View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 the Dolphins really like Ertz and Eifert 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post the Dolphins really like Ertz and Eifert
Quote:
The Dolphins "really like" Stanford TE Zach Ertz.
They also reportedly "appreciate" Notre Dame TE Tyler Eifert. Tight end is certainly a trouble spot for the Dolphins, but Eifert would be a slight reach at No. 12. Ertz could still be on the board when they pick at No. 42. Ertz leaves much to be desired as a blocker, but would be an immediate pass-catching threat.

-Rotoworld

Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:25 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: the Dolphins really like Ertz and Eifert
A guy that I haven't heard anyone mention is Gavin Escobar, the TE out of San Diego State. He's only rated 4 points behind Eifert according to the NFL.com ratings, and he should probably be there in the late second or early third round.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:46 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Someone here loves Gavin... I think it's Swerve actually. Been touting him for awhile here.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:51 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

cspooner13 wrote:
A guy that I haven't heard anyone mention is Gavin Escobar, the TE out of San Diego State. He's only rated 4 points behind Eifert according to the NFL.com ratings, and he should probably be there in the late second or early third round.

Travis Kelce from Cincinnati is my favorite after Eifert, only red flag is he was suspended couple years back but no trouble since then. 4.6 40 and a decent blocker, catches with his hands too!

Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:00 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

MdDolfan wrote:
Travis Kelce from Cincinnati is my favorite after Eifert, only red flag is he was suspended couple years back but no trouble since then. 4.6 40 and a decent blocker, catches with his hands too!

NFL.com likes him slightly more than Escobar and compares him to Gronk. The off the field issues are what worry me though. And the fact that he only has one year of production. Makes me wonder just what exactly you'd be getting from the guy. I think Escobar is the safer pick, though I will concede that Kelce probably has more upside

Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:19 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

cspooner13 wrote:

He will be gone early in the 2nd round. If we don't get Eifert, I want Escobar with the #42 pick. I don't like Ertz. I want the complete package, a TE who can block. Michael Egnew can't block, neither can Clay. We need a blocking TE since Fasano is gone, he was one of the best blocking TE.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:20 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

StereoMike wrote:
He will be gone early in the 2nd round. If we don't get Eifert, I want Escobar with the #42 pick. I don't like Ertz. I want the complete package, a TE who can block. Michael Egnew can't block, neither can Clay. We need a blocking TE since Fasano is gone, he was one of the best blocking TE.

I'm not sure that I agree that he'll be gone early second round. I'm thinking more late 2nd or early third, but what do I know? I agree that we need a TE that can not only run routes but is a good blocker, though I'm not ready to give up on Egnew just yet. I still think he might be able to develop that part of his game. Hopefully I'm right, cause I liked the kid coming out of college

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:23 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

StereoMike wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:

Kelce is a much better blocker than Escobar and more explosive. If he checks out in regards to what Philbin thinks of his one off the field incident, Kelce is a major consideration.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

IF Miami goes for a tight end, I hope it is the best one in the draft and that is Eifert. Stay at #12 or move out several spots and get him later, but either way, I hope the fins get him.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:23 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Eifert will not make it past round one. He is a perfect choice for Miami. Top tight end in the draft. Go corner and pass rusher in round 2.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:16 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Eifert will not make it past round one. He is a perfect choice for Miami. Top tight end in the draft. Go corner and pass rusher in round 2.

So when do you address LT? In the third?

Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:59 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

cspooner13 wrote:

Escobar is my favorite tight end in this draft Spoon, He's the best value tight end.
He just glides and snatches everything that comes near him.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:20 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

cspooner13 wrote:
FrustratedFinFan wrote:

ya really!!! Nobody wants to draft unsexy players, but we'll be royally F'ed if we don't get Tannehill some real protection.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:23 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

If we're not going to draft one of the top 3 LT's, then we have to take on in the second round. I don't think we can afford to wait until the third

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:37 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

cspooner13 wrote:
If we're not going to draft one of the top 3 LT's, then we have to take on in the second round. I don't think we can afford to wait until the third

absolutely! and I don't want Watson, I'd much rather Armstead.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:31 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Me too, but I'm pretty high on Watson too

Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:57 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

the Bruce Campbell comparisons scare me. Some scouts say he's at least a year away from being an NFL tackle.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:00 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I would still go for Eifert with the first pick, but couldn't agree more that Miami absolutely needs a starting LT. I am still on the encouragement of drafting the best offensive lineman you can in the second round, but also IF you can get Branden Albert for a 3rd or 4th round pick, consider making that move. Then you have a 28 year old starting LT, who was ranked liked 12th or 14th overall and you get someone who is experienced and certainly good enough to help keep Tannehill upright.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:19 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I've read Egnew actually has better metrics than Ertz and is probably a better blocker. Doesn't sound to me like Ertz fits the bill of what Miami is looking for, or, maybe already has in Egnew if they give him another year to develop.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:40 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

jammer wrote:
I've read Egnew actually has better metrics than Ertz and is probably a better blocker. Doesn't sound to me like Ertz fits the bill of what Miami is looking for, or, maybe already has in Egnew if they give him another year to develop.

Rather Jordan Reed alot later.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:55 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

cspooner13 wrote:
FrustratedFinFan wrote:

Why not? We have tried the 1st round and 2nd round and that hasn't worked out so well....although I think Martin still might work out, with some bulking up in the weight room.

I also think there is still a good shot at getting a quality free agent OT.....and with that, the team can fill more glaring holes, like cornerback(s), another pass rusher, that top TE or WR, and I think the team needs a running back to push Daniel Thomas.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:14 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'm still not convinced that we're not going to make a play for either Albert, Winston, or Clabo. Which would let us take a more skilled player.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:25 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I think Ireland is honestly just keeping his options (and his phone lines) open. We may not take a OT in the first 2 rounds because of how things unfold, but if that happens, we'll have Winston on speed dial. If that is true, then it means we have invested highly in helping some other position(s) of need such as CB, pass rusher, TE...

I am confident that one way or another the O-line will be addressed, probably repeatedly. Personally, if we end up with Eifert I will be happy, but if we end up with one of the OTs, or one of the top CBs at 12 I will be just as happy. I don't think there is a pass rusher that is a scheme fit that seems to be worth the 12th pick, but I am no draft guru.

What we MUST have is impact players from this draft. We need 2 or 3 guys that make a difference this year, or this draft will be seen as a failure. That's a high standard, but should be expected with the picks that we have.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:39 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Toilolo from Stanford is a great redzone threat with his jumpball skills and is a solid blocker because of his massive size. He'd be able to complement Keller this season. Then next year we could address the tightend situation again if Keller leaves in free agency.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]