View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ] 
 Chiefs give Miami permission to talk with Albert 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post Chiefs give Miami permission to talk with Albert
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/91859 ... ert-source

Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:02 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Chiefs give Miami permission to talk with Albert
That's something brewing.......No more than a 3rd i hope...

Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:41 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Kev1321 wrote:

I think it ends up being the late 2nd rounder

Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:48 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Kev1321 wrote:

i know right?

Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:48 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

jammer wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

I think it ends up being the late 2nd rounder

Rather sign a free agent OT and use the picks...Between the money and picks he better be good in Miami...

Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:54 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Is Albert worth a 2nd round pick? Yes. Is he worth the pick and a big contract? Debatable. Is he worth it relative to other options that are and have been available? Probably not.

I think the Albert trade lacked a little bit of foresight by Miami. It's now a desperation move. Not necessarily a bad one, but still somewhat disappointing.

That said, if he comes in and solidifies the LT position, nobody should be complaining too much.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:12 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

If the Fins have been granted the ability to talk to Albert, it sounds as if the Dolphins and the Chiefs have a deal in place.

I'm very sure that it is for a 2nd round pick. Hopefully it will be for the late round pick.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Phins Rock wrote:
Is Albert worth a 2nd round pick? Yes. Is he worth the pick and a big contract? Debatable. Is he worth it relative to other options that are and have been available? Probably not.

I think the Albert trade lacked a little bit of foresight by Miami. It's now a desperation move. Not necessarily a bad one, but still somewhat disappointing.

That said, if he comes in and solidifies the LT position, nobody should be complaining too much.

I think the fact the Chiefs are letting the Dolphins talk to Albert answers a question you had in the other thread about how trading for a franchise player affects the salary cap. If the Chiefs are letting the Dolphins talk to Albert, part of the reason obviously is to negotiate a deal.

If the Dolphins were going to take a $9.8 million hit AND additional cap hit from a long-term deal, they'd just take the $9.8 million hit and extend him for next year.

So obviously, signing him to a long-term deal negates the franchise tag cap hit.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:37 pm

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

I think the fact the Chiefs are letting the Dolphins talk to Albert answers a question you had in the other thread about how trading for a franchise player affects the salary cap. If the Chiefs are letting the Dolphins talk to Albert, part of the reason obviously is to negotiate a deal.

If the Dolphins were going to take a $9.8 million hit AND additional cap hit from a long-term deal, they'd just take the $9.8 million hit and extend him for next year.

So obviously, signing him to a long-term deal negates the franchise tag cap hit.

I really don't know either way. That's just something I read yesterday somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

But you're right, it wouldn't make sense to give him a signing bonus and minimum salary for 2013 on top of the 9.8. Unless there are different rules for franchised players.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:41 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
I really don't know either way. That's just something I read yesterday somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

But you're right, it wouldn't make sense to give him a signing bonus and minimum salary for 2013 on top of the 9.8. Unless there are different rules for franchised players.

Again, I think if the Dolphins traded for him, they'd have until July 15th to restructure him and avoid the massive cap hit.

The way it works is if a team franchises a player and the player signs a tender, while that money becomes fully guaranteed, teams have until July 15th to sign an extension.

It is no different than players restructuring to gives teams cap relief. If both sides agree to it, there is nothing to prevent it from happening.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:43 pm

Big Dave wrote:
If the Fins have been granted the ability to talk to Albert, it sounds as if the Dolphins and the Chiefs have a deal in place.

I'm very sure that it is for a 2nd round pick. Hopefully it will be for the late round pick.

The report says the Chiefs are allowing the Dolphins to talk to Albert to help facilitate a trade for a 2nd round pick.

Albert is in Miami and will soon visit the Dolphins for a physical and to begin negotiating a contract.

Albert is only allowed to negotiate with the Dolphins, so I do think the teams have a deal in place.

It's on Albert now.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Wonder if it will be the later 2nd round pick and a player?

Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:48 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I have no problem giving them 54 for him... but I'd be a bit upset if the compensation is number 42.

We're not going to get a LT of his caliber at 54... great value if thats the case.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

maybe Albert is the "Break in case of emergency" plan for Miami

Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:27 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Andy Reid says no they did not give permission.....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... to-albert/

Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:17 pm

He's a non-exclusive franchise player... doesn't that mean he can negotiate with other teams?

Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:27 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:
He's a non-exclusive franchise player... doesn't that mean he can negotiate with other teams?

I dont know, I am assuming no being the reports are that we were given permission, and we were not given permission...

A tad OT..
What ever happened to accurate news reporting?
With all the other crap going on its painfully obvious that these jump the gun be first to report story's are not limited to NFL trade rumors....

Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:42 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Anyone remember awhile ago when Detroit gave permission for a player to talk to another team and then came out complaining in the media that they they were working on contract terms? The League office told then to quit their whining.

The M&M boys in Detroit were such a bunch of schmucks, lol!

Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:32 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The 3rd round of the draft commences on pick #63. If Miami can swing their 54th pick and second of 2 second picks, this will be a good deal for Miami getting a proven, still young starting Left Tackle that fits Miami's zone blocking scheme.

It is now the money part that we wait to see shake out.

Again, I sure hope we are trading pick #54. I am excited as we near another piece to solidifying the offensive line.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:03 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phins Rock wrote:

WHY is this a desperation move?????Miami needs a OLT, and they are looking to trade for a proven, solid 28 year old OLT that fits the blocking system the Dolphins want to use and does not fit what Andy Ried now wants to use.

Maybe Miami realizes that it is to punitive to move up to possibly get one of the so called Big 3, which by the way, for all the hype, are still unproven commodity in the NFL. It is going to be brutal for teams looking to trade up to get one of the tackles, and I would not be surprised if ALL 3 are gone by pick #5.

As far as having to pay the money, it part of the game when you are talking about an OLT. You are going to have to pay them eventually.

A proven Albert at OLT with a improving Martin at ORT would work for me.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

A proven Albert at OLT with a improving Martin at ORT would work for me.

Exactly!

Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:19 pm

I agree. I'm happy with that combo too.

But the way it looks to me is that Miami under estimated the cost of getting a LT in the draft. Both what it would cost to get one of the Big 3, and potentially what it would cost to get Armstead/Watson later. They now view Albert as the better option, but I don't see this as a move that Miami wanted to have to make a month ago.

Had they known it would be this difficult to get the LT position solidified in the draft I think they would have bumped up their offer to Long and brought him back. To me it doesn't make sense to leave a little bit of money left on the table with Long, and then turn around and give Albert that money plus the 2nd round pick to KC.

It makes sense now, but it didn't a month ago. That's why I think it lacked foresight and at this point is desperation. Not a bad move, like I said, but one that they feel they have to make at this point.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:34 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

To me it doesn't make sense to leave a little bit of money left on the table with Long, and then turn around and give Albert that money plus the 2nd round pick to KC.

PR, I have to agree that Long's health issues played into the decision. Albert has been healthy and Jake has not, therefore the risk is greater.

Hey, I am just happy if Miami gets a proven starting LT to help keep Tannehill upright and it allows Miami to possibly concentrate on other play makers in the draft. I am still very much on the Tyler Eifert bandwagon.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:39 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phins Rock wrote:

But the way it looks to me is that Miami under estimated the cost of getting a LT in the draft. Both what it would cost to get one of the Big 3, and potentially what it would cost to get Armstead/Watson later. They now view Albert as the better option, but I don't see this as a move that Miami wanted to have to make a month ago.

Had they known it would be this difficult to get the LT position solidified in the draft I think they would have bumped up their offer to Long and brought him back. To me it doesn't make sense to leave a little bit of money left on the table with Long, and then turn around and give Albert that money plus the 2nd round pick to KC.

It makes sense now, but it didn't a month ago. That's why I think it lacked foresight and at this point is desperation. Not a bad move, like I said, but one that they feel they have to make at this point.

JP, I think the Dolphins originally considered Brandon, but supposedly KC wanted a #1 for him when this began with Albert. The Dolphins wanted to sign Jake back, but I agree with them putting a value on a one time ELITE OLT that has been torn down by inuries.

I think they probably would have loved to look at getting one of those 3 tackles. But Miami is looking to come from outside the top 10, and you have teams all in the top 7 that possible could look at OL. The Dolphins wants multiple CB, OG, RB, DE, SS, TE and possibly another WR in this draft.

Now KC has dropped the demand to a 2nd, and I have read that they would be willing to take the Dolphins lower 2nd round pick.

If the Dolphins can get a proven, 28 year old OLT and just give up a pick, it makes sense to me. Yeah, you are going to have to pay him, but the Dolphins were also willing to pay Jake.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:51 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

You're 100% correct Rich.

Quote:
Types of Franchise Tags
There are two types of franchise tag designations: the exclusive rights franchise tag, and non-exclusive rights franchise tag:

An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams. The player's team has all the negotiating rights to the exclusive player.

A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position for the previous year, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is less. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if he signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:42 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think landing Albert would be a brilliant move if we can pull it off (and so long as he's willing to sign for the right price). While Lane Johnson is a solid prospect, and I'd love to see Miami land him at 12, the chances are slim. In addition, Johnson is not a lock to beat out Martin for the starting left tackle position in my opinion. Albert is. Albert is a proven left tackle who is excellent in pass protection, something we badly need as this team transitions to a more aggressive passing attack. Protecting Tannehill going forward is critical, getting Albert is a key step to doing that the right way.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:50 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinsfansc wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

JP, I think the Dolphins originally considered Brandon, but supposedly KC wanted a #1 for him when this began with Albert. The Dolphins wanted to sign Jake back, but I agree with them putting a value on a one time ELITE OLT that has been torn down by inuries.

I think they probably would have loved to look at getting one of those 3 tackles. But Miami is looking to come from outside the top 10, and you have teams all in the top 7 that possible could look at OL. The Dolphins wants multiple CB, OG, RB, DE, SS, TE and possibly another WR in this draft.

Now KC has dropped the demand to a 2nd, and I have read that they would be willing to take the Dolphins lower 2nd round pick.

If the Dolphins can get a proven, 28 year old OLT and just give up a pick, it makes sense to me. Yeah, you are going to have to pay him, but the Dolphins were also willing to pay Jake.

Tony I think it's the top 3 or Brandon Albert for the Dolphins. I do not think they will be happy with Fluker, Watson or Armstead. They need a more ready starter.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:33 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I agree swerve.....

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:11 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

BTW, Andy Reid is now saying that he misspoke. I guess he isn't on the "in" as far as personnel.

Omar Kelly wrote:
Andy Reid admits Dolphins can talk to Branden Albert's agent

The Branden Albert trade saga started to turn into a he said, she said soap opera on Thursday. But by nighttime things had calmed down.

A day after the Sun-Sentinel reported the Miami Dolphins and Kansas City Chiefs had begun serious talks about trading the veteran left tackle for a second-round pick, Chiefs coach Andy Reid told local reporters the Dolphins didn't have permission to talk to Albert's camp, which would prevent Miami from hammer out terms on a new contract.

However, during a Thursday night interview with ESPN, Reid admitted he "misspoke," and acknowledged that Albert's agent does have permission to negotiate with Dolphins executives on Albert's behalf.

"We haven't talked for days," Reid said, referring to dialog between Kansas City and the Dolphins. "That's a dead issue."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... l+Blogs%29

Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Of course, this is now a hurry up and wait situation with Albert.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:47 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'm pretty confident that a deal will get done between the two sides before the draft is over. It may not happen before day one, but I'm confident that it will get done and we will have our guy to protect Tanny's blindside

Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:50 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

cspooner13 wrote:
I'm pretty confident that a deal will get done between the two sides before the draft is over. It may not happen before day one, but I'm confident that it will get done and we will have our guy to protect Tanny's blindside

Probably on Friday morning, before the 2nd round. Ireland would be smart to wait until after the 1st round, just in case...

Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Mike Jurecki of XTRA Phoenix is "hearing" the Dolphins and Chiefs LT Branden Albert are negotiating a new contract.
Miami would send one of its two second-round picks -- either No. 42 or 54 overall -- Kansas City's way if a deal gets hammered out. We have no reason to believe one won't be agreed upon. Albert is likely seeking upwards of $8 million annually on a new deal. The Chiefs traded their original second-round pick to the 49ers as part of the Alex Smith trade. Jurecki is a local Arizona reporter, but he is a reliable source with good scoops.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:50 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:
Mike Jurecki of XTRA Phoenix is "hearing" the Dolphins and Chiefs LT Branden Albert are negotiating a new contract.
Miami would send one of its two second-round picks -- either No. 42 or 54 overall -- Kansas City's way if a deal gets hammered out. We have no reason to believe one won't be agreed upon. Albert is likely seeking upwards of $8 million annually on a new deal. The Chiefs traded their original second-round pick to the 49ers as part of the Alex Smith trade. Jurecki is a local Arizona reporter, but he is a reliable source with good scoops.

I saw this on Rotoworld and it the same story as well. Looks like this is coming closer and closer to getting done.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]