View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 ESPN’s Williamson: Tannehill Is Going To Be Perennial Top-10 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post ESPN’s Williamson: Tannehill Is Going To Be Perennial Top-10
http://www.thefinsiders.com/blog/2013/e ... -top-10-qb

Quote:
ESPN’s Matt Williamson, a former NFL scout, recently called into The Finsiders to discuss Tannehill’s rookie season and what to realistically expect going forward.

“I thought he was a franchise quarterback coming out of A&M, and I like him more now than I did then. I’m a big, big believer,” Williamson said. “I think he’s finally the answer since Dan Marino. Everybody’s been scrambling for the majority of my lifetime, really, to find the replacement for Marino in Miami, and I think he is.

“I really think he’s going to be a perennial top-10 type of quarterback throughout his career.”

Once you’ve established yourself, built up a reputation, the scoreboard is the giant trump card. Winning ugly, at times, is acceptable. Tannehill, though, is still at the stage of his career where how he gets it done is as important to some as the actual result. Last season was a good starting point for the Dolphins quarterback, Williamson said.

Quote:
Don’t get too caught up in statistics or record, Williamson said, just watch the young quarterback in late-game situations. Does he look comortable? If there are a couple of repeats of last year’s Seattle win — Tannehill’s first fourth-quarter comeback, which included scoring drives of 82, 80 and 65 — he will be in good shape.

Fri May 10, 2013 2:19 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: ESPN’s Williamson: Tannehill Is Going To Be Perennial Top-10
Management has improved his supporting cast so I am hopeful Tannehill makes a huge stride this season. More TD's and 1st downs and less interceptions.

Fri May 10, 2013 6:37 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Tannehill looked calmer and calmer towards the end of the season. If he gets to a point to drop back and see the entire field and see multiple reads within seconds, he will really start being the long term answer. He certainly has the attributes and proof will be in his production, but I feel FAR better with him than the past QB's Miami has had over the years.

Fri May 10, 2013 7:09 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

He needs to be or FA and the draft will mean nothing. He is the key.

Fri May 10, 2013 8:05 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I have faith that Tannehill will be a good QB in this league. I don't think that is a major question.

The big question is what Williamson mentioned: Is he clutch or a statistics guy?

Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, early version of Tom Brady...these are guys who've been clutch. They can not only win ugly, but they beat good teams in the hardest situations and sometimes with inferior supporting casts.

Jay Cutler, Matt Schaub, Philip Rivers...these guys rack up statistics but seem to fold in key moments. I don't think a lot of us will be crushed if Tannehill is in this category, but it will be disappointing. Not saying he has to be a Super Bowl QB to be successful, but consistently going deep into the playoffs should be the barometer.

Fri May 10, 2013 8:58 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Tannehill was extremely up and down last season. In the beginning it was very rough. Then he sort of hit his stride and had a few nice games. Then he hit the rookie wall and it got ugly again. But towards the end you saw a player that in the minds of many was waiting to break out Hopefully the additions of Wallace, Gibson, Keller, etc will help Tannehill take the next step.

I'm not too concerned with Tannehill's numbers this season. Throwing for 4,000 yards, 25 touchdowns, and a high quarterback rating will mean little if we finish 7-9 again. What you want to see from Tannehill this year is a reduction in mistakes, keeping the offense on the field longer, putting up more points, and winning more games. I could care less about his personal stats as long as he leads this team to the postseason.

Fri May 10, 2013 1:54 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Tannehill will become the best QB in the NFL very soon. We had better start budgeting now for his next contract which at the current rate might be 25 mil per season. This is the new problem with the NFL. Elite QB's salaries will start to handcuff teams cap space.

Fri May 10, 2013 4:28 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Finhead34 wrote:
Tannehill looked calmer and calmer towards the end of the season. If he gets to a point to drop back and see the entire field and see multiple reads within seconds, he will really start being the long term answer. He certainly has the attributes and proof will be in his production, but I feel FAR better with him than the past QB's Miami has had over the years.

List of starting QB's since Marino retired:

Damon Huard
Jay Fiedler
Ray Lucas
Brian Griese
AJ Feely
Sage Rosenfels
Gus Frerotte
Daunte Culpepper
Joey Harrington
Cleo Lemon
Trent Green
John Beck
Chad Pennington
Chad Henne
Tyler Thigpen
Matt Moore

I look at this list and want to puke.

Sat May 11, 2013 11:00 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Finhead34 wrote:

I agree with this. As Miami fans, we won't be asking if he is a but, but if he is a good enough QB to take us all the way. I saw nothing last season that made me think...hmmm...Did we draft Gabbert or Sanchez here. I see a good QB, a poor man's Aaron Rodgers. But the talent around him must be good. Wallace was a great signing, but I do worry we might need another playmaker to make Tannehill great.

Sun May 12, 2013 12:49 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Well, it's nice to hear positive stuff from any media outlet, but he's right that IF Tanny breaks out we could be saying "Tanny is our guy" next offseason....I remember many saying the same things about Henne a few years ago and that didn't turn out, his play digressed as his experience moved on...

That said, there are many, many things that are different, at least from my perspective, about Tanny than there ever was about Henne... The future does look bright for the kid. It's just too bad that his continued success is the key to this franchise. Yes, they've added new toys for him and the expectations are that he can do better with the likes of Wallace, Gibson, Hartline, Keller, Miller, etc but the one other key area we haven't significantly improved is the OL...

We'll have to wait to see if Martin's improve strength and vitality improve his play as he moves to LT. Is JJ going to finally become a pro or will he spend too much time at the buffet bar during the summer and come in out of shape again. Is Louis going to be healthy enough to push JJ. Is Thomas the rookie they envision or another Donald Thomas?? Lots of questions along the OL...

Sun May 12, 2013 8:05 am

Looking at that list when each of those guys became the starter there were plenty here who were believers. I think its pretty clear we have a guy now who can be the greatest QB this division has seen. Kelly , Marino , Brady included.

Sun May 12, 2013 4:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Larryfinfan wrote:
Well, it's nice to hear positive stuff from any media outlet, but he's right that IF Tanny breaks out we could be saying "Tanny is our guy" next offseason....I remember many saying the same things about Henne a few years ago and that didn't turn out, his play digressed as his experience moved on...

That said, there are many, many things that are different, at least from my perspective, about Tanny than there ever was about Henne... The future does look bright for the kid. It's just too bad that his continued success is the key to this franchise. Yes, they've added new toys for him and the expectations are that he can do better with the likes of Wallace, Gibson, Hartline, Keller, Miller, etc but the one other key area we haven't significantly improved is the OL...

We'll have to wait to see if Martin's improve strength and vitality improve his play as he moves to LT. Is JJ going to finally become a pro or will he spend too much time at the buffet bar during the summer and come in out of shape again. Is Louis going to be healthy enough to push JJ. Is Thomas the rookie they envision or another Donald Thomas?? Lots of questions along the OL...

I would add our secondary to the list of question marks

That being said, I still believe there is more hope than any time in the past 15 years

Sun May 12, 2013 10:32 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FINesse wrote:
Looking at that list when each of those guys became the starter there were plenty here who were believers. I think its pretty clear we have a guy now who can be the greatest QB this division has seen. Kelly , Marino , Brady included.

Well I am going to need to see a whole lot more to see clearly what you see.

Sun May 12, 2013 10:42 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AQNOR wrote:
FINesse wrote:

Well I am going to need to see a whole lot more to see clearly what you see.

I agree, I'm a big believer in Tannehill and what Philbin and Sherman are trying to build offensively, but before I think Tannehill is even going to be a good quarterback, I'll need to see a ton more from him this season. And for the next ten years if he makes it that long. A lot of promising players have come to Miami only to see their careers burn up in the South Florida heat. Tannehill seems like a good kid, but he's got a long way to go.

Mon May 13, 2013 2:52 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

TommyNoleFin wrote:
Finhead34 wrote:

List of starting QB's since Marino retired:

Damon Huard
Jay Fiedler
Ray Lucas
Brian Griese
AJ Feely
Sage Rosenfels
Gus Frerotte
Daunte Culpepper
Joey Harrington
Cleo Lemon
Trent Green
John Beck
Chad Pennington
Chad Henne
Tyler Thigpen
Matt Moore

I look at this list and want to puke.

I look at Henne and Moore on that list and I see two guys mentioned earlier in the list: Griese and Fiedler.

I think Henne could still be a Brian Griese type aka starter who might get you 9 or 10 wins if everything else goes right. At worst he's a good backup.

If he was given the chance I think Matt Moore was going to be another Jay Fiedler aka a guy who could consistently win, would be a great leader and was the underdog you could cheer for early on. But I think he was going to hit a wall and eventually the fans would demand more (no pun intended).

Mon May 13, 2013 1:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]