View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 incredibly premature roster projection #1 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post incredibly premature roster projection #1
After looking at cap implications in a different thread, I got to trying to figure out how many of each position the team would be likely to keep. One thing led to another, and so here is my first projection of the roster. This does not take into account any further "tweaking" of the roster that Ireland will do. I left ?? for one of the tackle spots because I'm sure we will do SOMETHING with that position (finger crossed). Of course, there will be other surprises, but this is more about the number of players that will be kept. The names will change as the roster churns, but here it is...

QB (3) Tannehill Moore Devlin
RB (4) Miller Gilislee Thomas Thigpen
FB (2) Lane Clay
WR 1 (3) Wallace Binns Matthews
WR 2 (2) Hartline Gibson
TE (3) Keller Simms Egnew
OT (4) Martin ?? Yeatman Garner
OG (4) Incognito Jerry Louis Thomas
C (2) Pouncey Samuda
K (1) Sturgis

DE (5) Wake Jordan Vernon Odrick Shelby
DT (4) Soliai Starks Randall Alecxih
OLB (4) Misi Wheeler Kaddu Jenkins
ILB (3) Ellerbe Spitler Trusnik
S (4) Jones Clemons Wilson McCray
CB (5) Grimes Taylor Patterson Davis Jones

P Fields
LS Denney

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:09 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: incredibly premature roster projection #1
Not to criticize. But, do you really only see them carrying 3 TE's when only 1 of them can block? Unless of course Yeatman multitasks.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:15 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

hypocritex wrote:
Not to criticize. But, do you really only see them carrying 3 TE's when only 1 of them can block? Unless of course Yeatman multitasks.

Yeatman is listed at 300+ lbs...

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:39 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

hypocritex wrote:

Well, I have Clay listed as a FB but of course he's another option. I'm not sure how much that helps with the blocking concern, though. They might well have Yeatman multi-task in "jumbo" packages, or they will have to pick somebody up along the way... which will mean cutting someone... so I'm not even really trying to project those kinds of things, with the exception of the glaring OT situation.

The truth is I'm expecting that there will be 2-3 veterans added to the roster at least once cut-downs start happening.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:59 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

hypocritex wrote:

They aren't going to cut Keller (obviously), and they probably aren't going to cut the new kid Sims. From what I've heard, they aren't ready to give up on Egnew either, so I don't think any one of them is getting cut, so yeah, 3 TE's

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Good job. The only place I think you might be wrong is at DT. I think Vaughn Martin who we signed from the Chargers in free agency will wind up winning the other backup job over Chas Alecxih. But who knows, maybe he'll prove me wrong? We'll have to wait and see what happens in camp.

A couple of other guys who I think could wind up being surprises at camp are Keelan Johnson and Cameron Marshall from Arizona State. Both players are darkhorses that I think will win roster spots.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:09 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I don't think Binns makes the team. He dropped alot of passes last year.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:15 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Manhattan wrote:
I don't think Binns makes the team. He dropped alot of passes last year.

I think he'll have to compete with Jeff Fuller and Brian Tyms (our other two receivers with size) for the fifth and final receiver spot. But the job is still his to loose. The only way I see him not making the 52 man roster is if the light goes on for Fuller.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:37 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

wkloiber13 wrote:
The only place I think you might be wrong is at DT. I think Vaughn Martin who we signed from the Chargers in free agency will wind up winning the other backup job over Chas Alecxih.

You could well be right. I didn't know anything about Martin, so I went with the guy we had invested a season in; but of course I could easily be wrong about that.

wkloiber13 wrote:
A couple of other guys who I think could wind up being surprises at camp are Keelan Johnson and Cameron Marshall from Arizona State.

I like both of those guys too. Marshall, especially. But I keep hearing about how much the coaches believe in McCray. Of course, they might decide to carry the extra safety at the expense of some other position. I also think one of the 2 UFA WRs might make it to the roster instead of Binns. I am rooting for Jasper Collins, from Div 2 Mount Union. He set all the records there; would love to root for him like I rooted for Bess. I am pretty meh on Binns. Of course, a veteran FA signing at cut-downs could trump all that.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:00 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

k-dash wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
The only place I think you might be wrong is at DT. I think Vaughn Martin who we signed from the Chargers in free agency will wind up winning the other backup job over Chas Alecxih.

You could well be right. I didn't know anything about Martin, so I went with the guy we had invested a season in; but of course I could easily be wrong about that.

wkloiber13 wrote:
A couple of other guys who I think could wind up being surprises at camp are Keelan Johnson and Cameron Marshall from Arizona State.

I like both of those guys too. Marshall, especially. But I keep hearing about how much the coaches believe in McCray. Of course, they might decide to carry the extra safety at the expense of some other position. I also think one of the 2 UFA WRs might make it to the roster instead of Binns. I am rooting for Jasper Collins, from Div 2 Mount Union. He set all the records there; would love to root for him like I rooted for Bess. I am pretty meh on Binns. Of course, a veteran FA signing at cut-downs could trump all that.

Kelcie McCray is a free safety. He likley wouldn't be competing with Johnson. Rather he'd likely be competing with Wilson and Clemons. The reason he didn't play last season was because he fractured his foot in training camp. But he was a priority undrafted free agent that the Dolphins were happy to get. I think the Dolphins are hoping he can push Chris Clemons for the starting free safety position this year, but to be honest he'll be lucky to beat out Jimmy Wilson for the backup job.

Keelan Johnson is a strong safety, but he has experience playing both safety positions. He had a solid senior season with 88 tackles, 5 interceptions, and 13 pass breakups. To be honest I think he's a better prospect than McCray and Wilson. He'll be competing for a backup job behind Jones. I think he'll make a great replacement for Jonathon Amaya.

But I'm with you. I'm thinking McCray has a good chance to make the roster and replace Jimmy Wilson. Wilson is a safety in a cornerback's body. He was constantly getting beaten by bigger more physical receivers/tightends.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]