View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Phins Rock's 7 Round Miami Dolphins Mock 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phins Rock's 7 Round Miami Dolphins Mock
JP wrote:
7 round Dolphins mock
Written by JP
Wednesday, 10 April 2013

We're just over two weeks away from the draft and we still have no idea who Miami will be taking with the 12th pick, realistically. In 2010 it was no secret the Dolphins loved Jared Odrick and it was also known how much Miami would love to trade down. In 2011 EVERYBODY had Mike Pouncey mocked to Miami (except this guy), and last year Ryan Tannehill was a Dolphin before Mel Kiper started gelling his hair.

This year however, Miami only has one major "need", and it doesn't seem like something realistically capable of being taken care of in the first round. The cost to move up for Lane Johnson is too high, and there's no chance he falls to the Dolphins at number 12.

That leaves a plethora of solid options open to Miami. Jeff Ireland could elect to add a dynamic pass rusher opposite Wake; something I've wanted badly for now the 4th straight Off Season. The Dolphins could elect to add another weapon in the passing game for Ryan Tannehill with both Tavon Austin and Tyler Eifert likely to be available. Corner is also a legitimate option, depending on how they feel about Desmond Trufant. Miami has also shown plenty of interest in Safety Kenny Vaccaro.

Here is how I feel Miami could attack the draft:

*I've written up breakdowns on several players you won't see on the blog, and deleted them because I changed my mind. That's how torn I am and how afraid I am that they'll feel they HAVE TO trade up for Lane Johnson.

And via process of elimination, the Dolphins draft...

1) Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame - Eifert has the least going against him. The only real argument against Eifert is value, but even that isn't a strong one given how far ahead he is of every other TE in this class. Rhodes isn't a scheme fit and both him and Trufant aren't far ahead enough of the other CB's for me to take at 12. Fluker isn't what Miami is looking for at 12. No way the Dolphins are getting away with drafting a guard in the first round, so Cooper and Warmack are out. Tavon Austin has a lot going for him, but as of right now a lot going against him as well; need and size. He is #2 on my list though. Werner is a good player, but not special enough to take that high. Jones and Mingo aren't fits given their size, and Carradine is a reach at 12.

Eifert adds the size Miami needs at pass catcher, the depth they need at TE, the young TE they need to groom under/with Dustin Keller, and the ultimate weapon in any quick pace offense; a big time, versatile, athletic 2 TE set. I had the pleasure of watching Eifert play in person this past season and he was even more fluid than he looks on tape. Having gotten to see Gronkowski play in Training Camp, Pre Season games and regular season games up here in Foxboro, I can tell you Eifert is as natural catching the football as Gronk, and is probably more athletic in the open field. That said, he doesn't have the strength or utilize his size like Gronkowski is able to in the red zone, in traffic, or as an inline blocker.

I think Eifert and Keller could produce a top 5 TE combination in the game immediately, and it gives massive flexibility to your offense. While there are other solid TE options later, none provide the upside that Eifert does. He's an immediate game changer for your offense.

**TRADE** Miami trades up from the 42nd overall selection into the 30-35 range. They give up a 4th round pick.

2a) Terron Armstead, OT, Arkansas Pine Bluff - The Dolphins need to take care of the offensive tackle position. Period. Whether it be in Free Agency with Eric Winston/Tyson Clabo, through the draft, or a combination of both, the Dolphins will acquire at least one recognizable name. Armstead is one of the best athletes in the draft at any position. He turned down several offers from Division 1 schools in order to go to Arkansas Pine Bluff so that he could run track and field. That track speed showed at the combine as he ran a faster 40 yard time than Anquan Boldin.

Armstead has the prototypical height, weight, and long arms for an NFL OT. Combined with his athleticism Armstead has huge upside, and could very well be this draft class' Duane Brown. All of these measurable show up on tape as well. Armstead is physical and violent with his hands, has very quick feet, gets down the line of scrimmage laterally and to the second level effortlessly, shows good strength run blocking and good balance in his pass protection. At the Sr. Bowl Armstead had a couple of slip ups technique wise going up against legitimate NFL competition, but overall showed that he belonged. With some more development, I don't see any reason why Armstead can't become close to, if not as good a lineman as the "big 3" of the class. He's a good player, a great scheme fit, has huge upside and fills Miami's biggest need. He's an easy pick if he gets to 42, but I have a feeling Miami would have to move up for him, which isn't a big issue in my opinion.

If for nothing else, I want Armstead in Miami so that we have somebody with the nickname: Terronosaurus Rex.

2b) Alex Okafor, DE, Texas - Probably the most under rated DE in this year's class (at least in my opinion), Okafor consistently got better at Texas. Miami is in need of another pass rusher for a variety of reasons, and Okafor is good value here in the late 2nd round. Here are my quick notes that I found from watching Okafor during the season: Get's off the ball well; very good first step, especially in a 2 point stance. High Motor. Agile. Strong at point of attack against the run and uses long arms well to get off blocks. Over pursues the run game too much though; heads straight up field too often, giving up lanes even on early downs. Relies on first step quickness to get around OT; can he bend/use his hands during initial rush though?

Tony Pauline has reported recently that he hears Miami will "draft big" after going for the opposite approach in Free Agency. To me, that signals to DE, OT and TE being of priority for the Dolphins. Coincidentally I gave them those 3 positions with the first 3 picks, but a CB could absolutely slip into one of these spots.

3a) Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon St. - I think Poyer has some major deficiencies in his game. However, in the slot in a zone defense, I think he would fit in well. Miami is rumored to like Poyer a lot and they can't afford to go through the first two days of the draft having not acquired a corner. The 2nd Day of the draft is filled with similarly grades corners, and Miami should be able to get one they like around this spot, whether it be Poyer or not.

Jordan is lacking in vertical speed and needs to get much better as a tackler, but I really like his instincts. Poyer seems to diagnose and react to plays about as well as any CB I've studied in this year's class, so it's not a surprise to hear the Dolphins have a lot of interest in him given they want to run a lot of zone (reportedly).
Brandon McGee

3b) Brandon McGee, CB, Miami - I expect Miami to double down on the corner position in Day 2. Grimes is potentially a 1 year rental, Richard Marshall is likely in his last season in Miami and both are coming back from serious injuries. Not only that, but you don't have anything reliable behind those two players. The Dolphins need immediate competition and depth at the position, as well as young players to develop for starting roles in 2014. Here is a scouting report I put together on McGee a few weeks ago for the blog:

McGee fits the stereotype of a modern day UM prospect to a T. Very talented, and very raw. McGee was inconsistent throughout his career at Miami, but when I went back and watched a few of his games after the season, I saw an extremely promising corner. To me, he's a slightly longer, stronger version of Sam Shields. I like him a lot. He's fast, has very good closing speed, has smooth hips and light feet, and is physical in both coverage and the run game...He has the makings of a good CB if he's developed well. I had him as a 2nd-3rd round talent back in January when I first started to do work on him; at the time the highest grade I found for him was a 6th-7th round grade. Right now the hype is that he'll be gone in early Day 3 and I'm afraid his "stock" will continue to rise...Or in other words, scouts actually view him the way I did, as a 2nd-3rd round pick, and the public will finally catch on as we get closer to the draft. I think anywhere in Day 3, McGee is a steal.

***A couple of notes before I continue to Day 3 that weren't necessarily reflected in my mock. Miami has paid a lot of attention to multiple high round Safety prospects. With a lack of depth at the position and Chris Clemons on a one year deal, I could see Miami attacking safety early on in round 2 or 3. The Dolphins have also shown a lot of interest in some Day 2 RB's, most notably Giovani Bernard, who reminds me a lot of Lamar Miller. A lot of people feel that Miami could add a DT early in the draft, however I think between Jared Odrick likely moving inside (especially if a DE is added), and the continued development of Kheeston Randall, I don't see it taking priority early on.

5) Zac Stacy, RB, Vanderbilt - I have a thing for SEC running backs. To me, if you look like you have good burst, power and are productive in the SEC as a RB, you can be productive in the NFL. Stacy has good power and balance; he always seems to break at least one tackle on every run. Stacy also has really nice acceleration and change of direction, and puts a lot of effort into his pass protection. He runs very hard and downhill, and I think would make a nice scheme, both in terms of how he would compliment Miller as well as how he fits the type of blocking scheme Miami wants to go towards.
Bacarri Rambo

5b) Bacarri Rambo, S, Georgia - Miami will absolutely load up on DB's in the draft; both at safety and CB. Rambo reminds me of Reshad Jones in a lot of ways, and I think could fall into the later portion of the draft for much the same reason Jones did. Rambo is immature on and off the field and has many of the same coverage concerns that Reshad did coming out of UGA. However, he was extremely productive in the SEC and has a tremendous amount of talent. I think Miami could go back to Athens to add another DB.

Rambo is also a huge favorite of our draft expert, Tony Simmons.

7) Don Jones, Safety, Arkansas St. - As Tony Simmons pointed out in his mock draft, Miami has shown a lot of interest in Jones. They'll be adding plenty of DB's on draft weekend.

7) Quinn Sharp, Kicker/Punter, Oklahoma St. - YES! A kicker and punter in one. How there aren't more I'll never know, but Sharp is likely exclusively a kicker at the next level. Miami will likely be adding competition for Carpenter.

7) A Defensive Tackle - Who knows who, but Miami will likely add a DT late in the draft, "as usghe". With the potential lack of depth in the recent future at the position, this year makes as much sense as any.

http://www.phinfever.com/newsite/index. ... 7&Itemid=1

Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:14 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: Phins Rock's 7 Round Miami Dolphins Mock
Nice write up, like the explanations and info on players...

I like Armstead as a 2nd round pick, his stock is rising however I do not know that we need to trade up for him... At least I am hoping we dont and can use the 4th on Swope.

For me I see Swope being brought in to be groomed for the 3rd/slot WR spot, he shined in 2011 with Tanne, has familiarity with the offense. And most importantly he adds even more speed to the position. Swope posted in the the low 4.3 range.
He is between Bess and Hartline in height at 6'0"(6'1" on some sites), however he is built bigger than both and weighs 205.

While I still would like to see a guy in the 6'3 - 6'4 210+ range as a red zone target, with Keller and Eifert I think we add pure speed at the WR position.

I do like the rest of the picks tho, I have a tough time doing mock drafts myself.. I tend to put together a board for myself of 4 or 5 BPA at need positions.
So thanks for this, gives me some guys to research I have not looked at..

The RB is intriguing, and anyone named Rambo is cool with me lmao....

Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:18 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Tyler Eifert at 12 is seriously over drafting a player. Rudolph went 42. Gronk went 42. To many other options out there in Rd. 2 for TE. He might actually make it there, besides I think the Keller signing is it for TE. They want to give Egnew another camp.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:28 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

JP, you refer to Carradine as a reach, but given that Eifert continues to be projected as a late first rounder, wouldn't that make him a reach as well?

I mean, from a need perspective, the pick totally makes sense. At 6'5" he can be that red zone/jump ball threat we still seem to be lacking. I think he is a better blocker than he gets credit for. And I agree that the game is changing and the tight end position is starting to become a weapon again. And I agree that him and Keller could make a devastating duo, and then throw in Hartline and Wallace on the outside and Bess in the slot and you have what should be an unstoppable passing game.

But I think Eifert is a player that goes in the 20s if the Dolphins don't take him.

It may be worthwhile to trade down, get some extra picks to trade back into the first round and wind up with two late first round talents. Then, I'd be 100% with the Eifert pick. But at 12, its a reach.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:34 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I agree Rich, Miami IF they were to seriously target Eifert, it may be wise to move out perhaps several spots into the low 20's and then take him. What is the trade value in return to move out from say 12 to say 21 or 22? Would that net Miami another potential 3rd rounder??

Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:38 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Opinions will fly over who is overrated, underrated and inbetween. With that said, wow, thanks for the hard work that you put into the mock PR.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:48 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:
Opinions will fly over who is overrated, underrated and inbetween. With that said, wow, thanks for the hard work that you put into the mock PR.

Ditto. Lot is typing

Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:49 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

If he works out and becomes a hall of famer is he still a reach?

I hate that term because every team values these players differently. What may seem like a reach to the experts may be just where the team that takes him has him projected.

I'd be fine with taking Eifert at 12 because it adds my favorite thing... a PLAY MAKER

Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:21 am

IamPZ wrote:

Yes, it has nothing to do with how his career turns out and everything to do with whether he would be available later.

Which is why I say if they are targeting Eifert, they should look to trade down, get an extra pick or two later in the draft and then use a couple of picks to trade back into the first round.

You then pick up Eifert and maybe pick up a tackle or corner.

The value in this draft starts at pick 17 and goes all the way to the top of the 3rd round. Therefore, we should be looking to move down and then acquire an extra 1st round pick late in the first round. We'd grab two first round players and still potentially have at least a 2nd and 3rd round pick.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:53 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Yes, it has nothing to do with how his career turns out and everything to do with whether he would be available later.

Which is why I say if they are targeting Eifert, they should look to trade down, get an extra pick or two later in the draft and then use a couple of picks to trade back into the first round.

You then pick up Eifert and maybe pick up a tackle or corner.

The value in this draft starts at pick 17 and goes all the way to the top of the 3rd round. Therefore, we should be looking to move down and then acquire an extra 1st round pick late in the first round. We'd grab two first round players and still potentially have at least a 2nd and 3rd round pick.

There really is no way of knowing who would be available but in order to trade down there has to be a player other teams would covet. Plus they'd have to worry that either TB, Carolina or New Orleans might want that player. I guess maybe Austin or Patterson fit if a receiver needy team is worried about Carolina, Rhodes for Tampa and Werner or a LB for New Orleans.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:29 am

jammer wrote:
There really is no way of knowing who would be available but in order to trade down there has to be a player other teams would covet. Plus they'd have to worry that either TB, Carolina or New Orleans might want that player. I guess maybe Austin or Patterson fit if a receiver needy team is worried about Carolina, Rhodes for Tampa and Werner or a LB for New Orleans.

Correct. I also think a lot of teams will be looking to trade down, but not a lot of teams will be looking to trade up.

We may be stuck at #12, which is probably too low for us to grab one of the top tackles or defensive ends or Dee Milliner, but too early to take some of those 2nd tier playmakers such as an Eifert.

The Dolphins may very well be forced to reach no matter what they do, unless like you said, a team has a reason to want to come to #12. Austin or Patterson may be those reasons.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:33 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
**TRADE** Miami trades up from the 42nd overall selection into the 30-35 range. They give up a 4th round pick.

You have Eifert falling into the 30-35 range, or am I clueless to something? I'm not sure if you meant something else because he probably won't fall that far.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:00 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
You have Eifert falling into the 30-35 range, or am I clueless to something? I'm not sure if you meant something else because he probably won't fall that far.

Maybe because the weakness of the overall draft, but TE have been going in Rd. 2 lately.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:02 am

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Quote:

You read that totally wrong.

He's talking about trading up from our first pick in the 2nd round. Has nothing to do with Eifert.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:11 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Rich and Jammer, what you guys just said is the reason I have the pick at 12. In a perfect world you squeeze more value out of the pick by moving down, but realistically it's probably not feasible.

Rich, there are plenty of well respected mocks that have Eifert in the top 20. Not that mocks mean anything.

I think Eifert is just a safe, solid pick. He might not be elite, but he'll be a really good player at a premium position and provide an immediate impact. Is he a reach? As much of one as any other guy we talk about, maybe with the exception of Tavon.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:12 am

Walter Football has him going to the Bucs at #13. Although with their stupid commentary about the Dolphins offseason, they're losing credibility with me.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:16 am

Rich wrote:
Walter Football has him going to the Bucs at #13. Although with their stupid commentary about the Dolphins offseason, they're losing credibility with me.

Both ESPN guys along with rotoworld and PFW have him in the top 20.

NFL.com guys all outside the top 20.

So we'll see. Like I said it's a "reach", but PZ's right. You can't pass him up because of that. If he pans out it doesn't matter. Maybe if there were other options at premium positions, but Miami's honestly not in a good spot.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:20 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I agree with you PR, and its why I have no problem with Miami taking Eifert at 12. They are in a very tough spot in terms of value but at least they'll have their pick of mid to late round talents while other teams have to worry about what falls to them.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:35 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Eifert's certainly a better pick than Fluker or Cooper.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:28 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Gronkowski was taken in the 2nd round because he had some serious injury problems coming out...

Eifert is more of a Heath Miller(30)?

Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:51 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

For me trying to decipher who has more value at pick #12 is hard. If Miami picks Eifert there and he starts, he will have been worth it. This is a tight end threat league and he would give Miami just that....a seam threat, red zone threat, better blocker than people give credit for too.

Eifert would be a safe pick IMO.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:04 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

jammer wrote:
I agree with you PR, and its why I have no problem with Miami taking Eifert at 12. They are in a very tough spot in terms of value but at least they'll have their pick of mid to late round talents while other teams have to worry about what falls to them.

I will say this about Eifert. I won't go ape crazy if the Dolphins take him if they stay at #12. That said, if they have a chance to take Tavon Austin and pass on him to take Eifert............

Philbin has said he wanted more explosive players. Mike Wallace and Lamar Miller fit the bill to me. Austin is a homerun threat, and I am tired of reading about how you have to come up with special plays for him. He is very much a slot WR that has played RB while in college, but once again, he is a slot WR. Kid can do MUCH damage out of the slot, and there is a reason why he is considered the most explosive player in this draft.

With all that said, I DO really believe the Dolphins will look to trade up to take one of the Big 3. I would like to see them stay pat, but you can't ignore the buzz about the Dolphins trading up.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:21 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:

LOL this NEVER gets old:

Quote:
"Fluker, who is not a good scheme fit for Miami, would definitely be a reach at this juncture, but you can't put it past Jeff Ireland to pull a move like this. Ireland has irresponsibly overpaid so many overrated players this offseason. He's on tilt, as his transactions have lacked all logic."

I don't take half-assed Dolphin' bashing like this personally like some do, I just sit back and laugh. I still think that quote is funny as hell.

:)

Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:35 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Rich wrote:
JP, you refer to Carradine as a reach, but given that Eifert continues to be projected as a late first rounder, wouldn't that make him a reach as well?

I mean, from a need perspective, the pick totally makes sense. At 6'5" he can be that red zone/jump ball threat we still seem to be lacking. I think he is a better blocker than he gets credit for. And I agree that the game is changing and the tight end position is starting to become a weapon again. And I agree that him and Keller could make a devastating duo, and then throw in Hartline and Wallace on the outside and Bess in the slot and you have what should be an unstoppable passing game.

But I think Eifert is a player that goes in the 20s if the Dolphins don't take him.

It may be worthwhile to trade down, get some extra picks to trade back into the first round and wind up with two late first round talents. Then, I'd be 100% with the Eifert pick. But at 12, its a reach.

Mike Mayock said:"I don’t see much difference between the fifth and 25th picks this year."

An Gil Brandt added:"Between 11 and 50, there's a lot of good players. But they're very close between 11 and 50."

I don't care if historically the best TEs have been taken in the 2nd and 3rd round, if Eifert is your guy, you take him at #12, period.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:32 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I watched highlights videos of Eifert, and the dude can win jump ball situations and get open, but he has no YAC, at least from the videos I have seen. Out of at least 20 highlight plays, he was tackled immediately after he had his hands on the ball.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:35 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

StereoMike wrote:
I don't care if historically the best TEs have been taken in the 2nd and 3rd round, if Eifert is your guy, you take him at #12, period.

I would disagree. With the amount of ammunition that Miami has to be able to trade up in the draft, it's completely realistic to think that we could trade back up into the first round and still be able to select Eifert if he is the guy that we want. I would much rather have us draft a more useful player at 12 (whether that be a pass rusher, O-lineman, or explosive playmaker) and then make a move to get back into the first round and take Eifert.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:35 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Nice work JP thanks for the read.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:25 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
The Sideline View's Lance Zierlein does not expect a TE to be selected in the top 15 picks.
"Eifert is pretty good, but certainly not special - at all," Zierlein tweeted. Some have pegged the Irish tight end as the top skill position player in this draft and have given him a top 20 grade. We think he goes off the board in the first-round, but the large group of tight ends will likely be drafted during the second day.

-Rotoworld

Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:45 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

cspooner13

I agree with the thought of moving out of pick #12 and IF Eifert is the guy and they are extremely confident he will slip further in the draft, then that is a smart move for sure. However, on the other hand, I don't view him a wasted pick at #12 either as it comes down to filling needs with players that can contribute from day one and I believe Eifert certainly can be that guy. If Ireland targets him and feels another team will swoop in and get him, I believe they will take him at the spot.

You mentioned going after more "useful" picks if they stay at 12 and again while I agree, I have to say as long as Miami is smart and drafts that immediate contributor, the pick will be a successful one.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:21 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:

Weaknesses: Very serious durability concerns (back)

Doesn't maximize Y.A.C. Lacks some running vision in open field

Doesn't have top-end athleticism or agility Run blocking technique a little inconsistent

Might have some rust as a rookie (didn't play football in 2009
)

Gronkowski draft report from Walter football....

Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:11 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

what a coincidence.....

Quote:
League sources believe the Dolphins may actually trade back from No. 12 in the draft if the tackle trio of Luke Joeckel, Eric Fisher and Lane Johnson is already off the board.
The persistent buzz has been that Miami is plotting an aggressive move up, but they're apparently willing to "trade back to take advantage of a deep draft." We still think a move up is more likely than down, but the Dolphins could target Notre Dame TE Tyler Eifert if they move back a few picks. Dustin Keller is only on a one-year contract, and Eifert is a more complete tight end.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:21 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I love the Eifert pick and I never agree with u JP. This is a weak draft and the type of matchup nightmare that Eifert presents is a relatively recent emergence in the league which provides no real solid prescedent where to draft such a player. Part of the reason Gronk was drafted later was a back issue I believe.

If Eifert can be compared to Gronk without the physical issues then its not a reach. However if they can trade back and still get him than that is obviously better. Love the pick. A pass rusher, Tackle, or Corner are more pressing but Eifert is a safe pick for a big time immediate impact.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:10 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

ggippo wrote:
I love the Eifert pick and I never agree with u JP. This is a weak draft and the type of matchup nightmare that Eifert presents is a relatively recent emergence in the league which provides no real solid prescedent where to draft such a player. Part of the reason Gronk was drafted later was a back issue I believe.

If Eifert can be compared to Gronk without the physical issues then its not a reach. However if they can trade back and still get him than that is obviously better. Love the pick. A pass rusher, Tackle, or Corner are more pressing but Eifert is a safe pick for a big time immediate impact.

ggippo, how you been doing young fella? Good to see you posting again..... :runwiththeball:

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:20 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Am I the only one who completely disagrees with the people who say this is a weak draft? It's not a sexy draft, but it's at least 3 rounds deep with quality starters at key positions. I think it's an incredibly deep draft, just not at the QB position.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:25 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

cspooner13 wrote:
Am I the only one who completely disagrees with the people who say this is a weak draft? It's not a sexy draft, but it's at least 3 rounds deep with quality starters at key positions. I think it's an incredibly deep draft, just not at the QB position.

I'm no draft expert but this draft looks weak at tier 1 talent. Especially at the skill positions. Not just QB but WR, RB and others. But there is plenty of tier 2 talent, so it is not a bad draft, but not a great one either

Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:31 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

degs wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:
I'm no draft expert but this draft looks weak at tier 1 talent. Especially at the skill positions. Not just QB but WR, RB and others. But there is plenty of tier 2 talent, so it is not a bad draft, but not a great one either

Agreed, but what it lacks there it makes up for in O-line, D-line, and DB

Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:06 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

cspooner13 wrote:
degs wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:

Agreed, but what it lacks there it makes up for in O-line, D-line, and DB

None of them score TDs so it's not a "sexy" draft.
Remember how many people think it just takes a franchise QB to win, and absolutely nothing else.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:18 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

cspooner13 wrote:

it's deep depending on what you want Spooner.
Plenty of corners, receivers, safeties, defensive tackles and guards.

I believe it's pretty thin at off. tackle, quarterback and defensive end.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:28 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:

I completely disagree with you on defensive end. Jordan, Ansah, Werner, Datone Jones, Mingo, Carridine, Hunt, Moore, Okafor, Lemonier, Gholston, Mapongo, Bass

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:43 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

cspooner13 wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

I completely disagree with you on defensive end. Jordan, Ansah, Werner, Datone Jones, Mingo, Carridine, Hunt, Moore, Okafor, Lemonier, Gholston, Mapongo, Bass

there's one top 10 end in this draft if you consider Dion Jordan an outside linebacker.
Werner and Datone Jones are solid 1st round guys . Carradine and Okafor are interesting prospects but nothing else on your list here does anything for me.

Hunt is extremely overrated, Mingo is too and Mingo is an outside linebacker.
Montgomery has plummeted because of character issues and Damontre Moore has had a total collapse since the combine.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next