View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Omar Kelly Opinions 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Omar Kelly Opinions
I am just curious to those of you reading Omar Kelly's coverage of the Dolphins over the years and if anyone follows his comments on Twitter and what your opinion of him is?

Also, is there another beat writer that you prefer over him?

Thu May 09, 2013 7:07 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post Re: Omar Kelly Opinions
Finhead34 wrote:
I am just curious to those of you reading Omar Kelly's coverage of the Dolphins over the years and if anyone follows his comments on Twitter and what your opinion of him is?

Followed him for a couple of weeks last year, I wanted to pull my hair, guy's a moron, doesn't know crap about football and makes stuff up...Thanks to this site, I keep reminded how bad he is...SMH.

Finhead34 wrote:

Hmmm...everyone else?

Thu May 09, 2013 8:41 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Lol I think everyone hates that dude.

Thu May 09, 2013 8:41 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

He blocked me, so no.

Thu May 09, 2013 9:20 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
He blocked me, so no.

LMAO what did you say to him? Did you over-correct him too much for his liking?

Thu May 09, 2013 10:12 pm

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
He blocked me, so no.

LMAO what did you say to him? Did you over-correct him too much for his liking?

He was very irresponsible one day with a report that involved Ireland and his autistic daughters.

I can't remember exactly what happened, but from what I remember he saw Ireland leave the UM pro day suddenly and said it was because of a problem with his daughters. Another reporter Direct Messaged me saying that it wasn't true at all (I forget what the actual reason was) and that Omar was an "effing idiot". I basically then re-iterated that to Omar in my own words...

He didn't like that.

Thu May 09, 2013 10:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I read all of them. My favorite is Armando Salguero.

Fri May 10, 2013 6:42 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Yeah Omar on Twitter blocks people in a moments notice if he doesn't like your comment or any direction of negative words towards him. He is a like a talk show host always needing to be in control and get the last word.

Amazing with all the media talent that he is considered a staple covering the Dolphins. Between all of them, sometimes I am disappointed there isn't more competency and one that really separates from another.

I understand their job sometimes is to straddle both sides of the comment fence when covering issues or topics, but you do read utter rubbish at times.

Heck, I think a few guys in this forum would do a better job, perhaps the South Florida media industry should start recruiting in here!

Fri May 10, 2013 7:06 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Omar comes off as very insecure. He is always blocking people or insulting his twitter followers.

He seems passionate about what he does but I think he is too high on himself. I used to like him early on and we used to have him as a guest on Phinfever Live and he was really cool on the show. But he started losing credibility with me when he said on the show that Ronnie Brown didn't have the IT factor and wasn't anything special, but then a few months later was saying in his blog how he's always viewed him as a special player.

Fri May 10, 2013 7:44 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The thing I like about Kelly is his dedication. He's always tweeting, putting out articles, etc. He's always working. He gets a lot of information out quickly.

What I don't like is what has already been mentioned. He's very arrogant, appears moody with twitter people, and seems to like one sided debates. He backs down when people show they are smarter than him, kind of like the bully suddenly recognizing a new tough guy has arrived.

I don't share some of his political views but I thought he made one of the best political comments the other day regarding the stadium upgrades (and the country in general). He basically said that he doesn't get excited about young, idealistic politicians because they are eventually either bought, or knocked out of office by people with more money and power. I think that is spot on (for both sides of the aisle).

As for Miami reporters, I thought Volin was probably the best of a mediocre bunch. But now he's gone. Salguero, hate to say, just doesn't come off as that bright.

I can't figure out, nor have I put the time into discovering which has the best inside track.

Fri May 10, 2013 8:48 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I don't follow Omar on Twitter..........in fact I don't follow anyone on Twitter........old school. So I can't comment on any Twitter interactions.

The Sun-Sentinel definitely devotes more attention to the Phins than the Herald and Omar is the Sentinel's beat writer for the Phins............so in that regard he deserves some respect. Quite often he's the first to report on the Phin's personnel moves........I appreciate that. I do not recollect an incident where he's made an incorrect report. His articles that are more editorial are subject to the readers' perspective..........anytime an individual makes predictions.......they're likely to be wrong a fair percentage of the time.......so I don't necessarily fault him for occasionally being incorrect with his opinion articles.

Omar does take his job seriously, he seems to have good relations with the organization and the players. So with all that said........I give Omar a thumbs up.

Fri May 10, 2013 11:12 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I think Omar Kelly does a decent job. He does jump on rumors too quickly at times before getting all the facts out, but he keeps me entertained.

I think my favorite writer was Jason Cole. Dave Hyde does a good job, and Armando Salguero has stepped up his game since Jason Cole and Alex Marvez went on to the bigger money.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Fri May 10, 2013 11:54 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Reporters have a tough line to tow............in one aspect they want to be absolutely factual with everything they report.........in another they want to comment on speculation, because that's what draws readers' interest. I don't necessarily fault a guy that reports on speculation, as long as they make it clear that's what it is and have conducted diligent research to back it up.

Fri May 10, 2013 12:18 pm

In my mind, it is not even close between Kelly and Salguero.

I used to not be able to stand Armando, but you're right Dave, he has stepped it up.

As an example, Salguero was the only local beat writer saying that the Dolphins weren't as high on Lane Johnson as people thought. Whoever his inside sources are, they give him good information and he generally winds up being right with his speculation. So there is at least a feeling of having a legitimate source inside the organization because he has hit on a few "predictions".

Kelly... not so much.

Also, I love the fact that Volin and Salguero can accurately brief us on the cap situation.

Kelly on the other hand seems to not be interested in reporting on the cap situation much...

Fri May 10, 2013 12:42 pm

Kelly has blocked 10 twitter followers today...

Thin skin.

Fri May 10, 2013 12:44 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I prefer to hear an unbiased opinion from someone with real NFL experience. NFL Radion, ESPN etc are my choices for that.

Omar will make any player look good if they are friendly towards him..

Fri May 10, 2013 1:11 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Omar Kelly has definite opinions. As others have noted he seems to work hard at his job. I respect that. Do I agree with all his opinions, no. Is he confident in his opinions, yes. Does that seem to boarder on arrogance and condescension at times, imo yes. He has taken the time to answer some questions, not all, I have asked him through e-mails.

I like Volin, Salguero, Hyde.

Fri May 10, 2013 2:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Omar does work hard and social media is his way of life as he is constant. Definitely has a short fuse and every now again he will actually respond to my Twitter comments, but you need to approach him with what I would say is a perceived intelligent question as if it is something that is commonly asked I get the impression he won't waste his time acknowledging you.

I wouldn't mind seeing him back as a guest on Phinfever if Dave and the mods feel they would be ok with that idea.

Sat May 11, 2013 4:58 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Finhead34 wrote:

Well if football was all he did, he'd be much better liked. However he's tough to follow on Twitter because he is all over the place and spends more energy complaining about followers than about football. He is very condescending to his followers. He doesn't really know as much about football as he pretends to know. But he does work hard at it. I just can't feel anything good with him.

I love Ben Volin, who is leaving us. Cole and Hyde are pretty good. You can keep just about all the rest...Salguero is a tool. Barry Jackson can sometimes do ok... I'm pretty disappointed, overall, with the So. Fl. beat writers, in all the sports...they are rather bush-league... Too bad Volin is leaving. Another we had that was very good was Darlington, but he's gone mainstream too...

Sun May 12, 2013 8:15 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

LarryFinfan: Very well said summary. I think you are accurate with your thoughts and you provide a very good assessment of Omar as well.

He does seem like he tends to take things personally much too often and very quick to take his ball and go home when dealing with different fans and I agree on the speaking down.

Your disappointment with South Florida media is spot on as I agree with you on that too. I am dead serious when I say there are some guys in this forum that could cover the sports in that area better than what we read.

Sun May 12, 2013 9:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]