can contribute "more" than a particular player that has been cut. Bumphis is cut because the coaches feel like he can't play, contribute, worth it whatever you want to call it. Sure you guys are naming players from years past and you are further proving my point. Appx a dozen players out of thousands dating back to the late 80's regarding Chris Carter? lol Again, YES, you can find gems, mostly you can't. Some of you guys take this stuff so personnel regarding players that you like. Sorry, they are cut for a reason.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bumphis waived
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:39 am 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 4647
Location: MA.
Makchell wrote:
"If they could contribute they wouldn't be cut" is just plain inaccurate.

If their respected teams cut them, it's totally accurate. That's why they are cut. Maybe some one else can contribute "more" than a particular player that has been cut. Bumphis is cut because the coaches feel like he can't play, contribute, worth it whatever you want to call it. Sure you guys are naming players from years past and you are further proving my point. Appx a dozen players out of thousands dating back to the late 80's regarding Chris Carter? lol Again, YES, you can find gems, mostly you can't. Some of you guys take this stuff so personnel regarding players that you like. Sorry, they are cut for a reason.


But Ninkovich is like a superstar now :ann0y:


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bumphis waived
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:43 am 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8225
lol..


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bumphis waived
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:56 am 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6500
Kev1321 wrote:

Sometimes just being cut is what turns the light on...Man i wish we had picked up Cris Carter or not cut Anthony Carter

Traded Anthony Carter for a Lber Robert Sendlien & a 2nd Rd pick.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bumphis waived
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:31 am 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 5127
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Im sure Jabaar Gaffney is available. He was one of our diamonds in the rough last season that worked out so well.

_________________
GASE IS ON THE CASE!!! 2016 SB CHAMPIONS.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bumphis waived
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:57 pm 
Offline
2016 Draft Analyst
2016 Draft Analyst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 11231
Location: Lancaster, PA
Kev1321 wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
The average fan is simply throwin' darts when they start patrolling the cut to 53. The likelihood of finding contributors is slim unless there's some documented evidence of a numbers game in which the player got the squeeze.


Yes, most of these players deserved to be cut and aren't worth our time. But to make the blanket statement "If they could contribute they wouldn't be cut" is just plain inaccurate.


Sometimes just being cut is what turns the light on...Man i wish we had picked up Cris Carter or not cut Anthony Carter


exactly right Kev, alot of times it becomes motivation.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ] 

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], k-dash and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r