View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Dolphins camp report 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Dolphins camp report
Quote:
By James Walker | ESPN.com

Miami defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle had high praise for Derrick Shelby. The backup defensive end has been one of the pleasant surprises in training camp. Shelby led the Dolphins with two sacks in last weekend’s 24-20 preseason loss to the Dallas Cowboys. “I’m really pleased with Derrick,” Coyle said. “Derrick is a very sound, very technically efficient player. But I see more production out of Derrick, starting the other night. He’s always a guy that you can count on to be in the right place. He’s very dependable. Yet we saw that playmaking ability the other night and we’ve seen it throughout training camp. He’s been difficult to block.”

There was also a John Jerry sighting in practice Wednesday. Miami’s starting guard didn’t dress but he’s been absent for a while after injuring his knee. His injury sent the offensive line scrambling. Jerry’s timetable is unknown. But the fact that he’s around the team this week is a good indication that he’s making progress for an eventual return.

The Dallas Thomas experiment continues. Miami tried Thomas out at right tackle on the second team for the first time in camp. Thomas has been struggling as the backup left tackle. He was particularly exposed on the left side in the Hall of Fame Game against the Cowboys. Thomas didn’t have a strong practice at right tackle either on Wednesday. I think his best position is guard, and it may be time to permanently move Thomas there before the rookie loses confidence. According to Philbin, the team wants to continue to experiment. “He’s got to work on his technique and fundamentals,” Philbin said. “That’s the only way to solve the problem. ... We have to continue to work on leverage, punch, timing of the punch and his feet.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... ce-returns

Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Dolphins camp report
can we trade Shelby for a quality offensive tackle?

Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:23 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

From what I could see in that Hall of Fame Game, Dallas Thomas just doesn't move well enough to be an efficient tackle.

More often than not he was caught staring at the DE as he blew past him. Maybe he's just thinking too much... it definitely seemed like it.

I can imagine a rookie out there thinking about all the things he has to do and completely forgetting his instincts. I like what the author said about him losing confidence... maybe it's time to stick him at guard, let him hit a few people... build that confidence back up, and then try him at tackle again.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:00 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

This O-line is in big trouble as it stands right now. Mark my words

Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:31 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

we've ot a gang of guards and not much tackle talent

Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:39 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Poor Dallas Thomas looked like he was playing shadow blocking flag football against the Cowboys.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]