View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
NFLJunkie wrote:
While their job is to win games, true. However, it is the restless fan base and media that has no patience to build a team that can win. We chase one coach after another out of town after 1 or two seasons. Remember Wannstedt was fired after a 10-6 season. Except for the 2008 season, we've not matched that once

:awe:

Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:29 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
While their job is to win games, true. However, it is the restless fan base and media that has no patience to build a team that can win. We chase one coach after another out of town after 1 or two seasons. Remember Wannstedt was fired after a 10-6 season. Except for the 2008 season, we've not matched that once

:awe:

:)

Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:09 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Quote:
Philbin took over a team with zero offensive talent. Tannehill has been playing quarterback for all of like 3 years. Ya you're right, they'd better win 12 games this year.

Pretty valid point though I wouldnt say it was zero. However this is what the league has become & what fans now expect ... win now! You dont go out & spend well over 100 million dollars to be satisfied with 9 wins & I think realistically you know that as well. Philbin & his staff this offseason knew one of their priorities would be to mold chemistry between all the new players & the existing ones. That chemistry excuse does not fly any more. In fact really besides injuries there are really no excuses. Even that ongoing one where the refs are out to get us.
Im a believer. I see a bunch of winnable games for a team that I would say is in a weaker division. Im not gonna make excuses now to soften the blow.
Another excuse has always been lack of talent , that also is no longer valid. We should be able to take a major positive stride this season.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:29 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
Another excuse has always been lack of talent , that also is no longer valid. We should be able to take a major positive stride this season.

Why are you carrying on with a "dated" argument? Nobody in this forum is saying they're a blackhole of talent like they've previously been. They clearly acquired some via the draft and free agency this year. But high expectations, when this is the first time this group will play together collectively, is unreasonable .... money or no money. You realize there is more than 1 year on those contracts they doled out to some of those players they brought in right?

This wasn't a team plugging holes with expensive 1 year veterans in an attempt to buy a championship. Let's ask the Eagles how that played out a couple years ago.

They should show some improvement this year from a competitive standpoint and a win stand point based on the collective talent alone ..... but expecting 5+ more wins than last year? C'mon. Having 2-3 more wins is perfectly acceptable. Any fan with the mentality that it's more than that "or bust" is simply popping off over years of mounting frustration.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:40 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
but expecting 5+ more wins than last year? C'mon. Having 2-3 more wins is perfectly acceptable. Any fan with the mentality that it's more than that "or bust" is simply popping off over years of mounting frustration.

This mentality is being fed to us by some of the talking heads and media so we're almost being brainwashed to think this is the final chance.

Right now we're seeing a lot of basics in camp and the vanilla offense in preseason games. Tannehill's play action ability, Miller's big play ability, and the upgraded receiving group will begin to pay dividends once the offense gels.

While the defense looked shaky on Sunday I still think it will be a formidable unit that will keep the team at least competitive in most games.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:02 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

NFLJunkie wrote:

Son, you need to do some research and check the facts (Bates/Bowles don't count because they were interims who didn't get a second chance.)

- Wanny went 10-6 in 2003 after going 9-7 in 2002. In both years, he had no playoff appearances with teams built to contend for a Super Bowl. He then proceeded to drive the team's best player to quit on him, then went 1-8 in 2004 before he was fired.

- Saban was not chased out of town. He left on his own volition because his abrasive style of coaching doesn't fly in the pros. He also lied like a rug while in the process of taking another job with a college team before the 2006 season was even finished.

- Cameron was a complete buffoon who touted a kick returner's family as the reason for taking him in the first round. That was one of several decisions that revealed him as a bad talent evaluator, a bad game day strategist, and a bad leader of men. He lost the respect of the locker room in the process of taking a sub .500 team and turning it into the laughing stock of the league.

- Sparano proved to be nowhere near the coach Parcells once was. He had an extremely limited offensive mind and wasted some great talent as a result. He ruined Chad Henne, who I think would've been an efficient QB in this league if properly coached.

Overall, I think all those reasons were valid for chasing those coaches out of town.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:29 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Wanny thought Fiedler could game manage them to a Super Bowl behind the running of Ricky Williams.

Saban thought Culpepper could thrive without healthy knees and awesome mobility. Left town when he knew Harrington was his only option.

Cameron thought Trent Green had a year left in him and Beck was the next Brees.

Sparano (who I guess wanted Flacco) used a gimmick to mask Pennington's arm strength and then told an already indecisive Henne to not take chances, leaving it to ground and pound.

Notice a theme...

Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:34 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I think the problem for most of us is that we have heard the same song and dance the past 5 years and keep hoping for a level of consistency and finally getting over the hump.

True new people, young promising long term potential QB solution, but until the fans see the promise turn into wins, it will continue to be challenging and we will all mainly be on that roller coaster of emotion.

Whenever I find myself trying to convince myself THIS year it will be better, I get let down, so I am going to try and bite my tongue..."try" to anyway....

Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2