View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Don't believe the Dolphins will look to trade up 
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Don't believe the Dolphins will look to trade up
We are now 11 days away from the 2013 NFL Draft, and we are now deep into the Lying Season. Rumors are flying left and right about what teams like this player and this team does not like that player. Also, we find out about all the misgivings of these kids as well, as team try to drive a kid value down so they can land a kid.

You can include the Miami Dolphins in this game also. Jeff Ireland likes all and every player out there right now, and this is what he wants the rest of the NFL to think as well. He also wants you to believe he very much wants to trade up to get one of the so called Big 3 offensive left tackles in this draft, Luke Joeckel of Texas A & M, Eric Fisher of Central Michigan and Lane Johnson of Oklahoma.

For what it is worth, I do believe Miami would love to get up to the #3 spot to get either Joeckel or Fisher, which ever one of those kids that Kansas City did not take with the 1st pick of the draft. Problem is, there are MANY variables here that could make Miami attempt to get up to get either kid VERY COSTLY.

Let's take a look at the top 7 of the draft, Kansas City, Jacksonville, Oakland, Philadelphia, Detroit, Cleveland and Arizona. You can make a valid case for 5 of the top 7 teams on that list needing and offensive tackle. There are rumors out that Detroit has been talking with Jacksonville to get to #2, so that they can secure an OLT. Remember that Detroit has lost BOTH offensive tackles this off season. Sure, they lost both defensive ends, but the Lions have HUGE money invested in QB Matthew Stafford. Most believe the Cheifs will look to take OL with the 1st pick, either Joeckel or Fisher. Philadelphia has OLT Jason Peters coming off of tearing his Achilles Tendon twice, and we KNOW how bad the Arizona offensive line has been the past few years. Now that they have QB Carson Palmer in the fold, they to want to know secure an OLT. Jacksonvill needs EVERYTING, and at this point has not had any negotiations with OLT Eugene Munroe, who will be a free agenst after the 2013 season.

I think you can see that not only are the Dolphins looking to go outside of the top 10 to get into the top 5-6 possibly, but teams that are ahead of Miami also want what the Dolphins want, one of the so called Elite 3 OLT. If you did not have this scenario, then perhaps the Dolphins could look to move up without having to deal with the so called Draft Guide in regards to draft pick compensation. But with so many teams actively wanting OLT in that top 7, the Dolphins are going to have to give up a BOUNTY of picks. To many picks in my eyes and I believe Jeff Ireland eyes as well. Ireland has NEVER traded up in the 1st round. HE has traded down, and I do believe this is the route the Dolphins will possibly take or just stand pat at #12.

And for those like Omar Kelly that are saying that EVERYBODY wants to trade down, it can be done. Who was thinking a few years ago that San Diego was looking to trade up like they did with Miami and come up and get Fresno State RB Ryan Matthews.

There are some intriguing scearios that have been laid out, but it is always the one you don't think about that comes to bear.

Just like many of us, I am a big fan and would love to do this for a living, as it would be a dream come true. But I don't do this for a living, like a lot of us on any fan site. ProFootballWeekly.com does this for a living. They follow the NFL Draft and prospects in the draft. They believe this is a deep, talented draft in regards to offensive line, in offensive guards and tackles. I believe the Dolphins, while they most likely in my opnion will not trade up in the 1st round, may look to trade up in the 2nd round to secure someone like Arkansas-Pine Bluff OLT Terron Armstead, Florida State OLT Menelik Watson, if he makes it into the 2nd round or Oregon's OLT-OLG Kyle Long.

The countdown continues...........

Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:48 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Don't believe the Dolphins will look to trade up
Quote:
I believe the Dolphins, while they most likely in my opnion will not trade up in the 1st round, may look to trade up in the 2nd round to secure someone like Arkansas-Pine Bluff OLT Terron Armstead

Yessir. I know we're in big agreement there.

To me, the difference between Armstead and Johnson just isn't worth the picks to move up. You'd essentially be trading Armstead and the #12 pick for Johnson...Absolutely no need for that.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:53 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Yes! Could not agree more with this

Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:08 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

100% in agreement.

I agree with Pro Football Weekly that this is a deep draft at offensive line.

Offensive line, defensive line, cornerback and receiver is where it is at this draft. All needs for our team.

Tight end is not so deep. Quarterback, forget about it...

I like stading pat or trading down, I like addressing corner, pass rusher or even receiver in the first round and looking for a tackle in the second.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]