View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Dolphins among NFL leaders in drafting OL in first two round 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Dolphins among NFL leaders in drafting OL in first two round
Two time Super Bowl Champs New York Giants have not drafted an OLman in the top two Rds. during this time.

Quote:
Since 2004, the Dolphins have used first-round draft picks on tackle Vernon Carey (2004), tackle Jake Long (2008), and center Mike Pouncey (2011).

During that same time they’ve used two second-round picks on offensive linemen – center Samson Satele (2007), and tackle Jonathan Martin (2012).

That means 26 percent of the Dolphins’ first- and second-round picks (five of 19) over the last 10 years have been used on offensive linemen.

How does that compare to other teams?

New England has drafted three offensive linemen among its 26 first- and second-round picks over the last 10 years. That’s 11.5 percent. The first-rounders were tackle Nate Solder (2011) and guard Logan Mankins (2005).

Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:20 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: Dolphins among NFL leaders in drafting OL in first two round
But the team that did it more than the Dolphins made the Superbowl last year and the NFC Championship game the year before.

So there is a counter argument to the argument.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:02 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
But the team that did it more than the Dolphins made the Superbowl last year and the NFC Championship game the year before.

So there is a counter argument to the argument.

Did they win? Seriously though. They had their play makers on the team first. Crabtree, Davis, Gore and argumentative Smith. So looking at their team. OL was the biggest need and they did not trade up for them either.. Also, looking at the 2010 draft, it was lacking play makers. The play makers left on the board were Mathews, Bryant & Thomas who did not go until the 20s. Was not a huge fan of Mathews that high.

Argument could be made they should have went Bryant. Maybe they win the SB had they drafted Bryant.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:31 am

Dphins4me wrote:
They had their play makers on the team first. Crabtree, Davis, Gore and argumentative Smith. So looking at their team. OL was the biggest need and they did not trade up for them either.

We addressed our playmakers in free agency with Wallace and Keller. Granted Keller is on a "show-me" contract.

Joe Staley was a 49er before Michael Crabtree. They also took a right tackle with the 11th pick and a guard with the 17th pick in the 2010 draft. So they basically did all the big "no no's" we're talking about on these forums. Taking a right tackle in the first round, and an even bigger sin, taking a guard in the first round.

Point being there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Not that I am for trading up to grab a tackle, I think I've been clear that I am against it. But taking offensive linemen high in the draft is not a guaranteed recipe for disaster.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:40 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I didn't mind drafting offensive linemen in the first couple of rounds. I think we see time and again that investing in the OL gives you a good running game and gives the QB time to pass the ball. Unfortunately incoming GMs think it is ok to get rid of players from the other regimes without finding a way to use those players. Satele would have made a good guard or tackle.

A lot of teams have success finding offensive linemen later in the draft. Most of our 'projects' end up not being backup material.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:52 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:

We addressed our playmakers in free agency with Wallace and Keller. Granted Keller is on a "show-me" contract.
Miami needs more. Really did not understand the Gibson signing considering the Hartline signing. Miami still lacks overall speed at the Wr position.

Rich wrote:
Joe Staley was a 49er before Michael Crabtree.
Came at Pick 28, but came at the cost of a future No. 1 pick. Cost them the No. 9 pick the following yr.

Rich wrote:
They also took a right tackle with the 11th pick and a guard with the 17th pick in the 2010 draft.
Yes, which was what I referenced.

Rich wrote:
So they basically did all the big "no no's" we're talking about on these forums. Taking a right tackle in the first round, and an even bigger sin, taking a guard in the first round..
Can't speak for all, but I've never said it was wrong to draft an OLman in Rd. 1. Said it was wrong to take an OLman over equally slotted play makers.

Rich wrote:
Not that I am for trading up to grab a tackle, I think I've been clear that I am against it. But taking offensive linemen high in the draft is not a guaranteed recipe for disaster.
Didn't say it was. Just that teams that pass on play makers when their is a need for one in order to draft an OLman are not making the wisest decision IMO.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:01 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

but we took Ted Ginn???? LOL

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:20 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:
but we took Ted Ginn???? LOL

Ted Ginn was not considered a play maker at the WR position. He was a returner.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:44 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Using one example as a counter argument is not convincing.
The problem for the Dolphins is not that they have drafted OL in the first two rounds. The problem(s) have been poor coaching, a coaching merry-go-round, poor drafting strategy and poor drafting execution.

That's a lot of higher level problems and the results on the field have showed it.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:02 pm

degs wrote:
Using one example as a counter argument is not convincing.

Neither is using one example as the initial argument...

Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:15 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Dphins4me wrote:
Two time Super Bowl Champs New York Giants have not drafted an OLman in the top two Rds. during this time.

Quote:
Since 2004, the Dolphins have used first-round draft picks on tackle Vernon Carey (2004), tackle Jake Long (2008), and center Mike Pouncey (2011).

During that same time they’ve used two second-round picks on offensive linemen – center Samson Satele (2007), and tackle Jonathan Martin (2012).

That means 26 percent of the Dolphins’ first- and second-round picks (five of 19) over the last 10 years have been used on offensive linemen.

How does that compare to other teams?

New England has drafted three offensive linemen among its 26 first- and second-round picks over the last 10 years. That’s 11.5 percent. The first-rounders were tackle Nate Solder (2011) and guard Logan Mankins (2005).

Well, I think what is missing in this analysis is that since 2004 we've had what, 4 regimes ?? Not like the pasties or g-men... Makes a huge difference when you look at who and why we draft folks...

Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]