View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Inside Slant: Dolphin Team Needs 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Inside Slant: Dolphin Team Needs
Quote:
TEAM NEEDS

1. Nose tackle: Although Miami re-signed Jason Ferguson, his age, health and idle status for the first eight games due to a suspension screams for a young replacement, especially with only an inconsistent Paul Soliai as the current insurance policy. Tennessee DT Dan Williams could be a potential target, although Parcells prefers to collect DTs in the later rounds. If Terrence Cody drops because of weight issues, he could be had when Miami chooses at No. 43.

2. Wide receiver: Dolphins wideouts combined to catch just six touchdown passes, including three by rookie Brian Hartline and just one by underachieving Ted Ginn Jr. Davone Bess and Greg Camarillo are dependable possession receivers but the Dolphins are desperate for a No. 1 playmaking receiver who can stretch the field. They've shown an interest in Syracuse's Mike Williams, LSU's Brandon LaFell and later in the draft Louisville's Scott Long.

3. Free safety: Cutting free-agent bust Gibril Wilson, a major culprit in Miami allowing 23 touchdown passes and 40 pass completions that were 25 yards or more, needs to be addressed even with second-year safety Chris Clemons in the fold. The Dolphins swung and missed in free agency with safeties Antrel Rolle and Ryan Clark.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/miami ... port/67052

Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:57 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Re: Inside Slant: Dolphin Team Needs
Yeah we need all three of those things but were do we look to get them the draft or FA? or maybe both places

Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:36 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Inside Slant: Dolphin Team Needs
I've said it before, but maybe it's worth a second stab. Miami does not NEED a receiver. It'd be a luxury. They can score. They have good receivers. A number 1 would be nice but it's not needed. What's needed is a defensive pass rush and a new defensive scheme. They've partly addressed that with Nolan and Dansby.
Needs: NT, OLB

Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:38 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Iowafin wrote:
I've said it before, but maybe it's worth a second stab. Miami does not NEED a receiver. It'd be a luxury. They can score. They have good receivers. A number 1 would be nice but it's not needed. What's needed is a defensive pass rush and a new defensive scheme. They've partly addressed that with Nolan and Dansby.

But taking a Rb at 12 would be cool.......?

Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

You have 9 picks. Why does the first one have to be at a need position if the best guy available isn't one of them?

Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:02 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

You have 9 picks. Why does the first one have to be at a need position if the best guy available isn't one of them?

You just implied that WR shouldn't be the pick at 12 because it is not a need, but you are also the biggest advocate of CJ Spiller on this board.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:21 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Iowafin wrote:

No need to argue with you Iowa, but needless to say I disagree with your assessment.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:33 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Big Dave wrote:
Dolphins wideouts combined to catch just six touchdown passes, including three by rookie Brian Hartline and just one by underachieving Ted Ginn Jr.

Sorry, but I just puked in my mouth with that. Thank God for Hartline.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:

You just implied that WR shouldn't be the pick at 12

I did? You can read into all you want, all i said was that receiver is not a need.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:52 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Big Dave wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
Dolphins wideouts combined to catch just six touchdown passes, including three by rookie Brian Hartline and just one by underachieving Ted Ginn Jr.

Sorry, but I just puked in my mouth with that. Thank God for Hartline.

Actually Dave, it was 5 in 2009 and 5 in 2008.

Bess(2), Hartline(3), Ginn(1) in 2009.
Ginn(2), Camarillo(2), Bess(1) in 2008.

But Miami does not need a WR, they will be just fine.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:58 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

:hithead: Y r some of u saying we dont neeeeeeeeeed a wr? if teams r not afraid of the pass they will key in on the run and ooppps there goes Ronnie or Rick or Cobb out agin. We all think that we do need some help on the D side of the ball but do we go D 1st and hope a late wr will pan out fast for us (i.e.) M. Colston of the Saints or we take a chance and pick DEZ if he is there with the 12pick. I know its the Tunas way to draft for long term and not short term but do we really want to wait on a (wr) do develop (i.e.) Pat Turner form last year.....dont get me wrong still have hope for him but Im tired of saying......well maybe next year we can get a guy like some other team already drafted just my opion..... :???

Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:14 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Maybe we get lucky and Hartline has a stellar second year. That would be awesome.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:19 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

hypocritex wrote:
Maybe we get lucky and Hartline has a stellar second year. That would be awesome.

Yeah him and P. Turner both........fingers crossed.....and toes lol

Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

No need to argue with you Iowa, but needless to say I disagree with your assessment.

It's ok, I think most do.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:10 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

hypocritex wrote:

The only problem is that Hartline, Camarillo, and Bess are the same types of receivers. I like all 3 of them, but none of them stretch the field. Ginn can stretch the field, but I think he surprised Parcells by taking a step back last year. If the Dolphins continue to rest their hopes that these receivers will take the next step forward I think they are kidding themselves. They are what they are ... and I love the roles that Hartline, Camarillo, and Bess play for us.

I poked at Tony saying that he nagged me into liking Dez Bryant, but the fact is is that he used sound arguments to convince me that Bryant is worth the risk.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:05 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

What about a TE?? Fasano had 7 TD's in 2008, which made the WR not need as many, and with this style of ground n pound any time they are in the red zone the size guys come in...

So I say we need a TE as much as a WR... Fasano was disappointing in 09.....

Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:57 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

10acjed wrote:
What about a TE??

Parcells likes a tough tight end with good hands. He may surprise everyone and draft one high.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:11 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Honestly I would be happy with any of the "needs" being filled early, and I hope only the "needs" will be picked with the first 4...

NT - OLB/DE - FS - TE - WR, while I know a WR really isnt a "need" as much as others, if we are going to get one from the draft, the sooner the better as we must account for 2 seasons of development...

NT - Just need one, no way around it
FS - " See above "

OLB/DE - Porter gone, and even if Taylor comes back we need someone for the future, however JT coming back could push this pick to the later rounds, and use an early one next year for it.

TE - Let Haynos & Fasano compete for that position and get a solid # 1 TE

WR - Draft? Well we would have to give him 1 - 2 seasons to develop, so better do it this year...

Just some random thoughts... I am not thinking div title or post season for 2010, just good competition to get the team to continue to gel...

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:51 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I think it would be hard to pass on Spiller even if he is not a "need".

I think WR is a true need. I'm not sold that any WR is going to come in from the draft, andy round and including Bryant, and make this team better at the WR position from day one. Normally, WR take time to develop.

Some potentially wonderful defensive players will be available at 12 - do we take the best of that group.

The draft will be fun. Hope we can find some "immediate impact" folks like last year.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]